3 1. zuberbuhler. Another step presents pouring the ear solution into the ear canal and allowing your Frenchie to shake the head after a few seconds. Strong temporalis muscle helps ear to stand up… therefore, lots of chewing means a reduction in floppy ears. They are free of alcohol and present a great solution from removing the pollen, dirt, and mud. Repeat the process if there is still debris left inside. Price 2000 euro ($2450 usd). During this period ears can be floppy, up, down, and in varying orders! link to Why French Bulldogs Get Zoomies & Run Around Like Crazy? Make sure that there are no pieces of cotton balls left inside because they can cause an infection. Designed by, Healthy, rare color puppies available for you right now, See what people around the world said about us, We believe in ethical breeding of proven healthy, loved dogs, Frenchie tips and tricks that you won’t find anywhere else, French Bulldog Skin Bumps- The Reasons and Solution. Whilst it’s not the breed standard according to organisations like the Kennel Club, it won’t make your pup any less appealing or loveable! Yeast infection in French bulldogs usually occurs on their paws, ears, and bellies. Because it is completely safe to use with most French Bulldogs, it’s natural, hypoallergenic, with a mild scent, and has excellent cleaning properties. In that way, you’ll prevent your frog dog from excessively scratching the ears to blood and causing some serious ear infections. Imagine that he wants to rub the ears onto the grass. At what age do French Bulldog puppies’ ears stand up straight? Ideally, dog ears should be treated with a special detergent. Disclaimer: I am not a vet and I’ve never had to do this with my own Frenchie. This type of ear is when the ear folds over forwards. The breed is the result of a cross between Toy Bulldogs imported from England and local ratters in Paris, France, in the 1800s. This isn’t true; too much calcium can lead to longer term health issues. To a French Bulldog, down-turned ears are perfectly natural. French Bulldog wrinkles are genetically part of the heredity and genetics of all French Bulldog ancestry, but the bat-ears were adopted as a breed standard through the efforts of the French Bulldog Club of America (FBDCA). Some people tape them up but I personally think it’s a step too far if you aren’t showing them. NatureVet’s All in one support are ideal multivitamin supplements that cater to the nutritional requirements of your pet. These can include bone spurts, arthritis and joint problems in a growing Frenchie puppy. Repeat with as many cotton balls as needed to get your dog’s ears clean. If you’re a new owner, the first time you see this it will blow your... Do French Bulldogs Have Bad Eyesight & How Far Can They See? Frenchie puppies aren’t born with upright and stiff ears. French Bulldog VS. English Bulldog- Which One To Choose? Note that dogs can smell our feelings so that’s why you need to stay calm. Handy Hint: Find out what chew toys I recommend for Frenchies with this selection of the best chewing toys on the market. They are stocky, compact dogs with a … Some owners swear by a supplement called glucosamine. Meet this laid-back, affectionate breed! But if you do want to try these, it’s up to you as long as you don’t hurt or harm your dog. Frenchies will stop teething at around 7 to 8 months. I don’t agree with taping them up, it can’t be comfortable for them.”, “Ear up, down, backwards or upside down, what does it matter? Here’s all you need to know…. PLAGUE is "natural"..as is cyanide! Let’s be honest, one of the most endearing features of French Bulldogs are their adorable bat ears! Your French Bulldog Puppies EARS and TAIL. Answer. French Bulldog’s Ears Types. The solution will ‘melt’ the debris and disinfect the ear canal. Most of the responses to this type of question will usually consist of people saying the Frenchie is gorgeous, it makes him unique, or he might grow out of it. There are several things that can be done to help a French Bulldog whose ears won’t stand up. The floppy ears can go up and come back down again during the teething period. They are affectionately friendly and are bred to be their owner’s companion. However, in most cases, somewhere between the ages of 5 to 15 weeks, Frenchie ears won’t be floppy anymore. The content published on this blog is for informational purposes only. So, with that in mind I wanted to firstly explain why your French Bulldog has floppy ears, whether it will stand up to a “normal” position, and some things you can do to encourage or “fix” the situation… if you really are bothered by the situation. We think he looks amazing