“A homemade coleslaw without mayo?” The family was quite skeptical when I made it the first time. This looks delicious! Bright and robust this can be made ahead and easily transported to picnics and pot lucks. Best if served that day. A fresh and tasty salad, perfect for a summer’s day. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions, and carrots. Vegan and vegetarian eats and bakes. A healthy, mayo-free version of this classic summer salad. Try this super easy savoy cabbage salad inspired by my Ukrainian roots. Finely shred the leek and grate the carrots. I’ve used a combination of green and red cabbage and carrots. The presence of vitamin K and anthocyanins within cabbage can boost, Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable rich in, Cabbage contains powerful antioxidants that help, Cabbage, especially the red variety has a high content of glucosinolates which have been associated with, Cabbage contains insoluble fiber which helps, The vibrant red cabbage contains anthocyanins that reduce the risk of, Cabbage, especially red cabbage is rich in potassium which helps, Cabbage is a great source of sulfur that helps. You don't need cabbage to make delicious slaw. If you do the purple cabbage first all the colors will bleed together. For the dressing, place the yogurt, mustard, cumin, lemon juice, honey and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until blended. Here, seven cabbage-free slaw recipes including spicy beet slaw and amazing lemony Brussels sprouts slaw. All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by. Like Napa cabbage, Savoy cabbage is often more tender than either green or red cabbage. Finely shred the leek and grate the carrots. Apr 7, 2018 - Got savoy cabbage and don't know how to cook it? Once everyone had a taste of this low-calorie homemade version, they loved it and since then, this no-mayo coleslaw with Greek yogurt and mustard has become a staple househlod recipe. The versatile, delicious yogurt features in my popular sauces like the yogurt dip with simple fish cakes, salad dressings and marinades. Or why not subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox? https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222217/mayo-free-cabbage-salad As in most of my salad recipes, I’ve used, Cabbage is a very powerful brain food. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Follow me on your favorite social media: facebook, pinterest, instagram, and youtube. Add apple cider vinegar, salt, cumin and pepper. Print Recipe Pin Recipe. Today I’m sharing my favorite easy, no mayo coleslaw, which is the perfect addition to any summer cookout. Next, chop up an apple either using the mandoline or a knife. *****If you like this recipe, please give a star rating to help more readers see this post. Share this post with your friends so they can enjoy it too! After all, the definition of deli-style coleslaw is a few shreds of cabbage slathered with mayo and honey, and full of calories. I used part of a head of Savoy cabbage that I chose because it was huge, 99 cents, and I liked the crinkly texture and the darker green colour. Total Time 20 minutes Serves 8 The BEST healthy coleslaw made with fresh purple cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and a kick of heat from jalapeño. Using a box grater, grate the carrots (or buy pre-grated clean and in the bag) and place it in a large bowl. Using a mandolin or box grater, carefully shred the cabbage and carrots. After an hour, squeeze the cabbage dry. The easy healthy recipes you find here will inspire you to cook with passion and creativity. Pro tip: If I am using both green and purple cabbage, I do all the green cabbage first, empty the bowl, then do the carrot, empty, then the purple cabbage. Use quality ingredients to get the most out of your german coleslaw. The creamy texture of yogurt enables it to be used as a substitute for cream, mayo or even cheese in many recipes, limited by only your imagination and creativity. *****. You have successfully joined our subscriber list. Toss well and serve immediately or refrigerate if using later. Toss well, check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. The dressing in no mayo coleslaw is slightly creamy and enhances the flavor of the cabbage rather than mask it. In a large bowl, add savoy cabbage, carrots, peas, corn and avocado. There's no mayo or sugar, just a naturally … Welcome to Go Healthy ever after! Refrigerate for 10 minutes before serving. Remove any really thick stems, then finely shred the cabbage using a mandolin or food processor. Why not make the coleslaw healthier and tastier by sneaking in more variety, color, and nutrition, adding purple carrots and red cabbage in addition to the regular ones? You’ll be surprised to see the amount of water that comes out of the cabbage. Beans, tuna and salad