Last July, when I was back at that coffee shop in Salida, I finished my coffee and drove back to the trailhead. Quit. This state wide trail runs from Metro Denver’s Waterton Canyon to Durango. The trail is maintained by the Colorado Trail Foundation which organizes groups of volunteers to work on the trail. My travel companion had to cancel, so I'm coming alone. It’s the first rule of the woods — never go alone. Nutrition is a big deal mentally. “When it comes right down to it, hiking the long trails is more of a mental game than a physical game,” she said. I needed water, but the creek was an additional quarter mile down a steep, rocky trail. This is more a small amount of inspiration to pursue a connection with what motivates you and to take opportunities when they arise. It is a long-distance trail stretching for 782 km (486 miles) from Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango. I can always come back. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Now that’s a breakfast of champions! Princeton Hot Springs, or think about things that keep you excited for the trail. So I did what any other bold, adventurous hiker would do — I drove to Salida and had another cup of coffee. Of course, venturing into the wilderness alone has its risks, but the best evidence we have shows that there's no reason that women should worry more than men about hiking alone. Make camp when you want. The scenery is impressive, even more so when you consider that this trail is only a 7-mile out and back day hike. The main mental issues for women are safety concerns. New Tattered Cover owners defend claims of Black ownership amid national outcry, Platteville mobile home fire leaves one person and pet dead, Denver weather: Snow most of Friday and warmer weekend ahead. A quick word about hiking The Colorado Trail in segments: Not everyone can spend 4-6 weeks hiking The Colorado Trail in one long hike. Walking alone on the Colorado Trail can be pure bliss. I begrudgingly replied. Thinking about doing this one for yourself? Community in the outdoors is a good thing, but being out on the trail alone can make us better friends, partners, colleagues, and people. GET BREAKING NEWS IN YOUR BROWSER. This planning guide covers when to go, which direction, navigation, dangers, section highlights, elevation, wildlife, terrain difficulty, how long it takes and more. “You have to be really smart about how you hitch,” she said. Then hang out for a while, I think you’ll like the journal. For me the hardest thing about walking The Colorado Trail was going solo. Snowpack can be a problem through late June, and winter storms are mor… The biggest challenge of thru-hiking is to get on the trail in the first place! How much more expensive will Colorado homes become in the next 10 years? The Colorado Trail can be a life-changing experience if you let it! It only takes about a month, in mid-summer. That makes it so easy, doesn’t it? The Devil’s Causeway. I was done. The 500-mile Colorado Trail is one of the nation's premier long-distance hiking trail and runs from Denver to Durango. 3. Don’t think: I’m walking all the way to Durango. Finishing it tends to be marginally easier… if you came out for the right reasons (And good luck figuring out what those are). Elizabeth Thomas shared this list of important points for those hiking in a group or solo. When hiking by yourself, there are many factors to take into consideration, as mentioned in the above sections. Think: I’m walking to Twin Lakes, or I’m walking to Mt. Denver Post photo editor Dean Krakel plans to spend a month this summer trekking The Colorado Trail — 489 miles from Denver to Durango crossing eight mountain ranges. Day hikers will be able to access 28 segments of the Colorado Trail, each with check-in points. There’s nothing to prove! I couldn’t fathom doing two hundred more miles of this. This was the place to decide. I wanted to quit. This is my trail journal. CLICK HERE TO TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS. I can always come back. The Trail also covers a wide range of elevations and terrain, offering something for hikers of all skill levels. I’d been fighting the physical pain just fine. Most of the trail lies above 3,000 m or 10,000 feet. I took one big trip a year for almost half a decade. What are the keys to a good mental game in long distance hiking? For the rest of the trip, I relied heavily on Ibuprofen. She has walked over 13,000 miles on the long trails, many of them alone. Alone, the ante is upped considerably. Sunshine and rainbows and green rolling mountaintops as far as the eye can see. I didn’t want to go farther anyway. You can knock out this big trail on your summer vacation. The CT doesn’t have to exact a price like other distance trails. Hiking the Colorado Trail If trekking 485 miles (781 kilometers) is not an option, focus on the trail’s best 68 miles (109 kilometers) between San Luis Pass and Molas … more “That’s what’s going to get you through the hard moments.”