An Adventure Projects staff member will review this and take an appropriate action, but we generally don't reply. 14.7mi, Awesome drops and big jumps 2,005' Down The new mountain biking trail, rated intermediate, begins at the Lower Porcupine Singletrack parking area, and winds through pinyon pine forest in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. North Beaver Mesa to Porcupine Rim: the trail from North Beaver Mesa to the top of Fisher Mesa (and the Bull Draw Kokopelli Campsite) is graveled and passable by any type of vehicle. Dirtbikes too, but they are not nearly as much of a problem as they are courteous and most know what they are doing. While the 4x4 is an exhausting, bone-rattling descent, the singletrack has huge views, cliffside exposure, and extreme tech - a ride of a lifetime! 17km up to the trailhead around 25km of trail and 8km to return downtown. 6h 30m, 14.5mi Trail reports are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a trail. These trails combined make one of the most epic adventures that come to mind. 17mi, Absolutely amazing! Trail Rating System. no reports have been added for Lower Porcupine Rim 4x4 Dead End yet, add a trail report. Granted there were no stunts or technical riding but the trail was a great ride. Many take the trail just to get a picture of their side x side on “Picture Rock” which protrudes out over the 1,500 drop off into Castle Valley. This is the best trail in the world if you ride it from the cattle gate. Difficulty Rating 5 (old 3.5) Scenery There are canyon's edge views into little-visited Negro Bill and Rill Canyons. 10mi, Intensive, amazing views and adventurous Get the shuttle from Poison Spider and get the driver to take you up to the Hazard County Trail Head. I analyze the Kokopelli, UPS (Upper Porcupine Singletrack), LPS (Lower Porcupine Singletrack), and Porcupine Rim trails for 18 miles from the shuttle drop-off at the top of Kokopelli to the Colorado River. Immediately next to the Cattle Grate the "UPS" starts. Get the shuttle offered through Poison Spider bike shop. A couple of us had ridden Porc 5 or 6 yrs ago and we didn't remember the bottom end of it being as rough as it is now. Some spot's have a big drop off the edge that will result in injury. The trail is brown ribbon single track with a small but steep climb in the beginning (maybe 400'?) 1015.44 m Down, 14.4 mi After this point the trail departs from the dirt road and becomes a single track suitable only for mountain biking and hiking. 782' Up The local bike shop ( poison spider or chile pepper ) told us about the shuttles up to the trailhead for 25.00. Porcupine Rim Trail This trail leaves the graded Sand Flats Road not far beyond the Slickrock Bike Trail and soon rides a ledge above Negro Bill Canyon. As many mountain bikers could attest to, Porcupine Rim Trail in Moab, Utah is one of the most challenging and surely satisfying trails in the world. It is the uppermost trail of what will be the “Raptor Route,” designed as an alternate ending to the popular Whole Enchilada mountain biking route. 11mi. I paid $20 bucks and it was the same to be dropped off either at Porupine or get the additional 6 miles of sweet dirt single track. 1h 57m, The most epic ride that I’ve ever done (granted, this is only my 5th ride on my mountain bike, but STILL). 611.44 m Up 11.5mi, Rode LPS to porcupine rim, had a blast. Turn right (toward Moab) on this road. — 29.2 km 14.7mi, Awesome Trail! Reviews. 16.9mi — At the bottom of the hike-a-bike you connect to "Porc Rim!" The scenery is unbelievable! That part is easy. The main bike trail is about 18KM long with a gentle -5% grade. 2h 20m, 1st annual-Sweet trail. Linked Hazard County to Kokopelli to UPS to Porcupine Rim. Someone has tell the cross country nerds that clipless pedals and spandex aren't the end all and be all of cycling! The trailhead is located in the Sand Flats Recreation Area about 8 miles (12.9 km) past the Slickrock trailhead. I've seen people do the trail backwards but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really like climbing. I'm surprised that there aren't any newer posts on this trail. I am lazy and start from the trailhead so I can spend time with the fam in the afternoon. From the top follow the trail down, to the North towards Castle Valley. — 1,500 feet below is Castle Valley with its prominent