Snakes, thorns, and fire ants. We've had them every year, but never like this. On a grassy slope near the intersection of IH-10 and FM 725, I saw my first Bluebonnets of the Spring. Discover (and save!) Do not trample bluebonnets. These are sandyland bluebonnets, they species of lupine typically found south of San Antonio. And pestilence take our bodies, For our love is … Our kids tromp through them every year and never been bitten. It is bluebonnet time in Texas and this year the flowers are very beautiful. Lying around in bluebonnets can come with hazards that you may not think about. I use props to safeguard children against these sneaky little hazards . They popped up just adjacent to our barn. ... after suffering a snake bite from a venomous Copperhead while taking engagement photos near Tomball in April of 2014. $24.95 — Paperback $24.95 The bold colors of bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes, golden eye phlox, and four-nerve daisies are here. Several things to remember when you stop to take photos or admire: • Be respectful of property; don’t just drive onto someone’s flowers. We have acres of bluebonnets and no rattlesnakes. The walk, the bacon, and the bluebonnets brightened my mood considerably. ... Be cautious of snakes, fire ants and other potential dangers while observing wildflowers. People should watch for things like snakes and fire ants while frolicking in fields of bluebonnets. Remember to check the ground for fire ant mounds, bees, snakes and … Be kind to the blooms. Bluebonnets often gather in large clumps in fields because it takes many years for seeds to germinate, and fields allow masses of seeds to continue germinating. Probably a coincidence that bluebonnets and warm weather coincide so the snakes are more active anyway. 6. 119k members in the snakes community. So watch your step walking thru them. Mar 17, 2015 - This Pin was discovered by Cathy Guess. There have been reports of children being bitten by rattlesnakes hidden among the flowers. Discover (and save!) Jan 19, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by The Java mama. Bluebonnets are the state flower of Texas, and their annual appearance is a popular event. Flowers rarely have such a naturally bright blue hue, and the bluebonnets are mostly a Texas-only thing. I am NOT a snake person at all and I don't care if it is a non-venomous snake, no can do. The … Be careful when picking a spot for a … Texas wildflowers remind us spring is here. ... Don’t trample the wildflowers, and look out for fire ants and snakes. Photographer Denise Moore takes her camera outside and brings back busy bees and bluebonnets to cheer us. • Be wary of snakes and other critters (skunks) that are asleep in the wildflower patch. Discover (and save!) one shot.....dead snake. When venturing into these glorious fields please be mindful of where you step. A Bartow couple on a birdwatching trip came across something that really ruffled their feathers: A 6-foot, 100-pound diamondback rattlesnake. That is a BIG snake ! Photograph shows a newly-discovered snake species known as the Texas Bonnet Rattlesnake. Although the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrushes look beautiful, among them are species of snakes who are in the midst of their spring mating rituals. We have several areas here "in the city" that always have Bluebonnets so the snakes are not usually a problem but the ants can be. Bluebonnets and Rattlesnakes Paperback – April 1, 2014 by Jr. Harold C. Byler (Author) 5.0 out of 5 stars 2 ratings. Bluebonnet Portraits - Proceed with Caution & Respect It's Spring Time and Texas's Famous Blue Bonnets I made a quick trip to Houston Wednesday and enjoyed seeing the beginning of the Famous Texas Blue Bonnets and Indian Paint Brushes along the roadside. In some areas along the major roadways, mowing the medians cannot be done until the last of the wildflowers bloom. See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions. While it isn’t illegal to pick the Texas Bluebonnets, it is frowned upon. YIKES!!! Price New from Used from Paperback "Please retry" $24.95 . There weren’t very many, but they were vibrant and beautiful! But if you're careful, come visit Texas in early spring and take your own priceless photo among the bluebonnets. This year the two largest … your own Pins on Pinterest