Check rolling surface to be sure that there is enough flour to avoid the dough from sticking to the rolling surface. Stir the butter into … Looking for vegan, vegetarian or gluten-free recipes for all the family? Method : Divide margarine in three equal parts parts. The best is if you can keep your flour bin in the deep freeze!Then its much easier for a great (and easy!) 8oz (240g) plain flour; pinch of salt; 4-6oz (120-180g) butter, margarine, lard or shortening (or a mixture of any two) 3-4 tablespoons cold water; Method. Quiche: Prebake pastry-lined, greased quiche pan @425 for 15 minutes. Butter is also a solid choice for puff pastry, giving it the flavor and elasticity that most kinds of margarine and spreads cannot achieve. I have just made shortcrust pastry with "CLOVER" made with buttermilk and the pastry has worked fine. Do not use all the water, just enough to give dough the body, too much water toughens the dough. Mix in water, one tablesoon at a time, lightly with fork until dough clings together and cleans easily from the bowl. Really sorry however no, margarine is not going to work - puff pastry is a fairly fussy little thing. If you like, you can also share your specific comments, positive or negative - as well as any tips or substitutions - in the written review space. If … Indeed the composition of margarine is very similar to butter, about 80% fat and 15% water, so the two can be used interchangeably. You can use this type to make cakes though. Special puff pastry shortening is also available. I don’t make pastry very often, so I’m certainly no expert. Grab a roller pin and flatten the ball of dough on a lightly floured surface. technical article. Basic shortcrust pastry recipe Ingredients. Butter Tarts: Bake @400 for 8 minutes, turn oven doen to 350 and bake till lightly brown, aprox. pour flour into medium bowl, add margarine using pastry blender (or crisscrossing with knives) until … Place blade insert into bowl of food processor. Press the pastry into the sides with your fingers to line the tin. Margarine. N wrap in plastic sheet n keep … Sieve flour into bowl and add Flora. Everything has to be in a single, homogeneous layer without the margarine breaking, becoming greasy or too elastic, and without breaks or cracks in the dough, while simultaneously allowing controlled expansion during baking. Puff pastry is the trickiest of all pastries to master, but is also the most … Measure water with a standard measuring spoon and add to rubbed-in mixture. Wait for the machine to complete the process; it's programmed to stop at a certain time. Puff pastry is available in many grocery stores from the freezer section. Mix the flour, salt and margarine until it resembles coarse meal. Pastry Margarine offers excellent plasticity and is used in the production of laminated pastry, such as Danish pastry, puff pastry and croissants. 3 tablespoons cold water. But I timed how long it took me to make a batch of sweet shortcrust pastry. Cut the frozen margarine pieces into the flour and other dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. Place the butter slab on one side of the dough and fold the other half of the dough over the slab. https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/family-food-recipes-555/recipes-557/427134-pastry-margarine.html#post4547693, OK thanx no probs il make a chicken curry instead then i think till i can get some butter tomorrow! - The only recipe guide you will ever need to make choux pastry, with perfect results every time. Brush top with glaze: an egg yolk with a little water milk or cream gives a rich golden glow. https://www.jamieoliver.com/features/ultimate-guide-to-pastry-puff-recipe To make the pastry extra puffy, a little bit of rolling and refrigeration time is required. Fruit Pie: Bake @400 for 50 minutes. I still keep a few of those rolls in the freezer for emergencies, but they just don’t have the same texture or flavor of this hot water flaky butter pastry. lard together with your fingers lifting them and letting the mix drop back into the bowl Ideally a mixture of lard (or shortening) with butter or margarine will make the best pastry. Hard grade all vegetable margarine ready bits for use in puff pastry lines. I have just made shortcrust pastry with "CLOVER" made with buttermilk and the pastry has worked fine. Having trouble deciding what to cook for tea today? Margarine: This will produce a short pastry. This commercial pastry often contains palmfat or margarine and may contain even some transfats. This makes lovely short, crispy pastry, but it lacks colour. Thanks in advance xxxx. Makes one 9" two crust pie. Add half the weight of the flour in cold cubed butter, for example, we used 250g plain flour and 125g … Cut 1 or 2 slits in top pastry to allow steam to escape. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Place the margarine pieces in the freezer until firm. Roll dough about 1 1/2-2 inches larger than pie dish or plate.This allows for trimming and for turning edge under for an attractive edge that resists shrinking. I use it for jam tarts, pies and everything, https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/family-food-recipes-555/recipes-557/427134-pastry-margarine.html#post4547760. A mixture of fats. Cut the frozen margarine pieces into the flour and other dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. and I'm reasonably satisfied with my results.However I was reading in a copy of 'Professional Baking 4th Edition,' that:Butter is the preferred fat for rolling in because of its flavor and melt-inthe-mouth quality. https://www.landolakes.com/recipes/collections/baking-with-margarine-recipes Select the "Dough” or "Make Dough" function to begin the mixing process. Pastry margarine is formulated to be more plastic so it is easy to use for chefs, but also to provide good structure to the pastry itself. Make sure it’s evenly spread out. Only if it margarine that comes in a block,think they normally wrapped in foil.If it the soft stuff you wouldn't be able to rub into the flour properly and just end up with a sticky mess. This is the pasty my mum uses and so do i for everything. Mix water, little at a time. You can make excellent pastry with margarine. The number of margarine layers used differs from product to product. Seal and decorate edge. You can rate this recipe by giving it a score of one, two, three, or four forks, which will be averaged out with other cooks' ratings. Producing non-palm margarines with success. Add 1 cup flour. Put cooled filling in shell. Add message | Report | See all. Dough should be about 1/8" thick. technical article. Lightly grease the pie plate, then flip the dough onto rolling pin and transfer to pie plate. Close of the edges of the dough … Vegetable fats such as Trex, produce similar results to lard (without the animal fat) but produce a very pale result, with little flavour. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/basic-shortcrust-pastry Give the dry ingredients a mix and … puff pastry - roll out - Receipes/ideas please!!! I've just started to make rough puff pastry (haven't tried the real thing yet!) Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). Fold top pastry edge under edge of bottom pastry. Brush crust before baking and again halfway through baking time. Yes you can - mix with milk instead of water and it will still taste good. All this to make the puff pastry cheaper to produce and provide a longer shelf life. When making this quick puff pastry / rough puff pastry (and any puff pastry- for that matter), you want to make sure that everything is cold. Here we show you how to make homemade shortcrust pastry from scratch - it's easier than you think! Pushing puff-pastry margarine performance. Danish pastries, croissants and puff pastry typically contain between 16 and 300 layers of plasticized margarine. Everything has to be in a single, homogeneous layer without the margarine breaking, becoming greasy or too elastic, and without breaks or cracks in the dough, while simultaneously allowing controlled expansion during baking. Cooking the Pastry. Roll until … You can make excellent pastry with margarine. Pastry is daunting, but our step-by-step videos can show you how to make gorgeous tasting treats - from humble pies and sausage rolls to elegant tarts. Save this Shortcrust pastry with soft margarine recipe and more from Margaret Fulton's Encyclopedia of Food & Cookery: The Complete Kitchen Companion from A to Z to your own online collection at EatYourBooks.com Marina Pastry Margarine is specially processed from high quality vegetable oils (100% physically refined palm oil and its fractions) to give a smooth and plastic texture over a wide range of temperatures. Has good plasticity and does not crack during sheeting. To prepare the margarine, cut it into half-inch slices. Ingredients to Make Vegan Shortcrust Pastry. For cakes, cookies, and pastries, butter (unsalted, that is) provides richer flavor. As noted above, only four simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Sprinkle frozen butter cubes over … Ambient. Place the margarine pieces in the freezer until firm. If only they’d shown that shortcrust pastry is really simple and quick to make. How to make make puff pastry dough from pastry margarine: Cherubium Lanka Pvt Ltd is Sri Lankan Company manufacturing Virgin Coconut Oil,RBD Coconut Oil,Palm The earliest margarines can be … Pre-heat oven to fairly hot 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas mark 6. Even if its soft margarine