This means the Nest can just be slapped on a lot more walls than the Ecobee. The system is set up so that the blower can produce less CFM per ton when latent (humidity) load in the space is higher than the setpoint relative humidity. On my case I had an App running that I did not recognize, but it was a skill from Alexa, after removing the App my thermostats are running without an issue for a solid four weeks!!! If the IDM is not running, it cannot be removing built up gas inside of your furnace, and therefore, this second safety feature will turn your furnace off before it even ignites. Although in my last home the installation was as easy as swapping some wires from the old system to the new ecobee, my new home wasn't as kind to … Each manual contains the most widespread issues and troubleshooting instructions for them. So if you go to your digital thermostat one day to turn on the AC or change its programming only to discover that the display screen showing a total blank, you’ll have a problem on your hands. Ecobee has released a new firmware version 4.2.0.171 for their Ecobee 4 devices. IDM pressure switch (typically a vacuum switch) checks to ensure that the induced draft motor is actually running. While the average air conditioning cycle lasts around 20 minutes, sometimes your air conditioning system can go through cycles too quickly—an issue known as “short cycling.” Short cycling is a term that means the air conditioner turns on and off in short bursts and does not heat or cool your house properly. I tried resetting the Ecobee completely to no avail. No matter why the safety switch was triggered, you should have your system inspected immediately. By keeping your fan on in the winter, you may feel cold air coming out of your vents. Because it illustrates just one of many reasons why a heater might blow cold air, and an air conditioner might blow hot air. Batteries are only a major problem to thermostats that don’t have a C-Wire or some means to draw power from the mains supply for instance the ecobee PEK. If you notice that your auxiliary heat seems to be coming on too frequently or you get an alert that says “auxiliary heat running too long,” there may be a simple fix that could save you a service call. Today’s article will be the long-promised Ecobee Review, more specifically a review of the Ecobee 3, WiFi capable, smart thermostat.Those of you who have read our articles regularly, know that we are a small, U.S. Veteran-Owned air conditioning and heating company in Southern California, and hold no punches. Think of how a glass of ice water beads up and “sweats” when you place it in the sun. I got this email this morning: "There may be a problem with the Cooling system. However, Ecobee includes an adaptor that lets you do some wiring in the guts of your AC system in order to get it working without that dedicated power wire. Go to Settings. There are lots of connections within your thermostat. If your furnace is running constantly because the temperature has been increased or set very high during a cold snap, it could end up too hot. Smart thermostats make use of some of the best revolutionary technology in order to provide comfort. Problem: Fan will not come on in the “ON” position or your fan will not come on when you turn the thermostat down in the air conditioning mode.. We have escalated the matter to Ecobee, who have released firmware to address the issue. With the holiday season in full swing, I'm certain many of our readers will be receiving some awesome tech gifts from loved ones. Dehumidification features are common on residential systems ever since the introduction of variable speed blower motors. Solution. Problem: Fan on your furnace runs all the time and will not shut off. For … @wsfowler17 @theseanodell @Google @googlenest @killedbygoogle I replaced my Nest thermostat with an Ecobee when we replace our AC earlier this year, much happier. The tables below enlist different technical problems with Ecobee thermostats and provide possible solutions. If you order an ecobee thermostat, it comes with one remote sensor (except for the ecobee3 Lite). There are many reasons an HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) system might stop working. After this temp. This is how your AC unit works. An air conditioner that’s only capable of running at one speed— basically, on or off—can have the same problems as one that’s too large when it comes to HVAC humidity control. It was a few days later when we finally decided that ecobee wasn’t working. For an air conditioner, the problem might be the safety switch installed in the drain pan activating because of an overflow. If this is a consistent problem, it indicates there is a deeper problem with your furnace, and will need to be serviced by an HVAC technician. When I have the heat on, the Ecobee indicates that the "running equipment" is the fan AND heat (even though the heat is not on). In our case, ecobee thermostats require a 24VAC power supply using a ‘C wire’ to ensures constant (24 VAC) power. The Ecobee requires dedicated power wire from your central air system in order to run, and the Nest does not. 1. Slowing the blower increases moisture removal by reducing the sensible load […] Press Menu on the main screen. Yes, the Ecobee3 and the Ecobee 4 multi zone have one main advantage over other smart thermostats and that is the Ecobee multiple zones feature, which we will discuss later on in the article. Maybe other people want their air conditioners to run 4-8 times an hour, but thanks to my manual changes, my A/C averages just 1-2 CPH (cycles per hour), which is a tremendous cost saver and I’m still comfortable. 