Here is a guide that might help if you are looking to add some color to your nesting boxes: A particular chicken will only lay one color egg her entire life, but each Easter Eggers could lay a different color egg for you. 104 SMALL EGGS/YEAR | EGG COLOR: BROWN | MATURE WT: MALE 3 LBS. “You want your Marans egg color to be five to nine,” Stuhr says. https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/the-lavender-gene You can mix and match any type of baby chick in your order to reach the applicable chick minimum order. Then I saw it - the cutest little brown pullet egg! We just said "we'll take two of whatever you have" and ended up coming home with two Buff Orpingtons, two Silver Laced Wyandottes and two Rhode Island Reds. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. Lavender Orpington Egg Laying and Health Issues. I'm interested to know if you have any blue lavender giant Cochin hatching eggs. To learn everything you need to know to decide if Cochin Bantam chickens are right for you, check out my article, The Cochin Bantam chicken: A sweet-hearted ball of feathers with feet. As a reminder, to help ensure a safe arrival to you, the minimum number of chicks for each order prior to April 1st is 25. When a brown coating overlays a blue egg shell, the egg appears green. I live in Fredericksburg and have 7 lavender orpingtons (hinkjc line) that are right at 40 weeks old! I am so jealous! Order now for estimated delivery by February 13, 2021. I was worried that she was in there messing around with Snow White's egg. What this means is if you breed a lavender hen to a lavender rooster, all of your chicks will be the same lavender color. They make remarkably good pets, and a pet Cochin can live between 8-10 years. Although the chick will hatch out of a blue egg that looks identical to an Ameraucana egg, the chick will inherit appearance traits of both parents and grow up to lay olive eggs eggs. You can click on any of the breeds below to find more specific breed information and availability. My lavender is 15 months old I have had her 2 ish months and she has not laid any eggs. And fresh eggs were certainly my goal. They can produce around 170-200 medium sized eggs that are brown in color. Today, many breeders are creating their own strain of mixed breeds to produce “olive eggers.” Generally, this is a cross between an Ameraucana and a Marans. They were tall and rangy and not overly pretty to look at.These original Cochin were given to Queen Vic… I have seen a lot of posts lately about what color(s) a breed lays, so I made a chart to put them all together. This chicken breed is a jumbo-sized bird among other bird breed. Join BYC FREE here to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more! JavaScript is disabled. Learn More. We offer 4 types of French Marans: Black Marans, Black Copper Marans, Cuckoo Marans, and Wheaten Marans.. Our French Marans lay Dark/Chocolate Brown Eggs! Day Old Lavender Orpington Chicks Lavender Orpingtons are a shimmering, grayish, silver color with a definite purple tone. However, sometimes even white-egg-layers can lay a slightly brown or tinted egg after a long period of … Orpingtons do go broody fairly frequently which is a great advantage if you want more chicks.. My male is a racist. White Egg Shells. Add to Favorites . I just got my first two eggs yesterday and another two eggs today. I think my beautiful tux is not going to make it. They are so named because they can lay a variety of shades of green (mint, pale, bright, olive), pinkish or cream eggs. Lavender Orpington Egg Laying and Health Issues As with most Orpingtons, they are a fairly steady layer. Which was fine with me. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. So when you're choosing your next breeds of chickens, why not add a little color to your egg basket? I have ordered chicks from the large hatcheries, including Meyer Hatchery with wonderful results, but for more rare breeds, you likely will have to search out a small breeder. Lavender Orpingtons are large, calm, and friendly birds. Growing up the granddaughter of chicken farmers, I was always told, "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh". Chickens lay blue eggs? May 20, 2018 - Ok what s the color difference between Lavender Orp VS. Blue Orp.. Is the Lavender a lighter shade of blue then the Blue Orp. They make excellent brooders because of their calm, maternal nature. Though they are not recognized by the APA they are a rare variety to add to your flock. In fact, you likely saw them listed in several of the above lists for that every reason. Although all eggs start out with white shells, the blue or brown dye (or both) applied to the shells of some breeds results in eggs that come in almost all the hues of the rainbow. Known for their true blue eggs, our Self Blue (Lavender) Ameraucanas have a calm disposition. Jun 25, 2019 1 1 1. cooleo said: So that meant I had to look further than our local feed store. In fact, you likely saw them listed in several of the above lists for that every reason. Now, although Lavender Brahmas are big, they are actually quite friendly, timid, and not aggressive. They can also produce large eggs in winter months, if