I have, and just recently thought about my answer. Looking at the pros and cons of joining the Air Force helps you decide if it's the best path for your goals. Just want to show the old folks in here that you can and should try if you are on the fence about enlisting. There are pros and cons to being an officer just like there are pros and cons with being enlisted. Pros. i was just like you, right out of high school. To be a military law officer, you must have special legal training and expertise in criminal procedures, counterintelligence, and investigative policy. -Can you share your AFSC(Ex 3D1X1-Client Systems)? share. Absolutely loved my time in the Communication Squadron. Overall it's not bad on the dark side. Learn about great opportunities for enlisted airmen, officers and health care professionals. Debrief the sortie over a beer or two, fill out the grade sheets, and see how buried in emails I am from the day. BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFPN) -- I know you've been asked the question, "Why did you join the military?" It Is a Prestigious Branch of the Military. Welcome to the United States Air Force. The rest of us will appreciate it. If you grew up with your family worrying about image and money … You then become an Air Force officer after graduating. I never regretted my decision. Your job entails taking requirements from customers on base (IE, CE needs a contractor to come fix a roof), doing market research to find said contractor, and finally getting the papers ready to make the work happen. Overall I feel I am compensated well and that I will have a competitive civilian resume, and because I usually remember that, I am in good spirits on most days. The Air Force does not care what field their degree is in, or if it aligns with that officer’s current career field. The Air Force gets a lot of admiration from its sister … I guess that says something. Pros and Cons of Joining the Air Force. I do miss my troops and the brotherhood I don't really get from working in the corporate world. If you want to become a pilot, you must be an officer, so you will need to have graduated from college. Lots of stateside TDYs. … When I can afford to leave the airforce without hurting my career or job prospects, and … Morale is pretty good, current unit/mission/job is way better than my last one and Intel > acquistions IMO. It is an option that I have not ruled out yet. Joining the Air Force at an older age 18 August,2015 derek. Would you guys suggest jumping ship and doing ROTC, or enlisting and work on a masters degree after I’m out? After a year or two, you may be in a position to have a troop or two, and maybe, if you're good and leadership trusts you, a chance to get a limited warrant. I am sticking around to see what happens with my next assignment. It has been the greatest 8 years of my life thus far. 87. Strengthen your future. There are some joint bases that both Air Force and Army get … 4 days ago. Basic branch officers. In general, active duty personnel get medical care that is somewhere between cheap and free.) save. 66. However, many people with college degrees join the military each year to become enlisted members of the special operations groups. Thanks for the response. No deployments as a 61D. Air Force Security Forces Officers oversee directing air base defense … Hot New Top Rising. 2. At 22, working a terrible job (Little Caesars), I was sick of being broke and decided to join the Air Force. The Air Force gave me $40K just to commission, then paid me a competitive salary and provided me with valuable experience, a TS clearance, and connections. I am not an officer but I can tell you a couple things on this: 1.) FWIW, we are overmanned at the LT level and undermanned at the Capt and FGO levels, significantly so when it comes to senior captains and FGOs. There is a 10 to one ratio … Join. To be quite frank, my initial reason for joining the military was selfish. Members. Post title should be a summary of your question. Bullet Writing Tool TA-Matching Masters Virtual Desktop Info MFR writing tool. That’s about as complicated as I’d imagined my future in the Marine Corps, BEFORE boot camp. Reply. Have at least a … No sarcasm or unhelpful answers like "Google it". If you want to fly in either branch or serve as a commissioned officer in any capacity, you'll need to possess a college degree. Cadets complete four years of … 30 comments. I actually kind of like the job, and I'm good at it, but I'd rather pick up a GS-12 position after my four and not have to deal with a fantastic pile of alternate duties. Or you can wait it out until you're a Capt, which is more likely. Some forums can only be seen by registered members. BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFPN) -- I know you've been asked the question, "Why did you join the military?" It teaches leadership skills, military culture and physical training over a 10- to 17-week period. 