buttes, Castle Rock, Priest and the Nuns, and Round Mountain. • 645' Down — The UPS will lead right into the "Porcupine Rim trail." I checked reviews on here about a few trails and settled on slick rock and porcupine rim trails for our 2 day trip. Just went a few weeks ago for my first time to Moab. 424.69 m Down, 10.8 mi I'm not saying this to discourage anyone from riding this historic Moab classic, but to bring attention to the continuing efforts of a minority of riders to "improve" this trails flavor, slowly bringing it's original spicy personality down to fit their bland tastes. Ideally, you'll shuttle up into the La Sal mountains as high as the weather allows, hopefully being able to do The Whole Enchilada. The trail is amazing! The rating (3) is for Hazard County, not Porcupine. 4h 30m, Kokopelli to town It is also an insane, hold onto your hats, crazy downhill ride with drop offs in excess of two feet. The trail begins at a spring fed water tank beside the Sand Flats road about 9-1/2 miles from Moab and drops down to a ledge above Negro Bill Canyon. East of Moab, the Porcupine Rim Trail is a extremely rugged, rocky 14 mile (one-way) route. Much better than the drunken, helmetless, mesh hat wearing, Skoal-chewing, 50+lbs overweight ATV riders you’ll find scratching their heads at the bottom of a nice drop line. Go as early as you can and bring all the water! All downhill. Hazard County just legally opened and it adds about 6 miles of awesome dirt single track. This trip to Moab would include a ride that starts about 6 miles up from Slickrock–Porcupine Rim Trail. 1h 49m, Long day on an epic trail. 17.7 km Part of Whole E. Difficult rock sections but super fun. The Porcupine Rim Trail is the "other" famous classic ride at Moab. You can do it! I still enjoy this trail, and for the most part I encourage anybody who hasn't ridden it to do so because it is a thrilling trail, BUT it's only a fading shadow of it's former reputation. Porcupine Rim Trail is best enjoyed as a 16 mile one-way shuttle ride. Being from Whistler, BC this was the best trail we rode on our trip. Review. There's no reason not to - it's no more climbing (infact less) and it's more single track. Long gradual climb, well-maintained trail, dramatic canyon views, lots of mountain bikes Not highly recommended. 14.7mi 1,500 feet below is Castle Valley with its prominent buttes, Castle Rock, Priest and the Nuns, and Round Mountain. 4h 00m, Love ups, lps, and hazard. This trail is Fantastic, Brutal and Mental, if you or your bike is not 100% in top form, you should give this trail a wide berth!! They are rideable on a 4" travel 29er but the only time I have cleaned everything on Porc was on a 7" bike, and I didn't make it out of … We headed along a single track trail that goes over some smooth rocks in the trail to a rim cliff. The ride is best done as a point-to-point, starting at Sand Flats Road which will help minimize the climbing and maximize the downhill. Porcupine Rim Whole Enchilada Moab – Mountain Biking Trail Analysis For Intermediates. 14.7mi Difficulty Rating: Intermediate; Best For: A multiday bikepacking adventure; If you’re looking for a different kind of challenge filled with desert vistas reminiscent of the Wild West, the impressive White Rim Trail—a 100-mile loop that traverses Canyonlands National Park high on a plateau between the Green and Colorado rivers—fits the bill. 21.3mi See 2 traveler reviews, 11 photos and blog posts Once the trail lets out on the highway, it is not a very long ride back in to town. The brown single track cut in the grass is a welcome break from the red rock ledges the rest of your time will be spent on at Moab. The trail is up in the La Sals, right before an outcropping of Aspen trees and peaceful grass fields. We also offer private shuttles for the San Juan Hut systems, Kokopelli Trail, and Regional Airports. Porcupine Rim starts with a pedal up from Sand Flats road on two track to the top an intersection with LPS. • Hazard County starts where the van drops you off (grey gravel lot) and look for the bridge. At 15.6 miles, requiring expert technical skills, this ride is for advanced bikers who are in good shape. This 14.4-mile trail is ridden one way with shuttle service or as a 30.8-mile loop. Its a short climb to the top. The UPS runs right into the Lower Porcupine Singletrack that is marked on the maps. Review. 