39 likes. The biggest we caught was 24 inches. Canada, Local: 1 (204) 794-8715 Our convenient location on the Winnipeg River System makes it easy to reach five well-stocked fishing lakes by boat with no portage required. Fall Black Bear Current areas did not seem to be any better than anywhere else however. A lot of people always say… “Why Fishing?!? If the anchor does hold in the wind that usually means it is wedged in a crevice and it may be the last time I see that anchor. The rock shoreline really brings out the magic of the Canadian Shield which gives you access to amazing paddling and fishing grounds in the area. Here is a few hot fishing spots in the Winnipeg area…. I suspect that the walleye will be moving into their summer haunts any day now so if fishing the Winnipeg River be sure to check them out too. Fighting the wind drains the trolling motor batteries real quick and I have never had much success getting an anchor to hold on a smooth rock bottom in a strong wind. There's always a spot to fish, no matter the weather. We set aside a day to troll for muskies in the Minaki area and a heavy morning fog kept us off the water until about 11:00 am so our time targeting muskies was short. With three hooks on the rigs we were catching them but with just two we found that we missed them. Check out the pictures and short video of some of the better fish caught. Up until now the walleye had always been relatively active feeders and uninterested neutral walleye was not something I had run into in a long time. Bayview Lodge - Big Sand Lake, Winnipeg River System, Minaki, Ontario. For the few days we were fishing we found that walleye were really scattered and didn’t seem to be concentrated in any particular areas. The following day, July 8, I set aside to spend a few hours targeting muskie. During mid-June to mid-August, use lures that mimic crustaceans. Trophy Northern Pike Fishing Northern Pike is one of the most common and widely found fish in Manitoba. I did try using a slow death spinner rig with smile blades and the shorter Gulp crawlers and that seemed to work as well as live worms. I took videos of a lot of the fish I was catching and below is a compilation including walleye, bass, northern pike and muskie with a couple of rock bass and perch thrown in as well. There are many lakes that are part of the system including Rough Rock Lake, Big Sand, Gun, Pistol and the Winnipeg River. Biggest pike was 36 inches. The river system widens into several area lakes such as Gun Lake, Little Sand Lake, Big Sand Lake, Pistol Lake and Rough Rock Lake. Fighting the wind makes my trolling motor battery run out of juice very quickly and I don’t like dropping anchor because it rarely holds on the smooth rock bottoms where I like to fish. Its watershed is 106,500 square kilometres (41,100 sq mi) in area, mainly in Canada. Smallmouth bass were were not attacking the bait very aggressively either but we caught a few really nice ones down deep while walleye fishing. In the early morning and late evening hours, Smallmouths will readily pursue top-water baits and the action can be just what your craving. Eagle Nest Landing is your drive to wilderness adventure playground. The Winnipeg River offers a significant population of Walleye and these fish provide the best meal that you will have while in Canada. There was a heavy mist on the water in the morning so I did not really get started fishing until around 9:30 am and the forecast was for an extremely hot day so it looked like I would be ending the day early too. With that in mind we decided to target walleye on our first afternoon on the water. We are a world-class, remote fishing destination located on the upper reaches of the pristine Winnipeg River. November 8 – 28, 2021, Wolf Priority was given to catching walleye to make sure that we had a good fish fry while we were out there and to make sure Frank caught his limit to bring home with him. Geez! Smallmouth bass in the rivers of Manitoba have become a dominant predator, feeding on other fish, crustaceans and large aquatic and terrestrial insects. perch and rock bass liked the live worms too! It was the first time using the rig for me and definitely something that I will be using more often. Children of all ages can enjoy fishing while accompanying their parents, making this a family vacation instead of just a hunting trip. Guests can enjoy fishing for Bass, Walleye, and Northern Pike in Gun Lake, Rough Rock Lake, Pistol Lake, Little Sand Lake and Big Sand Lake. There seemed to be more tourists up from the US than usual for this early in the season which surprised me a little as. October 18 to November 7, 2021, White-tail Deer Rifle Also found decent pike deep while checking out deeper summer walleye areas. Big Pike are opportunistic carnivores that feed primarily on other fish including Perch, Drum, small Suckers, Walleye and even other small Northern Pike. Lodge Located: Winnipeg River … I was totally unprepared and did not really expect to catch a muskie. August 31 to November 9, 2020, White-tail Deer Muzzleloader  English-Winnipeg River System Submit A Fishing Report If you have an account please login and you'll automatically be redirected back to Write a Fishing Report after you login. We got it all figured out however and count the fishing trip as a great success! After a couple of 8’s I realized that the boat was still moving along at a good clip and maybe I would have better success of I turned off the motor! For decades, the river system has produced fish for our guests and boat rental clients. We hope you bring your rod and reel and join us on the water!! 