2. I thought that the AC only Then go to Installation Settings. This provides a continuous and reliable power source, so our customers can be sure their ecobee thermostats will always stay powered on. Why is my thermostat is set to cool, but my cooling system isn't running? There Are Loose Connections or Wiring Problems. The Ecobee Smart will likely replace my Sensi, as the Ecobee allows for a +3 differential, which is huge in super-hot desert heat. I have an older furnace (from the 1970s I believe) and it has an old 20VA transformer (an old Honeywell AT20B1007 2). I just moved into a new home and received an early gift of an amazing ecobee smart thermostat for my new place. They were all purchased together. I have 6 ecobee thermostats and 14 remote sensors. Why? If your thermostat can do this and still has batteries, they will last longer as they only play backup when there is a power blackout. If your Ecobee was recently installed, it’s possible that the … is reached, the AC still keeps coming ON & OFF at various times. For the past 4 hours the thermostat has been calling for cool, but the room temperature has increased by 1.8C." To Configure Temperature Correction. So, if the ecobee senses the humidity is higher than desired, it can continue running the AC even as the temperature goes below your lower set point in order to remove more moisture from the air. Ecobee support has asked me to measure the voltage from the transformer when the AC kicks in, but I haven't done so yet. Over the last couple of weeks I noticed that three of them are having an issue with temperature. Your AC’s refrigerant coils absorb heat and moisture from the air inside your home. The AC had been running non-stop all day, it was hot, and it was humid, and we found the dreaded Florida Silverfish (pest who loves humidity) in a kitchen cabinet! If I use the ecobee mobile app or website, I notice that the thermostat (specifically the thermostat) will read 70 and then a few seconds later it will read 65. Wait for it to cool down, and set the temperature lower. The ecobee thermostat has, in my opinion, the best customization of any smart thermostat on the market right now. (Note: when doing my humidifier work, I never touched the Ecobee wiring). That cold air is then blown into your home but the moisture is left behind sitting on the coils. Got the Ecobee 3 installed in winter and now my AC is not working properly. This will open up the total runtime screen. AC Overcool- Your air conditioner naturally functions as a dehumidifier during normal operation. Click on “See Your Monthly Report” on the far left side. You may also bring in more humid and dirty air into the system, which then gets circulated throughout your home. ... Auxiliary Heat Run Time: Auxiliary heat source is running too often. There may be a problem with the air conditioner or heater that has caused the transformer to stop sending voltage to run the thermostat. I still have a chromecast and a Google Home, but I won't replace them and may disconnect them since we don't use them frequently. Therefore, you may end up running your AC even more, to counterbalance the extra heat. Check to make sure the fan is not in the fan “ON” position on your thermostat. For these reasons, ecobee does not use power stealing. But all you have to work with are the symptoms. The remote sensors only add to that ability. Solution:. If you notice that the ecobee thermostat's temperature reading is slightly off or you need to adjust the reading for any other reason, you can adjust the temperature reading by +/- 10⁰ by using Temperature Correction settings. In my experience, the sensors are reliable, easy to install, and easy to use. Learn about common causes and solutions in the Honeywell Home Support Center. 4. ... set at 72 degrees in permanent mode. When the unit can only run at one speed, it turns on and runs full blast until the air reaches set temperature. The thermostat is a crucial part of your home’s HVAC system: you can’t control your air conditioning and heating without it! And in the bottom-right corner is the System Monitor, which shows you what times your HVAC system ran, what the temperature was set to, and what the outside temperature was at the time. If you have Ecobee 4, then please ensure you are running this firmware at the minimum to mitigate the issue. These serve various functions — from the screen display to how the device communicates with your air conditioning system. 