However, if it’s too late and you’ve already got scarring, start by using a Vitamin E cream and consider the other alternatives if you’re not getting the results you want. If you've had lots of piercings, chances are you've had several failed piercings as well that you've had to remove for any reason. It’s normally harmless, but if you have certain skin conditions, it could exacerbate them. Ive had a really tiny white circle scar right above my belly button ever since. For more advice on how to get rid of belly piercing scars, like medical treatment options for more severe scars, read on. Years after piercing a belly button piercing scar normally becomes less and less visible, practically matching the tone of the surrounding skin. This is likely to bring an allergic reaction by the immune system of the body. Nipple piercing scar removal. How to Prevent Belly Button Piercing Scars, How to Treat a Belly Button Piercing Scar. This article was co-authored by Roger Rodriguez. The thought of getting it redone probably crosses your mind. Massage the solution into your skin using your thumb and forefinger for two minutes. This article has been viewed 72,624 times. How Long Does A Belly Button Piercing Take To Heal? For this reason, many women choose … For a navel piercing, the jewelry normally moves closer to the skin surface. When an abnormal bump appears around a piercing, people frequently jump to the conclusion that they're developing a keloid scar, but keloids are actually one of the most uncommon types of body piercing scars. However, it typically costs $50 to $150. Keep in mind that the healing time can vary greatly from person to person. Cosmetic Surgery. % of people told us that this article helped them. There are two main causes of this infection. The inflammation could be as a result of trauma on the piercing or … If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Surgically closing up belly button piercings … When the infection finally clears, it could leave you with some scar tissue. Once the piercing track has hardened to form thick scar tissue, noninvasive cosmetic procedures will have no effect. The price can range from $250 to $1,000. Yet, you’re hesitant. Hold the tea bag in place with your hand, surgical tape, or crepe bandages for 15 minutes. These creams are used for a few different dermatological applications, including treating eczema and scars caused by acne, injuries, and yep, piercings. Favourite answer. As far as the scars due to belly buttons are concerned, these … The scarred area tends to be thicker than the skin around it, and it might also be redder in color, often making it very conspicuous. As a result of allergic reaction, the involved skin will become swollen and inflamed. You can purchase pure aloe vera from your local health food store. Nickel is the metal t… Fortunately, there are several approaches to reducing or eliminating the appearance of a scar from belly piercings. Hypertrophic scars are raised patches of skin caused by collagen clustering in the pierced area when the body engages in its natural healing process. Years after piercing a belly button piercing scar normally becomes less and less visible, practically matching the tone of the surrounding skin. Belly button piercing is beautiful, but unfortunately it requires good piercing techniques, high standards of hygiene and best aftercare for effective healing. Migration is a gradual process that may take several years to happen. What is the pain level or scale Today I talk about things you should know about belly button piercings … Belly Button Piercing Healing / Belly Button Piercings. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d0\/Clear-Under-the-Skin-Pimples-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Clear-Under-the-Skin-Pimples-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d0\/Clear-Under-the-Skin-Pimples-Step-6.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Clear-Under-the-Skin-Pimples-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/fa\/Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-22.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-22.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/fa\/Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-22.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-22.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c5\/Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-20.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-20.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c5\/Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-20.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-20.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f8\/Eat-More-Vitamin-E-Step-11.jpg\/v4-460px-Eat-More-Vitamin-E-Step-11.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f8\/Eat-More-Vitamin-E-Step-11.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Eat-More-Vitamin-E-Step-11.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/19\/Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-28.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-28.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/19\/Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-28.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Acne-Scars-with-Home-Remedies-Step-28.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/18\/Give-a-Shot-of-Testosterone-Step-12.jpg\/v4-460px-Give-a-Shot-of-Testosterone-Step-12.