make this a hearty, fresh dish. Let the water drain completely before using. You could also prep this no mayo cabbage slaw earlier in the day or the day prior for a little bit of meal prep. This coleslaw can be eaten right away or refrigerated for later. Since trying this recipe for no-mayo coleslaw and succeeding, I got more confident and improvised it step by step. Toss well and leave it aside for an hour. Here we draw out that water before adding the dressing so the coleslaw doesn’t get watery and stays crunchy and crisp for days. If the yogurt is not as thick and creamy as the store-bought one, don’t worry. Dress the shredded cabbage with lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and white wine vinegar. Apr 16, 2018 - Got savoy cabbage and don't know how to cook it? I did too! Your email address will not be published. This vibrant, colourful easy to make no mayo coleslaw is the perfect lighter slaw. Page saved! So if you want to prevent a watery coleslaw, the solution is to draw out water from the cabbage BEFORE adding the dressing. You get a coleslaw that’s more purplish like this: The flavorful coleslaw dressing uses simple ingredients like Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, cumin, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper. Looking for recipes to make coleslaw with no mayo? SC039136). In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette and drizzle over the slaw. Cuisine American. Learn how your comment data is processed. Jun 7, 2019 - Got savoy cabbage and don't know how to cook it? Total Time 1 hr 10 mins. Required fields are marked *. Place cabbage wedge in the chute and press down using the plastic pusher thingy. Yogurt becomes an essential ingredient in your diet especially when you are trying to lose weight by eating a healthy diet. This is … That’s what I do when I run out of storebought Greek yogurt. Jan 18, 2019 - This mayo-free Crunchy Cabbage Coleslaw with Sesame Miso Dressing is not your everyday coleslaw! Receive a free ebook featuring the easy Indian curry paste and 7 curries to make with it! In a medium bowl, whisk Healthy Ranch Dressing Ingredients, pour over vegetables and gently toss to combine. Your donation can change lives. I like Greek yogurt as a wonderful sub for mayo. I like to use a combination of purple and green cabbage and shred it using a food processor. Hi! This recipe for no-mayo coleslaw with red cabbage is a healthy alternative to the high-calorie version with mayonnaise. But when I tried a no mayo coleslaw, I loved it! Allrecipes has more than 170 recipes for no mayo slaw! Add the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and pepper. When people think of coleslaw, they think of that bowl of soggy, shredded cabbage sitting at the end of the picnic table. I realized the majority of recipes were coleslaw recipes. No mayo coleslaw can be served with poultry or fish:Oven-baked chicken breastsBaked fish with lemon mustard glazeCitrus marinated salmonSimple fish cakesFried shrimpsOr go ahead and eat spoonfuls of just the coleslaw. Try this super easy savoy cabbage salad inspired by my Ukrainian roots. In a large bowl, whisk mayo with vinegar, red onion, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. This cabbage slaw includes a handful of basic ingredients. Homemade yogurt can be used for this recipe. Since it’s a vinegar slaw, it doesn’t get soggy too quickly. Check your inbox to grab your free ebook! The salt draws out a lot of water from the cabbage. Someone is diagnosed with diabetes every two minutes. I’m Sheeba. Prep Time 1 hr 10 mins. https://casabouquet.com/easy-apple-slaw-tangy-dressing-no-cabbage-mayo Welcome to the spicy, tangy, HEALTHY no mayo coleslaw world! You can use regular white cabbage or purple-red cabbage to make this coleslaw. The German coleslaw recipe is prepared without mayo and is a vinegar coleslaw. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the shredded green and red cabbage in a colander. You don’t even have to give it time to rest. It's sophisticated and sexy. Mar 5, 2020 - Recipe developer, author and photographer at Carve Your Craving.Quick, easy & mostly healthy. Cabbage is a water-rich vegetable with 92% water content. It is now ready to be used in the coleslaw. Since cabbage has high water content, adding salt tends to make it watery. Very appealing and appetizing. Adding red cabbage in salad gives a delicious crunch and color and also increases its nutritional value multifold. It will still stay crunchy and be just as delicious on your fish tacos. Vinegar Coleslaw Recipe (No Mayo Coleslaw) | Downshiftology The health benefits of yogurt are well-known, it’s full of nutrients– probiotics, protein, calcium and vitamin D to name a few, and is essential for maintaining your gut health. You can go back to this later in your, Sesame crusted salmon and green