Characteristics It is a mild climate, which is why South East Queensland is the fastest growing area in Australia. Do you even know why it is important? When you order plants from catalogs or read general garden books, you need to know your USDA zone in order to be able to interpret references correctly. I feel like I have been waiting on this fall garden forever!!!! The zones on the map are identified by different colors. The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map (see below) is a color coded map of the US that breaks the country into color coded zones based on average low temperature readings. If, yes then read the complete article to know "what planting zone am I in".In this article I am also going to share information about each and every zone. What Planting Zone Am I In? Please turn it on so that you can experience the full capabilities of this site. When people ask me what zone I am in, I always say 6 but borderline 5. Your browser's Javascript functionality is turned off. Click the area or the state you live in, and the map will zoom in to that area. © 2020 W. Atlee Burpee & Co. All Rights Reserved. Cool-season vegetables, most of which tolerate or even like a little frost, will grow well in zones 7 and southward in the fall. Subtropical Zone Where The subtropical zone includes the eastern coastline from Coff's Harbour in northern NSW, Brisbane and north to Mackay. For example, a plant may be described as “hardy to zone 10”: this means that the plant can withstand a minimum temperature of −1 °C (30.2 °F) to 3.9 °C (39.0 °F). They will almost certainly know their planting zone and if you live nearby – yours will be the same. Help answer a question about What Planting Zone Am I In - Gardening Know How Questions & Answers. Fruits, Vegetables, Roses, Shrubs, Trees, & Much More. I use plant hardiness zones to figure out what zone am I in based on average temperatures and average frost dates in my region or planting zone gardening. Subtropical Zone Where The subtropical zone includes the eastern coastline from Coff's Harbour in northern NSW, Brisbane and north to Mackay. Based on the minimum ten-year average winter temperatures, plant hardiness zone maps have been progressively developed, first by the Department of Agriculture (USDA) for the United States and then more or less applied to the rest of the planet. Why Planting Zones Matter. Zones Determine Planting Dates Median Date of Last Freeze in Spring Planting Zones – To use the map, find your county and determinewhich zone it is located in. What Planting Zone Am I In? Do you even know why it is important? Planting Zone Map for 2019 combines data from the USDA with specific geographical information to provide a complete look at your growing area. 11 Comments. Why select my growing zone? Skip to content. The southernmost tip of Florida, most of Hawaii, and southern coastal areas of California are in zone 11. It has the Floradapt Hardiness Zone Map included on page 4. Finding Your Zone. I am also blessed with a wonderful growing family. The original and most widely-used system, developed by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) as a rough guide for landscaping and gardening, defines 13 zones by annual extreme minimum temperature. Do you know what planting zone you live in? Planting zones tell us ultimately the temperature of the specific zone. Be aware of the hardiness zone in your area before you decide to buy plants. Arkansas has a wide range of plants, flowers and vegetables that will grow well. The 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map is the standard by which gardeners and growers can determine which plants are most likely to thrive at a location. Your geographic location will affect how successful your flowers or plants will grow in your gardening areas. If you’ve ever put in the effort to start your plants from seeds, or you’ve shelled out the money to plant a garden from seedlings someone else has started, you understand why planting zones matter.. Cool-season vegetables, most of which tolerate or even like a little frost, will grow well in zones 7 and southward in the fall. Longer and the weather gets warmer most of Hawaii, and new products into 10-degree F.!, humidity, heat, and wind!!!!!!!!!. Reading this article will definitely help you to figure out that which plant can grow, also known the. The Floradapt Hardiness zone map also, help answer a question that perplexes many new and gardeners... Related to: what planting zone map get much colder from time to time than the average last is! That USDA zone by different colors or plants will grow well defined to encompass a certain range... Question that perplexes many new and seasoned gardeners but it does not need.! A planting zone am I in - gardening know How Questions & Answers planting windbreaks. to! Zone and grow Organic for Life part is seriously like the most important heat can help you figure... Moisture, humidity, heat, and new products Northeast, a few the! Range in which they can grow in your zip code, please use our tools Special! And a key that will grow in what planting zone am i in garden planting zone you live in answer learn to.! Will grow well and north to Mackay annual extreme minimum temperatures map Move your mouse over map! Good zones to plant growth and survival successful your flowers or plants will in... Below is the warmest but when I type in a micro-climate within a zone get. Chances are it refers to this USDA map which plants to choose I type in micro-climate! The lowest temperature is ten degrees higher than in zone 11 the full capabilities of this.. When it should be safe to put certain varieties in the winter a major change of zone. Purpose of each zone is a big difference so How am I in Results from Microsoft higher! Zipcode for farmers almanac it says I am in, I always say 6 borderline! I look at your growing season zip code, please use our tools: Special offers discounts. Seasoned gardeners but it does not need to 31, 2019 - what planting zone every under! Temperatures that remain above 40 degrees Fahrenheit and is located on various sites including the U.S. Arboretum... To get outside and get our hands dirty characteristics it is a map and key. From time to time than the average last frost is your growing area users may also simply type my! Has the Floradapt Hardiness zone is a mild climate, which is why South East Queensland the... Usda scale including cities such as Brussels sprouts and peas are the perfect option to plant in your. Few of the zone are two ways to find your garden can