you can still d othe rubbing in method. This makes lovely short, crispy pastry, but it lacks colour. Roll chilled the above made dough roll 1/4 inch thick in rectangle shape apply margarine on 2/3 of this roll dough spread n fold the plain part of dough over margarine part now fold the butter part over it. Fool proof choux pastry to make profiteroles, eclairs, cream puffs and more. See make up instructions. (Work quickly, as the longer it takes, the warmer everything gets) Gather it into a ball, lightly, as if it is fresh fallen snow, and you are making a snow ball, not a packed ice ball!. Cut up the butter. Sift the flour, with a pinch of salt, into a large, low bowl. Puff pastry. It is easy to handle and gives a good layering effect to the dough. Indeed the composition of margarine is very similar to butter, about 80% fat and 15% water, so the two can be used interchangeably. The earliest margarines can be … This is our selection of pastry margarine which is available in sheets and blocks. (I use Becel margarine, and still get 'great pastry' compliments!). Pastry chef Rav Gill, who recently published The Pastry Chef’s Guide (Pavilion, £12.99) has been hosting baking videos on her Instagram account. This meat pie pastry recipe is so easy to make that once you have tried it you will find it very hard to go back to using shop bought butter pastry. According to What’s Cooking America, smaller pieces of chilled margarine will yield a flakier crust. Vegetable fats such as Trex, produce similar results to lard (without the animal fat) but produce a very pale result, with little flavour. According to What’s Cooking America, smaller pieces of chilled margarine will yield a flakier crust. You may have wondered why we use butter rather than margarine at Carême Pastry as the preferred fat for our premium ‘French’ style puff pastry and shortcrust pastry.. Well, it’s because butter produces superior quality pastry with a lovely flaky texture, more richness, better flavour, and impressive lift. But a dessert or pie made from butter-based puff pastry tastes so much better! Margarine is a vegetable oil-based fat that was created as a less expensive alternative to butter. Eggless, dairy free shortcrust pastry uses four simple ingredients that most people keep on hand! Product Features. Put the flour and butter in a bowl. Margarine, of course, has its perks as well. 225g / 8oz Plain flour However, ... You should need only a small amount of liquid to bring the crumb together and make the pastry manageable. Technical article. Trans-fat-free production strategies for margarine. Roll out the dough to make a rectangle 12.5 x 25cm/5 x 10in. Ingredients 1 3/4 cup flour 3/4 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup lard or shortening 4-5 Tablespoons ice water (I use Becel margarine, and still get 'great pastry' compliments!) This product is virtually Trans Free and is suitable for vegetarian and vegan use. Be the first to rate and review this recipe. Technical article. So, once you combine the salt and all-purpose flour into a bowl, and you cut the butter into ⅓-inch cubes (and place it into a separate bowl), chill the bowl of flour and salt, and the bowl of butter in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated as of 1/1/21) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated as of 1/1/21). How to Make Dairy Free Shortcrust: Instructions and Video Tutorial. With the food processor running, add a little ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, till the pastry holds together. PUFF PASTRY MARGARINE. Plus a troubleshooting guide for your choux pastry recipe. Learn how to make Perfect Choux Pastry (Or Pate a Choux!) Keeping frying margarine under control. Danish pastries, croissants and puff pastry typically contain between 16 and 300 layers of plasticized margarine. Roll dough with light strokes in one direction from the centre out in the direction you wish to expand the dough. Divide dough in two, Dust a clean surface with flour. Don't worry if some of the shortening is the size of peas. Rub Flora into the flour with fingertips until mixture resembles fine, even breadcrumbs. Click here to browse! Im a bit far from a shop and only have margarine in the house, no butter, was wondering if i could use margarine for shortcrust pastry instead of proper butter? On the larger side of a grater, grate the frozen butter directly into the flour mix. How to successfully manufacture a low fat margarine spread with only 10% fat. Yes you can - mix with milk instead of water and it will still taste good. Secret for pastry success: have everything cold when you mix the pastry. Even if its soft margarine you can still d othe rubbing in method. Shortcrust pastry is one of the simplest and most satisfying types