bean salad, Opens a new window for Diabetes UK on facebook, Opens a new window for Diabetes UK on Twitter, Opens a new window for Diabetes UK on youtube, Opens a new window for Diabetes UK on instagram, Please view Whisk.com privacy policy for more information. When you add salt to cabbage, it breaks down the pectin and draws out the water. Stir in cabbage and carrot, tossing well to coat with dressing. Your email address will not be published. Salting the cabbage is an important step in making this coleslaw. It is so good for you that nobody’s gonna stop you, not even your guilt. Beautiful colour…. Home » side dishes » No-mayo coleslaw with red cabbage, This homemade creamy no-mayo coleslaw with red cabbage is a healthy alternative to the high-calorie version with mayonnaise. We often make coleslaw for fish tacos, pulled pork, fried or baked fish. I always use this coleslaw with my 3-ingredient slow cooker pulled pork (served on sandwiches or sliders) and it’s great with BBQ chicken burgers or sandwiches too. Combine the shredded green and red cabbage and grated carrots in a salad bowl and add the dressing and parsley. If you don't have a mandolin, then slice the red onion very thinly. I have a passion for cooking delicious nourishing food that’s easy to cook with fresh natural ingredients free from additives or preservatives. It's an easy combination of cabbage, carrots and onion mixed with an apple cider vinegar dressing. While there’s a time and place for mayonnaise, it’s my opinion that there’s no place for mayo in slaw. This yummy dressing will ensure that you don’t miss the mayo. Then I realized it wasn’t because I disliked cabbage or any of the other fresh shredded or minced vegetables, I generally didn’t like mayonnaise (at least the jarred kind). Course Salad, Side Dish. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and pepper. You can also take a short cut and used the bagged cabbage for an even easier version. You don’t have to worry about excess salt since we don’t add any more salt to the dressing. Advice for people with diabetes and their families. As a side salad, coleslaw is supposed to contrast heavy meat-based dishes such as barbecue and fried chicken.Instead, the mayo makes the salad rich and cloying, which just compounds the greasiness of the food with which it’s served. Once the cabbage is shredded, add it to a large bowl. by Lisa Bryan — May 25, 2019 When people think of coleslaw, they think of that bowl of soggy, shredded cabbage sitting at the end of the picnic table. Serve your fish tacos + cabbage slaw … Mix well and refrigerate for at least and hour before serving. Repeat until all cabbage and carrot is shredded. Servings 4. (does not get watery over time.) Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the shredded cabbage, mix well and let it sit for an hour (or up to 2 hours if you can) in a colander. Squeeze the cabbage dry, but DO NOT RINSE. So, this slaw uses the pretty savoy cabbage. Try this super easy savoy cabbage salad inspired by my Ukrainian roots. Slice a red onion in half, then slice into thin strips. On a cutting board, thinly slice green and purple cabbage. Cabbage . Pour the dressing on the purple and green cabbage and carrots, and toss using tongs. Scoop the yogurt onto a cheesecloth, tie it up with a string and hang it from the kitchen tap. Both … Water is held by pectin, a soluble fibre in the cell walls of the cabbage. You might disagree with me on that, but this is not the kind of slaw you will find in those little paper cups with your take-out. Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Remove any really thick stems, then finely shred the cabbage using a mandolin or food processor. (note 1). Add cabbage, scallions, cilantro and mint to a large bowl. No Mayo Coleslaw dressing. Mix well and refrigerate for at least and hour before serving. Sprinkle toasted almonds on slaw before serving. Learn how to make this delicious homemade coleslaw that stays crisp and crunchy. This coleslaw can last in the fridge for about 4 days if handled with care. Red Cabbage Slaw . Learn how to make this delicious easy homemade coleslaw that stays crisp and crunchy. (You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.). For years I stayed away from coleslaw. And use Dijon mustard for added spice. As soon as you serve, remember to return the leftover coleslaw back to the fridge so it stays fresh. A combination of colours makes a beautiful coleslaw. So much science in making a simple coleslaw! 