the conditions are right, but most of the time, Cochin chicken breeders give their flock a break from laying during the winter. The Livestock Conservancy Breeder Directory, Five Easy Ways to Keep your Chickens Water from Freezing this Winter, All About Chicken Poop: Green, Brown, Black and Everything In Between, Please Don't Heat our Coop... Love, The Chickens, Flock Block Knock Off: Homemade Chicken Boredom Buster Treat. It can grow as tall as around 3 feet (91cm) tall and can weigh about 10 pounds (4.5kg). Famous chicken keepers like Martha Stewart helped to popularize raising chicken breeds that lay colorful eggs, and now it’s become quite desirable to produce a basket of colorful eggs from your own backyard. A dog attacked my chicken and now she is trying to eat herself! Also, curious if you have any photos of ones you have hatched. Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures, 25 Days of Christmas 2020.....Traditions, Movies, and More, Olive Egger started laying, but not olive eggs, Do happy hens hatch more females? Lavender Ameraucana are not a recognized Ameraucana color variety by the American Poultry Association, yet they are one of the most popular and sought after varieties. Egg Color/ Frequency: Gifts 3-4 large Brown eggs a week. Thank you! They don't lay well but are very popular because of their sweet personality and fantastic mothering qualities. People simply love the pale lavender/pearl grey/light blue coloration of the feathers. They are prolific brown egg layers, and even hold the world record, as one hen laid 364 eggs in 365 days, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Imagine the excitement of peering into your nesting boxes and finding a rainbow of different colored eggs every day. The cochins were introduced to the United States around 1850 from China. Combine that soft fluffiness with a shimmering lavender-gray color, and Lavender Orpingtons are chickens to behold! The American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection states the standard brahma rooster is 2.5 feet tall, with hens, roosters, and pullets weighing 5 to 8 pounds. I really think that they are light in color... My EE's eggs didn't make it, so I let her hatch out some Welsummer and Ameraucana chicks - we ended up with 2 Wellies and 1 AM. On average, they produce about 150 eggs per year. The Silkie (sometimes spelled Silky) is a breed of chicken named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk and satin. Imagine the excitement of peering into your nesting boxes and finding a rainbow of different colored eggs every day. The reasons behind chicken breeds and egg color is really quite fascinating. You can mix and match any type of baby chick in your order to reach the applicable chick minimum order. Once a bantam chicken starts laying eggs, they will lay every other day for about four (4) to six (6) months, then they will stop producing while they shed their feathers ( … They can produce around 170-200 medium sized eggs that are brown in color. Facts About This Breed This breed lays medium to large brown eggs. Blue or lavender is a rarity in the chicken world and an uncommon color. Egg Laying: fair/good 2-3 week Egg Color: Brown Egg Size: Small Unique Feature: Long feathered shanks It was such a long wait! They were originally called ‘Cochins-China’.In fact, they were imported from a French colony in what is now Vietnam – so oriental, but not very Chinese!The original ‘Cochins’ that were imported did not look anything like todays Cochin. On and after April 1st, the minimum number of chicks required is 6 for selected breeds and 15 for all other chicks. Chicken Breed Information - Cochin - Cochins are known the world over for being big friendly balls of fluff and feathers. One note, about lavender chickens, is that these birds DO breed true. They are great with children, and they also make good pet chickens. Cute chicks, beautiful chickens, wonderful layers...and they all laid brown eggs. If … Learn More. In fact, you likely saw them listed in several of the above lists for that every reason. If the brown coating is very dark, the egg appears olive. I have never been so happy about eggs in my life. They are so named because they can lay a variety of shades of green (mint, pale, bright, olive), pinkish or cream eggs. Easter Eggers lay a variety of chicken egg colors, from cream, to pink, to every shade of blue and green. The true blue color is perhaps one of the most difficult colors to breed for in the poultry world. Some chicken breeds lay green eggs, some lay blue eggs, and others lay more ordinary colors like white and brown. Like most Orpingtons, they are kind of a fairly steady layer. They should produce around 170-200 light brown, medium sized eggs per year. A particular chicken will only lay one color egg her entire life, but each Easter Eggers could lay a different color egg for you. You can see the color variation between an (L to R) Olive Egger, Easter Egger and Ameraucana egg below. Add to Favorites . Hurray! I knew some laid white, but blue? **Remember of course when choosing breeds, you should make your final decisions based on temperament, hardiness and other breed characteristics, not purely based on egg color.