No surprise, these SAR groups are very busy in Colorado. Here are some other resources about The Colorado Trail: Once you have completed The Colorado Trail, be sure to fill out The Colorado Trail Completers form. Here are some pictures from my trip… Had a blast last sept on JMT can’t wait to get high again! Car rentals also available. One of my good friends is from Israel..I know he LOVED Colorado. K-belle also has a nice selection of all the food you need. Always good to call ahead. Westminster, Colorado 1,092 contributions 183 helpful votes. The highest point on the Colorado Trail is … Restored mining town. Waterton Canyon is a very busy trailhead with a lot of parking space. Prefer to pick up meals you made yourself be it for nutritional  or personal taste. I am looking for a breathtaking experience to take my sullen teenager on. Was using a phone, and was able to dl. Hello! Getting back to Denver or into Durango you have a few different options. Location: From the east entrance, travel 0.2 miles (0.3 km). The Waterboard is not responsible for your vehicle. By The Colorado Trail, The Colorado Trail: The Trailside Databook, Seventh Edition. Snowshoeing. If you have additional questions or about this document or The Colorado Trail in general, then please feel free to e-mail me. Shortly after this town, you will come to a trailhead for Missouri Gulch. Section (segment) hiking is a great way to see the trail and being able to do the trail a weekend, week or more at a time. Another option is the Sedalia RV storage listed earlier: Sedalia RV Storage (303) 688-3842. if you want a private room). 5280 has a newsletter for everyone. Cottonwood Pass is slated to open again by Aug 12, 2019 at the earliest. You will need Trails Illustrated Map #105. Roads included are Halfmoon, Winfield, Hancock, Cottonwood, Mt. Explore the best rated trails in Colorado, whether you're looking an easy walking trail or a bike trail like the Animas River Trail and Arkansas Riverwalk Trail.With more than 179 trails covering 1156 miles you’re bound to find a perfect trail for you. May take maildrops if you call ahead. Please see below Durango  for resupply info on Collegiate West alt route, 190.8 via  Clear Creek Rd/RT 390 then US 24. No app or databook will list *all* the campsites. Takes mail drops.See website for more info. Right at the ski area. Higher elevations and at night, not so much. That’s only an issue on phones from what i have seen. If you hiked the trail in segments, be sure to let The Colorado Trail foundation know you complete The Colorado Trail! Bar and grill. Hope Pass: The old Colorado Trail route (and current CDT / Collegiate West route) is harder but much more scenic than official CT on the Collegiate East. The lush undergrowth had simply consumed it. Glad you enjoyed the trip! Colorado Trail Segment 2 . Colorado Trail Segment 22 is a 17.2 mile segment from Spring Crk. Hiking. Its very extensive and I cant wait to go next summer! Paul, You mention that Amtrak stops in Frisco. Enjoy the hike though. from Kokopelli Trail System (Loma) to Riverbend Park (Palisade). They can leave cars there while thru-hiking the CT. Common sense would advise against leaving any valuables in your car for an extended period of time. Molas Lake Campground: Check this link under FAQ — updates on resupply. I’ve been asked about leaving a car at Waterton Canyon. The RTD station is about a 20-minute walk from the Greyhound station. But it is an option that could work for some people esp in long stretches (e.g. The advantage of this method is that the supplies are waiting in a package for you. You will see fellow CT travelers along the way. TH at 240 is for “Angel of Shavano”, a 14er. As of Sept 2017, there is a bear box in the camp for food storage. You can reverse the route to get into Durango. Note: There may be more stores than listed. United  Airlines also has one-way flights from Durango to Denver; reported to be expensive. The western portion that hugs the divide? Thanks! Mirroring other popular trails, Facebook pages for the current year hikers are cropping up. Limited parking is on the left. Jefferson: Hungry Moose Caboose has BBQ. View amenities, descriptions, reviews, photos, itineraries, and directions on TrailLink. Why Did Palantir Technologies Move Its Headquarters From Silicon Valley to Denver? If you start late in the season, going I’m interested in trying to figure out the average amount of time that users take on the trail, and the amount of time they wish they had since that can be used as a reference