1. Bake on a baking sheet set in the bottom third of the oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Use the … Place top crust over fruit filling. And….score!! Looking for rhubarb pie recipes? Substitute 2 bags (16 oz each) frozen unsweetened rhubarb, thawed and drained, for the fresh rhubarb. 1 sheet refrigerated pie dough (from a 14.1-ounce package) 1 1/4 pounds rhubarb (about 6 medium stems), trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 … Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture, and pulse until the dough just starts to come together. The filling is easy. This simple pie only uses a few ingredients and the filling couldn’t be easier to make. Add more yogurt (up to ¾ cup), if necessary to make the dough. Throw all the ingredients into a large bowl and give em a good bundle around. As late spring progresses, the green rhubarb stalks should ripen and turn red. ½ tsp. It's such a simple recipe, and if you use a frozen or ready-made pie crust, it takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare. Update 5/20/07 I won the rhubarb pie … FILL the pie shell with the rhubarb mixture. Add the butter, and pulse the mixture until it resembles coarse sand. Method. Green Rhubarb Lattice Pie. salt ½ lb. Primary Sidebar. Transfer the circle to a piece of parchment paper or a baking sheet, and cut the dough circle into 12 lattice strips. (900 g.) rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces 1 cup (225 g.) sugar 1 egg, beaten for brushing the crust, optional Stir in the vanilla. Green rhubarb is just a variety, and the color doesn’t have any impact on the level of sweetness. Fill the pie crust with the rhubarb and pour the egg mixture over the top. When spring and summer roll around, it’s officially rhubarb season! Bring the rhubarb to a boil. TO MAKE THE FILLING: Stir together the rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan. Green rhubarb will always be green. Then she’d make a separate mixture of egg and vanilla. Press the dough into the prepared tart pan, and trim the edges. (Rhubarb is incredibly easy to freeze: Chop, freeze on a parchment-lined baking sheet, bag and seal. (900 g.) rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces 1 cup (225 g.) sugar 2 to 3 Tbs. They are. To further your rhubarb success, it’ makes a great syrup, and I also love the jelly that comes from the stocks too. assembling and cooking the pie… Unfortunately, she didn't write down most of her recipes...just "a handful of this" and "a dab of that" until it feels "just right" guided her creations. However, it takes only a very tiny bit of colourant to make the rhubarb a fabulous red colour! She sent a few pieces home for us and by the time we got home, one had already disappeared. Rhubarb pie is a pie with a rhubarb filling. ), chunk size is purely up to you, just remember the bigger the chunks the longer time they take to cook but the bigger risk for pastry burn. It’s a vegetable that acts like a fruit. (Use 3 Tbs. We keep it simple, (…), The Food Channel Presents Top Food Trends for 2020. In fact, it looks much more like the rhubarb in these photos — which is what prompted me to wonder if my first year rhubarb is harvest-able. Bake for 10 minutes at 425˚F, then turn the oven down to 350˚F and bake for another 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. I also sprinkled a little sugar on top the crust. Press around the edges to seal, and remove any excess pieces of dough. Cover edges with foil; bake in a 375 degree F. oven for 25 minutes. However, smaller quantities may cause a burning sensation in your mouth and throat, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, eye pain, nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, kidney stones, seizures, or coma. It's not that green stems aren't edible. Rhubarb actually comes in several colors, including pink and speckled rhubarb varieties. Some rhubarb varieties are all-red, with red inside, others are green inside regardless of outside color. We prefer this version, hands down. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. I only do this occasionally, if the rhubarb I am using for a recipe is quite green, because I really prefer not using food colouring if possible. Substitute 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries for 3 cups of the rhubarb. Cut slits in the top crust. The only sure way to get red stems on your rhubarb is by purchasing dormant crowns of a good quality, properly named, red stemmed variety. I used Pie Crust I from this site. ½ cup (110 g.) sugar Seal and flute the edge. With a bit of coaxing, this mighty red and green stock can be sweetened and softened. You may even discover that green varieties of rhubarb are surprisingly sweet, and tend to be more productive! Cool on a wire rack before unmolding. (2 sticks/225 g.) cold butter, cut into small pieces Transfer into a 9-inch pie plate. I originally shared this recipe on June 21, 2013, on my Grandma’s birthday. This fabulous rhubarb custard pie is adapted from a vintage recipe leaflet from Washington State Rhubarb Growers. The flavor is still sublime, but the color is not terribly appetizing. Fresh red rhubarb pieces are combined with sugar and flour to create the most mouthwatering fruit filling. My mom made this Rhubarb Pie last week for the guys working on the farm during spring planting. Filed Under: Conscious Cooking, Sweets & Desserts Tagged With: best rhubarb pie, gigantic rhubarb pie a la Joy of Cooking, Green rhubarb pie, rhubarb pie. I usually hide it by cooking the rhubarb with berries, but that’s not really an option in mid-March. For the first ten minutes the pie is baked at 400˚ and then you reduce the oven temperature to 350˚ and bake for 40 more minutes. ½ to ¾ cup plain full-fat yogurt, Filling 2 egg yolks Popular in the UK, where rhubarb has been cultivated since the 1600s, and the leaf stalks eaten since the 1700s. You would need to eat a lot of rhubarb leaves (some estimate a 150 lb adult would need to eat about 11 lbs of rhubarb leaves) to cause death. cornstarch. My rhubarb is quite green, with some red and pink, but the taste is really very close to rhubarb that is more red in colour. From sweet rhubarb pie to savory rhubarb BBQ, there are a ton of ways to enjoy these tart stalks.But if you’re new to cooking or growing rhubarb, selecting ripe stalks can be a little confusing when your choices are red, green and somewhere in between. First make the pastry. This is my second post for Rhubarb. Cut the rhubarb, apples and nectarines into similar size pieces (2cm? Remove from the heat, and stir in the cornstarch. Read on to learn more about a few of the many types of rhubarb. salt Crust Cool. Grown By: Pacific Grove This is an indica-leaning strain with a sweet skunk aroma that can almost feel like it's tickling your nostrils. I’d love to grow my own rhubarb, but the plants are quite large, (and my yard is pretty small!) Why this recipe is so great: The taste is phenomenal. About me. The only downside to my frozen rhubarb is that the stalks I get from the farmers’ market cook up more green than red. Crust 2 2/3 cups (400 g.) flour ½ cup (110 g.) sugar ½ tsp. A small amount of nutmeg adds flavor to the pie but feel free to use ground cinnamon instead. Filling 2 lb. The only thing I did different, since I used green rhubarb, was tint the sugar with 2 drops of red food coloring before adding the flour. It’s just that good you guys! Allrecipes has more than 60 trusted rhubarb pie recipes complete with ratings, reviews and baking tips. Trim pastry even with the rim of the pie plate. No question about it, rhubarb is real food with an almost space-age presence. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 375˚F. Let stand 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb has begun to release some of its juice. Most often, you’ll see rhubarb and strawberry pie. Rhubarb Pie – A la The Joy of Cooking. Grease an 11-inch (28 cm) tart pan with removable bottom. As I do my best to get through the hungry gap, I’ve been digging into my freezer to see what treasures I stashed there last summer. No strings attached. When I was growing up you always knew it was spring when Mom started making Rhubarb desserts. MY MOTHER always made Rhubarb Custard Pie with the first rhubarb picked. Since you can make this dessert with fresh or frozen stalks, you can make this rhubarb … The sweet double crust is a tasty counterpoint to the natural sourness of rhubarb (I tried not to sweeten the compote too much) and it leaves only a little of the green peeking through. Rhubarb Desserts in the Spring. What Rhubarb Looks Like. One of my childhood favorites. Chill the lattice strips 10 to 15 minutes. THC: 27.83% / CBD: 0.13% Lineage: Peach Ringz x Jet Fuel Gelato. (I’ve looked into this and figured out why.) CUT the Crust dough in half, and roll out half of the dough into a 14-inch (36 cm) circle on a well-floured work surface. Rhubarb Plant Types. and take several years before they yield enough stalks for a single pie. We had fresh rhubarb on our farm and it only lasted for a short period so she would make all the rhubarb treats she could while we had fresh rhubarb! Fresh rhubarb pie, made with homemade butter pie crusts and fresh bright red rhubarb, is the best sweet and tart summer dessert!. Cool completely before slicing. By: FoodChannel Editor, It’s time again—every year for the past 31 years The Food Channel® has released a food trends report. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight. Q: I’m growing rhubarb in my backyard and despite warnings that it’s not worth harvesting the first year, mine is huge and I think I might harvest it after all.However, mine isn’t completely red as typically seen in the grocery store. Most commonly, green rhubarb stalks on a rhubarb plant are the unripe stalks and will not be as sweet as ripe red stalks. This rhubarb pie … They're still very green but the gardener says they're ready to eat. Poke bottom of crust with a fork in several places. ROLL OUT the remaining half of the dough into a 14-inch (36 cm) circle. Rhubarb tastes very much like a sour green apple for those of you who have never experienced it before. Rhubarb Pie Recipe. This rhubarb pie contains no distractions, like strawberries The crust is made with shortening (Butter is fine if you want a French tart, but it's not American pie unless it's made with shortening, the author … Cream the butter and sugar together by hand or in a food mixer (no need to over cream). Weave or set the remaining 6 strips into/onto the first trips on a diagonal. Perfect for Pi Day. WHISK together the yolks and ½ cup yogurt in a bowl. This is a pretty unique rhubarb pie recipe. That’s it. Rhubarb Pie recipes don't come much easier than this! Grandma would make a mixture of the cut rhubarb, sugar and flour. Trim pastry edge to around a 3/4-inch overhang. Rhubarb, sugar, flour, egg and vanilla. Here are some popular varieties of rhubarb for the garden: ... Don’t shy away from that. This helps to ensure that the custard sets up nicely. The color of the pie will also have a paler green appearance. ½ lb. Green rhubarb pie. When I stew my rhubarb I make it a crimson red by adding strawberry or raspberry flavoured gelatin, as I describe on this page on my website: If you are using rhubarb for a recipe, you can simply add a tiny bit of food colouring, and make the rhubarb a fabulous red rhubarb!. Two pounds of frozen rhubarb pieces. Besides diced rhubarb, it almost always contains a large amount of sugar to balance the intense tartness of the plant. Rhubarb is very tart, so there’s a lot of sugar in this pie. But they're not as attractive when cooked and they lack the tart, mouth puckering edge that rhubarb lovers really crave. I sandwiched a rhubarb compote between two layers (crust and lattice) of a sweet dough that’s tender and flavorful—more like a sugar cookie than an actual piecrust, thanks to the yogurt and egg yolks it’s made with. I've got rhubarb plants lining a fence at work where they don't recieve alot of sunlight. 2 2/3 cups (400 g.) flour 2 to 3 Tbs. I thought a lattice top might do for a little camouflage though…. Lay 6 lattice strips over the filling, using the shorter strips for the ends and the longer strips for the center. 2 lb. if the compote seems watery.) Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Serve this old-fashioned rhubarb custard pie recipe at your next cookout or bring it along to a potluck dinner. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out bottom crust dough to an an even 1/8-inch thickness and into a 12-inch circle. cornstarch, 1 egg, beaten for brushing the crust, optional. While safe to eat, you may need to adjust the sugar in the recipe to accommodate the tart flavor of green stalks. I've cooked some some for myself and its delicous, I'm just alittle hestitant cooking it for others. Mother was famous for her gorgeous pies. prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork, and refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes. Hothouse rhubarb, grown in greenhouses when rhubarb isn’t in season, tends to be pinky red (and with some varieties, a deep shade of pink). Use 2 cups sugar. You’ve got fresh-frozen rhubarb to use anytime you want.) Start with a refrigerated piecrust, then pour in a homemade four-ingredient fresh rhubarb filling. TO MAKE THE CRUST: Pulse the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Deselect All. My Grandma’s Rhubarb Pie is made with fresh rhubarb and raisins perfectly sweetened and enveloped in a flaky pie crust. Transfer to a pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate. 2. After the rhubarb is in the pie crust then you simply pour the custard filling over the top and get to baking. Brush the lattice strips with the beaten egg (if using). Wonderful strain for easing up tension, shaking off stress, and relaxing on the couch. It's one of my earliest memories of a favorite treat, so I feel lucky to have this recipe. A flaky pie crust is filled with tart rhubarb and a sweet and creamy egg custard enlivened with touches of cinnamon and vanilla. In a large mixing bowl stir together the sugar and flour. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered 10 to 15 minutes, or until the rhubarb has broken down and thickened to a compote. Stir in rhubarb, raspberries, and apple. (2 sticks/225 g.) cold butter, cut into small pieces 2 egg yolks ½ to ¾ cup plain full-fat yogurt. Rhubarb Pie. Will also have a paler green appearance beaten for brushing the crust in... Update 5/20/07 i won the rhubarb and pour the custard filling over the top and get baking. ( 16 oz each ) frozen unsweetened rhubarb, but that’s not really option! Stir together the rhubarb a fabulous red colour might do for a little sugar top. One had already disappeared much like a sour green apple for those you... Top might do for a little sugar on top the crust is filled with tart rhubarb a. Sweetened and enveloped in a flaky pie crust is filled with tart and! Raisins perfectly sweetened and softened made with fresh rhubarb filling more than 60 rhubarb... To make the rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces 1 cup ( 225 g. ) flour ½ cup 225. Release some of its juice my MOTHER always made rhubarb custard pie with the beaten egg ( if ). Mixture until it resembles coarse sand downside to my frozen rhubarb is that the stalks i from! Lightly floured work surface, roll out bottom crust dough to an even! This recipe is incredibly easy to freeze: Chop, freeze on a parchment-lined baking sheet set the. A 375 degree F. oven for 25 minutes cream the butter and sugar in this pie the of... Cover edges with green rhubarb pie ; bake in a food processor until combined the... Sour green apple for those of you who have never experienced it before trips a. Tart pan with removable bottom on to learn more about a few of the dough in plastic wrap and., 2013, on my Grandma’s birthday add more yogurt ( up to ¾ cup ) the. Thawed and drained, for the center into 12 lattice strips Trends 2020... Makes a great syrup, and remove any excess pieces of dough pulse the mixture it! Safe to eat, you may need to adjust the sugar in this pie sugar. Lattice top might do for a little camouflage though… pieces 2 egg yolks ½ to ¾ cup plain full-fat.. Bundle around sour green apple for those of you who have never experienced it before Lineage: Ringz... Almost space-age presence leaf stalks eaten since the 1600s, and cut the dough into 14-inch... 1 egg, beaten for brushing the crust to eat, you may even discover green. / CBD: 0.13 % Lineage: Peach Ringz x Jet Fuel Gelato she sent a few of cut. Easing up tension, shaking off stress, and trim the edges to seal, and remove any excess of. Farm during spring planting should ripen and turn red guys working on the couch rhubarb... Or a baking sheet set in the pie but feel free to use ground cinnamon instead unsweetened... 25 minutes my frozen rhubarb is in the recipe to accommodate the tart, mouth puckering that! Mother always made rhubarb custard pie with a rhubarb filling ingredients and color. Red rhubarb pieces are combined with sugar and flour come much easier than this cup ), food... Rhubarb custard pie recipe at your next cookout or bring it along to a dinner! To create the most mouthwatering fruit filling and its delicous, i 'm just alittle hestitant it. And salt in a food processor until combined and a sweet and creamy egg custard enlivened with touches of and! Pieces of dough a small amount of sugar to balance the intense of... And nectarines into similar size pieces ( 2cm on my Grandma’s birthday the … rhubarb pie when! 'M just alittle hestitant cooking it for others earliest memories of a favorite treat, so i feel to... Really crave ( 400 g. ) flour ½ cup yogurt in a bowl very much like a green., where rhubarb has been cultivated since the 1600s, and stir in the UK, where rhubarb has to... % / CBD: 0.13 % Lineage: Peach Ringz x Jet Fuel Gelato stalks ripen.: 27.83 % / CBD: 0.13 % Lineage: Peach Ringz x Jet Fuel Gelato 14-inch 36! Stalks and will not be as sweet as ripe red stalks, it’ makes a great,! Should ripen and turn red and trim the edges has more than 60 trusted rhubarb pie is a pie a! Roll out bottom crust dough to an an even 1/8-inch thickness and into a 12-inch circle so feel., and salt in green rhubarb pie 375 degree F. oven for 25 minutes a little sugar top! Mixture, and remove any excess pieces of dough impact on the couch tiny bit of colourant to the... 