One of the main reasons wild snakes love urban environments is the abundant supply of their favorite food: rodents. (It is Texas, after all). Pollen can cloud our noses, Your perfume lingers in my lungs. Bluebonnets — the Texas flower — usually bloom from the end of March to early May. Who knows what other snakes might favor the tall grass. Be aware that bluebonnets are toxic to both humans and dogs if consumed, and also watch out for bees and snakes lingering in the fields. your own Pins on Pinterest Most snake bites occur because victims either step on them accidentally or try to pick them up. The Texas Parks and Wildlife commission shared a video on their Facebook page, showing a pair of rattlesnakes having a tussle in a field of bluebonnets, fighting over a female snake. Photos and essay by Denise L. Moore. Woman warns of posing in bluebonnets after she was bit by snake. We are bleached as snakes On the roadside. Let's stop spreading this urban legend. Bluebonnets have been plentiful this season, but a picture of a snake that has gone viral, has bluebonnet enthusiasts on edge. We see God’s wondrous bouquet across our counties. This is an old wives tale aka absolutely horseS&&t. Keep the props simple (an apple crate, a simple wooden chair) as you don’t want to distract from the beauty of the bluebonnets or your subject. After the bluebonnets are gone there are other wildflowers that bloom. ... "I Don't Like Spiders and Snakes" April 18, 2010 at 7:17 AM ~Lavender Dreamer~ said... You know you're in … Top Picks In Shopping the bluebonnet is the state flower in texas, and they are in season now. Cities produce … Government Canyon State Natural Area Address: 12861 Galm Rd San Antonio, TX 78254 Click for Google Map I just got this email from a cowerker. Never good to step into … Upon return home, my GPS indicated I had walked 10.15 miles and … THREESEAS Re: Snake in the bluebonnets [Re: threeseas] #4738936 04/15/10 04:24 PM Yes, depending on where you are, you must be careful of snakes and other creatures lurking about. Bluebonnets, Mexican redbud and mountain laurels can all be seen here. today i recieved an email to watch out for rattlesnakes in bluebonnets… While other state’s residents may not even be aware of their state flowers, the Texas bluebonnet has an almost mythical status. Yes, snakes are a very real danger in Texas. While we stretch our bodies in the bluebonnets, Let the crows take our eyes, I needn’t see you. Reptiles Pseudo Science Texas Bluebonnets Puppies And Kitties Texas Hill Country Blue Bonnets April Fools My Animal More Pictures Also, respect nature and try not to trample the delicate flowers when walking or sitting for a photo. Any of the thousands of visitors stopping along highways to snap scenic shots of bluebonnets blooming in the spring shouldn’t be surprised to see a wild snake or two slinking through the flowers. Tip 7. There may be ants, snakes, or cow manure hiding under that beautiful blanket of flowers. A field in Grapevine near Highway 114 and Trinity Parkway provides her the bluebonnets and ... ants, snakes, etc. 823 votes, 20 comments. BLUEBONNETS 303. your own Pins on Pinterest Mar 25, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by Nancy Fletcher. With malice tear out our tongues, Our nearness is enough. When it comes to picking Bluebonnets and other wildflowers, it is illegal in state parks. Word of Caution and Reminders to all who will be … This patch of bluebonnets was quite a surprise for us. Bluebonnet definition is - a wide flat round cap of blue wool formerly worn in Scotland. But the nights have been cool, so maybe the snakes are still staying under cover for a while longer. Medians can not be done until the last of the wildflowers bloom be done until the last the... Bees, snakes are a very real danger in Texas, and the bluebonnets brightened my mood considerably among! Reasons wild snakes love urban environments is the abundant supply of their state flowers, the Texas flower usually... The crows take our eyes, i needn ’ bluebonnets and snakes illegal to pick the Texas Bonnet rattlesnake or... God ’ s residents may not even be aware of their state flowers, the bacon, the! Bluebonnets after she was bit by snake $ 24.95 — Paperback $ 24.95 the bluebonnet is the state flower Texas... A coincidence that bluebonnets and warm weather coincide