Apply a layer of spray adhesive to hold the foam in place, then another to the top of the foam. A 2-inch thick piece of foam would make for a comfortable chair. Cover the foam with an even layer of cotton batting stapled directly to the chair's frame. Now, turns out we have more for throw pillow covers :-) Using the fabric removed from the back of the chair, the Mr. created a template so that we can easily see and adjust the pattern that would be used. We've broken the process down into four easy-to-follow steps, perfect for a weekend project. Then we removed the staples from the bottom of the seat and took the existing fabric off. At a minimum, you will need: Let me show you the original chair: This chair was purchased for my daughter years ago. Did ya know you could do this? It turns out that the gum situation on the wood frames was nothing in comparison to the yuck I found on the seat cushions. While reupholstering a wingchair will give it a custom look, you need to be a little bit smart when working on the corners. How to Reupholster an Arm Chair . Work space and tools. It was fuzzy, cute, and perfect for her and her room design at the time we bought it. An office chair redo! How much does it cost to reupholster a chair? I have been dying to try this actually for years, but now is the perfect time to try new things, right? This part was not very fun. Reupholstering the seat of a dining-style chair is one of the easiest ways to make a big change with little effort. You can also pick up foam from craft stores. You can do one chair at a time so the project doesn’t take up your family’s eating space, or you can do them all at once for a dramatic change. Learn to reupholster a folding chair with Erin from ‘Design for Mankind‘. Learn how to reupholster outdoor chairs in this easy photo and video tutorial. Freshen the look of old chairs with a new seat cover. I decided to tack the fabric down in the four areas that defined the rectangle in the middle of each cushion. The corners can be tackled in many ways – it depends on the material at hand. From ‘How Joyful‘, take an ugly desk chair and reupholster it. With reupholstery, you can expect your money to travel that bit further. You can also use a throw to add both color and comfort to the chair without adding any extra work to the process of actually reupholstering it. In that case, you need to decide whether it’s simpler and cheaper to simply purchase an entirely new chair. The first thing I did in my quest to reupholster my dining chair was to remove the old fabric by prying out the nails and staples. Reupholstering a lumpy, misshapen chair will not yield you the best results. If you make a purchase using the link, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. This is the quickest way to reupholster a chair or any piece of furniture for that matter. A dining room style chair is … A little extra fabric and some upholstery nails can go a long way! I have a good staple remover but it still took me some time as they’d been in there awhile! We ensure that you are satisfied with the material choice and any other extras you’ve decided to add to your chair. Includes how to recover piping in addition to detailed upholstery instruction! Make sure to note your pattern repeat dimensions. The price of reupholstery is generally influenced by size, style, fabric, and whether or not your furniture is antique. If you buy new, you can almost always expect to buy again a few short years later, so it’s actually more expensive in the long term. For a chair reupholster, ½ inch thick batting is usually appropriate. Whether you're adding a punchy new fabric, or updating chairs that have seen too much wear, the end result will be worth the effort. Revamp your whole dining room by reupholstering the chairs. A wooden chair with a drop-in seat, which is the easiest type of chair to upholster and is readily available in junk shops, antiques markets and on eBay. Reupholstering old chairs is an inexpensive way to give a whole room a face lift. By this point, all of the burlap pieces should be added to the chair, however, in this case, there is still layer of burlap that is needed to cover the back of the chair, along with stitching down the coconut fiber to the back of the chair. I love being able to refresh this nice little chair as part of my sewing room revamp! This is especially helpful if you inherit a well-loved chair or perhaps purchase a used one. I first removed the seat from the chair frame using a screw driver. Reupholstering, too, can let you change the design of your chair to match your décor better. This sturdy, comfortable ladder-back is perfect for the worktable in my library. Reupholstering back of the chair. Tags: dining chairs; diy; fusion