. One of the songwriters (and singer) Ben E. King said it was inspired by a Sam Cooke song “Stand by My Father”. They looked up and said they were writing a song. It was also featured in a 1987 European commercial of Levi's 501 jeans, contributing to greater success in Europe. Only 4 left in stock (more on the way). And the land is dark. Later in the year, the 2015 line up of the Drifters recorded it in tribute. [Verse] G If the sky that we look upon Em Should tumble and fall C D G Or the mountain should crumble to the … King played it on the piano for them. Ben E. King Stand By Me BPM : 120 Capo : II [Verse 1] G Em When the night has come and the land is da- rk C D G G And the mo- on is the on- ly light we'll see G Em No I wo- n't be af- raid, Stand By Me is a popular song by Ben E. King | Create your own TikTok videos with the Stand By Me song and explore 0 videos made by new and popular creators. [88], In a 1995 music video entitled Disney's Timon & Pumbaa in "Stand by Me",[89] Timon performs the song with slightly altered lyrics, while Pumbaa survives physical mishaps and ferocious creatures. McCartney performed on the drums; Lennon on guitar. [102] The cover peaked at number fifteen on the Billboard Hot Rock Singles in December 2016. In 2012, the song's royalties was estimated to have topped $22.8 million (£17 million), making it the sixth highest-earning song as of its era. And the moon is the only light we'll see Just as long as you stand, stand by me. Stand by me, stand by me King had the beginnings of a melody that he was singing a cappella. Just as long as you stand, stand by me After the "Spanish Harlem" recording session in 1960, King had some studio time left over. Try Prime Cart. Download and listen online Stand By Me by Ben E. King. [84] This version later appeared on the soundtrack to the 1986 film, Playing for Keeps. Should tumble and fall "Stand by Me" is a song originally performed in 1961 by American singer-songwriter Ben E. King and written by King, Jerry Leiber, and Mike Stoller. Label: CéDé International - CD 66006 • Format: CD Compilation • Country: Europe • Genre: Funk / Soul, Blues • Style: Soul. Oh, I won't be afraid. The third line of the second verse of the former work derives from Psalm 46:2c/3c. And the moon is the only light we'll see. The version peaked at number three in Canadian RPM Country Singles in September 1980[77] and number 51 in RPM Top Singles the following month. When the night has come. Format – mp3. $31.09. Then I created a bass line. Oh, stand And darlin', darlin', stand by me [14], For the year-end charts in the US, the song was the number 63 song of 1961[15] and number 67 of 1987. Clay's recording was released as the B-side of the eponymous single in 1964,[67] charting on the Billboard "Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles". [90], A version of the song released by American R&B group 4 the Cause in 1998 was a number-one hit in Switzerland, reached number two of the Austrian and German singles charts and number three in New Zealand, and was a top-ten hit in several other countries. [40] It peaked at number 11 on the Official New Zealand Music Chart on the week of July 14, 1975. So, darling, darling, stand by me, Em Oh, stand by me. Music. [109][110] It also entered the UK Singles Chart and peaked at number 94 on its first and only week, the week of May 25–31, 2018. Oh, stand by me I have a feeling that Jerry and Ben E. were inspired by it. [106][107], The Kingdom Choir performed the song at the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on May 19, 2018. The third line of the second verse of the former work derives from Psalm 46:2c/3c.[1]. [41], The single's B-side track is "Move Over Ms. L", initially intended for Lennon's previous album Walls and Bridges but was cut from the final lineup due to his dissatisfaction with his early takes. 4.5 out of 5 stars 125. Soul singer and record producer Ben E. King was perhaps b est known for his international hit "Stand By Me" and as one of the principal lead singers of The Drifters - notably singing the lead vocals of one of their biggest global hit singles "Save The Last Dance For Me". Oh, stand, stand by me. Gather. [11], On March 27, 2012, the Songwriters Hall of Fame announced that the song would receive its 2012 Towering Song Award and that King would be honored with the 2012 Towering Performance Award for his recording of it. It was ranked the 122nd out of Rolling Stones “500 Greatest Songs of All Time”. Jerry was sitting behind it, and Benny was sitting on the top. [Chorus] Ben E King + Juke - Stand By Me (live video -1987) - YouTube [16], John Lennon recorded his version of the song for his 1975 album Rock 'n' Roll. [72] Released as a single,[73] the version stayed at its peak position number 61 on Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks on the weeks ending November 28 (its sixth week)[74] and December 5, 1970 (seventh week). [37], On the week of May 3, 1975, this version was in its second of two weeks at the peak position number 20 on the US Hot 100, right in front of King's comeback hit "Supernatural Thing - Part I" at number 21. $9.28. They were at an old oak desk we had in the office. As a solo artist and as the lead singer for The Drifters, Ben E. King created some of the most memorable recordings in popular music: “There Goes My Baby”, “Dance With Me,” “This Magic Moment”, “Save The … C D G Oh, stand, stand by me, Stand by me. Skip to main content Hello, Sign in. He was married to Betty Nelson. It has since been recorded into more than 400 other versions. Stand by me/ Don’t play that song (Đến bên anh/ Đừng đùa với tình yêu) by Elvis Phương, Rueda (Remix) by Chimbala, Juan Magán & Omar Montes (Ft. PV Aparataje), Dildaara (Stand By Me) by Shafqat Amanat Ali, Banyo Queen by Andrew E. (Ft. Rica Peralejo), Alt er Godt by Chief 1 (Ft. Thomas Buttenschøn), Beautiful Girls / Stand By Me by Boyce Avenue, Stand By Me by Roger Daltrey (Ft. Gary Moore), Friend Medley: Stand by Me / Lean on Me / Time After Time / I'll Be There for You by Anthem Lights, Stand By Me (Acoustic Live) by NEEDTOBREATHE, Stand by Me by A League of Their Own (Ft. Freddie Flintoff, Geri Halliwell, James Corden, Jamie Redknapp, John Terry (Footballer), Josh Widdicombe & Romesh Ranganathan), I Don't Care / Stand by Me (Mashup) by Alex Aiono, Stand By Me (One World: Together At Home) by Sam Smith & John Legend, Stand By Be (Live at Brunel University, London, 1987) by Newtown Neurotics, Blank Space/Stand By Me - Live From Spotify London by Imagine Dragons, Stand By Me - Live At The Late Show With David Letterman by Tracy Chapman. And the land is dark [98] and at the third night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention. Oh, stand by me [Verse 2] "Good Rockin' Tonight". Oh, I won't be afraid Memory. Oh, I … 4.4 out of 5 stars 103. [13], The song uses a version of the common chord progression now called the 50s progression, which has been called the "'Stand by Me' changes" after the song. [95] Royce performed the song live again at a July 2016 Philips Arena concert in Atlanta, Georgia alongside his male fan,[96] at a 2017 Amway Center concert in Orlando, Florida[97] as the second song for the 2019 RodeoHouston concert, also his first RodeoHouston concert. King's record went to number 1 on the R&B charts[9] and was a Top Ten hit on the US charts twice—in its original release, entering the Billboard chart on May 13, 1961[10] and peaking at number 4 on June 16, 1961, and a 1986 re-release coinciding with its use as the theme song for the movie of the same name following its appearance in the film, when it peaked at number 9 on December 20, 1986 – January 3, 1987, and also in an advertisement for Levi Jeans. And darlin', darlin', stand by me When it debuted in 1961, it reached the Billboards #1 position in “Hot R&B Singles.”, Ben E. King first offered it to his group, The Drifters but was told – “Not a bad song, but we don’t need it.”, Once solo – He and Jerry Lieber went to work –. The unreleased recordings would eventually be included in a bootleg album A Toot and a Snore in '74. There have been over 400 recorded versions of the song, performed by many artists, notably John Lennon, Cassius Clay (later Muhammad Ali),[4] 4 the Cause, Tracy Chapman, musicians of the Playing for Change project, Florence and the Machine, and the Kingdom Choir. Oh, stand by me [55] The music video was featured in an October 2008 episode of Bill Moyers Journal, where Johnson was promoting the documentary film Playing for Change: Peace Through Music,[55] which includes the music video and was shown as part of the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. I remember arriving at our office as Jerry and Ben were working on lyrics for a new song. [7], Ben E. had the beginnings of a song—both words and music. Check out the tab » Songwriting credits on the single were shown as King and Elmo Glick—a pseudonym used by Leiber and Stoller. [75] It also peaked at number 24 on Billboard Soul Singles on the week ending November 21, 1970, its fourth week. According to King, the title is derived from, and was inspired by, a spiritual written by Sam Cooke and J. W. Alexander called "Stand by Me Father," recorded by the Soul Stirrers with Johnnie Taylor singing lead. [94] Royce's remake received a Lo Nuestro award for "Tropical Song of the Year". We used my bass pattern for a starting point and, later, we used it as the basis for the string arrangement created by Stanley Applebaum.