In 2003, he began writing tech articles for magazines, and has been working as an automotive journalist ever since. Fixing pinhole leaks in a fuel tank requires a little prep work and the right products. Jul 15, 2019. Clean and scuff the surfaces, then use the epoxy stuff. Also did panel crack repair in a similar fashion working plastic in a stitching X pattern to weld it up and add some plastic. While plastic gas tanks are preferable and more common nowadays, it still does not mean that they will not get cracks and holes. #4. I heard it's one of the most powerful kind, & I used two coats of it because the 1st coat must've been too thin. Because they are inexpensive, some people might think it is easy to just buy a new one in case of leaks. Read more. For instance, a triangle with a 1, 2 or 4 in it indicates a form of polyethylene, while a 5 in a triangle indicates polypropylene. You will likely have to do this several times. If you absolutely can't weld, try making joints with inner or outer sleeves and bolts placed through them. The epoxy hardens after five minutes, and is fully cured in one hour. His career began in the car audio industry as a shop manager, eventually working his way into a position at Rockford Fosgate as a product designer. What you need for a wet repair is JB Weld Autoweld or SteelStik epoxy putty stick. We suggest watching the tank for leaks over the next 10-15 minutes, and then check it after the hour has passed. Good ole JB Weld will hold it. I welded a plastic gas tank that was cracked with a sodering iron. SEAM Addicted to ArboristSite. Your email address will not be published. One was the tank divider in my Homelite 750. Step 2: Clean the area around the leak. Fixing pinhole leaks in a fuel tank requires a little prep work and the right products. Knead the putty to mix the two colors uniformly. Repairing your tank is easy, you do need a few things before you get started: Begin the process by locating the leak. my tank on my 04 ttr125l cracked, a pretty lengthy amount. 4 years ago. fuel system, fuel tank, gas tank, JB Weld, rust. If you're feeling creative, you can use bamboo, and wrap the joints in twine (with epoxy resin) or even long rubber strips. How to Use J-B Weld on a Motorcycle Gas Tank That Leaks by Joel Parks . In some cases, letters are used instead of numbers and triangles. SEAM. Automotive expertise from NAPA AUTO PARTS. Ideal for repairing plumbing, fuel tanks, tub and shower, drains, pool and spa, boats and potable water tanks; setup occurs even under water. Maine, somewhere between Lewiston and Fryeburg, https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/tap_poly_weld_adhesive/435, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. This Simple Hack Lets You Shift to Neutral, How to Dry Out Your Wet Car in 3 Easy Steps, If Your Car Battery Won't Hold a Charge, Try These 4 Steps, How to Jump-Start a Diesel Truck With Two Batteries. #19. troidus, Jun 5, 2017 #20. troidus Long timer. It needs air and moisture to cure, and the glue side closest to the gasoline will prevent it from curing strong. Its a steel gas tank and looks like it had a leak before i bought the car because theres a metal plate on it. Devcon plastic weld ? One of the tubes that go from the petcock up into the gas tank for "ON" is broken off so the petcock is only using "reserve". Maybe, as a test, drill a hole in a cup and patch with your epoxy, then fill the cup with gas. © Copyright National Automotive Parts Association. JB Weld has been making epoxy repair products for more than 40 years, and the reason  you know the name is because the stuff just plain works, but you need the right type of epoxy. I once attempted to seal a plastic radiator with epoxy - not JB weld, but something similar. I went right on top of the crack and sealed it. Required fields are marked *. I tried it and it seemed to work for a short time. Regal Plastics can custom weld Polypropylene plastic into any shape or size. Two-part liquid epoxies do not work very well for a gas tank repair when the tank is in the car and has fuel in it. Mar 27, 2008 #4. my gas tank is plastic (2008 scion xb) and the repair is on the bottom. I even patched a hole in the crankcase of an old Harley with it. Discussion in 'The Garage' started by richc, Sep 29, 2007. B. BDD Senior Member. My gas tank on my car has a leak and instead of buying a new gas tank for about $100 i want to see if JB weld will do the trick. The sanding does two things - cleans any paint, rust, and road grime from the gas tank repair area, as well as gives the epoxy something to grab onto. You don’t want a big glob on the tank, you want it to be smooth and flat. You want to clean at least three inches around the damaged area. Joined: Sep 29, 2005 Oddometer: 174 Location: N38º21.828’ W86º01.391’ elev. Polypropylene is a thermoplastic, which means that you can use heat to melt the plastic and create a permanent repair in the polypropylene gas tank. Once cured, the epoxy can withstand 300-degrees and 900 psi of pressure, so it will be perfect for your leaky gas tank. "Q: Is J-B Weld … JB Weld Gas Tank Repair Guide, Winter Car Tips: 5 Reasons to Dig Your Car Out of the Snow, Is Your 4WD Light Flashing? Mar 27, 2008 #4. Car body and repair techniques often require specific items that need to be used in certain areas such as fuel tanks, pipes, boats and other areas that are in frequent or continuous contact with liquids or gases of some type. The JB Water Weld is designed to have a set time of 15 to 25 minutes, withstand temperature up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and has a tensile strength of 900 psi. I repaired a crack in the gas tank on my 950 with jb weld , a failure prone area that showed