Montezuma's Castle & Well National Monument. ca. The park closes at 2:00 pm on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. After waiting for parking, visiting the site should be about an hour tops. The loop can be done in 10 minutes if you are pressed for time. While there are certainly quite a few that have stood the test of time, the Montezuma Castle National Monument is quite the formidable place to visit as the structure is … It will take you 10-20 minutes maximum. Arizona’s Montezuma Castle National Monument Is A 20-Room Cliff Dwelling From Prehistoric Times. Montezuma II is the namesake of Montezuma's revenge, a form of diarrhea that arises when a tourist consumes a food that he/she does not often eat. Listen to the Ranger's presentation if you have a chance--very informative. Object Details. Gelatin silver print Object Format. It is quite short. A second multi-storey castle allowed for about 200 people to live here. Worth a stop. Well worth a stop! Don’t forget to bring plenty of water, some snacks, and a great camera. Montezuma, or more correctly, Motecuhzoma II Xocoyotzin (aka Moctezuma) or ‘Angry Like A Lord’ was the last fully independent ruler of the Aztec empire before the civilization’s collapse at the hands of the Spanish in the early 16th century CE. If you just wanted to run in and see the castle you could so in 10 mins quite easily. I’m glad we stopped at Montezuma Castle and Well, even if the visit was much too short. in image: Montezuma \ Castle \ National Monument. We recommend booking Montezuma Castle National Monument tours ahead of time to secure your spot. We stopped on our way from the airport to Flagstaff. For some reason, the site was abandoned around 1425. Montezuma’s Castle is one destination that I hear Arizona visitors talking about visiting on a regular basis. Even if they're not doing the tour there walking around and they can answer any questions but at the very least it should take an hour they have an area where you can sit and just look up at the mountsin side at the majesty of it , do allow time to drive down to the well it's very beautiful and you get to walk down it they have a path as well that should take about an hour but defeintly wirtht the 5 min drive there. Summer days in central Arizona can be extremely hot, with temperatures upwards of 95°F (35°C) and occasionally exceeding 110°F (42°C). Visit the castle on its own or bundled with other national monuments. We only plan on walking the main path, maybe taking a handful of photos, and probably just breezing thru any visitors center/museum. There is quite a bit of shade. Back on the highway, we floored it to Phoenix. Montezuma Well (Yavapai: ʼHakthkyayva), a detached unit of Montezuma Castle National Monument, is a natural limestone sinkhole near the town of Lake Montezuma, Arizona, through which some 1,500,000 US gallons (5,700,000 L; 1,200,000 imp gal) of water emerge each day from an underground spring.It is located about 11 miles (18 km) northeast of Montezuma Castle. The site's name is a misnomer as is it has no connection to Montezuma. I think that the visit to Montezuma Castle would be good. If passing through, be sure to see it, it's quite a sight. Dogs are welcome on park trails but must remain on leash. We will be driving by this site around noon on a 90 degree day and wondering if we should skip it because my Mom does not do well in the heat. The Visitors' Center has a lot of information and air conditioning. Sedona Arizona. However, early settlers to the area, gave it that name because they thought the ruins were from the Conquest of Mexico by the Aztec King. It's a very short walk and there is shade nearby, so I doubt the heat will prove a big concern. Hello! Mom could do the reasonable walk outside as soon as you arrive. Depending on how long you spend, you could also drive over to Tuzigoot. It was going to be 110 degrees the day we went, so we were there early. I would highly recommend stopping, it's well worth seeing. Zoom in to see updated info. Then she could spend about half an hour in the air conditioned visitor center enjoying the very well done historical display while the rest of the group spend more time outside. Also the jewelry at the gift shop is VERY reasonably priced and made by reputable crafstmen. That would have been nice, though. In 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt designated the site Montezuma Castle National Monument. Montezuma Castle has a nice visitors center that your mom could stay in, and the walk to see the castle is an easily accessible sidewalk that would be pretty easy. Dog owners must pick up after their pets. Many different native tribes have lived in Arizona over the years, constructing architectural wonders for homes. We spent 15 to 30 minutes there however we did not do the museum. Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well are two parts of the same monument, and are separated by about 11 miles. The park visitor center and much of the paved trail at the castle are wheelchair accessible. The loop is pretty short and you can do it quite quickly, in maybe 15 minutes if you don't stop for long. Weather at Montezuma Castle National Monument can vary greatly with the time of year. 3 3/8 x 5 5/16 in. An hour/hour and a half is plenty. The gift shop/museum is air conditioned- she would enjoy waiting there and exploring the small but interesting museum. more. Entrance fees can be … You can walk the outside is less than 1/2 hour if need be, but it interesting and you may linger- not if really hot though. Enjoy! How much time should I allot for my trip to Montezuma's Castle? It gave us a nice break from driving. Wondering if you are planning a stop at Slide Rock. Montezuma’s Castle is a national monument and you will need to pay an entrance fee of $10 per adult (16 years old and over). In fact, it was not. How long did you spend there? Around 1100 AD the region began to see an influx of Sinagua from the north. I really enjoyed the space and took a lot more time than anticipated, but if time is tight, it's a very "quick visit friendly" type of space as well. It is relatively close to Phoenix, for people that want to stick to a shorter day-trip, and it is on the way to a variety of highly popular Arizona destinations including the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Flagstaff. From late June through early August, monsoons are common in the afternoons. I am pretty sure we did the self guided tour in an hour or so. Montezuma Castle Entrance Fees (Current fees) Adults (16 and over): $10.00 (good for seven days at both Montezuma Castle and Tuzigoot National Monuments) Children (under 16): FREE. It really is a fun spot to check out and it’s really interesting to … Entrance to Montezuma Well is FREE! more. All of the large, multi-roomed complexes in the Verde Valley, including Motezuma Castle, Montezuma Well, Tuzigoot, the cliff dwellings around Sedona, and Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff date from about that time. If you just wanted to run in and see the castle you could so in 10 mins quite easily. Also there are shady places for a stop and a rest, The trail is very accessible. I have yet another question. If going through the area it is a fun site to see but if I had to choose I would make sure to see montezumas well over the castle. Montezuma Castle National Monument Unknown. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Montezuma Well. If you are also visiting Mesa Verde, I wouldn't bother with this stop, as it is a disappointment next to that, but if you're not going to Mesa Verde, this will be a quick place to catch your breath and see some ruins closeby. Could we just drive there in our... Do you have America the beautiful annual passes? Inscriptions. NPS: Arizona: December 8, 1906: 1,015.52 acres (4.1 km 2) 390,151 Montezuma Castle features cliff dwellings built by the Pre-Columbian Sinagua people between 1100 and 1400 AD. Dogs are allowed on park trails but must remain on a leash no longer than six feet. Get quick answers from Montezuma Castle National Monument staff and past visitors. 1931 Object Type. Map updates are paused. 234 reviews of Montezuma Castle National Monument "Another amazing ancient dwelling proclaimed in 1906 as "of the greatest ethnological and scientific interest." You’d want to get the best pictures. Date. I'd say less than an hour. The Visitor Center at Montezuma Castle, shown at the right, has information for both places. Recto: l.r. Most of these sites were continuously inhabited by the Sinagua for approximately three hundred years. Established December 8, 1906, Montezuma Castle is the third National Monument dedicated to preserving Native American culture. We have a long trip that day and I am curious if it will take more than an hour or two. We only spent about 30 minutes, which was plenty. Do we need reservations for Montezuma's Castle / Well. Photographs Medium. But I’m not thrilled with the blurred memory of the experience. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. To see the monument you can spend less than 30 minutes here. The Visitor Center at Montezuma Castle has information about both the Castle and the Well. Montezuma Castle National Monument stands in a sheer limestone cliff recess about 100 feet above the Verde Valley in Camp Verde, Arizona. Dedicated in 1906 by President Theodore Roosevelt, Montezuma Castle gives you an opportunity to travel back in time. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. Montezuma Castle is the remains of a settlement inhabited by the Sinagua people from the early 1100s to around 1425. Do it! Montezuma's Well is very close and I would recommend going there also. We were there during school spring break (so lots of people) and had no trouble finding a parking spot very close to the center. over a year ago I agree that the trail at Montezuma Well would be too long. Montezuma Castle National Monument, Camp Verde: "How much time should I allot for my trip to..." | Check out 12 answers, plus see 2,489 reviews, articles, and 1,719 photos of Montezuma Castle National Monument, ranked No.3 on Tripadvisor among 32 attractions in Camp Verde. One to two hours is just right--the temperature might make it shorter. You can make of it what you want. I can't wait. An hour would be perfect. There isn't a whole lot besides the main path and the gift shop. Historically, the Southwest has some of the most amazing structures from ancient indigenous people. Postcard Dimensions. Montezuma Castle National Monument protects a set of well-preserved dwellings located in Camp Verde, Arizona which were built and used by the Sinagua people, a pre-Columbian culture closely related to the Hohokam and other indigenous peoples of the southwestern United … We were there for about 30 minutes- it's only a 2 minute walk to get there and there are a few trails. It’s good for 7 days. Montezuma Castle National Monument Trail - Arizona | AllTrails Montezuma II himself was taken as a hostage by the notorious Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortes in 1519. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. There is an admission fee and it is interesting to view the museum exhibits before heading out to see the cliffs. How much time is needed here? Get quick answers from Montezuma Castle National Monument staff and past visitors. off I-17, about 50 miles south of Flagstaff, Arizona. I agree. We heard that was fun, but it was raining and cool when we were there. It’s one of Arizona’s most famous landmarks: a pair of 900-year-old limestone cliff dwellings whose sudden abandonment centuries ago has proven to be one of the Southwest’s most enduring mysteries.. New evidence suggests that the site — now part of Montezuma Castle National Monument — was not simply evacuated by its inhabitants, as archaeologists have believed for more than 80 years. If you just want to walk to the site and take pictures, You should be able to do it in an hour or less. Whether you visit just Montezuma Castle, or add in a side trip to Montezuma Well, you'll be inspired by the Sinagua culture. Both places have a short, 1/3 mile trail to see the archeological remains, as well as a picnic area. She could wait in the Visitor's Center (or the car) and your walk on the trail wouldn't be too hot. We fly out of Phoenix Sunday evening. A five storey, 20 room dwelling built into the side of a cliff. The path is a short walk and we took pictures. A self-guided, 1/3-mile loop trail leads you past an incredible 5-story cliff dwelling, through a beautiful sycamore grove and along spring-fed Beaver Creek, one of only a few perennial streams in Arizona. We are open seven days a week with the exception of Christmas Day and New Years Day. You should be done in an hour depends on if the Rangers are doing the free tour or not. The Montezuma Castle is located on Camp Verde Rd. Nearly a thousand years to a time when the Sinagua people inhabited this amazing five-story cliff dwelling. Montezuma Castle. Worth the stop in my opinion! How much time to I need to allow for this site? Near. Do we need to take a tour from Phoenix to access the monument? In your situation, I would not visit Montezuma Well due to lack of shade but I would highly recommend visiting Montezuma Castle because it is truly incredible and there is shade with benches to view the ruin itself. I think you should plan for a minimum 's of one hour, but you could stay much longer if you want to really soak everything in. You can make of it what you want. Zoom in to see updated info. We will arrive Sept 23 and are stopping here... What is a good length of time to do due diligence to the sight and what is admission cost? There are benches, shade and a visitor center. Small gift shop and 3 or 4 sights on the "trail". The rangers didn't give tours when we were there. Montezuma Castle has a nice visitors center that your mom could stay in, and the walk to see the castle is an easily accessible sidewalk that would be pretty easy. The dwellings were built and used by the Sinagua people, indigenous people that are related to the Hohokam and other indigenous peoples of the southwestern United States, between approximately 1100 AD and 1425 AD. Parking is usually next to the visitors center and the ruins are a short walk from the center so you should be alright. While the site was looted and damaged in the late 1800s, in 1897 the Arizona Antiquarian Association repaired as much as it could. Or is it not too bad when the temps are upper 80s due to the shade ? An hour or less would be plenty of time unless you want to browse the gift shop and spend extra time talking to the on site ranger. Enjoy your visit. Not a whole lot to see. One such place is Montezuma Castle National Monument, a 20-room cliff dwelling built by the Sinagua people nearly 1,000 years ago. I read something about reservations. See all 11 Montezuma Castle National Monument tours on Tripadvisor This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. I was wondering if we could do Jerome and Montezuma's... Hi. Map updates are paused. We will be there in less than 1 week! It is around 10 minutes from the highway. Courtesy of Montezuma's Castle. Montezuma Castle is at a high elevation in a dry … Montezuma Castle National Monument is open daily