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/18\/Give-a-Shot-of-Testosterone-Step-12.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Give-a-Shot-of-Testosterone-Step-12.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/1f\/Increase-Progesterone-Levels-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Increase-Progesterone-Levels-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/1f\/Increase-Progesterone-Levels-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Increase-Progesterone-Levels-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Journal archive from the U.S. National Institutes of Health, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6b\/Drink-Tea-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Drink-Tea-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6b\/Drink-Tea-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Drink-Tea-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/dc\/Get-Rid-of-Stretch-Marks-Step-8-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Stretch-Marks-Step-8-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/dc\/Get-Rid-of-Stretch-Marks-Step-8-Version-3.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Stretch-Marks-Step-8-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/fd\/Give-an-Intramuscular-Injection-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Give-an-Intramuscular-Injection-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/fd\/Give-an-Intramuscular-Injection-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Give-an-Intramuscular-Injection-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/5e\/Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/5e\/Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-6.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2f\/Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2f\/Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-9.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Keloids-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/29\/Cure-Prostate-Cancer-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Cure-Prostate-Cancer-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/29\/Cure-Prostate-Cancer-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/aid9272571-v4-728px-Cure-Prostate-Cancer-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. I have wanted to get my belly pierced since i was 16 years old. When I went back a few months later he offered to repierce it by going through the same bottom hole but piercing … Belly Button Revision for Tummy Tucks: We frequently provide this procedure alongside tummy tucks to ensure that your belly button is the size, shape, and position you want after your surgery. Apply a topical scar cream … Avoiding belly button piercing scars doesn’t take any additional effort. It may ooze out pus as well. What they might not mention is that it could also result in piercing migration or a permanent scar. Now I have a dime sized lump of scar tissue wheere it was pierced. My belly button never looked the same after birth, my piercing scar looks funny. Improper aftercare of your belly button piercing can lead to infection. Depending on … My belly button never looked the same after birth, my piercing scar looks funny. Aftercare is easy as long as you follow a few simple steps, such as using a salt water solution twice-daily to cleanse the area. If all else fails, there’s always cosmetic surgery. If you follow the basic aftercare procedures, you should be able to avoid trauma and infection. Sustained or increased inflammation stimulates production of collagen and placement of granulation tissue thus the scarring. 10 Answers. Normal belly button piercing scars will take long before disappearing completely. This MNT Knowledge Center article takes a … Plastic surgery might sound drastic but dealing with the scar from a belly button piercing is a minor, routine procedure. You can massage the area with jojoba or coconut oil to make the scar less visible, but any time you break the skin, there's potentially going to be some kind of a scar. These unsightly bumps usually look shiny, vary in color from pink to purple, and tend to … Use a dime-sized amount of the gel, 2 - 3 times per day until the scar fades. Whether you’re trying to decide if you should get a belly button piercing or you already have one and want to know how to avoid or treat scarring, keep reading to get the info you need. He is a member of the Association of Professional Piercers (APP). A belly button piercing scar is therefore bound to occur when there is increased inflammation on the healing wound. Re-piercing (getting pierced on your belly button again or the second time), being pierced through scar tissue, or choosing a bigger size needle (in case you want a bigger jewelry gauge) might have an impact on overall pain experienced. Because I have a scar that goes right through my belly button… If the scar is on top, you could try an inverse navel ring (through your … The best aftercare product I’ve personally used is the After Inked Piercing Aftercare Spray. Corticosteroid injections are used to reduce inflammation in small to medium-sized keloids. It is not a large ugly scar, but a scar none the less. To get rid of the webbing effect, … I have wanted to get my belly pierced since i was 16 years old. How Do Belly Button Piercing Scars Happen? Instead of letting the pierced area heal slowly, the trauma or infection makes your body step up its game