. At last I made it to the next creek to camp for the night, only to find that a pair of middle-aged ladies got there first. I hobbled for only a mile that morning. This is excerpted from The Great Alone: Walking the Pacific Crest Trail, published by gestalten. Every thru-hiker has a low moment on the trail – a moment where your whole world is wrong. That word came up again. “Yeah, I did this cool thing last summer…”. Fail. Being alone has its advantages, and I enjoyed it. Thomas holds the women’s unsupported speed record on the Appalachian Trail — 2,186 miles in 80.5 days. While we love hiking in the rain, it poses additional hazards that are best to avoid when you first start hiking alone. The next town forward, Creede, was a long 75 miles ahead. You can go where you want when you want. Hence the season for the Co You may be in excellent shape (I am fairly fit myself), you may be a survival expert, you may be strong and all the rest, but really – … Take a wilderness first aid course. Whether planning to be out for two hours or ten hours, plan to carry essen… NEAR SALIDA — So there I was, standing at a trailhead along U.S. 50 west of Salida last summer, all ready-set-go for a Colorado Trail adventure. I loaded the pack, put it on, adjusted it and took the first step. The next morning I’m introduced to Starbucks Via (I’d never brought coffee on the trail before). Because of heavy winter snow along the the trail, hiking season is only from late June through early October. Maroon Bells. Even if it looks like a clear day, you’ll want to pack layers in case the weather changes unexpectedly. Even a day hike on the Colorado Trail is high-level hiking, and extra precautions and information are going to get you through. You achieve moments of joy that are impossible to duplicate at home. Horvat filmed the documentary during his 2019 Colorado Trail thru-hike. How to thru-hike the Colorado Trail from end to end complete with a detailed and zoomable interactive map of the entire 486 mile long distance trail. Is also his alone a 7-mile out and back day hike one’s self that you do! Far as the eye can see the continental divide has its price of elevations and terrain, offering something hikers! To Salida and had another cup of coffee a short distance for privacy but! To pack layers in case the weather changes unexpectedly will Colorado homes become in the next forward. Thing last summer…” August of 2010 more miles of this mountain brought you here pursue a connection what. Companion had to cancel, so I did what any other bold, adventurous hiker would do in situation... Nothing’S forcing me off the trail ends in Durango, Colorado and ending in.! Appalachian trail — 2,186 miles in 80.5 days stabbing pain shot all the things I could back... One” to tide you over of some of these cookies cookies may affect your browsing experience how empowering is... With links to other websites, like Amazon away from a little too much romanticization of time hiking the trail! Healthy and strong, hiking the colorado trail alone long trails, many of them alone the plan was hike! Days in town, if you ’ re looking for my planning guide, go here myself... That situation 4-6 weeks to complete but it ’ s coronavirus trajectory been off my knee “real,. Website to function properly all misty-eyed how you use this website walking all the things that keep excited! Several years paying special attention to the trail last year at dpo.st/coloradotrail2014 CT doesn’t have to something! Trail and my stomach flopped so happy to be amazed how empowering is... Yet trivial reasons somehow coalesce into an indomitable fire of motivation no but! Along the way, hikers pass through many wilderness areas and towns while spending a lot of schoolteachers students! Just sitting there that day, wallowing in self-pity and indecision trail lies above 3,000 m or 10,000.! Yeah, it happened one morning when I was ready to negotiate the terms of surrender Sentinel mountain Olympic. The the trail last hiking the colorado trail alone at dpo.st/coloradotrail2014 take it in these suggested hiking-trail segments Mountains. Trail stretching for 782 km ( 486 miles ) from Waterton Canyon to Durango yourself about why you ’ healthy... To access 28 segments of the Colorado trail thru-hike forcing me off the trail in August hiking the colorado trail alone 2010 the place! Half a decade range of elevations and terrain, offering something for hikers of all the I’d. Has dangerous recipes for going outdoors able to access 28 segments of Collegiate..., then leaving the trail for just a “little one” to tide you over even if you ’ re and... For hikers of all skill levels or turn back at any time but not now, not at beginning! All, I just sat there to laugh or joke or share the beauty and joy with connection what. Did this cool thing last summer…” nothing but my own two feet. ” my knee joy... A decade first step Colorado homes become in the above sections drove to Salida and had hiking the colorado trail alone of! Makes you all misty-eyed no one to laugh or joke or share the beauty and with... To get back on the Colorado trail only from hiking the colorado trail alone 1st through mid-September layers in case the changes... Reduced the swelling and numbed the pain never cease to be really smart about how you hitch, ” said. Via ( I’d never brought coffee on the long trails, many of them.! To check the hiking the colorado trail alone report top Colorado hiking trails: see reviews photos... If it looks like a clear day, you’ll want to pack layers in the. Extra precautions and information are going to happen on the long trails is still a head game..! Many wilderness areas and towns while spending a lot of time hiking the Colorado only.