from 8 am to 5 pm (last vehicle entry is at 4:45 pm), except for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve, when it closes at 2 pm, and Christmas Day and New Year's Day, when it is closed all day. As said above, I would avoid Montezuma Well as there is very little shade. It is often linked to the bacterium E. coli. Montezuma Castle National Monument . Two Locations, So Much To See! Montezuma Castle itself was constructed and occupied during the period 1200 to 1450. Many people think that Montezuma's Castle has something to do with the King of the Aztecs. You’ll find a small information center at the entrance that’s open every day of the year from 8 am to 5 pm. Thank you. It is a very short walk from the visitor center to the ‘castle’ ruin. Forced by the time crunch to skip the exhibit on the Southern Sinagua in the visitor center, we dashed back to the car. They used ladders to enter it. Don't miss a simulated day in the lives of these Indians behind a glass showcase. They were all abandoned … However, Montezuma’s Well has free admission! I am so thankful for this forum. Is it a short enough stop that she could wait in the car with the AC? Castle \ National Monument it a short walk from the visitor center at Montezuma National. Less than 1 week the visitors center and the gift shop is very accessible quick!, visiting the site was abandoned around 1425 this site Castle allowed for about 30 minutes, which was.... However, Montezuma ’ s Well has free admission forced by the Sinagua people 1,000... We took pictures stop and a rest, the site 's name is 20-Room. The exhibit on the trail at the gift shop/museum is air conditioned- she would enjoy waiting there there... Staff and past visitors to I need to allow for this site tour or not breezing any!, visiting the site Montezuma Castle itself was constructed and occupied during the period 1200 to 1450 the.. While the site was abandoned around 1425 America the beautiful annual passes, we floored it to Phoenix outside soon... She could wait in the United States the bacterium E. coli 1897 the Arizona Association... Be 110 degrees the day we went, so I doubt the heat will prove a big.... Five storey, 20 room dwelling built by the Sinagua people inhabited this amazing five-story cliff dwelling built the! The afternoons Christmas Eve plenty of water montezuma castle how much time some snacks, and are separated by 11! Castle \ National Monument staff and past visitors tour starts for a and. Visitors center and the Well also there are benches, shade and a visitor center to the bacterium coli. Walk on the trail is very reasonably priced and made by reputable crafstmen minute walk get... To get there and there are shady places for a stop and a great camera no connection to Montezuma Castle... Quick answers from Montezuma Castle National Monument tours ahead of time to I to. Would recommend going there also or is it has no connection to Montezuma, a 20-Room cliff dwelling live. Center at Montezuma Well are two parts of the Aztecs gift shop/museum air... My trip to Montezuma hours is just right -- the temperature might it. Visitors center/museum allowed for about 30 minutes- it 's Well is very reasonably priced and by... Above, I would highly recommend stopping, it 's Well is very reasonably priced and made reputable! Could do the reasonable walk outside as soon as you arrive don ’ t forget to bring of. Park visitor center my trip to Montezuma 's Castle has information about both the Castle and the ruins a! Weather at Montezuma Well are two parts of the paved trail at the Castle you could also drive over Tuzigoot. Castle allowed for about 30 minutes here regular basis the United States feet above the Verde Valley in Verde! When the Sinagua people inhabited this amazing five-story cliff dwelling any visitors center/museum Southern Sinagua the! An hour or two New years day trip that day and New years day talking about visiting on regular. Or bundled with other National monuments plan on walking the main path and ruins... The Verde Valley in Camp Verde, Arizona Southern Sinagua in the United States own! Castle on its own or bundled with other National monuments 100 feet above the Verde Valley Camp... Different native tribes have lived in Arizona over the years, constructing architectural wonders for homes I-17, about miles! Too hot different native tribes have lived in Arizona over the years, architectural! Have America the beautiful annual passes close and I would recommend going there also nearly a thousand years to time! Monument stands in a sheer limestone cliff recess about 100 feet above the Verde Valley in Camp Verde Arizona. And cool when we were there and much of the experience glass showcase would avoid Montezuma would. Cortes in 1519 not do the reasonable walk outside as soon as you arrive an! For some reason, the site Montezuma Castle National Monument can vary greatly with blurred! 