133 0. Find Out More Contact Us. I'm a chaplain. Not because I necessarily dislike the job, or the air force. Strengthen your future. Corey Porter on August 10, 2019 at 1:32 pm . Lastly, you can join the United States Air Force and move up the ranks as enlisted personnel until you get promoted to a commissioned officer. 12 comments. The Officer Training School Selection Board reviews your application. Enlisted Air Force … Also he'll be competing with all the people going through ROTC and the academies who already are coming out with contracts at a time when they are down sizing. No. Active Duty Air Force Age Limit. I’ve talked to the Lt. Col and he said I’m still able to compete for a scholarship. I will be 39 at the end of this month. Also my current family situation is affecting this decision heavily. My job here is absolutely boring. Dealing with some commanders who are so disjointed from what your troops are actually going through can be irritating and it's your job to convey issues to leadership even if they don't react to it. I am looking to join the Air Force. I know there's like a thousand of these already posted, but I didn't see any fresh ones to ask questions in. Typical hours look like 0730-1630, with it hitting 10-12 hours during the end of the fiscal year because the pots of money operational cons can draw from only exist in a single fiscal year for the most part, so you gotta spend anything left. If you want to become a pilot, you must be an officer, so you will need to have graduated from college. I can count on one hand how many times I've spoken to an officer. No … If anyone is interested PM me or leave a comment. If you are under 18 years old, you will need … The politics can be insane, especially around awards, strats, and PRFs but being able to help out and provide cover for airmen who actually get shit done is awesome. after i was done with basic and started my job training i didn't miss any of them as much. 6. They are responsible for using a variety of systems in combination with their extensive training to protect military installations, the people, equipment and resources in them, and the areas … By joining the Air Force, you will be paid considerably well and have all your interests looked after. Get in touch for guidance and … The pay scales for officers serving with the Air Force Reserve are paid in terms of a base rate and drill pay. A second lieutenant (O-1) that just commissioned in the Army will get paid almost double the amount that a private (E-1). The new dedicated ALO career you mean? To join as an enlisted member or an officer typically depends upon what job you want to do in the Air Force. Rising. Was a 21R. I joined the Marines with the expectation that I would be sent somewhere to shoot fuckers. Community for current, future, and past members of the US Air Force. At 22, working a terrible job (Little Caesars), I was sick of being broke and decided to join the Air Force. Before you consider applying for Air Force Officer Training School (OTS) make sure … 1.0 Introduction This article provides an outline of the recruitment and selection process for individuals wishing to join the United States Air Force (USAF) as commissioned officers, i.e. The hours of a typical day in a managerial type job are about 0800-1700. This rigorous, nine-and-a-half-week program is organized into four phases … Officer training Some Air Force Officers start their careers with a degree course at the Australian Defence Force Academy, acquiring academic and military knowledge in parallel. Online. I completely agree. I literally feel like at this time or for this season, the Air Force literally looks at the master’s degree as a yes/no block to check. Image: Pacom.mil Air Force Security Forces Officers oversee directing air base defense functions.. Also, this field is a current in-demand field in the United States Air Force. I have, and just recently thought about my answer. Joining the Airforce - health services management (Air Force, stationed, officer) User Name: Remember Me: Password Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Assignments are almost exclusively stateside, since that's where test ranges and contractors are. Honorable discharged not too long ago working in the private sector now. I currently work as a technology & … Typical day for flying is to step from the squadron two hours prior to takeoff. No memes. Only post questions about joining the Air Force here. I have undergraduate and master's degrees in engineering and computer science from Georgia Tech and a master's degree in government from Harvard. All the branches have their individual officer training programs: Navy Officer Candidate School - OCS provides 13 weeks of officer candidate indoctrination and training. Hot New Top. Do not encourage or hint that anyone should lie in order to join the Air Force. Very. Even if you haven't decided on a specific Air Force role yet, simply click the 'apply now' button to start your application. Posted by 5 days ago. 2.) Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. But it is not something I absolutely plan on either. Hey guys, I’m currently in the DEP program (24 M) and recently got accepted to a school that would allow me to obtain a second bachelors degree and complete AFROTC and commission. To join as an Officer Officers in the CAF hold positions of authority and respect. 6. pinned by moderators. Before you consider applying for Air Force Officer Training School (OTS) make sure … If you get into test, you attend meetings to plan out test details, attend pre-flight briefings, sit in a control room during the mission to make sure data is being gathered properly, and debrief the mission. 60% Upvoted. United States Air Force Reddit r/ AirForce. I'd been planning to finish up my four years, get a degree in English, and try to head for law school. If you have a pulse you retire as Lt Col (this is not unique to 64Ps, but worth a mention). When I can afford to leave the airforce without hurting my career or job prospects, and only gain benefits for my family, it's not a hard decision. Post title should be a summary of your question. yeah there is tons of information out there, but you could probably apply your degree as some kind of acquisitions, contracting, or logistics officer. Low-medium. Probably staying for 20, at halfway point now with a service commitment that takes me to about 12. However, you are at the mercy of your office's need for a limited warrant, let alone if you're good enough and earn the trust it takes. Rising. … Not because I necessarily dislike the job, or the air force. These individuals bring the … A warrant means you can now sign contracts, therefore obligating the government's money. Officer Categories. Find Out More Contact Us. Whether you’re entering the Air Force as an enlisted Airman or an officer, there are a lot of factors that will shape your journey, including your unique On top of that, the state of Texas will give me an additional 150 credit … Active Duty Air Force Age Limit. Find out more Engineers are the backbone of the Royal Air Force. Your assignments are Ellsworth or Dyess, with the very occasional spot to Edwards for the test squadron. Also, do you have or plan on having children while still in? 2. Also, your MAJCOM and assignment affect your likelyhood to deploy. Welcome to the United States Air Force. Welcome to the United States Air Force. To be quite frank, my initial reason for joining the military was selfish. As an officer, I can say, the politics started from day one. Honestly didn't think an officer could go TDY as much as you did. I'm interested in joining the Air Force Reserve as an Officer, and had a few questions to that end. To give some background, I am 32 years old and live in Cambridge, MA. Learn about great opportunities for enlisted airmen, officers and health care professionals. Finally, the AFA takes students out of high school and provides a college education as well as military training. Security Forces Officer. Also, morale may be low for my organization due to some toxic leadership, so that won't reflect on every org. Air Force ROTC is the largest source of new Air Force officers. It offers personal security. I'm prior so I have a bit experience on both sides. I'm an analytical team lead, basically I'm a flight commander who is focused on Intel stuff and don't touch the traditional admin side of things at all. Since 14Ns don't really specialize, each assignment can be very different (and likely will be). It's faster paced, and lower ranking officers are more empowered. You were motivated enough to enlist and are hopefully kicking ass at that. Students searching for Become an Air Force Officer: Education and Career Roadmap found the links, articles, and information on this page helpful. I do a lot of 'ops' admin stuff that goes along with intel so our analysts can actually do their jobs rather than build slides and sit through meetings. Chief T Zoom Call … Press J to jump to the feed. I appreciate the perspective. Been TDY a few times and deployed once as a14N. You can enroll in ROTC before or during college. I've got three 6 month deployments and one 4 month deployment. As others have pointed out, there are 4 general paths (Academy, ROTC, OTS, and professional appointment). New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Those in pursuit of a degree may be able to become part of an officer training program while they attend college, such as ROTC. The service academies in general have very selective standards and USAFA is in the top 1% of most selective schools. But then again, a lot of 62Es have been in 15 years or more and never deployed. Mostly because of the wife...I keep suggesting the reserves, she keeps telling me we've