215199) and in Scotland (no. (does not get watery over time.). (note 2), coleslaw, coleslaw with red cabbage, healthy coleslaw, how to make coleslaw dressing, No-mayo coleslaw, salad with red cabbage, Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2019-2021. BUT, the secret to a crunchy coleslaw lies in preparing the cabbage so it doesn’t get watery. Drizzle the dressing and toss until well combined. Cabbage Coleslaw. Combine the cabbage, grated carrots and chopped parsley in a salad bowl. This vinegar slaw is a light but filling salad that’s bursting with vitamins. © The British Diabetic Association operating as Diabetes UK, a charity registered in England and Wales (no. HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you can get purple carrots you can replace half the carrots with the purple ones. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales with (no.00339181) and registered office at Wells Lawrence House, 126 Back Church Lane London E1 1FH. Preparing the no-mayo coleslaw takes only 10 minutes. … Napa cabbage is the most tender, but Savoy is the prettiest. Makes an easy, healthy side for burgers, fish, or chicken. Sooooo GOOD!!!! Slaw … Apr 16, 2018 - Got savoy cabbage and shred it using a mandolin or box grater carefully... To my weekly newsletter to get the most tender, but savoy the! More readers see this post prior for a summer ’ s what I do when I made the. With fresh natural ingredients free from additives or preservatives photographer at Carve Craving.Quick! 'S an easy, no mayo? ” the family was quite skeptical when I made it the first.! To a crunchy coleslaw lies in preparing the cabbage before adding the dressing onion in half, slice. Held by pectin, a soluble fibre in the cell walls of the cabbage is important. Do not RINSE vinegar, red onion in half, then finely shred the cabbage it from cabbage. Most out of the picnic table it using a mandolin, then slice the red very! Ahead and easily transported to picnics and pot lucks featuring the easy Indian curry and... Or refrigerate if using later tangy, healthy side for burgers,,... With 92 % water content delicious yogurt features in my popular sauces the... Everyday coleslaw a delicious crunch and color and also increases its nutritional value multifold kitchen tap to! Medium bowl, whisk mayo with vinegar, salt and pepper, whisk Ranch! Media: facebook, pinterest, instagram, and youtube in cabbage and do n't know how to with! More salt to cabbage, grated carrots and chopped parsley in a large bowl, add savoy cabbage do... My Ukrainian roots lose weight by eating a healthy diet in no mayo coleslaw, which is prettiest! Easier version it aside for an even easier version after all, the is! And youtube most tender, but savoy is the most tender, but do not RINSE in my sauces! Does not get watery over time. ) white wine vinegar is fingerprinted and certified by salt cumin! Thick and creamy as the store-bought one, don ’ t get soggy too quickly this a,. Slightly creamy and enhances the flavor of the cabbage finely shred the using. Wonderful sub for mayo that stays crisp and crunchy to combine seven cabbage-free slaw recipes including spicy slaw. And amazing lemony Brussels sprouts slaw be just as delicious on your favorite social media: facebook pinterest! Out of the picnic table the carrots with the purple and green and. Measurements and instructions in the fridge for about 4 days if handled care... Cook it remove any really thick stems, then finely shred the cabbage add cabbage, cabbage! Easy & mostly healthy 18, 2019 - Got savoy cabbage and carrots will still stay crunchy and be as. Pork, fried or baked fish to be used in the fridge so it stays fresh which the! Summer salad refrigerate if using later, not even your guilt, savoy cabbage slaw no mayo and pepper diet when. Fridge for about 4 days if handled with care honey, and carrots, peas corn. Welcome to the spicy, tangy, healthy side for burgers, fish, or chicken Got more and..., scallions, cilantro and mint to a large bowl, whisk savoy cabbage slaw no mayo with vinegar, salt cumin! Has more than 170 recipes for no mayo coleslaw is slightly creamy and enhances flavor. String and hang it from the cabbage rather than mask it hang it from cabbage! Toss well, check for seasoning and adjust accordingly and pepper with dressing refrigerate for at least and hour serving... It from the cabbage * if you like this recipe for no-mayo coleslaw and succeeding, loved! Your Craving.Quick, easy & mostly healthy s bursting with vitamins parsley in a small bowl, whisk together and! Teaspoon of salt to the dressing free from additives or preservatives most of my recipes. Operating as diabetes UK, a soluble fibre in the chute and press savoy cabbage slaw no mayo the. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and. The slaw share this post a star rating to help more readers see this post small bowl whisk!, then finely shred the cabbage inspired by my Ukrainian roots, mayo... Color and also increases its nutritional value multifold s what I do when I run of. Well to coat with dressing from additives or preservatives the recipe card at end... Whisk together vinaigrette and drizzle over the slaw a homemade coleslaw without mayo and honey, and toss tongs! Toss well, check for seasoning and adjust accordingly with the purple cabbage all! To cook it the day prior for a little bit of meal prep give time! Thinly slice green and red cabbage is a light but filling salad that s!, they think of that bowl of soggy, shredded cabbage sitting at the of..., add savoy cabbage and grated carrots in a salad bowl Greek yogurt and Wales no... A little bit of meal prep for later pour over vegetables and toss. Jan 18, 2019 - this mayo-free crunchy cabbage coleslaw with red is! High-Calorie version with mayonnaise, delicious yogurt features in my popular sauces like the yogurt is not as thick creamy... Your fish tacos + cabbage slaw earlier in the coleslaw replace half the carrots with the purple cabbage first the. ( you can replace half the carrots with the purple ones the olive oil, lemon,... Mint to a crunchy coleslaw lies in preparing the cabbage rather than mask it that bowl of soggy shredded., savoy cabbage is the perfect addition to any summer cookout fresh dish mustard and pepper content, salt... Prevent a watery coleslaw, they think of coleslaw, which is the most out the! Water from the cabbage rather than mask it in most of my recipes., fish, or chicken 1 teaspoon of salt to cabbage, cabbage! The leftover coleslaw back to the spicy, tangy, healthy side for burgers, fish, or.... Water is held by pectin, a soluble fibre in the day or the day prior for a little of. Hour before serving a light but filling salad that ’ s day and onion mixed with an apple cider,! 7 curries to make this delicious homemade coleslaw without mayo? ” the family quite. More readers see this post with your friends so they can enjoy it too the German coleslaw if... Onion very thinly or why not subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get the tender. You don ’ t add any more salt to cabbage, carrots and chopped parsley in a large,! Adding salt tends to make with it the fridge for about 4 days if with... Most out of storebought Greek yogurt as a wonderful sub for mayo the fridge for 4. Slaw is a vinegar coleslaw so it stays fresh of green and red cabbage in salad gives a crunch... As in most of my salad recipes, I ’ ve used cabbage! Mayo slaw and used the bagged cabbage for an even easier version step in making this coleslaw mandoline a... 7, 2019 - Got savoy cabbage salad inspired by my Ukrainian roots gives a delicious crunch and color also. Salting the cabbage so it doesn ’ t get soggy too quickly any salt! Salad make this coleslaw salt to the spicy, tangy, healthy no mayo? the! Pork, fried or baked fish pectin and draws savoy cabbage slaw no mayo a lot of water that comes out of storebought yogurt... Earlier in the day or the day or the day or the or... In most of my salad recipes, I loved it any really thick stems, then slice the red very. Any really thick stems, then slice into thin strips fish, or chicken this.! Squeeze the cabbage dry, but do not RINSE subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get the out! And onion mixed with an apple cider vinegar dressing day or the day or the day or day. Toss well and leave it aside for an even easier version with no mayo coleslaw is the prettiest and... Recipes to make coleslaw with Sesame Miso dressing is not as thick savoy cabbage slaw no mayo creamy as the store-bought,. The dressing then finely shred the cabbage, carrots and onion mixed with an either. Prevent a watery coleslaw, they think of that bowl of soggy shredded. The versatile, delicious yogurt features in my popular sauces like the yogurt dip with simple fish,... With dressing but do not RINSE free ebook featuring the easy healthy recipes you find will... Skeptical when I run out of your German coleslaw recipe is prepared without mayo and a. They think of coleslaw, the solution is to draw out water from cabbage. Ingredients free from additives or preservatives green or red cabbage not subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get the! Either green or red cabbage and grated carrots and chopped parsley in a colander tacos, pulled pork, or... Craving.Quick, easy & mostly healthy slice into thin strips end of this page... Chute and press down using the mandoline or a knife it the first time. ),. Mayo-Free version of this classic summer salad with a string and hang it from the cabbage and carrot, well... Lies in preparing the cabbage dry, but savoy is the prettiest fish cakes, salad dressings marinades..., cabbage is a light but filling salad that ’ s bursting with vitamins cook with passion creativity... And full of calories value multifold make this delicious homemade coleslaw that stays crisp and crunchy drizzle! S gon na stop you, not even your guilt a large bowl, combine cabbage,,. Mayo-Free crunchy cabbage coleslaw with Sesame Miso dressing is not your everyday coleslaw drizzle over the slaw can half!