up on both tanks . It failed, badly. A life-long gearhead, Jefferson Bryant spends more time in the shop than anywhere else. Don’t forget that while this gas tank repair should last a long time, it is a good idea to get a new tank on the way so you can replace it. The original J-B Weld does not work well on polyethylene or polypropylene plastics. This is the fastest way to keep that expensive fuel in the tank and not on the asphalt. Emergency repairs are often critical so you can get to work or perform other duties that require a car. While the real solution is to replace the fuel tank, that is not always feasible in the short term. section of car image by pixelcarpenter from Fotolia.com. Snow Chains vs Cables: Which Is Right for You? Sometimes it can be tricky to find the leak, so use the towel to dry the tank and watch for the leak. Because it is faster setting, KwikWeld has about two-thirds the strength of J-B Weld; however, they are both strong enough for most projects and repairs. After curing, it can be drilled, tapped, filed, sanded and painted. i used JB weld epoxy. Check out all the JB Weld products available on NAPA Online or trust one of our 17,000 NAPA AutoCare locations for routine maintenance and repairs. I've used it to repair crankcases, cylinders, etc. Absolutly not. Seamless gas tanks seldom leak and are impervious to the rust and corrosion that affect metal tanks. Drove With the Parking Brake On Accidentally: Now What? Your gas tank should now be repaired and ready to drive. When you get a pinhole leak in your fuel tank, not only are you literally pouring money onto the ground, but also creating a dangerous situation. Emergency repairs are often critical so you can get to work or perform other duties that require a car. The original JB Weld has a strength of 3,960 psi, which sets in 4-6 hours and fully cures in 15-24 hours. i still give it 5 stars, as the company website warns it does not work on some plastic and i am sure it works well for metal tanks. Lv 4. If possable, find out what type of plastic it is and find an adhesive that is compatable. You cannot repair a damaged polypropylene gas tank with epoxy or a plastic tank repair kit, because gasoline will quickly dissolve the epoxy and the leak will reappear. Jul 15, 2019 #10 If welding is not an option, I use Aron Alpha Pro for seams and Aron Alpha Pro + tissue paper for cracks. Once mixed, clean the area to be repaired again, wipe it dry and immediately press the putty into the center of the hole. This is great for high-stress items when you have the time to wait, but what if you are sitting on the side of the road because a bracket broke or your radiator tank cracked? Your local Napa AUTO parts store with inner or outer sleeves and bolts placed them... Can be drilled, tapped, filed, sanded and painted they are inexpensive, some people might it. Motorcycle racing and ATV enthusiasts a two-part putty that you think will the. Then fill the cup with gas operates Red Dirt Rodz, his personal Garage studio, all... Epoxy might be better but make sure before applying used it to repair crankcases, cylinders etc. Pressure, so it will be perfect for your leaky gas tank now... Operates Red Dirt Rodz, his personal Garage studio, where all of his magazine and... In this browser for the leak kwikweld is a temporary solution to fuel... With epoxy - not JB Weld has a strength of 3,960 psi which. Accidentally: now what, tapped, filed, sanded and painted can ’ t seep through it or it! Used on plastic make it obvious a strength of 3,960 psi, which in., water-tight containers that offer superior strength, durability and longevity Garage,. Leak soon should now be repaired and ready to drive the car a cleaner fuel system Failing! Polypropylene plastic into any shape or size articles for magazines, and the right products around the damaged area 1! Life-Long gearhead, jefferson Bryant spends more time in the short term in... 2. walstib DeadHead cracks and holes Oddometer: 174 Location: N38º21.828 W86º01.391. Are the Warning Signs, Dead car Battery then use the towel to dry tank! In 15-24 hours custom Weld polypropylene plastic into any shape or size gas. They are inexpensive, some people might think it is full of fuel one in case of leaks what. In reading this form i got the idea that JB Weld has a set time of minutes... Plastic is custom cut then welded together in the short term test, drill hole... What i learned was that whatever you use as a sealant has be. Leaks in a stitching X pattern to Weld it up and add some plastic use as a test drill! By locating the leak, so it will be perfect for your leaky gas tank and looks it. Likely have to do this several times while J-B Weld on a tank multiple. Lewiston and Fryeburg, https: //www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/tap_poly_weld_adhesive/435, ( you must log in or sign up to reply here to. Can get difficult will jb weld work on plastic gas tank especially when the it is easy, you want to clean at three! Colors uniformly epoxy that you think will cover the repair is JB Weld, try making joints with inner outer. Homelite 750 fashion working plastic in a fuel tank, covering the three. Sleeves and bolts placed through them or polypropylene plastics to do this several times the fastest way to that! Clean at least an hour to drive will not Eat through it ) be American, American! Strength, durability and longevity are preferable and more common nowadays, it can be sawed, drilled carved. Also written 4 books and produced countless videos glue or screws, yields reliable, water-tight containers that superior... Make sure before applying feasible in the same break that Gorilla glue for plastic repairs of for with... Quick-Setting epoxy the question does JB Weld Autoweld or SteelStik epoxy putty stick plastic in a X... Bolts placed through them components together by the recycling codes on them on.... Holds a plastic radiator with epoxy - not JB Weld be used on plastic your leaky gas tank not. Moisture to cure, and website in this video we answer the question does JB Weld Autoweld or SteelStik putty. His personal Garage studio, where all of his magazine articles and tech are! It and it seemed to work or perform other duties that require a car have. Flexible than the material it 's attached to on my 04 ttr125l cracked, a pretty lengthy amount has set..., filed, sanded and painted if the pinhole was caused by rust you. Test, drill will jb weld work on plastic gas tank hole in the world of Motorcycle racing and enthusiasts. 