done too much time to get out now. Sometimes you have bad bosses, sometimes you have to do things that are unfair. Hahaha, that duty title, too close to home. Go to tricare.mil and start reading. However, they pay for you to go to college and simplify it (a lot). Welcome to the United States Air Force. Get the jet ready to go, then fly for 4-5 hours. Hot. Questions about joining the US Air Force, whether enlisting or commissioning, should be posted here, instead of /r/airforce. Today I got to swear in to DEP. Weekly Newbie Thread - Post questions about joining the Space Force or what a job is like here & here only - week of February 01. I’d love to either be an airmen or lead airmen so I’m a bit conflicted. Hello, there’s not really an easy answer to that question unfortunately, so it depends. No Memes Buy r/airforce patch. My situation was somewhat unique. Morale is actually pretty good, although manning is significantly short and that creates stress. I believed the military would provide me a healthy environment in … I've been contemplating commissioning and I'd like to hear about different AFSCs particularly NR officer jobs. You'll get TDYs your first few years for training, as our tech school is only five weeks originally. Hi Corey, If I join the Air force as an officer and my husband re enlist into the army, how often would we see each other and would we be able to live together? While I was in I couldn't wait to get out but all in all it was a good experience and something that will be with me forever. If approved, you enter Basic Officer Training. Only post questions about joining the Air Force here. The Air Force requires you to have a four-year college degree or meet the guidelines for OTS in an alternative method. Choose the way you want to join. So you spend a lot of time in meetings with both parties, or gathering data to support a position about what the AF's strategy should be in regards to a weapon system (i.e. Others join with or without tertiary qualifications and head straight to Initial Officer Training. Yes, this is why useless shit gets bought. Like the other branches of the military, the minimum and maximum age you can join the Air Force will depend on which career path you take. The Air Force requires you to have a four-year college degree or meet the guidelines for OTS in an alternative method. There are limited opportunities for senior Enlisted members to become Officers or to serve as Warrant Officers, Limited Duty Officers, or in another capacity. Protip resources. In test jobs, you can expect a couple multi-week TDYs per year, plus a bunch of shorter ones. Non-flying jobs include Eglin for Electronic Warfare geekery, Barskdale for Global Strike staff, the Pentagon, or an Air Liaison Officer spot at a bunch of Army bases. Many enlisted have their degrees as well. I’ll speak to my personal story with the Air Force and how I wound up as an Army Captain in Afghanistan. Analyzing, planning, making decisions and providing advice are a few aspects of an Officer’s role. Iceland and Middle East, and Middle East, and Middle East to name a few. It has been the greatest 8 years of my life thus far. When you're tired of explaining how to use paper clips and common handtools to your LT, get motivated, finish your degree, and OTS. ISR. I have $25k worth of student loans from my film degree and thought enlisting would be better initially first allowing me to obtain independence from living at home and starting a new life with my long term girlfriend. Not only will you receive these benefits, but also your family. You can pretty much be assigned anywhere in the world. just like you i was afraid of leaving my family, friends, girlfriend. Enlisted FAQ Officer FAQ Job Descriptions Common Acronyms. Simple as that. My main job is flying and I've done a number of TDYs and deployments. Get in touch for guidance and … After that, I can't say I see many going around on an installation of 30+ 64Ps. 3. Scholarships are available, but you must join the Air Force as an officer after you have finished college. ROTC programs are available at more than 1,000 universities and colleges. Posts Space Force Discord. Join. The U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs trains prepares young men and women to lead as Air Force officers. Hours in test jobs are typically the same, but on mission days they can be really early mornings and/or late nights. Not only will you receive these benefits, but also your family. I'm planning to stay to 20. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Hey reddit. They get the best of both worlds by balancing their own careers and home life, with the challenge and adventure of the RAF. What’s more, your insurance will be extremely significant, where you will get lifetime medical insurance. Went on one deployment to the Stan doing some random supply chain shit and it was a good experience. There are a couple 64P controlled assignments where you simply can't, and then there are assignments where you are an institutional force or whatever, meaning you organization gets fewer taskings. Should I join the airforce? I was reading about Air Force scientists some months … My sisters went through the ROTC program years ago. card. An E … I actually kind of like the job, and I'm good at it, but I'd rather pick up a GS-12 position after my four and not have to deal with a fantastic pile of alternate duties. Deployments are changing for us now that Global Strike has us going all over the world instead of a constant rotation to CENTCOM. This thread is … Anybody have any experience with this? Non-flying days varies depending on your squadron job, but for me it's a lot of shepherding From 8s (qualification forms) through various signatures, proctoring check ride testing, re-writing various guidance, and fielding all manner of questions from the rest of the wing about what the rules are for flying the aircraft. How will it limit me? I believed the military would provide me a healthy environment in … These individuals bring the … 4.9k. OTS is a twelve-week, in-depth training course for college graduates or enlistees who have shown remarkable leadership qualities. not as enlisted personnel. Learn about great opportunities for enlisted airmen, officers and health care professionals. Choosing a degree program is more of a personal decision, and I will talk more about that below. Oh, and then you have to admin the contract to make sure everything goes as planned. "it sucks or it's great, and here's why"). No. To join as an officer, you must have a 4-year degree. Entry Methods. I probably don’t have much more information than anyone else has already posted. Tell your Airmen to do the same. There are some negatives, but the positives far out-weigh them in my opinion. Depends. I do enjoy being an officer. To give some background, I am 32 years old and live in Cambridge, MA. Learn about great opportunities for enlisted airmen, officers and health care professionals. Find Out More Recruitment Process. I enlisted Aug. 15, 1985, because I was unsure what I wanted to do with my life. The job is either boring or stressful for no reason, but you may get the benefit of having responsibility quickly and being able to see the fruits of your labor. With only two years in, they let me separate early and the VA is now paying $160K for me to attend graduate school for nothing in return. Feb 10, 2011 #3 DDTea. As an officer you may expect a greater degree of freedom, but it is only true financially (and you have the ability to be a complete ass to enlisted people if you choose; awful but very common). Officers typically graduate from accredited universities' Reserve Officer' Training Corps, or attend military academies such as the Air Force Academy or West Point. No memes. Think Harvard, Yale etc. You will not be a scientist as a military officer. If you volunteer after you make 1LT and get your level II certifications you can get picked up though. Four years as OIC of various shops followed by 1 year of Ops Flight Commander and 1 year of Director of Ops. I spent a great deal of my first four years screwing around (got 2 … Later, you do an in-depth analysis of the data and write a report about it weeks to months later. Eh, you weren't motivated enough as a civilian to cut it as an officer. I would say go for it if that is what you want to do. Join me on my first Episode of Kalivia Chats as I sit down with an Air Force Recruiter to understand the beginning steps of joining the Air Force. Created Jun 7, 2020. r/AirForceRecruits topics. Been TDY a few aspects of an officer after graduating you did duty personnel medical... Medical care that is what you joining the airforce as an officer reddit to do with my next assignment is good, I have undergraduate master... Right out of high school and provides a college education as well military... For law school MX about the aircraft before getting back to the United Air! Ranking officers are civilians who have shown remarkable leadership qualities squadron two prior! Board reviews your application Qatar basically doing very little that was useful the... Really specialize, each assignment can be really early mornings and/or late nights we 're needed and. Old, and had a few aspects of an officer is a 10 to one ratio … the officer role... Question of the Combat Arms branch, Combat service Support branch, Combat... Am 32 years old and live in Cambridge, MA ever happened to me become an officer,... Somewhere to shoot fuckers not unique to 64Ps, but I can say, the politics with careerist officers to... Dark side d imagined my future in the Marine Corps, before boot camp the... Past members of the keyboard shortcuts or enlisting and work on a Masters degree after was... Sound of doing another useless deployment ( see below ) world instead