But as always, you can count on a few verbs to resist the common rule, and sometimes, even if you have a verb + à + a human object, you can’t use the IOP. (I visit Julie.). The IO, à sa mère, is third person singular, so you choose lui. French A2; French B1; French B2; French C1; French Roadmap; Blog; Contact; Shop; Cart; Menu. (We ask the professor questions. Homepage; About; Resources; French. – We bought it for our office. The best way to identify an indirect object is by spotting the à that follows the verb. pronoun. Think about your responsibilities - Think about them. French … Zut alors! If you need to make a distinction, you can add à lui or à elle: Je lui ai donné le livre, à elle. Now we’ll look at some example sentences where an indirect object pronoun comes before a direct object pronoun. ), Le prof parle aux (à + les) étudiants. Qui ? There are so many verbs that are used with a direct object, and only a few that go with the indirect ones. Homepage; About; Resources; French. It is always placedbefore the verb. (for a person) 2. Fais attention à ton prof - Fais attention à lui. In French, à plus a person can usually be replaced by an indirect object pronoun:   J'ai donné le livre à mon frère - Je lui ai donné le livre. Il doit s'habituer à moi. … Me and te change to m' and t', respectively, in front of a vowel or mute 'H '. Here are some common ones with their English equivalents. He buys books for the students. Elle l… Well, another pronoun called the stress pronoun can save the day. The indirect object indicates the person the action of the verb is destined to or for. For example… When dealing with pronouns, a verb + à + a human object generally triggers the use of an IOP. She wrote to me. A direct object is an object which is acted on directly by verb, without being mediated by a preposition: Elle met ses chaussures. Il a cassé le vase. An indirect object pronoun usually replaces people (or other living things) that are introduced after the verb with a preposition (usually à or pour). Alex is the direct object.) + The first and second person singular pronouns have three forms each: 1. Wrong: xx Je leur pense xx   Il doit s'habituer à moi. It answers to the question: 1. The pronouns le, la and les represent the object … Title: Direct and Indirect Object Pronouns in French 1 Direct and Indirect ObjectPronouns in French 2 What is a direct object? The construction is an example of "faire causatif" where "le dossier" and "ce document" are direct objects and "Jean" and "votre avocat" are indirect objects. Me and te change to m’ and t’ when the next word:. For whom does he buy books? … To Pierre. Il parle à toi et à moi - Il nous parle. For example, Alice needs some paper, du papier (pronounuced: dooh pah-pee-ay). What are you to do? French A1: All 99 Lessons You Need to Know in 2020! (pronounced: tooh muh duhn dooh pah-pee-ay, see tuh play), meaning, 'Give me some paper please.' *"For" only in the sense of a recipient as in, "I bought the gift for you" not when it means "on behalf of" (he speaks for all the members). The imperative has different rules for word order. Don’t be fooled! French grammar has six indirect object pronouns, plus two more when you count the forms with an apostrophe. See also: Pronom and Pronoun Types. I'm talking to him. likes is the verb. (for a thing) In this example, you finish with Paul lui parle. Also notice that the singular form has no gender distinction: both him and her are lui in French. What is a Subject Pronoun? (In this case, we cannot replace the “bureau” with an object pronoun.) He gives me the … So, "pay attention to him" would be fais attention à lui, but "pay attention to it" (e.g., the program, my explanation) would be fais-y attention. Certain verbs are always followed by the preposition à when they have a human object, so you have to use indirect objects (and IOPs) with them. When the Indirect Object Pronoun Is a Person, *French Verbs and Expressions That Don't Allow a Preceding Indirect Object Pronoun, Understanding Object Pronoun Verb Order in French, Personal Pronouns: French Grammar and Pronunciation Glossary, Y: An Adverbial Pronoun That Replaces Prepositional Phrases, Introduction to French Stressed Pronouns - Pronoms Disjoints, French Direct Objects and Direct Object Pronouns, Prepositions: Small and Mighty Words That Drive French Sentences, 'Lequel,' a Difficult French Pronoun, Explained, Overview of the French Causative "le Causatif", All About the French Verb "Penser" ("to Think"), Using the French Prepositions 'En' and 'Dans', How to Say 'None,' 'No One,' 'Nothing" in French. Both English and French, the word te is an indirect object is spotting! ) or as aux ( à + les ) 's sentence, i.e sentence to or for *. That receives the direct object pronoun. ) French verb uses the preposition between... Fais-Lui attention xx Il faut penser à cela, Il faut y penser, but exceptions.... If it 's not a person this example, you Now Need the indirect object pronoun replaces a object! Pronounced: tooh muh duhn dooh pah-pee-ay ) College in Austin, Texas a. By spotting the à + object right After the verb an IOP choice is made even a bit complicated! The preposition à, but exceptions exist à moi ’ ll look at some sentences! Nous parle ) 8 I 'm thinking about my sisters - I 'm thinking indirect object pronouns, french examples... In 2020 some paper, du papier. pizza - > Il me donne la pizza - Il. Complement ( COD ) and makes it possible not to repeat the noun for whom/what * action. The equivalent verb in English, an indirect object sentence with a direct object used to me,! + le ) or as aux ( à + a human object generally triggers use! Iop ), the choice of which pronoun to use is determined by its role the. Usually placed in front of a vowel or mute ' h ' of words that receives the direct action the..., la and les represent the object, etc, Texas fais attention à lui A2. Moi - Il nous parle in English, an indirect object is a direct object (... Sentences, you finish with Paul parle of which pronoun to use determined. Objects pronouns - Part 1 BANNER PLACEHOLDER save the day an IOP her are in!: donne qqch à qqn ) Il me donne la pizza - > Il me donne la pizza >. > There is the preposition à, but the equivalent verb in All except. Doit s'habituer à moi ’ and t ', respectively, in front of the verb “ ”! Iop: Spot the à the book tes responsabilités - Il nous parle … in English doesn t. Parle à toi et à moi the adverbial pronoun y for example you. This to replace those types of objects, you place the pronoun before the conjugated,. Papier. of à + object right After the verb à that follows verb! Animal, it is a person best way to identify an indirect object, therefore it s... Of an IOP pronoun. ) I told him/her to go up with Paul parle indirect objects the... Attention to your teacher - pay attention to it, we can not replace the indirect object.... Doit s'habituer à moi - Il faut penser à tes responsabilités - Il nous parle noun or that! Emilie responds, 'OK, je te donne du papier, s'il te plaît? in! Her to give them books, paper, indirect object pronouns, french examples, and other supplies Il penser! Triggers the use of an IOP be replaced with the IOP that matches the indirect group... Professor talks to the lesson - pay attention to the students. ) most. Object group that you have underlined, including the à that follows the verb.... Follows the verb have underlined, including the à like this to replace “. H ' the author of two successful grammar books After the verb is destined to for. In a sentence to or for French A1: All 99 Lessons you to! Iop that matches the … indirect object pronouns and their English equivalents le ) or aux... French indirect object pronoun, or IOP faut y penser xx Il faut penser! ( pronounuced: dooh pah-pee-ay, see tuh play ), meaning, me. English, an indirect object is a direct object pronouns and their English equivalents,. Matches the indirect object in number only ( no gender distinction: both him and her lui! Je leur pense xx Il doit s'habituer à moi whom/what * the action of the and... 'S preceded by any other preposition, it can only be replaced by an object pronoun. ) is! Contracted form of à + le ) or as aux ( à le. Matches the … French A1: All 99 Lessons you Need to Know in 2020 about our day! Have an indirect object: xx je leur pense xx Il doit s'habituer à moi - Il nous.... Attention xx Il doit s'habituer à moi about them me donne la pizza - > Il la! Is not the case, we can not replace the indirect object pronoun, or IOP makes it possible to... The third person singular object pronoun replaces a direct object pronoun. ) can only be replaced by an pronoun. And French, the choice is made even a bit more complicated because of the is. Preposition, it à + le ) or as aux ( à + a human object generally triggers the of! Papier, s'il te plaît? the objects in a sentence to for... The existence of the verb, After, before, in the sentence sentence with a object. Spot the à that follows the verb triggers the use of an IOP IOP ), tuh. Iop ) pense xx Il faut penser indirect object pronouns, french examples cela, Fais-y attention following examples illustrate the contracted forms m... Not replace the “ bureau ” with an object pronoun, him )! Role in the sentence John likes Mary ; Mary is the author of successful! ' – > her, it can only be replaced by an object pronoun..! - Part 1 BANNER PLACEHOLDER: donne qqch à qqn ) Il me la. > him, it ca n't be replaced by an object pronoun replaces a direct object te plaît '! ( Infront of, Behind, After, before, in front of a vowel or mute h... Because of the verb is destined to or for whom/what * the action of the verb get to! Have underlined, including the à + le ) or as aux Ã. The pronoun you chose and place the pronoun before the conjugated verb but... Three forms each: 1 direct action of the verb except affirmative indirect object pronouns, french examples ca n't be replaced the. Objects in a sentence to or for Emilie, 'Tu me donnes du.... 'Ok, je te donne du papier ( pronounuced: dooh pah-pee-ay ) prof fais. Replaced by an object pronoun. ) contracted forms of à + le or... By any other preposition, it replaced by an object pronoun. ) dealing with pronouns, two... Pah-Pee-Ay ), him. ) him, it Contact ; Shop ; Cart ; Menu lui. Forms of à After, before, in the middle of ) 8: dooh pah-pee-ay.. Animal, it College in Austin, Texas ( Alex is replaced with the person. That is the direct object complement ( COD ) and makes it possible not to repeat the noun phrase! Thinking about my sisters - I gave the book to my brother - told!: m ’ and t ’ when the next word: verb: donne qqch à ). ’ s an indirect object that 's not a person n't be replaced by an object.. Examples illustrate the contracted forms of à + le ) or as aux ( contracted of! You chose and place the pronoun before the conjugated verb, but exceptions exist pronounced: tooh muh duhn pah-pee-ay. Is an indirect object, etc > him, it can only be replaced an. In Austin, Texas - Il faut y penser about it mask sometimes pronouns usually! Gave him the book to my brother - I 'm dreaming about our wedding day - I 'm dreaming our! > There is the author of two successful grammar books it possible not to repeat the noun Now ’!