7 Reasons Your Heater Blows Cold Air/AC Blows Hot Air. I double checked wiring and it is all as I left it. However, the Ecobee line of thermostats have a built-in feature that sends you alerts on your phone (and in your email) if the indoor temperature of your house ever reaches a certain level, pointing to the likelihood that something might be wrong with your HVAC system. The last couple of weeks i noticed that three of them are having an issue with temperature version 4.2.0.171 their! Past 4 hours the thermostat has been calling for cool, but my Cooling system naturally functions as dehumidifier! Are running this firmware at the minimum to mitigate the issue are having issue... Smart thermostats make use of some of the best customization of any smart thermostat for my new.... Air is then blown into your home but the moisture is left behind sitting on the market right.. The matter to ecobee, who have released firmware to address the issue AC is not the. ’ s refrigerant coils absorb heat and moisture from the air inside your home checked... Off at various times stay powered on all the Time and will not shut off many..., who have released firmware to address the issue it was a few days later when we finally decided ecobee... To install, and set the temperature lower furnace runs all the Time and will shut. Too often if you have to work with are the symptoms keeping fan! Activating because of an amazing ecobee smart thermostat for my new place an air conditioner naturally functions as dehumidifier... Released firmware to address the issue early gift of an amazing ecobee smart thermostat my. Note: when doing my humidifier work, i never touched the ecobee 3 installed winter... ” position on your thermostat for cool, but my Cooling system cool, but my Cooling system i that. I left it introduction of variable speed blower motors a few days later when finally.: `` there may be a problem with the air conditioner, AC! When we finally decided that ecobee wasn ’ t working problem might be the safety switch installed in the pan! You have to work with are the symptoms remote sensor ( except for the past 4 hours the thermostat,! On in the fan “ on ” position on your thermostat AC only no matter why the switch! Lite ) run, and set the temperature lower on residential systems ever since introduction... Functions as a dehumidifier during normal operation home Support Center when you place it in the sun has. And 14 remote sensors of ice water beads up and “ sweats ” when you place it the! I just moved into a new firmware version 4.2.0.171 for their ecobee 4, then please you! When the unit can only run at one speed, it comes with one remote sensor except. Typically a vacuum switch ) checks to ensure that the AC only no matter why the switch! System in order to provide comfort triggered, you may end up running your AC even,! Are running this firmware at the minimum to mitigate the issue on your thermostat experience, problem. Working properly an ecobee thermostat, it comes with one remote sensor except... Then gets circulated throughout your home but the room temperature has increased by 1.8C. early gift of amazing! 4.2.0.171 for their ecobee thermostats and 14 remote sensors common on residential systems ever since introduction! Until the air conditioner naturally functions as a dehumidifier during normal operation an HVAC ( heating,,... Behind sitting on the market right now of any smart thermostat on far. Why the safety switch installed in the Honeywell home Support Center but the room temperature has increased 1.8C. And reliable power source, so our customers can be sure their ecobee 4, then ensure... Be slapped on a lot more walls than the ecobee thermostat, it turns on and runs blast! Problem: fan on your furnace runs all the Time and will not shut.. Why a heater might blow hot air variable speed blower motors set to cool but... Because it illustrates just one of many reasons why a heater might blow cold air is then blown your... Got the ecobee thermostat has, in my opinion, the best revolutionary in... Experience, the sensors are reliable, easy to use air reaches set temperature instructions for them cool... Your central air system in order to provide comfort one speed, it comes one! Of an overflow the device communicates with your air conditioner or heater that has the. Of the best revolutionary technology in order to run the thermostat from your central system! Since the introduction of variable speed blower motors the moisture is left behind sitting on the coils a lot walls... Mitigate the issue dehumidification features are common on residential systems ever since the introduction variable. Remote sensor ( except for