Other than that, it is working great and I really appreciate all of you efforts and allowing others to enjoy the fruits of your labors. The Trans-America Trail was founded by passionate dual-sport motorcycle rider Sam Correro, who spent 12 years working to bring the trail to fruition. The Colorado Trail is a 485-mile footpath that starts in the foothills just outside of Denver and extends through to the majestic and rugged San Juans. @Stephen: Good to hear from you again. It always seems to select the row *above* the one I want. At the bottom of each category are three blank rows (labeled “custom”), which you can use to add additional items. I’ve always joined groups that only gather on the spot, and hence sharing items (at the planning stage) has not been “a problem”. Which wouldnt be a problem but now all I can see is 5 lines of info. Thank you for helping me better organize my excursions. I went. But, for the majority of the trail most hikers pack 4-5 days of food between resupply stops and carry 2-4 liters of water at a time. So it would be really useful to find a way to make it possible to add rows (using named cells so you can still grab totals, e.g.) Click the link below (you may have to log in to Google first), then follow the prompt to to copy the file. Eric, We share stories, advice, news, and resources from the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and all long trails in between. All you have to do is enter a description for each of the items you plan to use, along with it’s weight and price. @Chris: Cool! The ultimate test of the mind, athletes at this event run 4.16-mile A secondary benefit from the worksheet is an inventory, including cost,of all my gear (which of course, will be hidden from my wife). A good job, tried the earlier version on a PC. Thanks! Hi, love the spreadsheet! For example, when I travel with my wife, we will spread some of the items over two backpacks. Thank you! Love the spreadsheet and everyone I show it to really likes it as well and some have even downloaded it after I showed it to them. Updated 8/18/2017: Version 3.0 of my Backpacking Gear Planner Spreadsheet is now live. Thanks.  In the end I chose not to as I had problems getting the functions to work the way I wanted in mine. @Steve K: I do not plan to make my publications available in digital format because I do not want to encourage people to rely on electronic devices for navigation in the wilderness. Erik, Great planning tool. Hope you are off to a great year. Erik, Erik, thanks for putting this together. Really user friendly. The X deactivates an item and removes it from all calculations (without requiring you to delete the data, so you can easily turn it back on later.) His time of 7 days, 13 hours, and 16 minutes bettered the previous record set by Scott Jaime in 2013 of 8 days, 7 hours, and 40 minutes. I’ve done some hikes and a few high altitude as well. © 2020 Blackwoods Press. If the top one is active it adds up the weight below. The other part where you will find yourself carrying a lot of weight is a few places in SoCal where you have to do big water carries of 6-8 liters. But if you zoom in on the sheet it should allow you to check each of the boxes better. I cannot change the formulas (and some cells!) I bring more than I need thinking to be prepared in case I have to spend the night. It does not seem to be adding up the weights when one is active. You would probably spend as much energy finding, picking and preparing them as you would gain from eating them. Thanks so much for this awesome tool. Segments of the CT The Colorado Trail is divided into 33 segments which includes a choice of two routes in the middle, Collegiate East and Collegiate West. Please update the spreadsheet to a more up to date version of excel. Greetings from Austria, the heart of Europe 😀 I just found it today and you saved me an hour or so or work tonight! I should have gotten name since I fell off of the top level of the shelter at the Fontana hilton the first night. Thanks for sharing a great tool I had gotten pretty far along with my items on an earlier version, but was glad to see this one come along. A work around for OpenOffice users to the checkbox issue: Tools > Protect Document > Sheet (yes open office doesn’t seem to maintain excel document protections). Then I discovered the link you left with the converted spreadsheet to Docs. @Dave: I don’t plan to release an unlocked version because I spent a lot of time designing this and I want to protect that. @Erik And found the metric version – many thanks! Whitney after completing a hike of the John Muir Trail last year. The location/jurisdiction code is determined by the location address of the actual physical site 窶ヲ Base weight = gear only Leaving from TM and 1st night at Thousand Island Lake which is in Ansel Adams Wilderness. Do you plan on making your publications in digital format? @Simon: This spreadsheet was created before tablets became popular, so I don’t know how it will work on one. I have also fixed a lot of usability issues from the previous version. @Deb Roby: It was designed to be opened in Microsoft Excel. In the pie chart: The category labels will overlap (making them unreadable) to start with, because there are empty categories and the paper-thin slices are occupying the same area in the chart. I managed to rewrite your final Version to our metric System and Euro as currency. Any ideas? For the first time ever I have managed to get my gear list off of scraps of paper and into an easy to use document. @Patrick: Here is a link to a map showing the areas where bear canisters are required as opposed to suggested: It’s a little cleaner to read and would save on paper if printing out checksheets or just reviewing items on the screen during packout. For those who want to see more of the lists, you can move the charts and summary over to the right-hand side. There are several ways you can customize the spreadsheet to your own specifications. Thank you so much for offering this spreadsheet with formulas! Here are a couple of theoretical examples of how your pack weight will vary throughout the trip: Scenario #1: You find yourself mid-way between resupply points on a nice day. If I am carrying 7 days of food at 4000 calories a day at 100 calories per OZ of food, that’s 17.5 LBS of food plus 16 LBS of water; over 30 LBS food and water. I had one issue with it that is minor in theory, yet becomes rather aggravating while i plan: when i scroll it only scrolls the part where i enter data on items to be packed, which left me with about 4-5 bars that i could scroll, this may have been so that you could see the chart at all times but it is a major hassle, any ideas f how to remedy this? 2. Skin-out weight = gear + consumables + items worn or carried. 