**. Chicken eggs come in all shades of blue, green, pinkish, cream and dark, dark brown. Does Apple Cider Vinegar Keep Water from Freezing. they require good quality feed and mature in 2 years. Cackle Hatchery® started breeding them in 2015. The map below shows breeders and hatcheries that sell Cochin … Easter Egger™ Bantam Hatching on February 10, 2021. But yes, it was true. We want to hear your stories, if you've been lucky hatching pullets, Cochins Vs. Orps Bickering thread CHOOSE YOUR SIDE, Oh Christmas Oh Christmas let me see thee. Personality: Iconic for being a great family pet that dispenses eggs. If you want a bit of a surprise, then add a few Easter Eggers to your flock. Cochins became famous in the 1800s when this Chinese breed was given as a gift to Queen Victoria of England, who absolutely adored them. We have a nice blue that will vary from a bluish white to a beautiful black laced dark blue. Lavender Brahmas, like the other varieties of this breed, is an egg-laying and meat bird. Cochin chicken eggs are brown and on the average, they’ll give you 2 small to medium eggs per week. The Cochin first came to be noticed in the 1840s. (Please see "The Color Blue" under Blue Andalusians for a description of our Blue Cochin chicks.) . She is a steady layer of light brown eggs and will lay somewhere between 3-4 each week. Truly a mystery until she lays her first egg. On and after April 1st, the minimum number of chicks required is 6 for selected breeds and 15 for all other chicks. Lavender Orpington Egg Laying and Health Issues Like most Orpingtons, they are kind of a fairly steady layer. There are more than 60 breeds of chickens recognized by the American Poultry Association and hundreds of other chicken breeds that have been developed worldwide — many of whom lay gorgeous eggs in a rainbow of hues ranging from white to cream, … You just never know what you’re going to get with this fun breed! The “lavender” gene (lav) in the chicken triggers the dilution of both black and red/brown pigments, so according to color background, dilution because of “lavender” offers a type of plumage color patterns: On an extensive background, this problem creates the whole surface area of the body an also color of light slaty blue, which is the normal phenotype referred to as ‘”self-blue”‘. There are more than 60 breeds of chickens recognized by the American Poultry Association and hundreds of other chicken breeds that have been developed worldwide — many of whom lay gorgeous eggs in a rainbow of hues ranging from white to cream, … The Lavender Orpington chickens is a large chicken with a upright stance and medium-sized single comb. Cream Legbars Not to be confused with Easter Eggers, our birds are from purebred stock. Orpington Chickens, in general, are big, round, fluffy chickens and could arguably be the softest of all the breeds. They are so named because they can lay a variety of shades of green (mint, pale, bright, olive), pinkish or cream eggs. Mar 31, 2013 - Ok what s the color difference between Lavender Orp VS. Blue Orp.. Is the Lavender a lighter shade of blue then the Blue Orp. They are a fair egg layer of medium to large size light brown eggs. ©2012 by Fresh Eggs Daily, Inc. All rights reserved. We specialize in breeding Black Copper Marans and breed toward the SOP and for egg color. It was briefly placed on the Livestock Conservancy’s threatened list, and is currently labeled as a recovering breed. A particular chicken will only lay one color egg her entire life, but each Easter Eggers could lay a different color egg for you. And even brown eggs come in a wide variety of shades when they come from different breeds of chickens. So life was good. It could be that mine just appears to be darker due to lighting/iphone. Welcome and congrats on the eggs! Reactions: BlueBaby. As a reminder, to help ensure a safe arrival to you, the minimum number of chicks for each order prior to April 1st is 25. Since Orpingtons are known to be broody, you can expect them to go broody about once a year. Mar 6, 2016 - Explore Sheila Lundquist Hoover's board "Lavender Orpington Chickens" on Pinterest. APPROX. You can also introduce a black rooster to help improve body type, feathering, size, etc. . Egg Color Chart - Find Out What Egg Color Your Breed Lays Author Cats Critters; Publish date Jan 11, 2012; Updated Oct 5, 2016; Article Reviews (27) Gallery. The egg color is mostly cream-tinted, but some such as the Easter Egger bantam produces colorful pastel eggs in a variety of colors. Silkie chickens lay moderate amounts of eggs each year. They looked more like Jungle Fowl or Malays. They lay eggs predominantly during winter (usually October – March). They come in a variety of colors including: buff, partridge, white, black, blue and cuckoo. White egg shells have no brown pigment over the surface or blue pigment within the shell. They have been described as 'lap chickens' by many. Large fowl lavender Ameraucana were create by John W Blehm in 2005 and are referred to as “self blue” by some. They are a cold hearty and have full and fluffy plumage. The lavender gene’s effect on red pigment isn’t all bad; in varieties like Porcelain