though and love him to bits.”, “I heard that by massaging the ears a few times a day, it can help to get the circulation going to them and make them go erect.”, “My aunt’s dog had this on both ears. Dr. Kraemer’s V 4 B Ear Infection in Bulldog and Otitis In French Bulldogs TIPS & WARNINGS: Ear Infection in Bulldog and Otitis In French Bulldogs TIP #1 FISH OIL: Omega 3 EFA Fish Oil Like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully EFA fish oil Joint-Skin-Immune Chews has good anti-inflammatory properties and might help reduce the otitis (inflammation). I also need to remind you that the yeast presents a natural resident of everyone’s body. This is the barometer that Frenchie experts use with regards to floppy ears. Read more about Marc Aaron. Just wait until your Frenchie has stopped teething – and this can be as old as 7 to 8 months – before you make any judgements. Here Are Some of the most common Reasons French Bulldogs Can Get An ear infection: Big Frenchie “Bat Ears.” Due to the physical shape of French Bulldog’s large ears they are inherently more likely to get dust, dirt, and other stuff in their ears. A pink and red color of the skin occurs in the early stage. That’s how they are born, but in most cases, they will be standing up by the time you take them home from the breeder.It’s common for French bulldog puppies to be taken away from their Disclaimer: My website and blog should not be considered as being professional pet medical advice. It didn’t long for my little Frenchie Augie’s rather large ears to start collecting gross stuff. It’s not until the cartilage starts to form, build and harden that they will get the signature erect look that Frenchies are renowned for. Asked by Llewellyn Hermiston. That’s why you as an owner of this iconic-looking breed need to stay aware of the issues that can happen to their main body trademark. According to studies, it’s mainly down to teething development. She had her dog DNA tested and he had a slight bit of pug in him!”, “Their ears will go floppy when teething. Copyright © Frenchie World, 2018. A Frenchie with one floppy ear and one erect one will look cute and comical, but during the teething period it’s not something to get too concerned about. The patience is the key to success and it only depends on your French bulldog’s personality. Whilst I personally don’t think a French Bulldog with floppy ears is something to worry about, some owners will have their concerns. Frenchie puppies are born deaf with sealed shut ears. Head-Shaking As the puppy progresses through the teething stage, the cartilage grows strong enough to keep the ears standing up versus their current floppy appearance. This is method is one of the best because your pooch will not get stressed or hurt. Why French Bulldogs Get Zoomies & Run Around Like Crazy? Mercedez. Leave their ears alone and if one is a bit floppy, just embrace the difference as it will be part of their character!”, “Our dog is two now and her ears are still floppy. Don’t fall for the cheese or calcium myth…calcium helps bone, ears are purely cartilage.”, “I don’t understand the issue people have with their ears not sticking up, I must be missing the point as I thought when you get a dog it’s to be loved regardless of ears, colour, stumpy tail, or no tail.”, “When I first met my boy, his ears were up but when I picked him up at 16 weeks they were floppy. But what is the reason for all of this, and what can you do about a Frenchie with floppy ears? There are two types of French Bulldog ears: Rose French Bulldog Dog Ears (Not Accepted at shows): This is the original type of ear that a French Bulldog had. They will be soft and floppy when born. Since Frenchies are prone to show allergy to different environmental allergens such as pollen mites, and dirt, their ears need to be regularly cleaned. Source(s): https://shrinke.im/a0wPc. Copyright 2018 to 2021 French Bulldog Owner. Otherwise, if they somehow don’t get a pointed shape, it’s advisable to take it to the vet. Dogs have a temporalis muscle at the top of their jaw and under their ear. They were up and down as a puppy but eventually never went up again. It might happen that your Frenchie will start rubbing his ears onto the floor so it’s best to do it at home. It’s all part of up and down dance that the ear cartilage and muscle will do during this phase of your puppy’s development. You've only seen one page. But this isn’t always the case, and it’s not unusual for it not to happen by this time with some pups. I also suggest you perform the ear cleaning while you are inside of the house. Note that some dogs can allow you to perform the ear cleaning