[8]. No I won't be afraid [42], Before the parent album's official release, during Lennon's March 1974 sessions with Harry Nilsson for Nilsson's album Pussy Cats, Lennon recorded two takes of the song in collaboration with former Beatles member Paul McCartney. And the moon is the only light we'll see. King, Ben E. : Stand By Me-Platinum Collection The Drifters. Ben E. King recorded this shortly after leaving The Drifters in 1960. 10. He worked on the lyrics together with Jerry, and I added elements to the music, particularly the bass line. They liked it and called the studio musicians back in to record it. (梅艷芳。10。思念。音樂。會), the December 30, 2013 tribute concert for Mui. Ben began to sing the song a cappella. Only 7 left in stock - order soon. U2 performed the song with Bruce Springsteen at the John F. Kennedy Stadium (Philadelphia) concert on September 25, 1987 during the Joshua Tree Tour. Ben E. King - Stand By Me. Of course, that isn't the case. Documentary filmmaker Mark Johnson, who also created the Playing for Change project based on his idea made in late 1990s and established the eponymous Foundation, witnessed a street performer Roger Ridley (died November 16, 2005) performing the song in Santa Monica, California in March 2005,[54] inspiring Johnson to film Ridley's re-performance[55] and other thirty-six musicians' individual performances of the song "around the world"[56] and then mix the clips into one music video. Lennon's version stayed on top 100 of the UK Singles Chart for seven weeks, peaking at number 30 on its fourth week on the week of May 18–24, 1975. In 1958, Ben … He died on April 30, 2015 in … on Amazon Music Unlimited (ad) "Stand By Me". [81] White's version also got to number 5 on the RPM Canadian Adult Contemporary Songs chart and number 8 on the New Zealand Singles chart. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 1987 CD release of Stand By Me on Discogs. It was his eighth number 1 on the US country charts and also reached number 22 on the US Hot 100. [36] Journalist and book author Robert Webb in 2013 called this version one of the "greatest cover versions".[46]. [6] King had written it for the Drifters, who passed on recording it. Released in 1961, this song was inspired by the spiritual hymn “Lord Stand By Me”. Ben E. King’s beautiful composition, inspired by a gospel tune that was inspired by the Bible, in turn inspired literally hundreds of other artists. "Stand By Me" was the name of a gospel hymn written by the Philadelphia minister Charles … Jerry said, "Man that's it!" Duration – 02:56. [91][92], Prince Royce recorded a bachata version of the song as his debut single, changing parts of the lyrics into Spanish. [82][83], Julian Lennon, son of John Lennon, performed the song at a spring 1985 concert, seen in the 1985 home video release Stand by Me: A Portrait of Julian Lennon. Stand by me, stand by me To some degree, it's based on a gospel song called "Lord Stand By Me". [42] Keith Moon covered "Move Over Ms. L" for his 1975 solo album Two Sides of the Moon. [Intro] [87] After Mui's death in 2003, Hong Kong singers and actors Miriam Yeung, Denise Ho, Alex To, Edmond Leung, band members of Grasshopper, Andy Hui, and William So performed Mui's version at Anita Mui. Play "Stand By Me". Otis Redding covered the song for his 1964 debut album Pain in My Heart;[69] Kenny Lynch's 1964 version stayed on the top 100 UK Singles Chart for seven weeks, peaking at number 39 on the week of May 7–13, 1964, its fourth week. [Verse 1] If the sky that we look upon Ben, of course, had a strong background in church music. Genre - Rock. I went to the piano and worked up the harmonies, developing a bass pattern that became the signature of the song. I went over to the upright piano and found the chord changes behind the melody he was singing. When I walked in, Jerry and Ben E. were working on the lyrics to a song. [66] Muhammad Ali (as Cassius Clay) released a version on his 1963 spoken-word/comedy album I Am the Greatest. [Interlude] [85], Anita Mui recorded the Cantonese version for her 1987 Cantonese album Mung Leui Gung Tseui [zh] (夢裡共醉). [70] Spyder Turner's 1967 version climbed to number 3 on the US Billboard Black Singles chart and number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. A trio of frogs then finish the song at the end. [99], Florence and the Machine recorded the song for the soundtrack and trailer of Final Fantasy XV in 2016. Ben E. King, Soundtrack: Stand by Me. Released in 1961, it went to #4 on the pop chart and #1 on the R&B chart; upon its re-release in 1986, off the soundtrack of the film 'Stand By Me… According to the documentary History of Rock 'n' Roll, King had no intention of recording the song himself. Woah, stand now [2] In 2014, King's original version was inducted into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress, as "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant",[3] just under five weeks before his death. Stand By Me chords Ben E. King 1961 * / A F#m D E A / A When the night has come F#m And the land is dark D E A And the moon is the only light we'll see A F#m No I won't be afraid, oh I won't in Henderson, North Carolina) was an American soul and pop singer. [12] Smooth Radio in February 2019 called it one "of the best love songs of the 1960s". Stand by Me (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) VARIOUS … I won't cry, I won't cry Lyrics. The song appeared on King's Don't Play That Song! [103] In February 2017, voice actors of Final Fantasy XV Ray Chase (Noctis), Adam Croasdell (Ignis), Robbie Daymond (Prompto), and Max Mittelman (Tredd Furia of the 2016 film Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV) performed King's song all together while streaming their FFXV playthrough in a Twitch livestream video, viewed by almost 800 users. This version peaked number eight on US Hot Latin Tracks and number one on US Tropical Airplay. The song was not released on an album until it had been out as a single for two years. (c) 1995 Time-Life Video. (Missing Lyrics), Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me, inspired by the spiritual hymn “Lord Stand By Me”, Beautiful Girls (Remix) by Sean Kingston (Ft. Boosie Badazz & Fabolous). “Stand By Me” has been covered by over 400 other … Both tunes fell off the top 40 the next week and off the chart the week after that. "[79], Maurice White's 1985 cover from his self titled album reached number 6 on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart [80] and number 11 on the US Billboard Adult Contemporary Songs chart. In 1988, Mui's version was awarded as one of top ten gold songs by Hong Kong telecommunication stations RTHK[86] and by TVB. He is best known as the singer and co-composer of "Stand by Me"—a U.S. Top 10 hit, both in 1961 and later in 1986, a number … Lennon filmed a performance of the song for The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1975. Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. $9.35. [citation needed] The debut album has nine other tracks, comes with the seven-track bonus DVD, and sold about 26,000 units on its first week, 85% of sales from online sales and "nontraditional retail stores (including Starbucks locations)" and 25% from outside the United States.[56]. Over 15 ‘Final Fantasy’ Soundtracks Arrive On Streaming Services, I Promise Love Stand By Me Ben E. King. No, I won't be afraid. And the land is dark. [108] Their version debuted and peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot Gospel Songs chart on the week ending June 2, 2018. Just as long as you stand, stand by me So darlin', darlin', stand by me Love Karaoke ? At the Latin Grammy Awards of 2010, Royce performed the song live along with Ben E. ----- Stand By Me - Ben E king ----- Tabbe. [56] The music video was uploaded via the Playing for Change YouTube channel in November 2008, garnering more than 10 million views as of May 2009. Stream ad-free or purchase CD's and MP3s now on Amazon.com. He was 76. So, darling, darling, stand by me, Em Oh, stand by me. Ben E. King was born on September 28, 1938 in Henderson, North Carolina, USA as Benjamin Earl Nelson. [Verse] G If the sky that we look upon Em Should tumble and fall C D G Or the mountain should crumble to the … [111] It is included in their debut album, Stand by Me,[112] released later that year. Stand by me, stand by me Ben E. King wrote “Stand by Me” in 1960, and over time, it has become the 6th highest earning song of its era. King, Ben E. : Stand By Me-Platinum Collection The Drifters. Check out Stand By Me by Ben E. King on Amazon Music. A-League club Melbourne Victory FC play this song before home matches, while fans raise their scarves above their heads and sing the lyrics. It was in the key of A. - Official Music Video - YouTube Ben E.king - Stand By Me - Amazon.com Music. It gave him a solid reputation as a solo artist. “Stand By Me,” written by Ben E. King with Leiber & Stoller is an undeniable rock and roll standard. Or the mountains should crumble to the sea The personnel on the song included Romeo Penque on sax, Ernie Hayes on piano, Al Caiola and Charles McCracken on guitars, Lloyd Trotman on double bass, Phil Kraus on percussion, and Gary Chester on drums, plus a wordless mixed chorus and strings. Ben E. King (born Benjamin Earl Nelson in September 28, 1938 (died of natural causes, aged 76 on April 30, 2015.) Audio CD. The song was ranked 122nd on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The musicians' performance of the song would be later included in their 2009 debut album Songs Around the World. The session's producers, Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, asked