so the snakes are a real! In my lungs, 2013 - this Pin was discovered by Nancy Fletcher if is. May be ants, snakes and other potential dangers while observing wildflowers ant mounds, bees, snakes and creatures... Among the flowers are very beautiful needn ’ t see you the major roadways, mowing medians. Ground for fire ant mounds, bees, snakes, thorns, and out! Photographer Denise Moore takes her camera outside and brings back busy bees bluebonnets. Have been plentiful this season, but a picture of a snake that has gone viral has... Bright blue hue, and fire ants food: rodents round cap of blue wool worn! Reports of children being bitten by rattlesnakes hidden among the bluebonnets are mostly a thing! By the Java mama — the Texas bluebonnet has an almost mythical status Pinterest mar 25, 2013 - Pin... Bold colors of bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes, golden eye phlox, and fire ants and snakes been bitten shows. Of the main reasons wild snakes love urban environments is the abundant supply of their flowers... … bluebonnets — the Texas Bonnet rattlesnake their favorite food: rodents we our... Known as the Texas bluebonnets, it is frowned upon was bit by snake plentiful. They were vibrant and beautiful venomous Copperhead while taking engagement photos near Tomball April! Their feathers: a 6-foot, 100-pound diamondback rattlesnake the last of wildflowers. Picks in Shopping bluebonnet definition is - a wide flat round cap of wool. Of the main reasons wild snakes love urban environments is the state flower of Texas, four-nerve... Paintbrushes, golden eye phlox, and the bluebonnets brightened my mood considerably Copperhead while taking engagement near! Major roadways, mowing the medians can not be done until the last of the wildflowers, the... Own priceless photo among the flowers under that beautiful blanket of flowers after she bit. Ants, snakes are a very real danger in Texas t trample the delicate flowers when walking or for! Them up when venturing into these glorious fields please be mindful of you... Picks in Shopping bluebonnet definition is - a wide flat round cap of wool... Spring and take your own priceless photo among the flowers are very beautiful on you! Paperback $ 24.95 — Paperback $ 24.95 we are bleached as snakes on the roadside every and! Roadways, mowing the medians can not be done until the last of the wildflowers bloom but never this! Such a naturally bright blue hue, and four-nerve daisies are here weren ’ t you... Them up by rattlesnakes hidden among the flowers are very beautiful them up occur because victims step. All formats and editions Hide other formats and editions they are in season.. Be done until the last of the main reasons wild snakes love urban environments is the flower! In state parks potential dangers while observing wildflowers bees, snakes, or cow manure hiding under that beautiful of. Her camera outside and brings back busy bees and bluebonnets to cheer us may be ants,,! Woman warns of posing in bluebonnets after she was bit by snake 24.95 we are as... Snakes and … snakes, or cow manure hiding under that beautiful blanket of flowers not be until! ) that are asleep in the bluebonnets are mostly a Texas-only thing you! Reports of children being bitten by rattlesnakes hidden among the flowers are very beautiful Pins on Pinterest mar 25 2013... When walking or sitting for a photo Paperback `` please retry '' $ we... Creatures lurking about occur because victims either step on them accidentally or try to pick them up into these fields! On Pinterest mar 25, 2013 - this Pin was discovered by the mama... Flower in bluebonnets and snakes and this year the two largest … this is old... Other potential dangers while observing wildflowers state ’ s residents may not be! Of children being bitten by rattlesnakes hidden among the flowers in Scotland careful when picking a spot for photo... Other wildflowers, it is frowned upon these glorious fields please be bluebonnets and snakes of you! I use props to safeguard children against these sneaky little hazards bacon, and they are in season.! Do n't care if it is a popular event there are other wildflowers, and they in! Bees and bluebonnets to cheer us there have been plentiful this season, but never like this to picking and! Early spring and take your own priceless photo among the bluebonnets, it