9h 30m. Turn right (up) and follow Sandflats to the Cattle Grate. Mountain biking the infamous Porcupine Rim trail in Moab Utah, following Kyle Mears and Botsy Phillips. — 3,331' Down This trail is Fantastic, Brutal and Mental, if you or your bike is not 100% in top form, you should give this trail a wide berth!! Fast dirt singletrack was amazing. 5.0 View maps, videos, photos, and reviews of Porcupine Rim bike trail in Moab. — 1h 50m, Great ride with my friend Robb Continue downhill on the "Kokopelli Trail". For the Porcupine Rim Trail, Porcupine 4×4 Trail and other trails, please refer to the visitors guide map. 3h 00m, so epic!! It ends at LaSal Mountain Loop (Paved Road). The Porcupine Rim was also nominated as last years Mountain Madness 2008 Best Trail in the USA. Mountain Bike Trails in Moab Utah, Bicycle Shuttle Service, Porcupine Rim, LPS, MAG-7, Falcon Flow, Shuttle Service Drop off Pick up $25 per rider per bike 1,644'... if you like chunky downs! It is pretty narrow dirt single track through grass, brush and trees. Loved it! 196.64 m Down. (DON'T MISS THIS TRAIL) The trail builders did a fantastic job! This time we were dropped off at the Hazard County point. The only downside is that this trail is popular with ATV’s and Jeeps. Cart road to technical sigle track. 781' Down Porcupine Rim has a handful of test-piece challenges, particularly on the singletrack, that will confound the best riders on the planet. NOT OKAY! The Porcupine Rim Trail, located near Moab, Utah, is a popular mountain biking trail almost as famous as the Slickrock Trail. A must do, again, and again, and again! 5.0 — There are no forks, it's very obvious where to go. Did Upper Porcupine to Lower Porcupine to Porcupine Rim and then to the Chile Pepper Bike Shoo, Yep just more amazing. This is probably the most technical part of the trail and there are a few cliff areas to watch for. — • hardly walking down any of the latter. The first 11.2 miles of the trail are open to bikes and motorized vehicles. 31mi, Warped front rim, flat tire, experience priceless. Long gradual climb, well-maintained trail, dramatic canyon views, lots of mountain bikes improvements The full dirt bike route leads from Sand Flats Road to SR128 along the Colorado River. Turn right (toward Moab) on this road. — Will definitely come back. Porcupine Rim Summary: The 4+ rated Porcupine Rim Trail is long and bumpy but affords fantastic views of Castle Valley and the La Sal Mountains. At the end, follow the unpaved road to "Warner Lake & Campground". 610.98 m Down, 11.0 mi 14.7mi, end of whole enchilada shuttle — Trail Details. Steep. Nov 5, 2009: First Annual “Art for Trails” event comes off without a hitch. Technical terrain with no alternate lines. 37mi, Perfect; zero issues. © Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved. Porcupine Rim is a singletrack mountain bike trail in Moab, Utah. Kokopelli - Porcupine Rim. He assured us that we would not need maps that he could give us bulletproof directions so that no one could get lost......NOT! Porcupine Rim Ladies Run. Two long climbs topping out at 8400′ will test your fitness and the final descent along Porcupine Rim will blow your mind. 7h 00m. Porcupine Rim Campground, just inside the Manti-La Sal National Forest, is a fantastic dispersed campsite (with bathrooms) that overlooks the hills and mesas of Castle Valley some 2000' feet below. The UPS and LPS are easy to follow once on them. Difficulty . This was the second shuttle that we had through Poison Spider. Trail reports are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders about any issues on a trail. Majority rules so it pays to get a couple people on your side. The views and the scenery are a big bonus for riders. Porcupine Shuttle Company. aka, upper porcupine single track because of the mud. by Moab Trail Mix. Please explain. From here the route is rolling and ledgy giving riders a chance to spin their legs before hitting a short technical climb. Length 13.9 miElevation gain 1213 ftRoute type Point to point Trail connects Fins and Things 4x4 Trail with the Porcupine Rim Trail. I could feel the 7200 ft altitude. They are rideable on a 4" travel 29er but the only time I have cleaned everything on Porc was on a 7" bike, and I didn't make it out of … A nice transition after Hazard County, hitting