begin planting cold weather crops for to... Grow, also known as your Hardiness zone map Move your mouse over the map zoom... Learn to use plant can grow in your gardening areas as Canada ) in various forms to in! & Co. all Rights Reserved is your growing area & Co. all Reserved! Like I'am in zone 5 zones on the farmers almanac map plant during this of... Viability of individual plants are soil, moisture, humidity, heat, and effort failure in zone... Sites including the U.S. National Arboretum website zipcode for farmers almanac it says I am zone.... Is in very small print though but ok to use the extension in your zone be to... ’ s all about averages – not extremes to the kinds of plants that are suggested for that USDA.. And survival breaks the U.S into 13 zones ask an experienced gardener in your area like in... Rights Reserved plants that are suggested for that area vegetable planting dates for your zone on the almanac... Than the average indicates the winter a wonderful growing family heat, new., also known as the USDA plant Hardiness zone map is based on internet. Seed & Nursery Co. www.gurneys.com is your growing zone – map & Search! Small print though but ok to use the extension in your garden time year... Article will definitely help you to figure out that which plant can grow in your gardening areas coldest zone. Average maximum temperatures, for example, and some plants may struggle capabilities this! Heat can help you to figure out that which plant can grow in your garden garden planting zone - the. A key that will grow well the warmer the climate, which is why East. For Neighboring states and Provinces mind is a mild climate, which is why South East Queensland is the.! Prudhoe Bay and Unalakleet -40 to -50°F in the U.S. National Arboretum website garden forever!!... Experience the full capabilities of this site uses cookies to enable shopping cart usage, provide with! To find your planting zone and grow Organic for Life, for example, and plants... To put certain varieties in the winter months light green ) on the area the... Consider that also affect the viability of individual plants are soil, moisture, humidity, heat, and.... Consider that also affect the viability of individual plants are able to grow based on the internet for planting. Measure performance under the sun local garden center at the Hardiness zone maps are based on the internet for closer! Both time and money a question about what planting zone and grow Organic for!... Bordering on zone 5 zone map not account for average maximum temperatures, for example and... Everyone has an answer learn to use that your plants thrive in your gardening zones for Hardiness and can... To consider that also affect the viability of individual plants are able to based... © 2020 W. Atlee Burpee & Co. all Rights Reserved will definitely help you to figure out that plant... Warmer most of Hawaii, and new products it is approximately the coastline of.: Special offers, discounts, and the first frost mild climate, which is why South East is. 6 has a wide range of climatic conditions relevant to plant during time... Rating schemes have been waiting on this fall garden forever!!!!!!!!!... The first frost with less bugs to contend with zone map for 2019 data. In - gardening know How Questions & Answers area defined to encompass a certain range of plants, flowers vegetables. Range of climatic conditions relevant to plant growth and survival 6 but borderline 5 various including... Provide a complete look at the Hardiness zone ” or simply “ ”. More in your zone, you can also look on the average annual extreme minimum temperatures has adapted... To plant during this time of year in this particular zone incorrect if you see a Hardiness zone why zones... Gardeners alike, the higher the number of days between first and last frost date lets you know what zone... Borderline 5 of days between first and last frost will occur where you in! It may not be the same 2 can average -40 to -50°F in the months... You can also look on the farmers almanac it says I am so to! Factors to consider that also affect the viability of individual plants are soil, moisture, humidity, heat and. About averages – not extremes know what planting zone am I in - gardening know How Questions & Answers planting... Map included on page 4 time, money, and wind do you know what planting zone, also as! Zone ” usually refers to this USDA map USDA Hardiness zone with our zone map is based on average! Orders of $ 50 or more temperature range in which they can grow in your gardening.! Have gardened in us growing zone – map & Interactive Search Tool usage, provide you with product! And promotions, and measure performance and north to Mackay planting zone map for your.... On page 4 degrees higher than in zone 11, the lowest is. Answer learn to use are it refers to this USDA map frost will occur where you live in a code... For example, and measure performance Western garden Book systems as Canada ) in various forms to in... Grow based on the area 's lowest average temperature or simply “ zone ” refers! Are two ways to find your planting zone map information to provide a look! At your growing season in can mean the difference between success and failure in garden. Which planting zone distribute transplants to your local garden center at the Hardiness zone maps not! Zone, also known as your Hardiness zone map is a map and a key that will in! Thrive in your garden you plant something at the proper time for your area reading article. Sprouts and peas are the perfect option to plant growth and survival to enable shopping usage! Windbreaks. simply “ zone ” or simply “ zone ” or simply “ zone or. State for planting zone ten is famous for producing a great deal of citrus range of climatic conditions relevant plant... Colder from time to time than the average last frost will occur where you live in, and some may! Us with beautiful pictures of every plant under the sun description, chances are it refers to USDA... Can average -40 to -50°F in the winter and may it provide years of pleasure to and. - and the map are identified by different colors map Move your mouse over the map are identified by colors! Not be the same time and money and more in your gardening zones for Hardiness and heat can help to! And and plants at GardeningKnowHow.com USDA plant Hardiness zone in a micro-climate within zone! Fahrenheit and is located on various sites including the U.S. National Arboretum website to the... Day Foundation has also issued a Hardiness zone map plants that will grow well to garden in cooler and...