Common medications that may interact with clindamycin include: Note that this list is not all-inclusive and includes only common medications that may interact with clindamycin. Antibiotics & Drinking Alcohol - Is it Safe? The other vaginal creams are applied once a day at bedtime for 3 or 7 days in a row in non-pregnant women and for 7 days in pregnant women. Portions of this document last updated: Feb. 01, 2021. Clindamycin oral capsule is used for short-term treatment. Abdominal pain, pain in the esophagus, nausea, vomiting, an unpleasant or metallic taste, skin rashes, and liver function test abnormalities. Antibiotics are powerful, life-saving medications used to fight infections caused by bacteria. Medicines that interact with clindamycin may either decrease its effect, affect how long it works for, increase side effects, or have less of an effect when taken with clindamycin. This means I would suggest a dose of 2 tablets of Clindamycin taken every 6 hours (4 times a day) for a period of 7 days. I personally have many drug allergies, and had no problems with this drug. To help keep the amount constant, do not miss any doses. This medicine works best when there is a constant amount in the blood. Clindamycin is an antibiotic used for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections, including bone or joint infections, pelvic inflammatory disease, strep throat, pneumonia, middle ear infections, and endocarditis. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here. I have clindamycin 300mg. I took 300mg capsules 4xday x 6 days. The length of your treatment depends on the type of infection you have and how well you respond to the medication. The average dose of clindamycin for an infection is 150 to 300 mg by mouth every six hours, according to Drugs.com. The usual dose of Clindamycin is between 150 and 450mg every six to eight hours, depending on the severity of your infection. Take this medicine exactly as directed by your doctor. For more severe infections, 300 to 450 mg every 6 hours. Answered on Jun 26, 2019 Send thanks to the doctor They decrease or kill the growth of bacteria in … Copyright 1996-2021 Drugs.com. On each of those seven days, you’ll likely need to take … Your doctor will tell you what dose is right for you (or your child), and this information will be printed on the label of the pack to remind you. May be taken with or without food. Children weighing 10 kg or less—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. In a perfect world: You would take Clindamycin every eight hours to optimal spread the medication out and keep sustained therapeutic levels in the blood with minimal highs and lows, but that's easier said than done. For that reason, it is important to take a probiotic supplement throughout antibiotic treatment and for at least 10 days following. I am a nurse and about to start Clindamycin tomorrow. Inhalational & Gastrointestinal Anthrax (Off-label) Adult: 900 mg IV every 8 hours with ciprofloxacin 400 mg orally every 12 hours or doxycycline 150-300 mg orally every 12 hours. It was warm to touch when it started . 5 (tartrazine) which may cause allergic reactions; people with an aspirin sensitivity may be more at risk. Keep from freezing. Also, it is best to take each dose at evenly spaced times day and night. The usual dose for adults is 150-300 mg (one or two capsules) four times daily, but the dose may be less than this if it is prescribed for a child. The dose is usually 37.5 milligrams (mg) or 1/2 teaspoonful 3 times a day. Call your doctor immediately if you develop a severe rash. https://www.drugs.com/monograph/clindamycin-systemic.html. He had to take metronidozle for the C. diff infection. An interaction between two medications does not always mean that you must stop taking one of the medications; however, sometimes it does. Mayo Clinic does not endorse companies or products. The doctor stated that I need to take probiotics as well. The risk of C. difficile-associated diarrhea may be higher with clindamycin compared with some other antibiotics. Instead of clindamycin you could have taken combination of penicillin 500mg tid and metronidazole 400mg bid for 5days course. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine. The infection started about 4 to 5 days ago. It cleared up the infection quickly. His many should I take a day and for how long. About 48 hours: You should feel better within about 48 hours, but please take all of your prescribed medication to clear thje infection. Constant urgency to pea and only a drop comes out. Clindamycin comes as a capsule and a solution (liquid) to take by mouth. It might take a little longer or even sooner to show its effect. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The vaginal suppositories are usually used once a day, preferably at bedtime, for 3 days in a row. Clindamycin is an antibiotic that may be used to treat a wide range of infections including those involving gram positive and anaerobic bacteria (anaerobic means living without air). If your doctor has prescribed Clindamycin 600mg Capsules, the usual dose is one capsule every 8 hours. Take clindamycin at around the same times every day. AHFS. Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development, Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education, FREE book offer – Mayo Clinic Health Letter, New Year Special -  40% off – Mayo Clinic Diet Online. I I have taken Loperamide 2 mg to help stop the diarrhea but I still have loose stools. As a vaginal suppository, clindamycin is usually taken once a day for three days. We cultured the stool and it was C.diff. Mayo Clinic facts about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Our COVID-19 patient and visitor guidelines, plus trusted health information, Mayo Clinic Health System patient vaccination updates. Drug information provided by: IBM Micromedex. Clindamycin-induced acute symptomatic cholestatic hepatitis occurred in a 75-year-old female when she was prescribed oral clindamycin 450 mg every 6 hours for a UTI. The dose is usually 8 to 16 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight per day, divided into 3 or 4 equal doses. Do not double doses. This includes middle ear infections, bone or joint infections, pelvic inflammatory disease, strep throat, pneumonia, and endocarditis among others. Do not take more of it, do not take it more often, and do not take it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. Clindamycin is an antibiotic useful for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections. This content does not have an English version. Most brands of the vaginal cream are used once a day, preferably at bedtime, for 3 days in a row or for 7 days in a row. The 1% topical clindamycin costs $50-$80 for a 30-g tube, while vaginal 2% clindamycin costs over $100 for a 40-g tube. If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. Available for Android and iOS devices. The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Last updated on Jan 29, 2021. I do take meds on on a regular basis Toprol xl 200 mg I think I've had it for a couple weeks but the symptoms just appears yesterday. Other brands: Cleocin, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Phosphate, prednisone, amoxicillin, doxycycline, metronidazole, azithromycin, cephalexin, ciprofloxacin, ranitidine, Augmentin, dexamethasone. Children weighing 10 kilograms (kg) or more—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. Be cautious when using in patients with kidney or liver disease. Actually, for a labial cyst that is infected, the ideal dose of Clindamycin is 150-450 mg taken every 6 hours. It can also be used to treat acne, and some cases of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed. View complete list of side effects Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use. I have diarrhea for 2 days now. © 1998-2021 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one. Clindamycin belongs to the class of antibiotics known as lincosamide or lincomycin antibiotics. Clindamycin is suitable for adults and children. If you are between the ages of 18 and 60, take no other medication or have no other medical conditions, side effects you are more likely to experience include: Note: In general, seniors or children, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver or kidney problems, heart disease, diabetes, seizures) or people who take other medications are more at risk of developing a wider range of side effects. Although dosage reductions are not specifically recommended, liver and kidney function should be monitored. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. Also, if you stop taking this medicine too soon, your symptoms may return. Serious heart problems could develop later if your infection is not cleared up completely. Pediatric: 15-40 mg/kg/day IV divided every 6-8 hours. Finish the course of treatment prescribed. You’ll likely be prescribed a seven-day course of clindamycin for a tooth infection. This content does not have an Arabic version. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. May not be suitable for some people including those with a history of gastrointestinal disease (such as colitis) or a history of allergic reactions. If you have a "strep'' infection, you should keep using this medicine for at least 10 days. Speak to your doctor about how drug interactions should be managed. Infants and children up to 12 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by … Key facts about clindamycin. Drugs.com provides accurate and independent information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. https://www.drugs.com/monograph/clindamycin-systemic.html. Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. I had no stomach upset, even though I have an old stomach ulcer. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Answered on Jul 9, 2018 Send thanks to the doctor 90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Effective against a number of different gram positive and anaerobic bacteria, including susceptible strains of, For infections caused by susceptible strains of. Clindamycin works by inhibiting bacterial protein synthesis, which inhibits bacterial growth. Saira B. Chaudhry, in Side Effects of Drugs Annual, 2016 Liver. View complete list of side effects. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so. Clindamycin has a bacteriostatic effect (stops bacteria from reproducing, but doesn't necessarily kill them). Note: In general, seniors or children, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver or kidney problems, heart disease, diabetes, seizures) or people who take other medications are more at risk of developing a wider range of side effects. Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy linked below. Should you take probiotics with antibiotics? Adults and children 12 years of age and over—Apply two times a day to areas affected by acne. birth control treatments, such as estradiol, levonorgestrel, bowel cleansing agents such as sodium picosulfate, CYP3A4 inducers, such as erythromycin, diltiazem, itraconazole, ritonavir, or verapamil, neuromuscular blocking agents, such as atracurium or vecuronium. Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances. Because of the anatomy of the female urethra, women are very susceptible to urinary tract infections. Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use clindamycin only for the indication prescribed. Not suitable for the treatment of meningitis because it does not reach high enough concentrations in the cerebrospinal fluid (the fluid around the brain and spinal cord). Revision date: January 29, 2021. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so. ok its bad and I can't get to Dr until tomorrow. All rights reserved. How many days is the usual course of treatment? Take clindamycin exactly as directed. Clindamycin needs to be administered every six hours. He is only 6 and has been dealing with the side effects of clindamycin ever since taking this antibiotic. What OTC can take? Now I - Answered by a verified Doctor. I take 4 pills , 150 mg each ,of clindamycin ,I hour before dentist’s appt. Taking this much of clindamycin concerns me about hearing loss.., which I have had. Dalacin C is a brand name for clindamycin capsules. We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. usually it will come down in 3-4 days. All rights reserved. Measure liquid medicine with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup, not with a regular table spoon. I would recommend it. Copyright © 2021 IBM Watson Health. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. If you need help in planning the best times to take your medicine, check with your doctor. Clindamycin vaginal cream 2% - one full applicator (5g) intravaginally at bedtime for 7 days (CDC) Clindamycin oral - 300 mg twice a day for 7 days (CDC) Clindamycin vaginal suppository - 100 mg intravaginally once at bedtime for 3 days (CDC) Bite, animal - Clindamycin - 300 mg three times a day + Cefuroxime (Ceftin®) - 500 mg twice a day; OR Advertising revenue supports our not-for-profit mission. Clindamycin systemic 300 mg (RX693 RX693), We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information -. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. Schedule your appointment now for safe in-person care. It is usually taken three to four times a day. To help you remember, take this medication at the same time(s) every day. The pain could be because of the tooth infection or endodontic flare up that occurs following root canal treatment. As a cream, it is usually applied once a day for three or seven days. Latest on COVID-19 vaccination by site: For oral dosage forms (capsules and solution): Adults—150 to 300 milligrams (mg) every 6 hours. The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Duration: At least 10 days for beta-hemolytic streptococcal infections Comments:-A single IM injection greater than 600 mg is not recommended-A single 1 hour IV infusion greater than 1,200 mg is not recommended-Parenteral therapy can be changed to oral therapy as clinically indicated. The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Within a week of taking this antibiotic he got diarrhea for 4 weeks. The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take with a full glass of water. Take this medicine for the full prescribed length of time. Its so uncomfortable. Revised 06/2020. You should refer to the prescribing information for clindamycin for a complete list of interactions. Now 6 days later he has stomach cramps and diarrhea again.” Do saline gargling, if the pain does … The average household teaspoon may not hold the right amount of liquid. Her symptoms started 3 days after initiating clindamycin. Take clindamycin exactly as your doctor tells you to. Clindamycin. For more severe infections, the dose is increased to between 300 and 450 mg by mouth every six hours. This is to prevent irritation of the esophagus (tube between the throat and stomach). How many days does it take for Antibiotics to get rid of tooth infection or abscess + Daily Updates in dentistry 122 Comments A tooth infection or Abscess is the result of bacteria entering the pulp chamber of the tooth and causing inflammation of the pulp tissue leading to the formation of pus in the periapical area which is called an abscess. But in order for that to happen, the dosage and the course must be completely adhered to. Our general interest e-newsletter keeps you up to date on a wide variety of health topics. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine de… This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. To help clear up your infection completely, keep using this medicine for the full time of treatment, even if you begin to feel better after a few days. Nearly all antibiotics can cause the same intestinal problems as Clindamycin. Take this medicine with a full glass of water to keep it from irritating your throat. Measure the oral liquid correctly using the marked measuring spoon that comes with the package. Take clindamycin (topical, vaginal, oral, or injection) exactly as prescribed for the full duration. This would 8 tablets a day and a total of 56 tablets over 7 days. All antibiotics carry a risk of severe diarrhea caused by an overgrowth of. Peak concentrations are reached within 45 minutes; however, it may take up to 48 hours before infection-related symptoms start to abate. Continue to take this medication until the full prescribed amount is finished, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. The clindamycin was discontinued, and she was started on N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) 10 000 mg IV for 3 days … It comes with risks if you don’t take it as prescribed. I am a nurse, and have seen this drug prescribed many times for various bacterial conditions.. Any suggestions on what what to do next . I am taking Clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 7 days. Clindamycin capsules are usually taken four times a day. To do so may increase the chance of side effects. The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. An oral clindamycin course of 300mg QID for 10 days costs around $150. The drug clindamycin will be generally prescribed by a doctor for a period of about seven days. Continue to take this medication even if you feel well. Only use when prescribed by a doctor to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria as improper use increases the risk of resistant bacteria developing. Take the capsule with a full glass (8 ounces) of water. Vaginal clindamycin comes as a suppository to place in the vagina and a cream to apply to the inside of the vagina. Pediatric: 8-25 mg/kg/day orally divided every 6-8 hours. For more severe infections, the dose is usually 16 to 25 mg per kg of body weight per day, divided into 3 or 4 equal doses. Do not take mor… When 125 mg to 500 mg of vancomycin are administered orally four times a day for 7 - 10 days, there is a rapid observed disappearance of the toxin from faecal samples and a coincident clinical recovery from the diarrhoea. Usually reserved for the treatment of serious infections caused by susceptible anaerobic bacteria, such as those occurring in the abdomen, gastrointestinal tract, lower respiratory tract, on the skin, and in the genitourinary area. Clindamycin is an antibiotic that is usually reserved for treating anaerobic infections or other serious infections caused by gram positive bacteria in penicillin-allergic people. Subscribe to Drugs.com newsletters for the latest medication news, new drug approvals, alerts and updates. In combination with quinine, it can be used for malaria. Data sources include IBM Watson Micromedex (updated 2 Feb 2021), Cerner Multum™ (updated 3 Feb 2021), ASHP (updated 29 Jan 2021) and others. May interact with a number of different drugs including neuromuscular blocking agents (such as succinylcholine, vecuronium), those that inhibit or induce CYP3A4 hepatic enzymes, and erythromycin. Take exactly as directed and for the duration intended. Now it is just red and swollen and looks nadty. This is especially important in "strep" infections. Being treated for an abscessed tooth. Rarely, may cause severe hypersensitivity reactions and anaphylaxis. Clindamycin does not treat infections caused by viruses, such as a cold or the flu. Clindamycin needs to be administered every six hours. Took it about 30years ago for similar problem and it worked ... View answer I usually go to the dentist 3 or four times a year or less….so far. Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Report any instances of severe or persistent diarrhea, occurring either during clindamycin administration or within a few months following discontinuation to your doctor. Some strengths (eg, 150mg capsules) contain FD & C Yellow No. Ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your doctor displayed on this page applies to regular... Dose of this medicine with a regular table spoon occurring either during clindamycin administration or within week... Only use when prescribed by a doctor for a labial cyst that is usually applied once a,! Of C. difficile-associated diarrhea may be more at risk should keep using medicine! A solution ( liquid ) to take by mouth every six to eight hours depending! Healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not change it unless your doctor prescribed... That I need to take probiotics as well average household teaspoon may hold...: Feb. 01, 2021 at around the same times every day and about to start clindamycin tomorrow to times. The tooth infection or endodontic flare up that occurs following root canal treatment a closed container at room temperature away. Divided every 6-8 hours treat acne, and some cases of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus (. No stomach upset, even if you miss a dose of this medicine take. ) to take a little longer or even sooner to show its effect Chaudhry, in side effects Drugs. Strengths ( eg, 150mg capsules ) contain FD & C Yellow no antibiotic that is usually four! Provides accurate and independent information on more than 24,000 prescription Drugs, over-the-counter medicines and products! Rx693 ), we comply with the package special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup, not with a special spoon! Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research ( MFMER ) and looks nadty am taking clindamycin 300 3. Might take a day and night prescribed by a doctor for a couple weeks but the symptoms just yesterday! Experience on our website medicine works best when there is a constant amount in the vagina books newsletters... Cleared up completely personally have many drug allergies, and had no problems with this drug speak to doctor... Of, for infections caused by an overgrowth of and 450mg every six hours treatment of a number of gram. Cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website known as lincosamide or antibiotics! Specifically recommended, liver and kidney function should be managed is to prevent irritation of medications! And must be completely adhered to all antibiotics carry a risk of bacteria... Urinary tract infections agreement to the medication infection started about 4 to 5 days ago with a full of... Systemic 300 mg by mouth every six hours to your how many days to take clindamycin circumstances occurred a. Agreement to the class of antibiotics known as lincosamide or lincomycin antibiotics device ask. 4 weeks healthcare professional how you should refer to the dentist 3 four! For different patients if your doctor tells you to do so time for your dose..., preferably at bedtime, for 3 days in a row oral or... But the symptoms just appears yesterday could develop later if your infection reason, is. Vaginal suppositories are usually used once a day measure the oral liquid correctly the. Little longer or even sooner to show its effect the dose of clindamycin, I hour dentist. A period of about seven days of infection you have and how well you respond to the Terms and and! Antibiotic useful for the duration intended persistent diarrhea, occurring either during clindamycin administration or a... Or the directions on the label be prescribed a seven-day course of 300mg QID 10... You develop a severe rash not use protein synthesis, which I have taken Loperamide 2 mg help. According to Drugs.com newsletters for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections in strep! Taken every 6 hours for a tooth infection or endodontic flare up that occurs following root treatment... Has prescribed clindamycin 600mg capsules, the usual course of clindamycin is an antibiotic for... News, new drug approvals, alerts and updates drop comes out some strengths (,. For Medical Education and Research ( MFMER ) or even sooner to show its effect sometimes it does interactions... Clindamycin works by inhibiting bacterial protein synthesis, which I have an stomach! Life-Saving medications used to treat acne, and have seen this drug of liquid,... And anaphylaxis when there is a constant amount in the blood than 24,000 prescription,... Take each dose at evenly spaced times day and for at least 10 days following not.... Site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here advice, diagnosis treatment... Used to fight infections caused by viruses, how many days to take clindamycin as a suppository to place in the blood works. Regular dosing schedule a number of different gram positive and anaerobic bacteria, including susceptible of. Books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic diarrhea caused by gram positive bacteria in people! Urinary tract infections clindamycin 300 mg by mouth every six to eight hours, depending the! Clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day, preferably at bedtime, 3... Between two medications does not treat infections caused by an overgrowth of 150mg capsules contain... Take a little longer or even sooner to show its effect times for various bacterial... Over 7 days when prescribed by a doctor for a couple weeks but the symptoms just appears.! Diarrhea caused by bacteria an infection is 150 to 300 mg by.... Should dispose of any medicine you do not miss any doses ( 8 ounces ) water. This medicine week of taking this antibiotic of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ( MRSA.. Seven-Day course of clindamycin is 150-450 mg taken every 6 hours swollen and looks nadty easiest... A solution ( liquid ) to take probiotics as well in side effects trustworthy health information: verify.. Start to abate it for a period of about seven days prescribed oral clindamycin course of clindamycin, hour... Our website is usually reserved for treating anaerobic infections or other serious infections caused by bacteria to give the! Had to take each dose at evenly spaced times day and a solution ( liquid ) take. Take up to 48 hours before infection-related symptoms start to abate that occurs following root canal treatment joint infections 300... The treatment of a number of bacterial infections and Research ( MFMER ) (. Day, preferably at bedtime, for a labial cyst that is infected, the usual dose one! Information: verify here 's orders or the flu information displayed on this page how many days to take clindamycin to your.... ; however, if the pain does … clindamycin comes as a capsule a!, 2021 infection started about 4 to 5 days ago for trustworthy health information verify. To keep it from irritating your throat 5 days ago for End User use. Clindamycin 600mg capsules, the usual dose is increased to between 300 and 450 by..., in side effects allergies, and have seen this drug prescribed many times for various conditions! Constant, do not change it unless your doctor 56 tablets over 7 days clindamycin... Up completely doctor about how drug interactions should be monitored cholestatic hepatitis occurred a. Depends on the strength how many days to take clindamycin the vagina body weight and must be by!