tool by people planning their own trips in the future. There are popular spots listed in the databook and apps, but no resource to list every possible camp site. Dogs are allowed on the majority on The Colorado Trail. Some people choose to walk the CDT for a bit, others choose to follow some harder but more scenic routes, still others take alternates that encompass doing 14ers then dropping back to the CT. Look at your maps and see what looks good to you! […] foods I want while not spending valuable time trying to figure out options at a grocery store. Sunglasses and sun protection are a must! : Despite popular misconceptions, the CORSAR (Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search And Rescue)  card is not insurance. The hours will be longer and more flexible. As they stated “If you take this method, please note that it is not okay to leave a bunch of flimsy Rubbermade bins in the forest. Besides allowing dogs, the alternate start has a campground at the start of the alternate and camping is allowed along the way. (see info below in Section Hiking Transportation for The Colorado Trail). Recommend using UPS or FedEx. The Facebook pages are the most active discussion groups. Hi, Reviews (11) Photos (19) Recordings (11) I don’t know if you want to include this in part of your guide, but I found a decent online map of the trail with the segments and CW route outlined: http://www.colorado.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/colo_trail_map.jpg. Maybe others can find it useful to have the whole CT displayed in a jpeg. Nicely summed up by Jerry Brown of Bear Creek Survey: Hikers need to be aware that the USFS has just enacted new restrictions regarding food storage which is in effect for San Isabel and Pike National Forests. In downtown near amenities. It should be noted that more local businesses in towns are offering shuttle options, too. BUSINESSES WILL NOT ACCEPT MAILDROPS, Keeping it very local this weekend. Complete with CalTopo maps, alt routes, and where dropping your pack for a side trip may be advisable. I’m an experienced Colorado hiker so I would not need Yogi’s guide and I feel comfortable enough with the navigation that II would not need the Atlas (Guthook) CT app. https://www.amtrak.com/thruway-connecting-services-multiply-your-travel-destinations, They have a thru-way bus stop in Frisco. The following are good Guidebooks for The Colorado Trail. Even in known good coverage areas, cell phone coverage can be spotty at times. Once into Durango, it is a ~4-mile walk from the downtown area to the Durango terminus of The Colorado Trail (Kennebec Trailhead) at Junction Creek Road. Is the monarch crest store right on the CW route or the standard route. I’m concidering a food cache at Cottonwood pass. If you hiked the trail in segments, be sure to let The Colorado Trail foundation know you complete The Colorado Trail! Similar to the Bear Creek Maps. Thank you! This alternate is far prettier than the official CT East in the sage IMO. Talus vs. Scree - What is the difference? Any thoughts? Please read the Privacy Policy for additional details. In general assuming an average hike of The Colorado Trail of 4-5 weeks, figure roughly $1000 +/-. trail. If you’re new to backpacking, the mantra is maintaining comfort while minimizing weight. Great website, lots of very useful info (thanks). Though written for the Pacific Crest Trail, this. Colorado Trail “End to End” Guide – first version June 2005, CategoriesQuick and Dirty Guides, Trip PlanningTagscollegiate loop, Colorado, Colorado Trail, resupply, thru hiking, mags, We live just 5 miles from the Dgo TH so we literally waked home. The. High Country Market actively seeking hiker input on what to stock. Seriously so helpful, as a prep for the CT this summer. See below for more info. For tomorrow (last-minute-ish), it’s $44 ($49 without). .lynwoodparkbailey.com  Their indoor hostel-like accommodations are in their Gathering Room and, when available, the price is usually $35 per night, shower and coin-op laundry included. ] It takes most hikers 4-6 weeks to hike the trail. If you use a maildrop, be sure to mail out as the example below shows: c/o General Delivery Ma Nature doesn’t always stick to this schedule, but she sure is consistent about if for the most part! Beer Thirty Hike: Not an alternate per se, but an easy way to do a  14 mile/3500′ gain slack pack between Breck and Copper using the Summit County Bus transit system. This time frame is just a rule of thumb that can change depending upon snow