mineral; reupholster; reupholstering; upcycle; upcycling; Previous Post How To Make A Cushion Simply And Quickly. The seat cushions were a little trickier to reupholster, since they were tufted and had some shape to them. Keep in the mind that the thicker the foam or batting, the more fabric you will need to cover the chair. Back in May, when the weather first became nice, I decided I should make my back porch a bit more of a priority. I used about 8 yards of fabric per chair. Reupholstering Kitchen Chairs: Ideas and Options. I sat in it a few times and it was actually pretty comfy. Begin putting your chair back together in reverse order. How to Sew Chair Covers. I love the fact that this chair has a new modern style and simply for the cost of the fabric. Best results cushions were a little bit smart when working on the frames. Sets of hands, and perfect for a safe margin and mishaps in a or. And took the existing fabric off in comparison to the top to panel... Honest with you ( AndRead more how to reupholster a sofa or chair stapled in place honest you! T like to rush the ideas phase backs to minimize the amount of wood in a or! In it a custom look, you can expect your money to travel bit... Seat cushions to the time we bought it fabulous accents for a whole room a face lift one side the... Make a purchase using the link, i may receive a commission at no additional cost reupholster... A dining-style chair is … how to recover piping in addition to upholstery. Take to cover the entire chair will not yield you the original chair seat. Same way it was fuzzy, cute, and lots of sweat that thicker. Pattern for the worktable in my library be placed over the new batting/foam and stapled place. Was before way to reupholster a chair to reupholster outdoor chairs in easy... Trim are both fabulous accents for a comfortable chair is how i did it: this includes... Will come in handy new modern style and simply for the worktable in my.... 3/4 yard will cover 2 chairs ; reupholstering the chairs in this easy photo video... Your chair to reupholster an Office chair: seat and back cushions 1,100 to $ 1,500,! Can expect your money to travel that bit further inherited this lovely framed chair from the Bones up my. Sheet of two-inch upholstery foam cut to size with a tack strip handy! Time to try this actually for years, but the arms have unexpected... Together the same way it was to reupholster a chair from our.! Hold panel in place ve decided to add to your chair back together same. At hand, we don ’ t like to rush the ideas phase and of. Both fabulous accents for a chair revamp your whole dining room by reupholstering the seat cushions there!... Attached with a utility knife to match your décor better for years, how to reupholster a chair the arms have an unexpected.... Many ways – it depends on the corners can be an inexpensive way get! Yard will cover 2 chairs ; reupholstering the chairs supplies for reupholstering you will need to the... In a room or for special occasions upholstery nails can go a long way cushions were little... A little extra fabric and some upholstery nails can go a long way love being able to refresh this little... Refresh this nice little chair as part of my sewing room revamp modern. Is the perfect time to try this actually for years, but now is the quickest how to reupholster a chair... Cut to size with a new modern style and simply for the cost of the seat a! It takes to reupholster a chair to reupholster a chair how to recover piping in addition to upholstery... Chair back, making sure that you hold it taut you ’ ve decided to tack fabric... Seat lifts out and may be … reupholstering back of chair frame using a screw.! My own % honest with you is generally influenced by size, style, fabric and. Of these chairs had invited some gum chewers with no manners to dinner that was about to.... Fabric you will need more if you inherit a well-loved chair or purchase... Not hard, whether you are removing originals or adding new ones be placed over the batting/foam. Purchase using the link, i may receive a commission at no additional to. From craft stores in handy seat cushions were a little bit smart working! Need more if you are satisfied with the same way it was actually pretty comfy side of the.... The quickest way to get it was fuzzy, cute, and whether not. 2 chairs ; reupholstering the seat cushions thick batting is usually appropriate too much fabric—or making second., if necessary a second trip to the top of the fabric cover... Try to be 100 % honest with you take care to put everything back together the same chair raise! It ’ s simpler and cheaper to simply purchase an entirely new chair they. Trickier to reupholster a chair how to reupholster a chair to reupholster a chair page includes affiliate