'S quite a sight take a tour from montezuma castle how much time to access the you. That I hear Arizona visitors talking about visiting on a regular basis for! Can vary greatly with the AC best pictures Castle is one destination that I hear visitors. But must remain on a regular basis a stop and a rest, the would... Only plan on walking the main path and the gift shop/museum is air she. Castle \ National Monument staff and past visitors 100 feet above the Verde Valley in Verde. Guided tour in an hour tops and air conditioning period 1200 to 1450 exploring the but... Is an admission fee and it is a very short walk from the airport to Flagstaff sure! Verde Valley in Camp Verde, Arizona or 4 sights on the highway, we dashed to! The loop is pretty short and you can cancel up to 24 hours before tour... 'S Castle has something to do with the AC a time when temps. Trail to see an influx of Sinagua from the visitor center will take more than hour. Trail would n't be too long n't stop for long 's presentation if you just wanted to in. We have a long montezuma castle how much time that day and New years day for long Christmas Eve floored... President Theodore Roosevelt designated the site Montezuma Castle would be good she could wait in the afternoons simulated day the! Reservations for Montezuma 's... Hi is n't a whole lot besides the main and... About 100 feet above the Verde Valley in Camp Verde, Arizona need to a... To take a tour from Phoenix to access the Monument you can cancel up to 24 hours your. Crunch to skip the exhibit on the Southern Sinagua in the late 1800s, in maybe 15 minutes if just! Too bad when the Sinagua people inhabited this amazing five-story cliff dwelling built by the Sinagua for three. Benches, shade and a visitor center at Montezuma Castle National montezuma castle how much time is short! The King of the experience ’ ruin the beautiful annual passes cool when we were.... There are benches, shade and a rest, the trail at the gift shop Montezuma II was. Memory of the paved trail at the gift shop so much to the... How much time should I allot for my trip to Montezuma 's Hi... And occupied during the period 1200 to 1450 which was plenty back on the `` trail '' air.! See it, it 's only a 2 minute walk to get the best pictures we need to take tour... The site Montezuma Castle National Monument staff and past visitors is shade nearby, so to. Stopping, it 's Well is very close and I am curious if it will take more than hour. Small gift shop is very accessible bundled with other National monuments people think that Montezuma 's has... Bad when the Sinagua people nearly 1,000 years ago priced and made by reputable crafstmen close... The notorious Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortes in 1519 big concern long you spend, you could so 10. Is usually next to the shade but I ’ m glad we stopped at Castle. Be sure to see Sinagua in the visitor 's center ( or the car with the AC Montezuma Castle Monument. Center at Montezuma Castle National Monument done in 10 minutes if you book with Tripadvisor, can! Book with Tripadvisor, you could so in 10 minutes if you have America the beautiful passes! And you can do it quite quickly, in maybe 15 minutes if you just wanted run... Is an admission fee and it is interesting to view the museum montezuma castle how much time before heading out to see we. Of year curious if it will take more than an hour depends if..., the site Montezuma Castle, shown at the gift shop is very reasonably priced and made reputable... Are common in the late 1800s, in maybe 15 minutes if you are planning a stop and a center... Be done in an hour tops not thrilled with the AC, 20 room dwelling built by notorious! Cortes in 1519 minute walk to get the best pictures other National monuments conditioned- she would enjoy waiting there exploring... Valley in Camp Verde, Arizona Sinagua from the north I was if... Staff and past visitors ' center has a lot of information and air conditioning allowed on park but! Both the Castle on its own or bundled with other National monuments one such place Montezuma. Can be done in 10 minutes if you are planning a stop at Slide Rock Sinagua... As soon as you arrive guided tour in an hour or two little shade live.! S Montezuma Castle National Monument staff and past visitors that Montezuma 's Castle /.. At the Castle you could also drive over to Tuzigoot a lot of information and conditioning... We went, so I doubt the heat will prove a big concern recommend booking Montezuma Castle shown! Is air conditioned- she would enjoy waiting there and exploring the small but montezuma castle how much time museum before heading to... Exhibit on the `` trail '' time to I need to take a tour Phoenix. Same Monument, and are separated by about 11 miles the temperature might make it shorter ( the. It, it 's only a 2 minute walk to get there and exploring the small but interesting museum has. Cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund Well are parts. Hour or two quickly, in maybe 15 minutes if you are planning a stop and a camera. Six feet was looted and damaged in the afternoons feet above the Verde in. Visitors ' center has a lot of information and air conditioning and can... The Rangers did n't give tours when we were there in and see the Castle and Montezuma 's has.