pack, hiking pace, rate of snow melt and an early winter. I have the 8th edition CT guidebook and the CT data book. There is a community on the trail and in towns. The Colorado Trail is a 486-mile-long greatest hits collection of the Centennial State’s most picturesque scenery, from wildflower-strewn meadows to sky-high rocky ridges, that runs from Denver to Durango. I plan to bring my trail dog and 10 year old which complicates logistics as the busses don’t allow dogs…only option I’ve found so far is a one way rental from Denver to Leadville and repeat to return. The lower (Eastern) route may be OK for the most part, but even that will have a good amount of snow in spots. Like. Elkhorn RV resort has tent sites and heated camper cabins. Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities. Taking a month or so to thru-hike the entire length would be a dream for most backpacking enthusiasts. A good card to buy to help out a bit. Reverse the route if Durango bound. his link from The Colorado Trail Foundation may be useful as well. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Cafeteria. One man offers his sage advice on how to tackle the 486-mile Colorado Trail, piece by piece. Coming from the south end of the trail near Durango is even steeper: you’ll be above 11,000 feet in about 20 miles. There is no additional fee for purchasing items through these links. I would get the latest data book as it will have the changes in detail. . Plan accordingly, http://www.the2016plan.com/coloradotrail/planning.html, surplus store such as found on eBay or Amazon. About lightning: Lightning is the fact of nature many CTers have the most concern. https://pmags.com/lightweight-backpacking-101 Welcome to the Trail . The following are ways you can section hike The Colorado Trail: Finally, if you are section hiking, The Colorado Trail Guidebook is very useful for trailhead info and directions. The post office will generally hold your package for up to two weeks. Will do basic shuttles. Colorado Trail Hiker & Bikepacker Trip Length Survey. http:www.coloradotrail.org; Weather According to the latest figures, The Colorado Trail averages 10347′ throughout its length! Climbing the 14ers is a very popular activity in Colorado. During a small window in the summer, the snow clears to unveil an epic high altitude through-ride on some of the best trails in the Rocky Mountains. Some people carry a GPS unit; we like old paper maps. Princeton hot springs and although they are right off the trail, the woman assured me they offer nothing cheaper than 230 a night. Especially on weekends, you will see many people on a summit. Naturally, this is a good place to crash if you end The Colorado Trail later in the day and don’t wish to push on into Durango that night. Roxborough State Park does not allow camping or dogs but is an interesting and scenic alternative. You probably have an excellent ccardio base, but it is a different set of muscles. This route is the same length as the current CT (~80 miles) through this section but offers a higher ridge walk alternative that many people may find interesting. Of course we wanted to just resupply and keep going until we ran out of money! Or is it likely to be full in mid July? Lyft and Uber are viable options as well. Thanks for the kind words. Thx for all the great CT info! The Colorado Trail is one of the longest, more arduous, yet most rewarding bikepacking routes in the US. Princeton Hot Springs – PHS Store – (719) 395-2447- Store reported to have some canisters in stock. This route has an elevation gain of about 0 ft and is rated as easy. Monsoon season may be off, possibly more wildfires and a prolonged Fall/later winter. Probably not a bad map to include, though. We’re hoping to finish in the relatively near future. They are CT corridor maps and do not show much outside the trail corridor. One of the big attractions of The Colorado Trail is the alternate routes that can be done. (To reduce weight, I cut out the pages pertaining to whatever segment I’m traveling and only carry those.). By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of cookies. Not saying that Creede is a bad place, just that hanging out with other trail alumni is a pretty… Read more ». One man offers his sage advice on how to tackle the 486-mile Colorado Trail, piece by piece. I’ve been backpacking since for about 8 years now but ive never been out for more than 7 days. Thanks for putting it together. This route has an elevation gain of about 0 ft and is rated as easy. The trailhead is also on a busy road. But by then the trail is already under your skin so you’ll keep going to accomplish your goal.”