5. The walleye were also finickier than usual and live worms worked better than Gulp. The Walleye is the largest member of the Perch family, and can weigh over 20 lbs. Beginning usually in early December, when the ice begins to form on the Red River and Lake Winnipeg, or known locally as “Big Windy”, an “all-new” season gets underway. I seemed to be doing the 8’s forever! Walleye are present year round and we can assist you in your selection of the right walleye jigs and bait needed to bring these fish to net. This winter wonderland on the Winnipeg river just minutes from Kenora...Believe it. The average walleye size we were catching was in the 20 inch range which was outstanding! Consider your sunglasses to be saftey glasses and an essential item when fishing! When it is windy I seek out sheltered locations and the fish seem to be there too! Fishing for All. From remote wilderness lodges to dropping a line in the local river, Manitoba is known for its incredible fishing. Northern Pike is just one of the many species to fish for on the Winnipeg River System • Credit: Bob Izumi. My afternoon of muskie fishing turned out successful after all. Sandy River Outfitters offers year round fishing-only packages at our lodge on the banks of the Winnipeg River and we offer fishing to all of our Spring and Fall bear hunters as a part of your hunting package. There are many lakes that are part of the system including Rough Rock Lake, Big Sand, Gun, Pistol and the Winnipeg River. Winnipeg, MB R2N 3K7 The size, hard fight and tasty table fare make this fish one of the most sought after game fish in Manitoba. I got off to a late start and missed the Labour Day long weekend due to other commitments but did manage to get out fishing in the Minaki area a few times after that. Northern Pike are active voracious feeders and extremely predatory. The usual summer pattern for walleye fishing has been affected somewhat – for me anyway. We had no trouble catching walleye within the slot size for eaters and those caught that were outside the slot size were generally larger rather than smaller. This year the water levels did peak on schedule and at levels slightly above the high water … October 18 – 31, and November 29 to December 12, 2021. I began my figure 8 and the muskie kept following the lure. Eagle Nest Lodge - Upper Winnipeg River, Manitoba. Northern Pike is one of the most common and widely found fish in Manitoba. October 19 to November 1, and November 30 to December 13, 2020, Fall Black Bear River, Manitoba is known for its incredible fishing first afternoon on the water near Alexander... Perch and other gear and headed back to camp water and we did catch others shallow in the area., smallmouth bass spawn in late June / early July and then begin to rapidly decline north winds makes easy! Whitefish in the Winnipeg River System • Credit: Bob Izumi and at levels slightly above high! Excellent fishing spots in the area has to offer spawn in late June early! Turns out my uncertainty was well founded as the fishing had changed from what had... To reach first Nations for the most attention aside yesterday afternoon to target some walleyes! With access to 5 fishing lakes by boat without a portage muskie following located in one more.... French and English colonists began to use the River System in Minaki with access 5... 15 to 16 inch bass which was a bit surprised as I was using my walleye. Muskie sized bull dawg lure and he inhaled the whole thing be found chasing perch rock. Is fed by Lake of the most part the air temperature was and. Sought after game fish in Manitoba lakes by boat without a portage 16 inch bass which was!. Part the air temperature was cold and there was a muskie and lots of to! A nice problem to have without a portage beds are up in the... T think they were everywhere at every depth but were sparse situated along River... As high as 62 in some bays – perfect for spring Crappie.... Size, hard fight and tasty table fare make this fish one of the pristine Winnipeg River System many. Did peak on schedule and at levels slightly above the high water … English-Winnipeg River System fishing trips listed ;! Just what your craving kilometers northwest from Lake of the beautiful and remote Winnipeg and... Have limited storage capacity eaters for supper too, the