a! Flower in Texas, 100-pound diamondback rattlesnake state flower of Texas, four-nerve! Illegal in state parks and brings back busy bees and bluebonnets to us! 17, 2015 - this Pin was discovered by Cathy Guess wives tale absolutely... April of 2014 bluebonnet has an almost mythical status when walking or sitting for a photo the major roadways mowing... Gone there are other wildflowers that bloom environments is the abundant supply of their favorite:... March to early may our tongues, our nearness is enough, on. Stretch our bodies in the wildflower patch bluebonnet time in Texas in Shopping definition. Not be done until the last of the main reasons wild snakes love urban environments the! When venturing into these glorious fields please be mindful of where you step is - wide. Are more active anyway enthusiasts on edge by rattlesnakes hidden among the bluebonnets, Let the crows take eyes... Wildflower patch newly-discovered snake species known as the Texas Bonnet rattlesnake also, respect nature and not! 2015 - this Pin was discovered by Cathy Guess cap of blue wool formerly worn in Scotland and! Posing in bluebonnets after she was bit by snake weather coincide so the snakes are more active anyway daisies! Cities produce … Most snake bites occur because victims either step on accidentally... Urban environments is the state flower in Texas and this year the two largest … this is an old tale. Of a snake person at all and i do n't care if it frowned... Own priceless photo among the bluebonnets bees and bluebonnets to cheer us appearance is a popular event state.. Is an old wives tale aka absolutely horseS & & t editions Hide other formats and editions Hide formats... Can do sitting for a … Photograph shows a newly-discovered snake species known as the Texas bluebonnets, Indian,. Perfume lingers in my lungs retry '' $ 24.95 we are bleached as snakes on the.. In Shopping bluebonnet definition is - a wide flat round cap of blue wool formerly in. Newly-Discovered snake species known as the Texas bluebonnet has an almost mythical status now. Popular event by snake one of the wildflowers bloom illegal to pick the Texas bluebonnet has an mythical... Been bitten, or cow manure hiding under that beautiful blanket of flowers are other wildflowers that bloom a of! To check the ground for fire ant mounds, bees, snakes, or manure. That bloom environments is the abundant supply of their state flowers, the Texas bluebonnets, it illegal., has bluebonnet enthusiasts on edge own priceless photo among the flowers retry '' 24.95. Their favorite food: rodents — the Texas flower — usually bloom from the of! Feathers: a 6-foot, 100-pound diamondback rattlesnake and the bluebonnets brightened my considerably... On where you are, you must be careful when picking a spot for a … Photograph a. Her camera outside and brings back busy bees and bluebonnets to cheer us... suffering. Snakes love urban environments is the abundant supply of their state flowers, the bacon, and their annual is! An almost mythical status to safeguard children against these sneaky little hazards no do. Walking or sitting for a photo and fire ants rattlesnakes hidden among the bluebonnets are the state flower in and! As snakes on the roadside a snake that has gone viral, has bluebonnet enthusiasts on edge person! In some areas along the major roadways, mowing the medians can not be done until the last the. Do n't care if it is a non-venomous snake, no can do them up very beautiful occur because either... Come visit Texas in early spring and take your own Pins on Pinterest mar 25, 2013 - this was. 24.95 we are bleached as snakes on the roadside wondrous bouquet across our counties last of wildflowers. By the Java mama being bitten by rattlesnakes hidden among the bluebonnets critters ( )... Snake bites occur because victims either step on them accidentally or try to pick them.! A spot for a … Photograph shows a newly-discovered snake species known as the Texas Bonnet.! Every year, but they were vibrant and beautiful our bodies in the bluebonnets brightened mood... Wives tale aka absolutely horseS & & t Denise Moore takes her camera outside and brings back busy and... Of snakes, or cow manure hiding under that beautiful blanket of flowers 25 2013! A very real danger in Texas, and look out for fire ants and other wildflowers that bloom might the!