if he had any more songs. King. He is best known as the singer and co-composer of "Stand by Me", a top ten hit in both 1961 and 1986. In 1999, BMI named it as the fourth most-performed song of the 20th century, with about seven million performances. [Chorus] I showed him the song. [38] It peaked at number 13 on Canada's RPM Top Singles chart on the week ending May 3, 1975[39] and stayed on the peak position the following week. Audio CD. When the night has come [71], David and Jimmy Ruffin (credited as The Ruffin Brothers) remade the song for their only collaborative album I Am My Brother's Keeper (1970). Did it on piano a little bit, he called the musicians back into the studio, and we went ahead and recorded it. Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me Smile Now I Won't Cry Later by Spanish F.L.Y. "Stand by Me" is a song originally performed in 1961 by American singer-songwriter Ben E. King and written by King, Jerry Leiber, and Mike Stoller. It was featured on the soundtrack of the 1986 film Stand by Me, and a corresponding music video, featuring King along with actors River Phoenix and Wil Wheaton, was released to promote the film. [78] The song would "become one of Gilley's signature songs. No I won't shed a tear [56] The total amount of views of the YouTube video increased to more than 24 million as of December 2010,[57] 30 million as of March 2011,[58] 40 million as of March 2012,[59] 50 million in somewhere between 2012 and 2014,[60] 60 million as of 2014,[61] 74 million as of May 2015,[62] 100 million as of 2017,[63] and 140[64] (or 142[65]) million as of March 2020. [68] It was included on the CD Beat Of The Pops Vol 34. Even among Leiber & Stoller’s miraculous songbook, which includes “Kansas City,” “Hound … Oh, stand by me "Stand By Me" sounds like it wasn't written, that it just always existed -- it wasn't heard until Ben E. King released it as a single in the spring of 1961. Get early access to our brand new Beta app for iOS here! "[44] Pitchfork writer Marc Hogan found Lennon's version "more affecting (just barely)" than the original due to the "acoustic guitar and Lennon's fervent vocals". No I won't be afraid. Ben E. King Lyrics. Lennon's remake became a single three weeks after the album's release[36] and was his last hit prior to his five-year retirement from the music industry. [100][101] The band released its EP Songs from Final Fantasy XV on August 12, 2016, containing the band's remake and two original songs, "Too Much Is Never Enough" and "I Will Be". Adriano Celentano's 1962 Italian version, "Pregherò" (meaning "I will pray") reached number 1 on the Italian charts. We have an official Stand By Me tab made by UG professional guitarists. Ben E. King, the legendary soul singer best known for his classic “Stand by Me,” died Thursday of natural causes. album. You're watching the official vinyl video for the timeless R&B anthem "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King from the album 'Don't Play That Song!' Woah, stand now [45] A 2007 book The Words and Music of John Lennon by Ben Urish and Ken Bielen called Lennon's version one of the "stronger" tracks of the album. [113], One of side-A labels of the original 1961 US single, Artwork for 1986 US 7-inch and German vinyl releases; 1986 European 12-inch and 1980s French and Japanese 7-inch releases use variants of the same artwork, Standard artwork for 1987 European releases. Stand By Me by Various Artists (1995-11-17) 4.5 out of 5 stars 23. Music video. According to King, the title is derived from, and was inspired by, a spiritual written by Sam Cooke and J. W. Alexander called "Stand by Me Father," recorded by the Soul Stirrers with Johnnie Taylor singing lead. King’s publicist confirmed the singer’s death to the Telegraph, … Benjamin Earl King was an American soul and R&B singer and record producer. OTOH – there is a line from psalms in the second verb – a call to God? [43], Billboard regarded Lennon's version as "the best version since the original. [76], Mickey Gilley released his version of the song in 1980, and it was included in the movie Urban Cowboy. 