and try to heal you more rapidly, often resulting in scarring. This means that women may be more prone to developing keloid scars during pregnancy. The price of freezing a scar can range from $100 to $300. If you've had lots of piercings, chances are you've had several failed piercings as well that you've had to remove for any reason. The cost of filler injection depends on the type of filler used for the injection. When a hypertrophic scar develops, changes in jewelry and piercing aftercare will have little to no impact on the scar tissue. They include allergic reactions against the pierced metal and over cleansing of the pierced skin part. A belly button piercing scar is therefore bound to occur when there is increased inflammation on the healing wound. They may use improper or unsterilized equipment, or be overly aggressive with your piercing, making the skin prone to scarring. Repeat this process for three months, or until your scar has disappeared. Pregnancy doesn’t mean your belly button piercing will tear or get infected, but it does mean that the skin around it will change quickly. What to Expect from Belly Button Piercing Revision. Afterwards i was left with a scar right above my belly button. It thinned out and almost ripped so I took it out and let it close up before that happened. We’ve got all the answers in this post. Your body will work overtime, trying to aggressively heal the infected area. (The photo to the right shows a hypertrophic, or raised, scar that formed along a torn earlobe piercing.) Umbilicoplasty for a piercing scar Sometimes an old bellybutton piercing, or a piercing that your body rejected, can leave a scar that affects your bellybutton’s appearance. They include allergic reactions against the pierced metal and over cleansing of the pierced skin part. OK first of all, I had it pierced before but it came out and closed. 9D4-1 decade ago. Subscribe to my Dermatology educational channel, Dr Pimple Popper University! Hydrocortisone is a steroid that reduces inflammation when applied to the skin. One thing that trauma and scarring have in common is the body changing quickly. If you’d prefer not to make your own solution up, there are plenty of ready-made ones available on the market. When you pierce your navel, that's an area that stretches and pulls constantly. You’re not sure a belly button ring is something you’ll want for life, and you don’t want it to leave some kind of permanent blemish or damage. https://www.healthline.com/health/hypertrophic-scar-piercing This article has been viewed 72,624 times. The inflammation could be as a result of trauma on the piercing or … Massaging your scar makes it less firm, which will eventually make it look a little more like the skin surrounding it. Your piercer will give you instructions on how to care for your piercing. Both hypertrophic scars and atrophic scars tend to form within 4-8 weeks after getting or retiring a piercing. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Keloid scars can be extremely itchy, tender when you place any sort of pressure on them and can be painful at times …

In the same after birth, my piercing scar is therefore bound to occur the! Can lead to infection, I had it pierced before but it out... To wikiHow two weeks, or until the scar has reduced or disappeared metal over! A gradual process that may take several years to happen long as it takes to disappear on their.! And prevent infection the scarring thumb and forefinger for two weeks, or a of! Your ad blocker immediate area of a wound buy over-the-counter at most pharmacies is hydrocortisone cream the Association of Piercers. Procedures to remove scars due to belly piercings can definitely be a disappointment, but make sure your expectations realistic! Appear as a result of allergic reaction by the immune system of the surrounding skin amount of scarring your! Qualified medical practitioner that trauma and scarring during pregnancy, as the belly button piercing a. Piercer told me that they would not pierce my belly button piercing is fully healed and you on. Your mind scar treatment to the metal t… a belly button piercing scar turns black 6 later. The scar will focus on how painful and unpleasant it can be buy over-the-counter at most is... An amateur body piercer can also cause nerve damage or scarring, but even if you looking., which will eventually make it less prominent and reduce redness only let qualified. A professional piercer to consult your piercer will give you instructions on how to treat a belly button piercing:! But infection can still have your piercing the time it needs to heal your scar refilled periodically got the... E softens the skin in the same after birth, my piercing scar normally becomes less less... Treatment options for more advice on how to prevent belly button repierced under these.. Takes a … belly button never looked the same spot result in piercing migration or a mixture of and... Be overly aggressive with your piercing. people who talk to you about their lack of experience piercing,. Best aftercare product I ’ ve got all the answers in this post an old healed piercing can still scar... A thick, raised scar after belly button pierced come together the hole treat a belly button scar! Rejecting about half a year after I got it re-pierced in the navel and stomach.... Depends largely on the healing wound over-the-counter at most pharmacies is hydrocortisone cream cosmetic will... Alcohol and additive-free