. The most common figure given for walking the full length of the Colorado Trail is from four to six weeks, or from 28 to 42 days. Figure out how far you want to walk each day, and then cross-reference that with the book to determine if you need to cut it back or add a few miles in order to stop where suitable camping should be available. Along the way, it passes through eight mountain ranges, six National Forests, and six wilderness areas. The CORSAR card is essentially a charitable donation to help defray the cost of training and rescues for the hard-working SAR groups in Colorado. But nothing is 100%! Treat yourself to a beer and a burger. On a time crunch and grabbing a package does save time vs. shopping in town. Poncha Springs is actually 5 miles west of Salida, not 10 miles east. Basic camping items as Sasquatch Outpost and Knotty Pine. Note that Grand Junction has a decent-sized airport with regular flights to/from Denver. Postholer also has a neat little , and free, Atlas Guides (Guthook) has a Colorado Trail app. Take the Lost Creek High Route! https://pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer. The Trail passes through six National Forests, six Wilderness areas, traverses five major river … Always say “Please” and “Thank you”, don’t act like you are entitled to anything because you are a long-distance hiker, and respect not only your fellow hikers but also the people in the towns you are entering. Be sure to have an ID ready when you pick up your package. – Great apple glaze pork spare ribs – yummy + beer. Getting to. A way to save money is to limit town stops and overnight stays in particular,  only purchase food for re-supply purposes, do not indulge in any alcohol, and limit side trips while in town such as rafting. At least that is how it is for me. walk to nearby light rail station on 16th Street mall. As a side note, thanks so much for making this guide, it has been a ton of help! Hiking the Colorado Trail. Thanks for this great information. Naturally wildfires will affect trail closures or even resupply. roadwalk route, old CT over Hope Pass or current CT route. The bears in Colorado tend to be less of a problem than California, but you’ll want to use the above suggestions in any case. Please Note: As with all mountain areas, the places below can be busy on weekends and holidays on or before Labor Day Weekend. Be careful! Feedback always welcome. Gunnison: A good-sized college town that has full resupply, outfitters, lodging, etc. Sunrise and sunset times, civil twilight start and end times as well as solar noon, and day length for every day of November 2013 in Deer Trail, Colorado.. has an excellent set of guidelines at the “Endangered Services Campaign” site. It does NOT have the 2014 Collegiate West re-route however. Denver, CO 80202. Keep me up to date on the latest trends and happenings around Denver. Date of experience: August 2020. Lowest Elevation: 5,520 feet; Waterton Canyon terminus in Denver. More info here as well. It takes most hikers 4-6 weeks to hike the trail. Will take into account the above and will read more about the issue of bears; if I still am not sure – I will go with the bear vault (regardless of its weight). There are three popular places to start the Colorado Trail from Denver. Being exposed in a lightning storm is scary. Biking. Lodging in cabins. he CORSAR (Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search And Rescue)  card is, take this alternate not far from Waterton Canyon, ake Light Rail to Mineral – Littleton station, The Colorado Trail: The Official Guidebook, Ninth Edition. The Colorado Trail guidebook lists the appropriate map to use for each section. Michelle at Waterton Canyon would like people to call 303-979-4129 and give them the make of the car, license plate, etc. A hiker will pick up their package, dump the food in their pack, and go. See above for more details. As the saying goes “There are old mountaineers and there are bold mountaineers. I need to see all campsites. the Summit Stage also connects Frisco to Leadville for $5. ETB pocket atlas is essentially a map guide and town guide in one. Posted onApril 18, 2014August 26, 2020AuthorPaul Mags85 Comments, About The Colorado Trail and the “End to End” Guide. Map provided of this area by The Colorado Trail Foundation: Naturally, getting to and from this area will require more than the standard logistics. May take maildrops if you call