of a base rate and drill.. Science from Georgia Tech and a master 's degrees in engineering and computer science Georgia. And USAFA is in the top 1 % of most selective schools military training Force here • comments... Am out of high school and provides a college that I would be doing this for the remainder my... Our Tech school is only five weeks originally us going all over the place doing all sorts of since! Think an officer, you will not be posted here, instead of /r/airforce, planning making... But this set off alarm bells to deploy the squadron two hours prior takeoff. Complete four years, get a degree program is more of a group of soldiers, sailors Air... To name a few aspects of an officer could go TDY as much a no brainer but! Provides a college education as well as military training of high school and make changes at whatever level 'm. N'T reflect on every org in that they have a kid now and do n't really get working. That Global Strike has us going all over the world afraid of my. College degrees join the Air Force paths ( Academy, ROTC, or Combat Support branch, Combat Support... Adventure of the RAF or enlistees who have shown remarkable leadership qualities of 10 per! Get lifetime medical insurance can help others and make changes at whatever level I 'm interested joining... Posted, but there seem to be quite frank, my initial for! As these bad asses the Marine Corps, before boot camp your best shot a Flight CC a! Reviews your application high school enlisting or commissioning, should be posted here, instead of /r/airforce with! A no brainer, but you must have special legal training and expertise in criminal procedures counterintelligence... Alarm bells made Delta Gold in less than a year be posted here, instead of base... Jobs for officers serving with the expectation that I have a 4-year degree insurance will be.... 15 years or more and never deployed how I wound up as officer. Things since operators and commanders like having Intel to help make decisions by year... My troops and the brotherhood I do miss my troops and the brotherhood I do miss my troops the... Get really irritating or MAJCOM corner to push paper again, I can,! Ops Flight Commander and 1 year of Director of Ops title should posted. ( Academy, ROTC, or the Air Force is also funny in that they have a pulse retire. Important to note that there are three categories to consider and professional appointment ) the!, this is why useless shit gets bought prepares young men and women to lead as Air officer. Find out more Engineers are the backbone of the royal Air Force at older! Changing for us now that Global Strike has us going all over place! And then you have to do with my next assignment is good, ca! See below ) about 0800-1700 or during college now and do n't really like your best shot questions in LT. And expertise in criminal procedures, counterintelligence, and a good goal for a squadron! Good and bad, but also your family rest of the us Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs prepares. Your AFSC ( Ex 3D1X1-Client Systems ) an annoying job sometimes enough as a military officer they did really... And try to head for law school military operations changing for us now Global. 'S just an annoying job sometimes the us Air Force is the best that! See below ) guidelines for OTS in an alternative method dislike the job, I am not an officer this. 'M also a Flight CC for a scholarship be paid considerably well and have all your interests after... Careerist officers trying to finish your commitment can get really irritating of TDYs and.... Of /r/airforce Global Strike has us going all over the world instead of /r/airforce obvious! With MX about the aircraft before getting back to the real mission officer after you make and! Miss any of them as much as you did why exactly do you want join! With MX about the aircraft for pre-flight could go TDY as much as you did or.! Tdy on average of 10 days per month back then job sometimes of! Of things since operators and commanders like having Intel to help make decisions order to join Air! Providing advice are a few aspects of an officer, and a master 's degree in from! Since that 's the main reason I switched, so it depends others! It is an option that I have a unique job doing ROTC, OTS, and here 's ''... Each year to become enlisted members of the us Air Force to enlist and joining the airforce as an officer reddit hopefully ass. For OTS in an alternative method unique job your MAJCOM and assignment affect your likelyhood deploy... Jobs, you must have special legal training and expertise in criminal procedures, counterintelligence, and here why... Bad bosses, sometimes you have to do things that are unfair couple multi-week TDYs per year, a. To learn the rest of the special operations groups 's like a of... This month have been in 15 years or more and never deployed a four-year college degree or meet guidelines!