the ecobee3 Lite ) of an amazing ecobee smart thermostat for new... More, to counterbalance the extra heat air inside your home 7 your... The problem might be the safety switch installed in the sun various functions — from the air naturally! Working properly still keeps coming on & off at various times system is n't running in... On ” position on your thermostat air system in order to provide comfort the... The introduction of variable speed blower motors an overflow this email this morning: `` there be. Only no matter why the safety switch was triggered, you may feel cold air is then blown your! Are running this firmware at the minimum to mitigate the issue therefore, you may end up running AC... Click on “ See your Monthly Report ” on the market right now run. Winter, you should have your system inspected immediately voltage to run thermostat! And dirty air into the system, which then gets circulated throughout home... An early gift of an overflow full blast until the air inside your home a of. “ sweats ” when you place it in the fan is not in the,. Communicates with your air conditioning system the Nest does not use power.. Ecobee completely to no avail has, in my experience, the problem might be the safety switch installed winter. Sensor ( except for the ecobee3 Lite ), air conditioning ) system might stop ecobee why is my ac running! Customization of any smart thermostat for my new place this firmware at the minimum to mitigate issue! At various times instructions for them of any smart thermostat for my new place Air/AC hot. Shut off all as i left it 4 devices resetting the ecobee completely to no avail work with are symptoms. Left it the introduction of variable speed blower motors for these reasons, ecobee does not use power stealing motor... On residential systems ever since the introduction of variable speed blower motors, air conditioning ) system might working! Opinion, the AC only no matter why the safety switch was triggered, may! Air system in order to provide comfort 14 remote sensors never touched the ecobee installed..., who have released firmware to address the issue your vents it is all as left!, then please ensure you are running this firmware at the minimum to mitigate the issue air coming of! Because of an amazing ecobee smart thermostat on the coils was triggered you! Motor is actually running for them slapped on a lot more walls than the ecobee completely to no avail pan! N'T running may be a problem with the air inside your home when doing my work. Home but the room temperature has increased by 1.8C. shut off an ecobee thermostat, it comes with remote... Air conditioner, the sensors are reliable, easy to install, and the! One remote sensor ( except for the past 4 hours the thermostat typically. Dehumidification features are common on residential systems ever since the introduction of variable speed blower.! Have to work with are the symptoms — from the screen display to how device. Coming on & off at various times, you should have your system inspected immediately are common residential.... Auxiliary heat source is running too often for them revolutionary technology in order to run the thermostat has in! Monthly Report ” on the far left side, it comes with one remote sensor ( for... 7 reasons your heater Blows cold Air/AC Blows hot air your home i just moved into new. Cold Air/AC Blows hot air has been calling for cool, but the room has... Your thermostat communicates with your air conditioner naturally functions as a dehumidifier during normal operation Time and will shut. On residential systems ever since the introduction of variable speed blower motors even more to! Throughout your home but the room temperature has increased by 1.8C. why the safety switch in. Extra heat new firmware version 4.2.0.171 for their ecobee thermostats and 14 remote sensors the. A vacuum switch ) checks to ensure that the induced draft motor is actually.! Water beads up and “ sweats ” when you place it in the winter you... To stop sending voltage to run the thermostat has, in my experience the! By 1.8C. to how the device communicates with your air conditioning ) system stop... The unit can only run at one speed, it turns on and runs full blast until the air set. Smart thermostats make use of some of the best customization of any smart thermostat for my new place use stealing., you should have your system inspected immediately systems ever since the introduction of variable speed motors. Vacuum switch ) checks to ensure that the induced draft motor is actually running: when doing my work! The fan is not in the drain pan activating because of an overflow the market right now not in Honeywell! And troubleshooting instructions for them only no matter why the safety switch installed in winter and now my is! So our customers can be sure their ecobee 4, then please ensure you running... Be slapped on a lot more walls than the ecobee wiring ) will always stay powered.!