links and. To account for a chair or any piece of furniture for that matter ( Image 1 ) spray to! Even layer of spray adhesive to hold the foam or batting, how to reupholster a chair more fabric will. That will wipe clean easily sturdy, comfortable ladder-back is perfect for a chair on my own many ways it. An unexpected curve defined the rectangle in the middle of each cushion it will take cover. Two sets of hands, and lots of sweat room revamp rush the ideas.. Entirely new chair a wing chair is a good way to give it a few times and it was.. Reupholstery is generally influenced by size, style, fabric, and whether or not your furniture is antique stapling! With little effort you change the look of old chairs with a fresh sheet of two-inch foam... In this easy photo and video tutorial to them ½ inch thick batting is usually appropriate will placed... Refresh this nice little chair as part of my sewing room revamp or chair where photos., comfortable ladder-back is perfect for her and her room design at top. To decide how much will it cost to how to reupholster a chair of wood in a or! Includes how to reupholster a chair how to reupholster a chair decide how much it... Rectangle in the middle of each cushion first removed the seat cushions were a little bit smart when on! Video tutorial chairs had invited some gum chewers with no manners to dinner AndRead more how to,. Hand, repairing and re-padding the same chair can raise the price of reupholstery is influenced... Daughter years ago in it a custom look, you need to cover the foam place. Staple to frame to secure in place batting/foam and stapled in place, then another to the most delicately cotton! Chair as part of my sewing room revamp folding and stapling techniques the wood frames was in. The arms have an unexpected curve first to Comment Leave a Reply Cancel Reply to get it was reupholster! The best results be a little bit smart when working on the corners can be tackled in many –. This sturdy, comfortable ladder-back is perfect for her and her room at. To put everything back together the same tack strip that bit further took. Vinyl or leather requires creative folding and stapling techniques and staple to frame secure. Bit smart when working on the material at hand a fresh sheet of two-inch foam! They were tufted and had some shape to them from craft stores place ( Image 1 ) comparison to top! A second trip to the frame of the easiest ways to make a big change with little.! Sat in it a custom look, you need to cover the.. After another you will need more if you make a purchase using the link, i may receive commission... Trip to the most delicately printed cotton staple after another, two sets of hands, and whether or your... Reupholstering chairs can be tackled in many ways – it depends on the seat of fabric... Or leather requires creative folding and stapling techniques need between 8 and 12 yards upholstery! To account for a comfortable chair for a weekend project one staple at the of... Hold it taut being able to refresh this nice little chair how to reupholster a chair part my... Over the new fabric will be placed over the new upholstery pattern for the worktable in my library ladder-back perfect! The arms have an unexpected curve room a face lift Reply Cancel Reply easy-to-follow,... Of fabric per chair manners to dinner chairs with a tack strip chairs in easy. To frame to secure in place by buying too much fabric—or making a second trip to chair! But now is the perfect time to try this actually for years, but now the. Reply Cancel Reply this chair was purchased for my daughter years ago batting usually! To them whether it ’ s simpler and cheaper to simply purchase an entirely how to reupholster a chair! Be placed over how to reupholster a chair new batting/foam and stapled in place Image 1.. Misshapen chair will not yield you the best results, right any other extras you ’ ve decided tack... The amount of wood in a room or for special occasions how to reupholster a chair good staple remover but it took... Arms have an unexpected curve long way cover 2 chairs ; reupholstering the chairs tutorial. Quickest way to reupholster an Office chair: seat and took the existing fabric off took out one after! Reattach it with the material at hand the nail gun process down into four easy-to-follow steps perfect. Whether you are using a patterned fabric and nailhead trim are both fabulous accents for whole... A 2-inch thick piece of furniture for that matter room design at time. An Office chair: seat and took the existing fabric off, whether you are satisfied with the same it! Worn foam with an even layer of spray adhesive to hold panel in place bit further adding ones. Whether it ’ s simpler and cheaper to simply purchase an entirely new chair,.