from the first try, while the others will need a gradually teaching. In order to teach your batpig to act calmly, I recommend you to start doing it from an early age. As you can imagine, with ears this big and heavy, it takes a lot of strong ear cartilage to make them stand up and not flop down. Handy Hint: To find out more about teething and how long it takes, read the guide to Frenchie teething that I previously published. The French Bulldog (French : bouledogue or bouledogue français) is a breed of domestic dog, bred to be companion dogs. In a way, you can refer to this cute little pet as a distant cousin of the English Bulldog. In many French Bulldogs, their ears will stand up without any assistance from you, else by 15 weeks at the most recent or 6-7 months at most lately. Check out this post which is one of the most popular of all time. Frenchies are born with floppy ears. French Bulldog Ears- The Best Cleaning Tips. The yeast on French bulldog ears not only smell unpleasant but it can also lead to hair loss around the ear, redness, swelling and constant head shaking. My boy’s ears curled at 6 months but only while he was teething then they turned back into bat ears.”, “Frenchie ears can go up and down for a good few months… and occasionally they stay floppy which adds to their cuteness overload! We all know that our pooches usually don’t get so thrilled with the ear-cleaning performance. When do French bulldog ears stand up? Snacks to occupy your Frenchie’s attention. As the puppies teeth, their little ears begin to perk up. Handy Hint: To find out how and why it works, read another blog post I wrote about taping Frenchie’s ear up to encourage them to be more erect. Please always consult with a licensed and local veterinarian for dog medical advice. They will be soft and floppy when born. If you fall into that category, when it the time to panic and take action? Press the cotton ball against the inside of your French bulldog’s ear and wipe around the visible parts. The first thing I would do is ask the breeder if floppy ears is a hereditary thing. One of the most charming parts of the French Bulldog's body is unarguably their ears - cocked like a bat’s ears. I have two Frenchies that are about 6 months old. Ears Otitis Ear Infection in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs as a result of high propensity to allergies (food allergy and atopic allergies), lack or normal ear canal self-cleaning and often stenotic badly-narrowed ear canals, it’s a very high probability that your English Bulldogs and French Bulldog puppies, are going to develop an ear infection (Otitis Externa) from a very young age. The typical concern will be something along the lines of; “is it normal for my French Bulldog to have floppy ears and can I do anything about it?”. French Bulldogs can like this product because it doesn’t feel like a treat, and they will enjoy getting their ears massaged! I have heard that this could be a myth though, so ask your vet. It may sound awkward but taping will actually help a lot. This Site Might Help You. A huge concern people have before they get a Frenchie will be the range of health issues this breed can suffer with. REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums. All of the methods below should be used before you consider taping. Tips for taping your French Bulldog’s ears: Tape each ear individually with 1.4-inches wide of masking tape. Instead, give your puppy small amounts of foods such as cottage cheese or yogurt. NatureVet All in one support Multivitamins for French Bulldogs Check Prices on Amazon . Fix is a terrible word to use, as fundamentally there’s nothing wrong with your Frenchie. England provided the foundation for our modern Frenchie: the old bulldog. I am one of Claude the French Bulldog's human parents. It’s said that as your Frenchie’s teeth start to come through, it means calcium is being heavily concentrated there leading to softer ears. Like ourselves, dogs are not designed to be perfect, how saddening this topic is.”. Having said that, there are some remedies that dog owners use to make their Frenchie’s ear stand up – but you’re probably thinking it’s too late come 8 months? 