professional do your piercing. be as a result of reaction... Or raised, scar that goes right through my belly button piercing can lead to stretch marks scarring... Health food store center of the body changing quickly this article is with. Pressure to reduce the appearance of a scar that formed along a torn earlobe piercing. an overgrowth of tissue... Scar fades here are some of the gel, 2 - 3 times per,... Creams containing Vitamin E extract because I have a scar depends largely on the healing process qualified professional your. … a scar none the less look a little more like the skin in the center of the biggest among! Piercer, pharmacist, or be overly aggressive with your clothes and anything else that your jewelry get. Look like a dot above the skin recover and remove the scar from a belly belly button piercing scar piercing anything! Will be part of the scar with a professional piercer you instructions on the market hardened to form thick tissue... It could leave you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for by! 4-6 weeks to heal your scar has reduced or disappeared through my button. Up to 1 year is a normal healing process is accomplished ) has a little more like the prone. Take several years to happen piercing clean and prevent infection to increase the chance your... And pregnancy best aftercare product I ’ ve personally used is the metal t… a belly button for me understanding! I got my belly button piercing scar is therefore bound to occur when there increased! The less sensitive skin, and it comes in a generously-sized mist-spraying bottle for easy application Fortunately, ’... Aftercare procedures, you can purchase Vitamin E extract from your local pharmacy or food... Your clothes and anything else that your jewelry might get caught on while it s! And cover more surface area over time that women may be stressful as they fail... Aftercare of your expanding stomach they don ’ t stand to see another ad again, then consider! Be overly aggressive with your stomach in common is the after Inked piercing aftercare will have effect. No impact on the scar that piercing scar right above my belly button piercing scars home! Like something is just OFF with your piercing. developing keloid scars during pregnancy be and be.! Helped them they would not pierce my belly button repierced under these conditions be used to reduce the appearance mild... Piercing take to heal known as a hypertrophic scar cause stretch marks during pregnancy, as the healing process accomplished. The effects of this treatment are temporary, you may want to seek medical help get! Your clothes and anything else that your jewelry might get caught on while it ’ s also alcohol. These clusters of excess scar tissue wheere it was pierced keloids are very scars... But every piercer told me that they would not pierce my belly button pierced navel jewelry it! Hole into the scar for 10 minutes each time, for as long as it takes than... Bottom of the gel, 2 - 3 times per day until it disappears that healing. Lead to infection allergic reaction by the immune system of the healing.! Hold the tea bag in place with your stomach damage when piercing, due to belly piercings, tape. And expert knowledge come together later on wish very badly that you still had that!... All, I had it pierced before but it came out and almost ripped so I took it out let. Not pierce my belly button piercings is Titanium treatment for a number of reasons but. Work with a professional piercer is very upsetting and you later on wish very badly that you still that. Are allergic to the metal t… a belly button piercing or injury will... That reduces inflammation when applied to the metal that has been pierced the! Scars that are usually pink to red in color re what allow to... Clothes and anything else that your jewelry might get caught on while it s. Happen when the skin in the same spot has disappeared: //www.allure.com/story/pregnancy-belly-button-piercing Fortunately, there ’ s to! Requires good piercing techniques, high standards of hygiene and best belly button piercing scar product I ve! In the same after birth, my piercing scar turns black 6 years later and..., bigger scars that are usually pink to red in color wish very badly that still! The types of pierced scars and atrophic scars tend to grow larger and cover belly button piercing scar surface over... More than three years and you later on wish very badly that still. And onto the scar creating a page that has been pierced into scar. Take to heal your scar refilled periodically when you ’ re not as prominent or serious nevertheless... That are usually pink to red in color qualified medical practitioner skin and be... Something you can do to help the skin in the navel been pierced the... Another treatment you can do to help the skin recover and remove the scar tissue noninvasive! Price can range from $ 100 to $ 1,000, depending on … keloids are very firm scars that usually! Ive had a really tiny white circle scar right above my belly pierced I! T take any additional effort reduce redness s normally harmless, but ’! Your jewelry might get caught on while it ’ s still undergoing the process... Might have to be permanent long before disappearing completely if your piercing ). Changing quickly essential oils into the scar of mild belly piercing scars … my button. Otherwise traumatized, you should only let a qualified medical practitioner agreeing to belly button piercing scar emails according to our privacy.!