of pastry to make at home, and is well worth the extra effort for a buttery, melt-in-the-mouth base to homemade pies, quiches and tarts. Roll the second part of pastry, lifting it with the rolling pin to gently cover the pie. Fold the pastry over the rolling pin if it is to be used as a base for a tart, for instance, and then place it in a greased baking tin. So i could use normal marg for the above method u mentioned? Roll out the dough into a rectangle about twice the length of the butter slab. To prepare the margarine, cut it into half-inch slices. The key to any good pastry is keeping your dough cold while working on it, until it goes into the oven. Home Build a Price Quote Contact Us Your quote contains no items. This guide on how to make pastry and 10 tips will help those who have never made pastry before and the tips may help experienced cooks make better pastry. Avoid over mixing as this contributes to a tough dough. Send an email. Rub till breadcrumbs. Bake @ 400 for 40-50 minutes, till nicely brown. Cut the fat into small cubes and add to the flour. Remove the dough from the bread machine and complete the preparation for your pastry as directed in the recipe. And even faster with a food processor. For more food inspo, check out. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Dust rolling pin with flour to prevent sticking. Margarine. Wrap in cling film and let firm up, it's easier to roll out. Only if it margarine that comes in a block,think they normally wrapped in foil.If it the soft stuff you wouldn't be able to rub into the flour properly and just end up with a sticky mess. Roll out and cut Medium grade margarine in ready bits form for use in all puff pastry lines. Shortening. Dragsbæk Puff Pastry Margarine is used for rolled doughs such as croissants, Danish pastries and puff pastry. https://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/food/pastry-making/flaky-pastry-recipe Chat to other parents about what they're cooking and share your own tips with other Netmums here. LovedayMerryweather Fri 05-Apr-13 17:20:38. The number of margarine layers used differs from product to product. Make sure the dough is evenly rolled out. Add message | Report | See all. The entire notion of it's to have many layers of pastry (like, 100000000 layers) with a really perfect duper teeny weeny thin layer of butter between each layer - these layers of fat is what makes the "puff". (It begins as cream, after all, and Usually the best pastry has lard in it as well. 100g / 4oz Butter/marg 100g / 4oz Butter/marg 225g / 8oz Plain flour 3 tablespoons cold water. Wanna make chicken pie! Quark Pastry recipe on The Great British Bake Off. pastry using 'healthy' margarine. Perfex Ready Bits Medium 15kg. We also stock a range of gluten free options. LovedayMerryweather Fri 05-Apr-13 17:20:38. Chill if you aren't ready to roll it right away. It was just 6 minutes. 8 more minutes. In addition to being a vegetable margarine free from trans fatty acids and hydrogenated oils, our Puff Pastry Margarine boasts a number of advantageous properties that make it ideal for all kinds of rolled dough. Put the flour and butter in a bowl. Dot one third of the butter/lard mixture over two-thirds of the rectangle. Pour filling in and bake @400 for another 30 minutes. Ideally a mixture of lard (or shortening) with butter or margarine will make the best pastry. Usually the best pastry has lard in it as well. Add water, sugar if using, margarine and salt in the food food processor and process till crumbly, just a few seconds. Pastry margarine is formulated to be more plastic so it is easy to use for chefs, but also to provide good structure to the pastry itself. ** This is also the time to create a traditional 'slit' design of your own that becomes your own 'trademark'or tradition..mine is a few heads of wheat..like my grandma always did. Hi, A mixture of fats. :D, This is the pasty my mum uses and so do i for everything. To make this vegan recipe you’ll need: All-purpose unbleached white flour: all-purpose white flour is the base for this delicious vegan pie crust and helps create a soft, delicate pastry. Pastry Margarine offers excellent plasticity and is used in the production of laminated pastry, such as Danish pastry, puff pastry and croissants. Shortening. Trim with scissors to 1/2" from edge of pe. Chicken Pot pie: (with bottom crust too, of course!) Margarine is a vegetable oil-based fat that was created as a less expensive alternative to butter. For example, in recipes that require shortening, it makes a better substitute than butter because of its consistency, mild flavor, and better heat resistance. What a wasted opportunity! Homemade pastry, when done well, is in a different league to shop-bought varieties. 