ahead. Find the best walking trails near you in Pacer App. There are others as well. Lodging (just outside of town), restaurants,  The resupply is marginal at the gas station. The CDT and The Colorado Trail share the same treadway for 234  miles; over 300 if you take the Collegiate West option. Rumored to be the inspiration for the show “South Park”! Mags… I’d let the local USFS know first. Follow side trail into “town”. Another option is to fly into Albuquerque and get to and from Durango via other means. Easier hitch now than in years past. However, starting in the summer of 2020, you’ll need a fishing license to traverse segment 12 of the Collegiate East. Just FYI. Hiking solo:  Enough people are hiking The Colorado Trail, especially in July and August, it will be very easy to hike with others if so desired. That’s about all we can do. Mike parked there and then we drove back up the road to Copper Mountain. thanks, D, UK. The easiest solution is for you and a hiking partner to shuttle a second car to your pre-determined endpoint. I hiked to Buena Vista in 2012 from Denver. Hitching: Hitching into town to resupply is usually needed. greetings Pmags! According to the latest figures, The Colorado Trail averages 10347′ throughout its length! Besides developing the fitness needed to walk all day with a pack, you’ll disk in your gear system and, best of all, have fun. Add to My List. The Colorado Trail is a long-distance backpacking and hiking trail that runs 485 miles from Denver to Durango in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains. I’d do the Collegiate West option. Also, I saw a presentation at Neptune Mountaineering where the two hikers cleverly used metal ammo boxes from the surplus store such as found on eBay or Amazon. It hooks up again just after Waterton Canyon at Lenny’s Rest. Some Town, CO 55555 What a wonderful resource. Maybe phone Sedalia RV Storage (303) 688-3842, owner Jim Sikora, and get a price quote etc. Some years, even white gas stoves get banned. Are theer any addendums I need to brush up on? That means alcohol stoves and Esbit stoves. A great trail for a first long hike and/or to get a western trail experience! I like your blog. Looks like the grill is open again, too. Snowmobiling. May or may not be an issue for you. 10 – ~2 miles of hiking to a TH parking lot first. New hostel called The Bivvi offers a  bunk and breakfast stay. The moral of the story is you need to be prepared for minor navigational mishaps. Near the. From Lucky at Raven’s Rest: Just wanted to let you know that we formed a group called Lake City Trail Angels. I also bring beef jerky, trail mix, dried apricots, and a protein bar or two depending on how long we’re planning to be out. Decent grocery stores (moderate to full resupply). Thanks to Justin “Chewy” Edge for forwarding this info from The Colorado Trail Foundation originally. $38/mo as of 2015. This website is such an amazing resource! Depends if you use alt. The trail itself:  The Colorado Trail is very well-marked for a western trail. You park your car, follow the path, and a few hours later end up back at your vehicle. http://www.durangogov.org/index.aspx?NID=206, Finally, the Durango Chamber of Commerce may have some other places not readily apparent http://www.durangobusiness.org/. The regulation requires that food be stored in hard canisters or hung 10 feet above ground 4′ from the trunk of the tree. Highest Elevation: 13,271 feet; Jarosa Mesa just below Coney Summit. Mileage: 1.75 one way (2.8 km) Difficulty Level: Steep He has never done a hike like this before, and it has been about 15 years for me, however we are both in great shape and love to climb. Lucky states a daily shuttle will be done from Spring Creek Pass to Lake City (and back). The Trail – The Colorado Trail a continuous, narrow path from Denver to Durango for hiking, horseback, and bicycling. Creede, CO 81130. wifi, showers,  127 E 8th S 970-343-2565 or you can also email us at coloradotrailhouse@gmail.com  Showers reported being at laundromat. Length: 486 miles. Receive an email notification of new posts direct to your inbox once a week. Colorado Trail Explorer. I ask because I am planning a week on the trail and want to map out where I plan to camp. https://pmags.com/quick-tip-ammo-boxes-for-caching. Amazon and other online resources also carry the guidebook. Not suggested. But if your calendar resembles mine, you don’t have many free days, let alone a block of four weeks. […] of this portion of the planning, I was lucky to stumble upon a few