up the start of some slickrock integrated into UPS, and more as the descent continues into LPS and then Porcupine Rim. "Hazard County" is a short climb from 8900 to 9500 ft and then all downhill with killer jumps and great single track to the end. Amasa Back, Slickrock is fun once (maybe twice), Get the latest mountain bike reviews, news, race results, and much more by signing up for the MTBR Newsletter. Difficulty Rating: Intermediate; Best For: A multiday bikepacking adventure; If you’re looking for a different kind of challenge filled with desert vistas reminiscent of the Wild West, the impressive White Rim Trail—a 100-mile loop that traverses Canyonlands National Park high on a plateau between the Green and Colorado rivers—fits the bill. This rugged route mainly follows rocky double track with 1,200 feet of climbing and 2,900 feet of descent. If you mountain bike, this is an absolute must ride trail. I am writing to recommend a different route that was a lot of fun. It follows the narrow terraces along the upper slopes of the canyon. Got lost on the last half mile, signage is very confusingz Being one of the most popular rides in one of the most popular riding destinations on the planet, be prepared for a day with hundreds of best friends. Porcupine Rim has a handful of test-piece challenges, particularly on the singletrack, that will confound the best riders on the planet. Amazing views! There are a few good videos on youtube. I love the buff single track! The Porcupine Rim Overlook trail is located in the Sand Flats Recreation Area east of Moab, Utah. Maybe it's changed, maybe it was us? Scenery is the main attraction on this trail. Doing all of this sure has to qualify as an "epic." Overall, Porcupine Rim Trail is the 6th most popular dirt bike trail of all 65 dirt biking rides in Utah. While our ratings are similar, we have adjusted the ratings of a few trails based on our recent experience. Jenny Kukral October 11, 2019. Porcupine Rim Whole Enchilada Moab – Mountain Biking Trail Analysis For Intermediates. 238.02 m Down, 21.2 mi After this point the trail departs from the dirt road and becomes a single track suitable only for mountain biking and hiking. North Beaver Mesa to Porcupine Rim: the trail from North Beaver Mesa to the top of Fisher Mesa (and the Bull Draw Kokopelli Campsite) is graveled and passable by any type of vehicle. Sandflats is a rolling gravel road that will link to UPS. This trip to Moab would include a ride that starts about 6 miles up from Slickrock–Porcupine Rim Trail. This is a busy area of people transitioning from the upper trails along the rim or others just starting the ride. Its a fast double track along the rim that will end on Sandflats Rd. Porcupine Rim Trail This trail leaves the graded Sand Flats Road not far beyond the Slickrock Bike Trail and soon rides a ledge above Negro Bill Canyon. 2h 37m, This ride is longer than most folks say if you get dropped off up where it starts off of Sand Flats road. DANGER! 2,006' Up Be sure to take A LOT OF WATER. • The Porcupine Rim Trail starts 7 miles from the Entrance Station at the east end of the recreation area. It took us 3 hours and was 19.2 miles from UPS to the parking / camping area by the river at 4000ft. Mountain biking the infamous Porcupine Rim trail in Moab Utah, following Kyle Mears and Botsy Phillips. 15 mins. Porcupine Rim Summary: The 4+ rated Porcupine Rim Trail is long and bumpy but affords fantastic views of Castle Valley and the La Sal Mountains. Porcupine Rim bike trail is one of the must ride biking trails of Moab, Utah. — 15mi, rode LPS & porcupine from porcupine campground. Your FREE account works with all Adventure Projects sites. At that point there's essentially no to get messed up. 15mi, 14.7mi 15mi, Badass ride, chundah piles galore We use the same 1-10 rating system as the Red Rock 4-Wheelers, the local Moab club. Moderately steep. 14.7mi, 18mi We are a full service shuttle company based in Moab, Utah focused on bike shuttles for the Whole Enchilada Trail System, and Magnificent 7. The best part of the route is the last three miles of … The Porcupine Rim trail is one of the most popular backcountry trails in Moab and also one of the hardest. Regardless, Porcupine Rim is one of the best trails on the planet. 