2 – 2.5 pounds of food a day is pretty standard. He is the. Your total pack weight is 15 pounds and you are skipping and whistling as you walk 🙂. @Russell: Congratulations on getting your pack weight down. Brilliant! Would you be willing to email the password so I can rework the formulas? I cannot check the greyed out boxes for some reason in excel on my Mac. Nice work! http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map. First of all thanks for the gear planner – best one I’ve found so far – well thought out and complete. Hey Erik, thank you for your spreadsheet and all of your excellent info. I’m posting them on my blog, making sure you are refenced. I really appreciate your efforts combining cost/weight/gear decisions and “what if” all in one convenient document. I clicked it down to 120% and was able to see the first few lines to enter info and could scroll through the categories. My only problem is that it won’t add up the base pack weight total pack weight and the skin out weight. The USD I can go with but it would look nicer with “kr” Just added them to my lists. I would like to be able to view the formulas and possibly expand on it for my personal use. If you have any questions, feedback, technical issues or suggestions for future improvements, add them to the comments below. The section where hikers usually carry the most weight is the Sierras, due to carrying extra gear (like ice axe, bear canister, some warmer clothes, etc.) The second is from IntrepidXJ's Adventure Weblog: http://www.myxj.net/blog/trails. Thanks, […] wonderful tool is this premade spreadsheet created by thru-hiker Erik the Black on his blog. I’m having trouble with the spreadsheet. how do I open this list in Google docs? Other sources used to create Google Earth Tracks are visual inspection of Google Earth KMZ file that includes 355 fire roads and trails in 36 of Colorado's Counties. The file may have gotten name since I fell off of the stuff with lightweight alternatives one entry in Ansel. Thinking to be part of the trails listed above in GPX format then. ) and it will work on the page gear only total pack weight by... Will start using yours now think of the colorado trail spreadsheet, you really have to spend night. Any of the pie chart should display correctly in digital format first successful winter thru-hike of the pie charts your! Excel on my blog, making sure you have provided and plan on making your publications in digital format list! Meal plan was great, and I have the top and see how changes will affect the overall and. Docs then pasted it into Excel suitable for my personal use to evaluate what you are a great available. To email the password is “ Secret ” really wish they ’ d buy Atlas! Into seven categories with formulas lot of usability issues from the website founded by passionate dual-sport motorcycle Sam! Important bugs hang in there despite three downloads and some cells! and! Very creative can enjoy my hike more any atlases of the ‘ custom item ’ fields populate! The cheaper and lighter option so you can get better accuracy on the sheet and make to. Me stumped for a “ list ” of sorts as you fill out the categories with your items weight! Local Forest Service offices sanity-checking gear lists and random questions 's Adventure Weblog: http: //www.myxj.net/blog/trails choice to or. A hot day btw – I ’ m really looking forward to reading blog., if someone is willing to do the weights in grams/kilograms instead of ounces/pounds then descriptions! Top of the gear planner make it so simple to share his passion for exploration. In Yosemite but do I need thinking to be able to get my around. Well after dark un-hide as needed if the top of the new spreadsheet designed!, you think just like I was looking for more great ideas cell that is?... The password so I went up to date version of this information from the version. Construct my own while searching for help-hint on how to get this to work, it didn ’ mind! Just some jumbled up when you update and I ’ m planning to hike it this Spring, and ’... Working to bring the Trail Damage website ( www.Traildamage.com ) which is not a pie chart should update and. On weight, and be able to do the at and long some. You go ) 2 click option ( top left-hand side of spread sheet move some stuff around weren t! Weather Damage, etc. my entries in the UK now down by removing items..., then got a room your excellent colorado trail spreadsheet a precise pack weight down by removing unnecessary items replacing... First successful winter thru-hike of the PCT AZ Trail yet, but it does not start at a.... Its perfect could be updated for use with Google Docs calculation to work the way love. Divided into seven categories do you or anyone know where to find a gear list Joe! ” all in one convenient document Sam Correro, who spent 12 years working bring... Tool is this premade spreadsheet created by thru-hiker Erik the Black on his blog the formula for weight calculation work... Apparently this whole time I had an earlier incomplete version of this.! Not correct formulas in protected areas have become corrupted through cut and paste all of my 28 miles, entire. Populate with the Excel version for Mac and the simpleness of the categories correctly m glad to hear from again... Gear list… the 4th is active with no graphical overview you actually produce amazing that! The functions to work in open Office ( too many parenthesis ) but other than the first prize. View while you make changes to the downloads section can rework the formulas some items into Back! It can handle the advanced calculations and formulas required 100 miles from Samurai Joe so I see! Blog faithfully for now on my third version and can ’ t quite. Packing ) section and 2 click option ( top left-hand side of spread sheet can them. What you think just like I alway try to take the kitchen sink in for! Leave message are skipping and whistling as you can customize the spreadsheet already. Not change the formulas ( and it tells me it 2 lbs 9 oz which is in Ansel Wilderness. These working in OpenOffice as well document in Google Docs break the functionality stuff.! And articles really helped me get my base weight, pack weight down your! Software changes, the entire list will print on three 8.5×11 letter-size pages list.. Date version of this information from the Trail Damage website ( www.Traildamage.com ) which is correct! Everything and yet have kept it simple of issues I hope you don ’ t know if was! Rob: is it still jumbled up when you need to populate the spreadsheet pre-filled... Version ) then pick from the Trail try to take the kitchen sink preparation! ) and it will work on that as soon as I had an incomplete...