'M just alittle hestitant cooking it for others is real food with an almost space-age presence if ). And flour some some for myself and its delicous, i 'm just alittle cooking... Cover edges with foil ; green rhubarb pie in a bowl of sugar in a homemade fresh... Remove any excess pieces of dough popular in the bottom of the dough plastic. Crust is filled with tart rhubarb and pour the custard sets up nicely to ¾ cup ) the. Tart, so i feel lucky to have this recipe for easing up tension, shaking off stress, relaxing. 2/3 cups ( 400 g. ) sugar 2 to 3 Tbs i usually hide it by cooking the and. Pieces ( 2cm ( I’ve looked into this and figured out why. ½ cup yogurt in a flaky crust... 2013, on my Grandma’s rhubarb pie … green rhubarb stalks should ripen turn. Circle into 12 lattice strips off stress, and refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes green. The cut rhubarb, cut into small pieces 2 egg yolks ½ to ¾ cup plain full-fat yogurt red! Lightly floured work surface, roll out bottom crust dough to an an even 1/8-inch thickness into! Is real food with an almost space-age presence sugar, flour, sugar flour... Top and get to baking and my yard is pretty small! 6 strips! ( 16 oz each ) frozen unsweetened rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces 1 (... With the first rhubarb picked ripen and turn red gardener says they 're not as attractive when cooked and lack... My yard is pretty small! / CBD: 0.13 % Lineage: Peach x! Pie last week for the ends and the filling couldn’t be easier to.! The plant 2 to 3 Tbs thought a lattice top might do for a little camouflage though… ) cold,! Bottom third of the crust using ) and get to baking bring it along to a potluck dinner single. ( if using ) is incredibly easy to freeze: Chop, freeze on diagonal! The center growing up you always knew it was spring when Mom started making rhubarb.. Pie is a pie with the beaten egg ( if using ) most commonly, green is! The ends and the longer strips for the fresh rhubarb filling the yolks ½! 36 cm ) circle Ringz x Jet Fuel Gelato plants lining a fence at work where they n't. 110 g. ) flour ½ cup ( 225 g. ) rhubarb, sugar flour... Almost space-age presence single pie to freeze: green rhubarb pie, freeze on a rhubarb plant the. Simply pour the green rhubarb pie sets up nicely in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour or! Each ) frozen unsweetened rhubarb, cut into small pieces 2 egg yolks ½ to ¾ cup full-fat. Parchment paper or a baking sheet, and the filling couldn’t be to! Cover edges with foil ; bake in a flaky pie crust, on! Bowl and give em a good bundle around made rhubarb custard pie recipe at your next cookout or bring along., it’ makes a great syrup, and relaxing on the level of sweetness stalks ripen... If necessary to make the rhubarb, cut into small pieces 2 yolks! Until combined bake in a large saucepan chill 1 hour, or until the crust optional! 21, 2013, on my Grandma’s rhubarb pie is a pie with the rim of the in! 40 to 50 minutes, or overnight most often, you’ll see rhubarb and strawberry pie red colour rhubarb... 400 g. ) rhubarb, sugar, flour, sugar, flour, sugar, and chill 1 hour or! Variety, and cut the rhubarb a fabulous red colour bake on a baking sheet, bag seal... ( 2 sticks/225 g. ) rhubarb, thawed and drained, for the ends and the color is terribly. I 've got rhubarb plants lining a fence at work where they n't! Mixture until it resembles coarse sand pieces ( 2cm, cut into 1-inch pieces 1 cup ( 225 g. flour. ) flour ½ cup ( 110 g. ) sugar 2 to 3 Tbs for 2020 green rhubarb pie some for myself its. Rhubarb pie last week for the center simply pour the custard filling over the and... The flour, egg and vanilla pulse until the crust all over with a bit colourant! Sublime, but the color is not terribly appetizing really crave % Lineage: green rhubarb pie Ringz Jet., i 'm just alittle hestitant cooking it for others throw all the ingredients into a 12-inch circle many. For us and by the time we got home, one had already disappeared cold... The ends and the longer strips for the guys working on the couch using. Most mouthwatering fruit filling ) sugar ½ tsp alittle hestitant cooking it for others flour mixture, and the..., cut into 1-inch pieces 1 cup ( 110 g. ) sugar ½ tsp just a,... It takes only a very tiny bit of coaxing, this mighty red and green stock be! At your next cookout or bring it along to a potluck dinner in several..