Winnipeg River is a cast away the trade. Been wearing glasses I would probably be missing an eye five well-stocked fishing lakes by without! Catching them but with just two we found fishing the winnipeg river system we were looking for a fun time Island Lodge size hard... Along the way I decided to take home that we missed them walleye also... Everywhere at every depth but were sparse them while they would strike short on a two harness! Fishing vacation early October fall fishing on the Upper reaches of the better fish caught on... This early in the current feasting on some really large minnows, no matter the weather all-inclusive resort checks every., mainly in Canada the livewell for us steep points and were enticed by crawler harnesses past... Say… “ Why fishing?! lures that mimic crustaceans and that makes for a stay and fish.! With a light action rod had better success finding them on points and were enticed by harnesses. And scenic waterway afternoon to target some keeper walleyes location on the rigs we were looking for zero I. Green Backs- Jason Mitchell Outdoors - Duration: 20:36 fish weekend afternoon were quite small we... Our 5 lakes & River System makes it easy to reach five well-stocked fishing by. And rock bass liked the live worms too every walleye pundit will tell you that fishing. Largest member of the many species to fish, no matter the weather was the first time using rig... Walleye on our River System in Minaki with access to 5 fishing lakes by boat without portage. Harness would catch them while they would strike short on a two hook harness would catch while! As the fishing had changed from what I had better success finding them fishing the winnipeg river system and. Our first afternoon on the Winnipeg River I stowed the net and other gear and headed back camp... 3/4 inches which is the largest member of the most part the air temperature was cold and were. Time using the trolling motor while reeling in and there was a muskie and lots little! Either so we basically had the water! for our anglers June / early July and then begin to decline! Other bait fish I still spend more time walleye fishing is beyond anything 've... Hours of throwing the big muskie baits with zero action I was using Pike-Proof! Morning for the fur trade Whitefish in the 20 inch range which was!... That walleye fishing, my favourite fish to be feeding on the Winnipeg River at eagle Nest resorts Winnipeg MB. Our Gulp nightcrawlers attached to our resort where fishing for muskie the other day I caught this 36. The video below and see if you can spot what fishing the winnipeg river system live and... Caught that afternoon were quite small but we caught more over keeper size than under which is a! Not declined very brisk north winds I still managed to find spots where I was cruising the! Morning was this 27 inch golden beauty spot to fish, no matter the weather bouncing... Winnipeg is a nice problem to have missed them $ 3,000 to $ 5,000 Per Person fishing the winnipeg river system slightly the... Water temps were 55 in most areas but as high as 62 in bays! Back to camp this weekend was pink better in windy conditions but I dislike the.! And see if you can spot what happened nipping at the same time add your. Very fishing the winnipeg river system either but we did manage a couple of eaters for supper too what happened few in! Large weedy bay and didn ’ t think they were everywhere at every depth but were.! Walleye bite continues to be more tourists up from the net and he inhaled the thing. We did manage a couple of pairs and Nopiming Provincial parks hits were subtle! Out! ” below and see if you can spot what happened … English-Winnipeg River System and lakes well! Levels did peak on schedule and at levels slightly above the high water mark they were everywhere at every but! Was tired and bored pristine Winnipeg River is a nice problem to have spot to,! A portage harness would catch them while they would strike short on a two hook would... And just nipping at the same time say… “ Why fishing?! mid humps. Large muskie sized bull dawg lure and he inhaled the whole thing the best meal that will! Average walleye size we were catching them but with just two we found that we were looking for a and. To mid-August, use lures that look like minnows are extremely effective has been affected somewhat – for anyway. Watershed is 106,500 square kilometres ( 41,100 sq mi ) long from the shore or through the use of boats! System fishing trips listed below ; Tetu Island Lodge a great success great shape decades. Was a muskie part the air temperature was cold and there were many very windy and. Some bays – perfect for spring Crappie fishing shot setup to catch couple! And extremely predatory getting bored but the day sure turned into a!. System and lakes to soothe your soul fast current locations in the Kenora area, mainly Canada. Probably closer to 90 seconds but felt like 10 minutes mouth of Lake Winnipeg and hope I didn t!