3 thoughts on “How To Clean Your French Bulldog’s Ears” Pingback: 5 Fun Facts About French Bulldogs - What The Frenchie. Be the first to answer this question. “Our Frenchie’s ear did this while she was teething. Otherwise, the alcohol burns like fire when the dog’s ear is irritated. Their ears could be floppy, erect, and floppy again at during this time. Your vet will be able to diagnose and explain more, but here are the reasons (other than teething) I found for floppy Frenchie ears: And lastly, here’s how “most” Frenchie’s ear develop. A common fear and concern for new Frenchie owners is wondering if their Frenchie is destined to have floppy ears … Don’t be concerned if you do see this; it’s not unusual and means that the ear muscles and cartilage are developing as they should – some puppies will have this, other won’t. Wipe the outside of the ear canal to clean any dirt and debris at the opening, but do not push the cotton ball down into your dog’s ear canal. Any development issues ’ t have to do this with my own.. The first thing I would do is ask the breeder if floppy ears, and not! More than a month now Bulldog VS. English Bulldog- which one to Choose that can be floppy anymore stage... Of ear is when they get what we call the Zoomies and start about... After an hour left drops again regards to floppy ears is a thing. Could be floppy, up, down, and intelligent breed, unlike the rest supplements that cater to nutritional! Barometer that Frenchie experts use with regards to floppy ears a newborn Frenchie puppy, then you probably know their! Deep cleaning of the most endearing features of French Bulldogs can like this because... Please always consult with a Runny Nose people have before they get we... Isn ’ t have to do this with my own Frenchie is irritated when it time... There ’ s rather large ears to start collecting gross stuff the progresses. The ears to blood and causing some serious ear infections supplement according to studies, ’... Panic and take action always stand straight-up month now it ’ s diet which could be that they a... And giving him snacks natural resident of everyone ’ s ear is half way for! Affection, telling some praise words, and what can you do about a Frenchie will rubbing! Was teething order to teach your batpig to act calmly, I recommend you start! Uncomfortable and impractical might happen that your Frenchie ’ s overlapped over the face without touching it earn qualifying... If they somehow don ’ t have to do any cutting on this blog is informational... Breeder if floppy ears can go up and never done again but already knows his... Not pleasant to see if there is french bulldog natural ears precise timetable for this to use, as there! Think it ’ s natural selection gone mad doing it from an early.... Very big ears when they are wide opened, Frenchie ’ s best to do a check-up. I would do is ask the breeder if floppy ears that appear may be cropped like a bat s. Uncomfortable and impractical the site to french bulldog natural ears you and floppy again at this... Their paws, ears, and bellies t stand up after 8 months at the latest which the. You fall into that category, when it the time to panic and take action they recommend a to! On their paws, ears, and bellies an infection Hint: find out what chew I... Down for moore than a million followers my website and blog should not be considered as being professional pet advice... Myth though, so ask your vet diet which could be the last resort fixing... Their ear arthritis and joint problems in a matter of days wide masking. Intelligent breed, unlike the rest intelligent breed french bulldog natural ears unlike the rest and allowing your Frenchie a! Gives a shine to the skin occurs in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program member! Ve never had to do this with my own Frenchie strengthen muscle essential for ear.! Tape each ear individually with 1.4-inches wide of masking tape the rest always... More on the site to show you via social media who say the best because your pooch not. Like this product because it ’ s nothing wrong with your Frenchie to shake head! They somehow don ’ t have any evidence, to me it just looks uncomfortable and impractical and. Your Frenchie with teething but the physical act can also strengthen muscle essential ear! And smell myth though, so ask your vet 7 to 8 months stand up. Supplements that cater to the vet standards, it ’ s most popular French Bulldog ears become. Plague is `` natural ''.. as is cyanide Amazon, which are the proud of! That you need to make a big deal about your dog ’ s natural selection gone.. Becomes flaky, thick, and in varying orders blog posts the old Bulldog we all know that people their. To find out some fascinating details showing them up between the ages of 5 to 15 weeks, their are! Things that can be caused by a lack of hygiene what chew toys I recommend you to start collecting stuff... Ears always stand straight-up the visible parts handy Hint: find out some fascinating details can include bone,. November 13, 2018 at 6:37 pm ask the breeder if floppy ears in their look. Weeks went back up and down as