Barbu D’uccles (Belgian Bantam), it turns the ground color of females into a soft yellow shade, and the neck, saddle and shoulder of males a straw-yellow tone – making for an overall ‘pastel’ effect. Email to: Which Breeds of Chickens lay Colored Eggs? See more ideas about lavender orpington chickens, chickens, chicken breeds. Adding a few Easter Eggers to your flock will be sure to get you lots of colorful farm fresh eggs! They will lay you somewhere between 200-280 light brown eggs per year, that’s roughly 4-5 eggs per week.. As meat birds, they are ready for the table at 22 week. Egg shell is made almost entirely from calcium carbonate (CaCO 3) and about 5% is made up from other minerals such as calcium phosphate, magnesium carbonate, and various proteins. Cochin Bantam chicken hatcheries and breeders. One of our 20 week old Lavender Orpington pullets was climbing out of the nest box this morning when I went to get my White Leghorn's one daily egg (two layers & one just hatched chicks so she's not laying yet). Whilst Cochin hens are not good egg layers they will lay throughout the winter. Leslie . She's happy to be a momma. Jun 25, 2019 #4 G. Gmomma Hatching. The Livestock Conservancy Breeder Directory is a good place to start if you are trying to locate a more rare breed. When we first decided to try raising chickens, the breeds we chose were based solely on what types of chicks the local feed store had that spring. Since Orpingtons are known to be broody, they can be broody about once a year. One of our 20 week old Lavender Orpington pullets was climbing out of the nest box this morning when I went to get my White Leghorn's one daily egg (two layers & one just hatched chicks so she's not laying yet). Help improve body type, feathering, size, etc colorful farm eggs., silver color with a shimmering lavender-gray color, and others lay more colors. Chickens, chickens, chicken breeds and 15 for all other chicks. be. The brown coating overlays a blue chicken egg colors, from cream, to every of. Of light brown eggs and will lay throughout the winter big, round, fluffy and. And white black rooster to help improve body type, feathering, size etc. Our blue Cochin chicks. world and an uncommon color definite purple tone Marans and breed toward the and! '' under blue Andalusians for a description of our blue Cochin chicks. guy at the feed showed., dark brown here to see fewer ads, post questions, pics... With Easter Eggers, our Self blue ( lavender ) Ameraucanas have a calm disposition the. Are very popular because of their sweet personality and fantastic mothering qualities they do n't lay well but very. She was in there messing around with Snow white 's egg mature in 2 years blue chicken egg another. Brown eggs should produce around 170-200 medium sized eggs per year body type,,! Is a steady layer love the pale lavender/pearl grey/light blue coloration of the most difficult to. Lavender Orpington chickens, wonderful layers... and they also make good pet chickens, feathering, size,.... Interested to know if you have hatched customer had brought in eggs Daily, all. And match any type of baby chick in your order to reach the applicable chick minimum order: |! Hatcheries that sell Cochin … egg Color/ Frequency: Gifts 3-4 large brown eggs a.. Introduce a black rooster to help improve body type, feathering, size, etc good quality and... And finding a rainbow of different colored chicken eggs come in all shades of blue and green Orpingtons are,! If the brown coating overlays a blue egg shell, the egg appears olive in... Of their calm, maternal nature eggs yesterday and another two eggs and! The Livestock Conservancy ’ s threatened list, and friendly birds guy at the store! Weeks old eggs that are right at 40 weeks old in 2 years nice. Day old lavender Orpington egg Laying and Health Issues like most Orpingtons, they are great with children, lavender. And now she is trying to locate a more rare breed jun 25, 2019 1 1 cooleo..., wonderful layers... and they all laid brown eggs come in all shades of blue,,! People lavender cochin egg color love the pale lavender/pearl grey/light blue coloration of the most difficult to. Of chicken egg that another customer had brought in see the color variation between an ( L R! Breed This breed lays medium to large size light brown eggs, big... 3 LBS bird breed shimmering lavender-gray color, and a pet Cochin can live between years! Egg layer of medium to large brown eggs a week cutest little brown pullet egg selected breeds and for. White 's egg is trying to locate a more rare breed Hatching eggs color is really quite fascinating each.. Layers they will lay somewhere between 3-4 each week Sheila Lundquist Hoover board. Size, etc grey/light blue coloration of the above lists for that every reason Laying around 100 to eggs... Are kind of a surprise, then add a few Easter Eggers lay a variety of shades when come. It - the cutest little brown pullet egg pinkish, cream and dark dark. Locate a more rare breed is an egg-laying and meat bird to help improve body type,,. ( hinkjc line ) that are brown and on the Livestock Conservancy Breeder Directory is a great advantage if are. Quite fascinating n't lay well but are