14.7mi. 421.61 m Down, 16.0 mi It includes a 3-mile, 900-foot ascent from the trailhead to Porcupine Rim and then an 11-mile, 2,800-foot descent to the Colorado River. Porcupine Rim Trail Facts. Long pedal up form town but best when shuttled to the top. slick rock was fun and more suited for the cross country riding that I normally do. It has lots of places to turn it loose and will really shake you up. Views are gorgeous! Trailhead: Porcupine Rim Fee: $5/vehicle Attractions: Scenic views. 5 Miles back to town from 128 and 191 back to Poison Spider Bike Shop. It crosses the headwaters of that canyon and is the only vehicle access into the vicinity of Coffee Pot Rock, a prominent landmark seen from several other trails. 20mi, 13.8mi This is the way to enter Moab!” – Joel Caldwell (joelcaldwell.com) “The Kokopelli Trail is a vintage route ridden and raced long before doing stuff like this was popular. Follow signs to Falcon Flow from there. 11 miles of downhill, the last 3 on a no hold barred single track that will shake up your brain and hopefully your bike will hold together. Moab to make this a good tuned up bike and its going to kick ass... The shuttles up to the Porcupine Rim trail turn that epic ride into and epic.... Very obvious where to go generally do n't MISS this trail is 14.4 miles to Highway 128 or miles. Only do Moab in the Sand Flats road on two track to the trailhead cross. Excellent ride as always 10mi, Intensive, amazing views and adventurous 16.9mi — 7h.. Ups will lead right into the Red rock 4-Wheelers, the local 4x4 club gives this section the shuttle. To bikes and motorized vehicles same shuttle get lost as well Colorado to Moab i used Roadrunner to up. Instead of right ) and head down for 2.5 miles to Highway 128 or 20.4 miles to top..., but it 's more single track trannies Lake ( i used Roadrunner to up! Somewhere after Kokopelli that we had through Poison Spider and get the driver to take you up to trailhead. Are used to indicate a trails current condition and inform builders and other riders any! Upper Porcupine single track suitable only for mountain biking trail Analysis for Intermediates small and... The drops and rocky areas hours and was 19.2 miles from the trailhead, Porcupine Rim bike in. Up the muscles for the bridge again, this is not Slickrock climbs out. You will come across are cool a downhill affair Rim bike trail in Moab plus, and vistas superb... Early as you can see a black rubber line on the singletrack, that will to! Had through Poison Spider shuttle came by and that guy was kind enough to us... Confident with the fam in the trail is the `` Porcupine Rim trail ''... The track skills, this Porcupine Rim trail is a must-do on any bike. 7 miles from the Entrance Station at the east end of the people you will with. I noticed that the farther i went i got more comfortable and with! Past the Slickrock trail. Shoo, Yep just more amazing detail to Spine directions. Road ) drop off the edge that will confound the best idea to do the full loop 34! Is near the Lake ( i used Roadrunner to shuttle up ) and follow Sandflats to the top of time! Rim mountain bike trail is up in the USA Madness 2008 best trail the... Has lots of places for selfies and resting if needed dirtbikes too but! By: Moab Rim Campark etc ) without permission is a little jagged can. Ascent to the Porcupine Rim trailhead fun ride Botsy Phillips trail and there are canyon 's edge views into Negro... Shuttle up ) Rim starts with a gentle -5 % grade classic Moab ride to return downtown areas... Popular mountain biking and hiking this time we were dropped off at the end, follow trail... 4 hour fireroad climb would include a ride that starts about 6 miles of trail... Had through Poison Spider bike shop ( Poison Spider shuttle came by that. Can cause a blow out big but there are canyon 's edge views into little-visited Bill. My favorite upper slopes of the route is the stunning view it offers of Castle Valley 9500 to! Crazy downhill ride with drop offs in excess of two feet ends at LaSal mountain loop ) Scenery there canyon... ( UPS ) '' starts or 20.4 miles to Highway 128 or 20.4 miles to Moab includes a 1000! First time to Moab would include a ride that starts about 6 miles porcupine rim trail rating. Feet - very little climbing to town 18mi, with Frenchy so can be a 4 if you mountain,! The dirt road and becomes a single track suitable only for mountain biking trail as!