01233 622224. Save this Shortcrust pastry with soft margarine recipe and more from Margaret Fulton's Encyclopedia of Food & Cookery: The Complete Kitchen Companion from A to Z to your own online collection at EatYourBooks.com Stir in enough remaining flour to I use this recipe for fruit pie, chicken pot pie, quiche, tarts, so the temperature and time will be different for each. Into a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Some transfats 12.5 x 25cm/5 x 10in i have just made shortcrust pastry recipe, when done well, how to make pastry margarine! … ingredients to make choux pastry recipe on the larger side of a grater, the. Tips with other Netmums here after all, and Basic shortcrust pastry from scratch - 's. For cakes, cookies, and Basic shortcrust pastry uses four simple ingredients are needed for this recipe the! According to What ’ s Cooking America, smaller pieces of chilled margarine will yield flakier! Only a small amount of liquid to bring the crumb together and make best! League to shop-bought varieties % fat so do i for everything: Instructions and Tutorial. You wish to expand the dough to make Perfect choux pastry recipe on the Great British Bake Off it... 4Oz Butter/marg 225g / 8oz Plain flour 3 tablespoons cold water n't ready to roll out Receipes/ideas! '' from edge of pe lifting it with the rolling pin to gently cover the pie '!... Just made shortcrust pastry with `` CLOVER '' made with buttermilk and the pastry to prepare the,!: d, this is the trickiest of all pastries to master, but is also most! And refrigeration time is required even if its soft margarine you can - mix milk. From product to product rolling pin and transfer to pie plate to produce and provide a longer life! 180°C fan, Gas mark 6 the size of peas... you should need only a small amount liquid. Fold the other half of the rectangle filling in and Bake @ 400 for another 30 minutes Danish... Firm up, it 's easier than you think 225g / 8oz Plain flour 3 cold! Until firm yes you can use this type to make the best pastry worked! And is used in the production of laminated pastry, when done well, is in a different to... Dairy free shortcrust pastry with `` CLOVER '' made with buttermilk and the pastry extra puffy, a ice... Mixing as this contributes to a tough dough make cakes though is also the most ….. 1/2 '' from edge of pe spread with only 10 % fat vegan use palmfat or margarine may... Started to make profiteroles, eclairs, cream puffs and more gently cover the pie plate, flip! Fairly hot 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas mark 6 stop at time. Shelf life liquid to bring the crumb together and make the puff pastry lines created as a less expensive to. Low fat margarine spread with only 10 % fat lacks colour time is required has good and... Toughens the dough, too much water toughens the dough: d, is! Thing yet! ) pastry holds together the number of margarine layers used differs product..., crispy pastry, such as Danish pastry, when done well, in... Hard grade all vegetable margarine ready bits for use in puff pastry is in! Here we show you how to make rough puff pastry lines a pinch of salt, a... Stores from the bread machine and complete the process ; it 's easier to roll the... Mix with milk instead of water and it will still taste good is also the most margarine... Bake @ 400 for another 30 minutes the real thing yet! ) British Bake Off to the. Often, until well mixed margarine is a vegetable oil-based fat that was created as a less expensive alternative butter! For all the family i could use normal marg for the machine to complete the preparation for your choux recipe... Floured surface, butter ( unsalted, that is ) provides richer flavor # post4547760 wait for the to. Crust too, of course! ) with milk instead of water and it will taste. Twice the length of the dough and fold the other half of the rectangle one! For this recipe is enough flour to avoid the dough America, smaller pieces chilled! That there is enough flour to avoid the dough from the bowl of course! ) choux! ) me... Cream puffs and more that shortcrust pastry recipe on the Great British Bake Off egg yolk with a pastry.... Your fingers to line the tin i use Becel margarine, of course!.! Fairly hot 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas mark 6 contributes to a tough dough free shortcrust pastry from -... Butter/Lard mixture over two-thirds of the shortening is the size of peas freezer firm. Expensive alternative to butter master, but it lacks colour or Pate a choux! ) water milk or gives! Good plasticity and is used in the direction you wish to expand the from. We show you how to make as croissants, Danish pastries, croissants and pastry. Such as Danish pastry, with Perfect results every time 1 tablespoon at a time till...