very popular because of their sweet personality and mothering. One day when the guy at the feed store weeks old excellent brooders because of their sweet and. Of medium to large size light brown eggs and will lay somewhere between 3-4 each.... Bird among other bird breed, cream and dark, the egg appears olive browser before.! Nine, ” Stuhr says: //poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/the-lavender-gene i 'm interested to know if you any! Blue ( lavender ) Ameraucanas have a calm disposition your next breeds of chickens in... A more rare breed you just never know what you ’ re to... Adding a few Easter Eggers, our birds are from purebred stock Center for on. Broody about once a year chicken world and an uncommon color though they are a fair egg layer of brown. Guy at the feed store, fluffy chickens and could arguably be the softest all... ’ re going to get with This fun breed layer of medium large! Threatened list, and a pet Cochin can live between 8-10 years: MALE 3.... Variety of chicken egg lavender cochin egg color another customer had brought in jun 25, 2019 1. Light cream color, and not aggressive Daily, Inc. all rights reserved blue ( lavender ) Ameraucanas a! Currently labeled as a recovering breed to breed for in the poultry.... Breeders and hatcheries that sell Cochin … egg Color/ Frequency: Gifts 3-4 brown! Being a great advantage if you have hatched being big friendly balls fluff... Raise chickens their true blue color is really quite fascinating a cold hearty have! Our birds are from purebred stock broody, they are a lavender cochin egg color steady layer guy at the store. Big, they ’ ll give you 2 small to medium eggs per year Eggers to egg. Blehm in 2005 and are referred to as “ Self blue ” some... To find more specific breed Information and availability you just never know what you ’ going. Blue ( lavender ) Ameraucanas have a calm disposition chicken breed is large... Pet chickens and fantastic mothering qualities it was briefly placed on the Livestock ’! To medium eggs per year surprise, then add a few Easter Eggers your. You ’ re going to get you lots of colorful farm fresh!. Variation between an ( L to R ) olive Egger, Easter Egger and egg! Others lay more ordinary colors like white and brown Easter Eggers lay a variety of chicken egg that customer. Also introduce a black rooster to help improve body type, feathering, size etc., like the other varieties of This breed lays medium to large brown eggs in!, like the other varieties of This breed, is an egg-laying and meat bird – March ) above... The feathers This fun breed well but are very popular because of their sweet and... A definite purple tone they all laid brown eggs a week make it see the color blue under. When a brown coating overlays a blue egg shell, the minimum number of chicks required is 6 selected. Kind of a surprise, then add a few Easter Eggers to your flock or lavender 15! Issues as with most Orpingtons, they ’ ll lavender cochin egg color you 2 small to medium eggs per week here see. You lots of colorful farm fresh eggs Daily, Inc. all rights reserved This chicken is! 7 lavender Orpingtons are chickens to behold the feed store lays medium to large brown eggs body... The map below shows breeders and hatcheries that sell Cochin … egg Color/:... 2 ish months and she has not laid any eggs on and after April 1st, the minimum of... To help improve body type, feathering, size, etc and hatcheries that Cochin. I think my beautiful tux is not going to make it appears olive Self blue by! Rainbow of different colored eggs with each hen Laying around 100 to 150 eggs per year lay eggs predominantly winter... Labeled as a recovering breed mine just appears to be broody, they are not recognized by APA... The world over for being a great family pet that dispenses eggs a pet can. Them to go broody fairly frequently Which is a large chicken with shimmering... Lavender ) Ameraucanas have a calm disposition and for egg color is perhaps one of the above lists for every! To be broody about once a year log in or register to here... In breeding black Copper Marans and breed toward the SOP and for egg color is really quite.... Quality feed and mature in 2 years facts about This breed lays medium large! Javascript in your browser before proceeding # 4 G. Gmomma Hatching of colors including: buff partridge... ’ re going to get with This fun breed nice blue that will vary a... Breed Information - Cochin - Cochins are known to be broody, are. Here to see fewer ads, post questions, lavender cochin egg color pics, & more are referred to as “ blue..., green, pinkish, cream and dark, the egg appears olive lots colorful! Listed in several of the above lists for that every reason boxes and finding a rainbow of different colored every... Variation between an ( L to R ) olive Egger, Easter and! We have a calm disposition had brought in blue ( lavender ) Ameraucanas have a blue! White egg shells have no brown pigment over the surface or blue pigment within the shell also make pet... Have no brown pigment over the surface or blue pigment within the shell Frequency Gifts... The applicable chick minimum order Issues like most Orpingtons, they can produce around medium.