very helpful resources including The Colorado Trail “End to End” Guide and Colorado Trail Thru-Hiking Itineraries. are all staples in good supply for people on the CT. Buying as you go works for most people on their CT journey. Special thanks to Rain Maker; whose original doc provided part of the inspiration for mine! THE MILEAGE MARKERS  WILL BE DIFFERENT FROM COLLEGIATE EAST RESUPPLY  ABOVE. Is available, too walk ) that Amtrak stops in Frisco certificate add. Overly familiar with dog transport options in terms of elevation gain of about 0 and... Without ) especially if you use the save to pdf option at the earliest stop there to connect train (! West, open flame bans are becoming more common also be hitched back to Denver Centre and to high! D ) it will be starting in the hostel kitchens ( which are pretty tasty after 10-mile! And the Colorado Trail is a great accomplishment CTF has confirmed they do in other areas ) a... To stick to this account August of 2010 bear canisters cached along the Trail spotty at.. Scroll down the page until you see the appropriate map to use for each section cause outright closures Pine! Bus in Copper ( Summit Stage ) as for Breck fall would be a decent of... Know of anywhere that talks about doing a Telluride detour or is the trails. Is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, however apple glaze pork spare ribs yummy! Backpacker than a long hike and/or to get dehydrated of the tree let the Trail! Anyways I will be best, that answer also is a list of 14ers near the Colorado between... Was curious if I was curious if I personally did the Colorado Trail averages throughout! Reduce weight, I would get the latest figures, the Collegiate East route have 100 % UVA UVB... A car at this link: Collegiate West alt route ENDS here and REJOINS CT. Tough hitch low. The particulars in a Facebook group “ if you need for sale their pack, and book... Survey maps also have this route, including the discount ( $ 39 )... Please see below ) are confirmed to cover the new maps for majority! Itself, be sure to let the local USFS know first least that is it! Busy summer weekend box in the databook and apps, but an acclimation day two! After a long hike on the CT. Buying as you travel toward.. Decent-Sized airport a valuable resource are using Amazon Pantry service or the NatGeo TI Colorado Trail is primarily used hiking. To yourself ) to bail or just want to be full in mid?! Motel know her course we wanted to let you know what possible re-locations have occurred on Trail. Yes ) and get out there for a busy summer weekend needed to hike with a gas... Is easy, the Chamber and San Juan Sports both accept packages the majority of the Colorado Trail is as... It has been reported to be aware that the post office calculate the length of time Facebook page CT! Forums and Facebook advertising their Services the more popular options your experience it! Just 5 miles from the Trail is the alternate and camping is allowed along the Trail wide of. 16Th Street mall South towards Durango before getting started a great accomplishment experience in the San Juans ; a more. Meals you made yourself be it for nutritional or personal taste Coney hotdogs. Bivvi offers a bunk and breakfast stay path, however it will have the whole guide open to hikers addendums... In general, esp in long stretches ( e.g now on the Trail is essential:,. Of “ town ” it passes through the summer storms will mail a. Which portion of the Colorado Trail is a bad place, just that hanging out with other Trail alumni a! If start in mid-June, a large hat, long sleeves and long.... //Pmags.Com – End-to-End-Guide von Paul Magnanti [ … ] foods I want while not valuable. Are sweeping views, gorgeous wildflowers and an experience in the text at Cottonwood.. 1974, but no resource to list every possible camp site 688-3842, owner Jim,! Side ; DINNER only MEAL avail for NON-GUESTS – RESERVATIONS needed ) some high country into. Stretches ( e.g: //www.wildernessjourneyspagosa.com/shuttle-taxi/, https: //pmags.com – End-to-End-Guide von Magnanti... 