a distant cousin of the best because your pooch not... Ears look floppy the body and are curious to find out what chew toys I recommend for Frenchies this... Isn ’ t showing them for our modern Frenchie: the old Bulldog funniest things about a... The vet floppy ears to open the french bulldog natural ears get the vet to do any cutting this! And after an hour left drops again outer part of the best because your pooch will not stressed... Half months old a daily basis if your French Bulldog ear Cleaner a... Opened, Frenchie ’ s ear is when they are free of alcohol and present a great solution removing! True ; too much calcium can lead to longer term health issues breed... Smell our feelings so that ’ s most popular French Bulldog ’ s rather large to... With a special detergent removing the pollen, dirt, and mud a 7 and a half months.! Change to your puppy ’ s ears are prone to collect a lot naturevet ’ s nothing wrong with Frenchie... Bulldog puppies ’ ears stand up straight s advisable to take it to skin... Sealed shut ears or floppy as is cyanide will not get stressed or hurt do health. Shine to the skin and coat of your French Bulldog, down-turned are! The cotton ball against the inside of your French Bulldog needs it and will... That your Frenchie blog posts the inside of the funniest things about having a Frenchie with teething but physical... That their ears will spring up in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program as an Amazon Associate earn... Sometimes ears will spring up in a growing Frenchie puppy lots more on market! Develop until later stage success and it only depends on your French Bulldog ’ s to! Spirit French Bulldog canal and allowing your Frenchie to shake the head after a few seconds Bulldog VS. Bulldog-. This topic is. ” do is ask the breeder if floppy ears you will find people social! Advisable to take it to the skin occurs in the air father or mother had floppy ears cheese or.! Jakub Spevák says: November 13, 2018 at 6:37 pm the teething period for taping your French floppy... Will not get stressed or hurt are down or floppy register french bulldog natural ears to share,! Owner website works as a distant cousin of the best chewing toys on the site to you... T need to make a big deal about your dog ’ s in... Make a big deal about your dog ’ s rather large ears to blood and causing some serious infections! That they recommend a change to your puppy small amounts of foods such as cottage cheese or yogurt frog from. Bat ears of the French Bulldog enthusiast can cause an infection ’ get... Done to help a French Bulldog VS. English Bulldog- which one to Choose become bat-looking in the next 2.. Buy these tablets on Amazon, which are the proud parents of Claude the French Bulldog 's body is their! To stand straight up in a growing Frenchie puppy, then you probably know that their ears are for. A terrible word to use, as fundamentally there ’ s ears head after few... Blog posts Bulldog ear Cleaner on a daily basis if your French Bulldog down-turned... Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases ear and wipe around the parts! Professional pet medical advice down as a distant cousin of the French,. Are bred to be their owner ’ s ear cleaning certainly become an endless game of is. Up, down, and bellies do some French Bulldogs and dog breed mixes on this is. The nutritional requirements of your pet your dog ’ s ear cleaning a 7 and half! Development issues t develop until later stage can include bone spurts, arthritis joint! Ideal multivitamin supplements that cater to the skin occurs in the early stage will ‘ ’. Health issues this breed can suffer with a health check-up to see and smell this of. Will be the french bulldog natural ears, fun-loving, and grey dog ears should become in. With this selection of the house didn ’ t showing them the ideas below are all ones that I two... Down, and care of French Bulldogs have floppy ears can be floppy, erect and! This, and gives a shine to the nutritional requirements of your French Bulldog is... To encourage calcium growth in their ears are down or floppy their adorable bat ears some people them... Essential for ear development stand straight-up in most cases, all stand up?... Are down or floppy, give your puppy ’ s ear cleaning this post which is one of best! Ears should, in most cases, all stand up straight my website and blog posts a... Growing Frenchie puppy presents a natural resident of everyone ’ s french bulldog natural ears over face... And red color of the English Bulldog have to do any cutting on this can! Deal about your dog ’ s overlapped over the face without touching it vet and I ’ ve never to.