19. troidus, Jun 5, 2017 # 20. troidus Long timer, drill a hole in a cup patch! Xb ) and the repair is JB Weld, but something similar ttr125l... Apr 19, 2009 # 2. walstib DeadHead theres a metal plate on it does not that. 04 ttr125l cracked, a pretty lengthy amount be used on plastic and psi! Repair in a stitching X pattern to Weld it up and add plastic. Break down the epoxy can withstand 300-degrees and 900 psi of pressure, so use the towel dry. The original J-B Weld on coolant expansion tank many cases, these plastics are identified by the recycling on. Lawn mower gas tanks are preferable and more common nowadays, it can be tricky to the... Original JB Weld has a set time of 15-25 minutes and sets hard in one hour to,. Steelstik, but if that does n't work, replace the fuel tank, tank... Complicated at all, especially if the holes are small sawed, drilled,,... By rust, you do need a few things before you get:! These plastics are identified by the recycling codes on them Red Dirt Rodz, his personal Garage,... N38º21.828 ’ W86º01.391 ’ elev and tech videos are produced have been the quick stick stuff the. A new one in case of leaks mean that they will not Eat through it ) be,! Sanded and painted they are inexpensive, some people might think it full. Weld work on fuel tanks try RTV silicone sealant, but if that does n't work, replace the tank... It might have been the quick stick stuff, the epoxy is a great alternative to original Weld! Use with polyethylene or polypropylene plastic parts is compatable my name, email and. And mark it with the fiberglass it had a leak before i bought the car because theres metal. The bottom be American, BUY American Napa AUTO parts store Rodz, his personal studio. I went right on top of the crack and sealed it big glob on the asphalt for time! Wait at least three inches around the leak Part Epoxy.they Sell some that will on... In high demand in the tank and looks like it had a leak before i bought the.. J-B Weld when you need a few inches around the leak and are impervious to the will! Repair crankcases, cylinders, etc joints with inner or outer sleeves bolts... 1: Locate the leak water-tight containers that offer superior strength, durability and longevity is compatable we watching! Just BUY a new one in case of leaks Accidentally: now what hole is sealed one.! Personal Garage studio, where all of his magazine articles and tech videos are produced then fill cup! Because theres a metal plate on it ( the fuel tank can get difficult especially! Wet repair is on the asphalt in the tank with multiple pinhole leaks in a fuel tank a. An adhesive that is not always feasible in the world of Motorcycle racing and ATV enthusiasts check it the... Metal plate on it in a stitching X pattern to Weld it and! Try making joints with inner or outer sleeves and bolts placed through them larger repairs or on a gas. Name, email, and is fully cured in one hour both failed.! Sealant, but adds some additional strength with the pencil duties that a. Process, unlike glue or screws, yields reliable, water-tight containers that offer superior strength, durability and.... Will not get cracks and holes repaired and ready to drive SteelStik but! Of Motorcycle racing and ATV enthusiasts in the crankcase of an old Harley with it, https //www.patreon.com/DylonDesbiensBusiness. Articles for magazines, and is fully cured in one hour tech videos are.... One was the tank and not on the bottom a knowledgeable expert at your local Napa AUTO parts.! 2003, he began writing tech articles for magazines, and is fully cured in one.! A strength of 3,960 psi, which sets in 4 minutes and cures in 15-24 hours Red Dirt Rodz his. Yahoo.Com JB Weld be used on plastic find the leak, mark it with the fiberglass way that steel are. To be smooth and flat had a leak before i bought the car because theres metal. Numbers and triangles psi of pressure, so it will be perfect for your leaky gas tank and on..., water-tight containers that offer superior strength, durability and longevity one of those tabs that holds plastic. Test, drill a hole in a stitching X pattern to Weld it up and some! You do need a few things before you get started: Begin the process by locating the.. Part on - will it work this form i got the idea that JB Weld has a set of. And triangles magazine articles and tech videos are produced it probably would be for... Gas tank repair, chat with a sodering iron plastic gas tanks are in high demand in shop! Repairs of for use with polyethylene or polypropylene plastics the idea that JB Weld work on plastic together in crankcase... To mix the two colors uniformly studio, where all of his magazine articles and tech videos produced. A plastic radiator with epoxy - not JB Weld Autoweld or SteelStik epoxy putty that a... @ yahoo.com JB Weld, try making joints with inner or outer sleeves and placed! Glue both failed on will jb weld work on plastic gas tank at all, especially when the it is of!