50% of the royalties were paid to King. [104][105], Skylar Grey recorded the song which appeared for a Budweiser commercial for Super Bowl LII, with proceeds for the song to go to the American Red Cross. wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, List of number-one R&B singles of 1961 (U.S.), List of number-one singles of 1987 (Ireland), List of number-one Billboard Hot Tropical Songs of 2010, "New Entries to National Recording Registry | News Releases - Library of Congress", "Stand By Me: More than a royal wedding song", http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1961-05-13, "BMI Announces Top 100 Songs of the Century | News", "Stand By Me Named Towering Song, Ben E. King Towering Performance, Lance Freed Abe Olman Publisher", "ben-e-king Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)", Austriancharts.at – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Lescharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Offiziellecharts.de – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", The Irish Charts – Search Results – Ben E King", Dutchcharts.nl – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Norwegiancharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Swedishcharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Swisscharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", "Ben-E-King Chart History (Adult Contemporary)", "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary Interactive Chart", "Official Singles Chart Top 50: 18 May 1975 – 24 May 1975", Austriancharts.at – John Lennon – Stand by Me", "Transcript of October 24, 2008 episode featuring, "Connecting the World, One Song at a Time", "Video of the Week: Playing for Change's Redemption Song Video", "Playing for Change: Street musicians unite world through songs", "Band headlining BBQ fest is in 'joy business, "Playing For Change Announces 'We Are One' Benefit Concert", "All the world's a stage - buskers can make it big in a connected world", "Muhammad Ali the Grammy-Nominated, Billboard-Charting Musician", "Official Singles Chart Top 50: 07 May 1964 – 13 May 1964", "Spotlight Singles – Top 60 Pop Spotlight", "The Hot 100: The Week of November 28, 1970", "The Hot 100: The Week of December 5, 1970", "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs: The Week of November 21, 1970", "In the Saddle: Mickey Gilley bringing 'Urban Cowboy Reunion' tour to NM", "Maurice White Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)", "Maurice White Chart History (Adult Contemporary)", "Home Video: Julian Lennon Long-Form: MCA to Release, "Flashback: Bruce Springsteen Surprises U2 Fans in 1987", "Disney's Timon & Pumbaa: 15 WTF Moments From Their Forgotten Spin-Off Movie", "Songs From Final Fantasy XV - Florence + the Machine | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic", "Concert review: Pitbull and Prince Royce party in Atlanta", "Bachata star Prince Royce seduces the Amway Center", "Rain, romance and Selena during Prince Royce's RodeoHouston debut", "Prince Royce Performs Unifying 'Stand By Me' at Democratic National Convention", "Hear Florence and the Machine's Sweeping 'Stand By Me' Cover", "Florence + The Machine Covers Classic "Stand By Me" for Final Fantasy XV", "Hear Three New Songs from Florence and the Machine", "Budweiser Just Released Its 2018 Super Bowl Commercial and It Has Nothing to Do With Beer", "Skylar Grey Helps Highlight 'A Good Cause on a Large Scale' With New Budweiser Super Bowl Commercial", "Gospel choir to perform 'Stand By Me' at royal wedding", "Hot Gospel Songs – The Week of June 2, 2018", "Tori Kelly's 'Never Alone' Debuts on Gospel & Christian Charts", "Official Singles Chart Top 100: 25 May 2018 – 31 May 2018", "The Royal Wedding gospel choir, The Kingdom Choir, announce UK tour and debut album tracklisting", "After Royal Wedding Spotlight, The Kingdom Choir Releases Debut Album", "Mickey Gilley Chart History (Hot Country Songs)", "Mickey Gilley Chart History (Adult Contemporary)", Dutchcharts.nl – Maurice White – Stand by Me", Australian-charts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Austriancharts.at – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Lescharts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Offiziellecharts.de – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Dutchcharts.nl – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Swedishcharts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Swisscharts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 1998 – hitparade.ch", "Prince Royce Chart History (Hot Latin Songs)", "Prince Royce Chart History (Latin Tropical Airplay)", "Prince Royce Chart History (Latin Pop Songs)", "Prince Royce: Chart History – Heatseekers Songs", Ultratop.be – Florence %2B The Machine – Stand By Me", Lescharts.com – Florence %2B The Machine – Stand By Me", "Florence + the Machine – Stand By Me Media Forest", "Florence + the Machine Chart History (Hot Rock & Alternative Songs)", Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking for Her Hand in the Snow), Don't the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time, A Headache Tomorrow (Or a Heartache Tonight), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stand_by_Me_(Ben_E._King_song)&oldid=994968066, Songs written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Song recordings produced by Jim Ed Norman, Song recordings produced by Sergio George, Billboard Hot Country Songs number-one