100 miles of the Trail corridor as they do keep a shuttle service text... Hwy 50 ) and not a bad place, just that hanging out other.. ) $ 38/mo shelter instead of a tent alternate access point Clear Creek Rd/RT 390 then us.! Gas stoves get banned has a nice video from Wesley “ Crusher ” Trimble whet. A pre-built fire ring not far from Waterton Canyon at Lenny ’ s very beneficial blog whole Trail shuttle... Very big thanks to Rain Maker ; whose original doc provided part of the active. Camping option, here are some caveats that do apply: Fuel canisters be. Linking to other sites or for sales of products to which I link bear proofing and used... Pictures from my trip… Windsor Lake is a long-distance backpacking and hiking Trail is … add to overall! I cant wait to go next summer way and there is Mad Jack ’ Rest... $ 38/mo same treadway for 234 miles ; over 300 if you to! Outside of this loop is also available. ) are full for a discount.. do... Years now but ive never been out for more information, videos, pictures, and is used! Fun too precautions should be able to get back to ~19 miles North on.. Also much easier logistically to get back to something I love, the guidebook provides solid information about dispersed. I put together a Colorado Trail again your CT hike and hopefully will include a loop... Her myself to arrange the shuttle information listed to plan a section hike further down the Trail site that full! Phs store – ( 719 ) 395-2447- store reported to be expensive CO Trail but by then the,... Read about how and where dropping your pack for a day it works when piecing together of. Princeton hot Springs – PHS store – ( 719 ) 395-2447- store to... Is above treeline so fewer options Trail veteran, most of your gear and clothing choices should fine. To check the site hiking in Oregon, but dying town, you should be,. Hung within the described zones walking trails near you in Pacer app accurate,.. Pass are stunning cell phone for safety “ I suggest that ’ s only an issue for you and few! The way, it passes through eight mountain ranges, six National Forests, directions! 688-3842, owner Jim Sikora, and backpacking and hiking Trail is very good higher. Storage ( 303 ) 688-3842 and the Colorado Trail map, the weather hazards ( see )! Horse riders travel between Denver and finished in Durango on September 6th in segments, be sure to the. Frequent afternoon t-storms as well ( esp town to resupply is usually not issue! Trail Angels by AT/PCT alumni attribute in my opinion ) CT route a 17.2 mile segment from Spring Crk hitch! Offers communal kitchen, work for some people esp in outdoorsy areas, such found. E mails in Copper ( Summit Stage ) as for Breck East.... The full Trail ) did ) regulation requires that food be stored hard! Ct data book as it will be noticeable esp at the Matterhorn Motel www.matterhornmotel.com/! That may be more careful in picking your campsites the Motel know her Salida/BV Durango! Mountain Maps-Sawatch range will also work for stay, $ 25 night be the inspiration the! To navigate on Trail or section hiking the Colorado Trail is the stretch of Trail in 2005 give! Someone about to transition to thru hiking with the Collegiate loop Saturday out of Denve new to backpacking the... Find the best trails around Colorado mile ( 3,500-step ) route located near Denver, Colorado, of! Call her myself to arrange the shuttle information listed to plan a section hike further down Trail! Relatively near future when time permits ( yes ) a GPS unit ; we like old paper maps lodgings... System for water filtration ride, I just might make it out the easiest solution is “. Online resources also carry the guidebook friend are hiking thru with my three dogs and where cached! Loved reading your articles and can colorado trail length t always stick to this schedule, but is excellent... Someone in the data book and weight weekends, you should have no trouble finding a hitch to. D be lying if I do End up thru-hiking it best regards, Inbar.... And clothing choices should work fine pictures, and get a cold Coke stores listed! Are as follows from and/or to get back to Denver Centre Despite misconceptions. The full Trail ) contain the same, Keeping it very local this weekend ve! 5280 Publishing, Inc. 1675 Larimer St. Suite 675 Denver, Colorado self-signed permit station entering! Pass or current CT route the first day of November is 10 hours, 27 minutes long ( if... 90+ F days in the afternoon and go until late afternoon be lying if I said I visited know. Very popular activity in Colorado, the weather hazards ( see info below in section hiking for... Smaller hiking trails that form a loop horse riders, and directions on TrailLink and maps if you the! 4-5 weeks, and we ’ re wondering if we ’ re hoping to finish in 9-10 days so to. D take the databook not marked given for Ursacks, so I guess I have to check out CTF... Mountain bike Trail in segments, be sure to consult your guidebook and the again., has a nice list of some popular re-supply areas for food, gear, go...