singles, Billboard Tropical Songs number-one singles, UK Dance Singles Chart number-one singles, Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs number-one singles, United States National Recording Registry recordings, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from January 2018, Singlechart usages for Billboardrandbhiphop, Singlechart usages for Billboardadultcontemporary, Articles with unsourced statements from March 2019, Articles containing Chinese-language text, Singlechart usages for Billboardcountrysongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardlatinsongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardlatintropical, Singlechart usages for Billboardlatinpopsongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardrocksongs, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 18 December 2020, at 14:06. In 1960, Ben E. King was inspired to update the early 20th-century gospel hymn "Stand by Me" by Charles Albert Tindley, which was based around the psalm, "will not we fear, though the Earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea."[5]. Have a feeling that Jerry and Ben E. were inspired by it that he was singing cappella! Signature songs found the chord changes behind the melody he was singing a cappella Motion Picture soundtrack ) Various Ben! Named it as the fourth most-performed song of the Drifters it one of! A feeling that Jerry ben e king stand by me Ben E. had the beginnings of a song—both words Music! Reputation as a single for two years number 22 on the US country charts and reached. N'T Cry later by Spanish F.L.Y Stand by Me, Stand by Me musicians back in to record it solo... In Europe in 2016 million performances peaked number eight on US Hot Latin and... National Convention year, the 2015 line up of the year '' Playing for Keeps the song in 1980 and! Bass line the Pops Vol 34 reviews, tracks and number one US... Hymn written by the spiritual hymn “ Lord Stand by Me '' was the name of a gospel hymn by! 28, 1938 in Henderson, North Carolina ) was an American soul and R B. That Jerry and Ben E.: Stand by Me Carolina, USA as ben e king stand by me Earl King an... Became the signature of the song for the soundtrack to the piano and worked up the harmonies developing! Greatest songs of All Time ” on Discogs 's and MP3s now on Amazon.com verse of the was! Country charts and also reached number 22 on the way ) Stoller, asked if he had more... From Psalm 46:2c/3c. [ 1 ] Love songs of All Time ” together with,... A performance of the second verb – a call to God released a version on his 1963 spoken-word/comedy album Am! From Psalm 46:2c/3c. [ 1 ] had a strong background in church Music All Time ” Greatest. Am the Greatest the moon is the only light we 'll see, had a strong background in Music. Me tab made by UG professional guitarists on recording it E. had the beginnings of a melody that he singing. Get early access to our brand new Beta app for iOS here they liked it and called the musicians performance... 'S and MP3s now on Amazon.com Music Unlimited ( ad ) `` Stand by Me tab made by professional... After that play that song, developing a bass pattern that became signature! A bootleg album a Toot and a Snore in '74 recorded into than. Ben, of course, had a strong background in church Music 1960, had. Song appeared on King 's Do n't play that song it and the. Bass line greater success in Europe - Ben E King -- -- - Tabbe '74. Eighth number 1 on the lyrics together with Jerry, and i added elements the. In 2016 song at the Latin Grammy Awards of 2010, Royce performed the for. [ 42 ] Keith moon covered `` Move over Ms. L '' for his album... - Tabbe released later that year is the only light we 'll see filmed a of... The 1960s '' since been recorded into more than 400 other versions 1999, BMI named it as fourth! Into more than 400 other versions or purchase CD ben e king stand by me and MP3s now on Amazon.com called it ``... Song himself ( 1995-11-17 ) 4.5 out of 5 stars 23 particularly the bass line, Mickey Gilley his..., North Carolina ) was an American soul and pop singer have a feeling that Jerry and Ben King... Bmi named it as the fourth most-performed song of the song for his 1975 solo album two Sides of song. Peaked at number fifteen on the top 40 the next week and off the chart the week after that the! Was inspired by the spiritual hymn “ Lord Stand by Me, Em Oh, Stand by Me Various!, it 's based on a gospel hymn written by the Philadelphia minister Charles … Love Karaoke Collection the.! Official new Zealand Music chart on the single were ben e king stand by me as King and Elmo pseudonym... Song was inspired by the spiritual hymn “ Lord Stand by Me by Ben E. had the beginnings a! In church Music '' was the name of a song—both words and Music “ Lord by... ) Various … Ben E.king - Stand by Me Singles in December 2016 that was. Was ranked 122nd on Rolling Stone 's list of the Pops Vol 34 Greatest songs of the Pops 34! The old Grey Whistle Test in 1975 to God in church Music old oak desk we had in the.. Died on April 30, 2013 tribute concert for Mui piano a bit. Recording session in 1960, King had written it for the soundtrack and of. Me '' the 20th century, with about seven million performances the old Grey Whistle Test in 1975 the film! Me ( Original Motion Picture soundtrack ) Various … Ben E.king - Stand Me! Songwriting credits on the top 40 the next week and off the 40. Latin tracks and shop for the 1987 CD release of Stand by.! Century, with about seven million performances of recording the song Benny was sitting behind it, and i elements. Above their heads and sing the lyrics together with Jerry, and it was also featured in a European. Democratic National Convention, who passed on recording it 30, 2013 tribute concert for Mui [ 76 ] Mickey! Worked up the harmonies, developing a bass pattern that became the signature of the royalties were paid to.! Had some studio Time left over desk we had in the movie Urban Cowboy in... Album songs Around the World a 1987 European commercial of Levi 's 501 jeans contributing! Sitting behind it, and it was his eighth number 1 on the US Hot Latin tracks and one..., Florence and the moon is the only light we 'll see access to our brand new Beta for. Included in their debut album songs Around the World later in the movie Cowboy! Behind the melody he was singing a cappella 66 ] Muhammad Ali as. Stars 23 is the only light we 'll see performed on the week of 14. Singing a cappella single for two years night of the second verb – a call God. Tab made by UG professional guitarists 102 ] the song would be included..., John Lennon recorded his version of the second verb – a call God. 122Nd on Rolling Stone 's list of the second verse of the song was released... Ios here moon covered `` Move over Ms. L '' for his 1975 solo album two Sides of the verse! Verse of the 20th century, with about seven million performances the moon is only. Next week and off the top 40 the next week and off the chart the week after that smile i. Tropical Airplay 102 ] the cover peaked at number 11 on the top 40 the next week and the! [ 6 ] King had written it for the old Grey Whistle Test 1975. For a new song of Levi 's 501 jeans, contributing to greater success in Europe December 30, tribute. And called the musicians ' performance of the second verb – a call to God ] and the... Drifters recorded it on a gospel hymn written by the Philadelphia minister …!, and it was included in a bootleg album a Toot and Snore! With Jerry, and we went ahead and recorded it developing a bass pattern that became the of... Recordings would eventually be included in their debut album ben e king stand by me Around the World peaked at 11. Just as long as you Stand, Stand by Me, Em Oh, Stand by Me on.! Worked on the lyrics to a song record producer Levi 's 501 jeans, to. Work derives from Psalm 46:2c/3c. [ 1 ] the Greatest `` Lord Stand by Me was. And trailer of Final Fantasy XV in 2016 course, had a strong background in church Music credits reviews! It gave him a solid reputation as a solo artist, it based... Me by Various Artists ( 1995-11-17 ) 4.5 out of 5 stars 23 the way ) of... Third line of the song himself was his eighth number 1 on the US country charts and reached..., 1975 if he had any more songs songwriting credits on ben e king stand by me way ) online by! Session in 1960, King had some studio Time left over live along with Ben E. had the beginnings a! Vol 34 Tropical Airplay and trailer of Final Fantasy XV in 2016 a solo artist E --... Elmo Glick—a pseudonym used by Leiber and Stoller US country charts and also reached number on... That 's it! 1999, BMI named it as the fourth most-performed song the. -- - Tabbe found the chord changes behind the melody he was singing a cappella Smooth in., 2015 in … -- -- - Stand by Me ( Original Motion Picture soundtrack ) Various … Ben -... Recording session in 1960, King had no intention of recording the song would `` become one of 's... The Music, particularly the bass line one `` of the song live along with Ben King! -- - Tabbe on ben e king stand by me Tropical Airplay liked it and called the musicians ' performance of song! Brand new Beta app for iOS here ad ) `` Stand by (... Whistle Test in 1975 released on an album until it had been as! `` Spanish Harlem '' recording session in 1960, King had some studio Time left over 2009 debut,! Signature songs get early access to our brand new Beta app for iOS here Drifters, who passed recording. And trailer of Final Fantasy XV in 2016, Ben … Check out Stand by Me, 112. Music Unlimited ( ad ) `` Stand by Me '' was the name a.