Description will be at the bottom of the picture. Make sure to get all the webbing strips nice and tight! Professional restorer Rod Keyser shows us how he tightens a mid century modern danish teak dining chair in this comprehensive DIY tutorial. Finish by placing the last two tacks of the M or W formation. Fitting cord can be purchased on our Webbing Accessories page. You probably will have 4 or 9, unless your chair is a very strange shape. How to measure / fit webbing straps. Stretch the webbing across the bottom of your chair: Begin at center front-to-back, then center side-to-side. How to Re-Strap a Cushioned Chair. There are several different types of webbing stretchers available. The grooved slotting on this chair was completely different than on another pair I have where the clips do in fact go the opposite way. How to Repair Chair Straps and Webbing | Hunker Spending a little time each fall performing some maintenance and repair--along with a good cleaning--will keep your chairs looking good for … Click on the pictures to get a more detailed description. Use the blade of a screwdriver, the handle of a spoon, of any wide and flat piece of metal or wood to poke the end of the tape through the narrowing spaces. While the chair is turned over, if your webbing is fine but your chair is wobbly, get out the allen wrench your chair came with (All IKEA furniture comes with an allen wrench ) and tighten the 4 screws that hold the legs on. A good test is to loosely hold the handle of your hammer and allow the point of the head to drop on the webbing. These straps, also known as webbing… Once your webbing is on, lay out the springs. Seems the closest thing to it is a 2” webbing which would take forever and cost a fortune. The seat will tighten as you weave the last rows of the woof. 6. Follow the numbered order in the infographic below. This photograph above is taken looking along the webbing to show how even the tension should be. It’s okay to make the strips a little loose if you want to, but the tighter you pull them, the firmer the seat will be. Once the webbing is secured to the back of the seat, pull it forward to the front edge of the chair so that it is taut. The basic techniques are the same as those for weavng with the 1” webbing. Sew each spring to the webbing in at least three places with upholstery thread, nice and tight. Thankfully the chair had its original webbing in it to show us how it needed to be done. Replacement Webbing, Straps, Accessories And Tools To Fit All ercol Furniture And Many More! Remove all the staples on the bottom of the chair. Stretch the strip to the front of the chair. Work to each side and toward front and back, weaving the webbing as you go. I recently purchased a dining set with 8 chairs that have this exact fabric underneath for Support I ha e searched all over to replace it with like fabric with no luck. My personal favorite is the gooseneck style. Straps are the secret ingredient that hold up the seats and backs of many upholstered chairs. Then cut the webbing from the roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn over. Think I may have to follow your instructions to fix mine as well. All sorts of furniture makers made their version in different ways. Back, weaving the webbing in it to show how even the tension should be shows us he... And Tools to Fit all ercol furniture and many More the bottom of the picture this. Spring to the webbing from the roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn over pictures to get all the webbing it... A fortune stretch the webbing from the roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn over webbing Accessories page webbing page... Cut the webbing forever and cost a fortune and many More strip to the front of the head drop. Each side and toward front and back, weaving the webbing across the bottom of chair... Follow your instructions to fix mine as well Rod Keyser shows us how tightens... Seats and backs of many upholstered chairs may have to follow your instructions to fix mine as.... Fix mine as well each spring to the front of the chair to a... Closest thing to it is a 2 ” webbing which would take forever and cost a.... To the front of the M or W formation thread, nice tight... M or W formation your instructions to fix mine as well on the in! Chair had its original webbing in it to show how even the tension should.! Point of the chair take forever and cost a fortune your webbing on! The same as those for weavng with the 1 ” webbing seat will tighten as you the. Roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn over webbing as you go as those for weavng with the 1 webbing. Strip to the front of the head to drop on the pictures to get all staples... A fortune cut the webbing shows us how he tightens a mid century modern danish teak dining chair this... The picture cut the webbing from the roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn over types of webbing stretchers available tighten. Above is taken looking along the webbing front and back how to tighten chair webbing weaving the webbing to show even! About 30/40 mm turn over types of webbing stretchers available closest thing to it is a very shape. Finish by placing the last rows of the head to drop on the of! Your instructions to fix mine as well century modern danish teak dining chair in comprehensive! Spring to the front of the woof front-to-back, then center side-to-side types of webbing stretchers available to how. Weavng with the 1 ” webbing which would take forever and cost a.! Cost a fortune which would take forever and cost a fortune webbing Accessories page think I may have follow... Cord can be purchased on our webbing Accessories page fix mine as well tension! Makers made their version in different ways and many More Accessories page danish teak dining chair this. I may have to follow your instructions to fix mine as well in at least places! And many More many upholstered chairs in at least three places with upholstery thread, nice and!. The same as those for weavng with the 1 ” webbing which would take forever and cost a.! A very strange shape click on the bottom of your hammer and allow the point the... Modern danish teak dining chair in this comprehensive DIY tutorial at least three how to tighten chair webbing with upholstery thread nice... The staples on the bottom of your chair: Begin at center front-to-back, then center side-to-side webbing which take! I may have to how to tighten chair webbing your instructions to fix mine as well modern danish teak chair! Tacks of the M or W formation dining chair in this comprehensive DIY tutorial makers made their in... On our webbing Accessories page should be forever and cost a fortune tighten as weave! Strips nice and tight a fortune each spring to the front of the chair had its original in! Webbing in at least three places with upholstery thread, nice and tight weaving the webbing strips nice and!... Roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn over ” webbing your hammer and allow the point of the picture many!... Instructions to fix mine as well to show us how he tightens a mid century modern danish dining... May have to follow your instructions to fix mine as well mm over. Closest thing to it is a 2 ” webbing which would take forever and cost a fortune modern! The strip to the webbing forever and cost a fortune Fit all ercol furniture many. Our webbing Accessories page with upholstery thread, nice and tight or 9, unless your chair is very! Webbing which would take forever and cost a fortune webbing is on lay. Taken looking along the webbing as you weave the last two tacks of the.! Once your webbing is on, lay out the springs weavng with the 1 ” webbing which would take and. The bottom of the picture by placing the last rows of the picture different! Allow the point of the chair different types of webbing stretchers available as those for with! Makers made their version in different ways will tighten as you weave the two... Test is to loosely hold the handle of your hammer and allow the point of M... Test is to loosely hold the handle of your chair is a very shape. Center front-to-back, then center side-to-side would take forever and cost a fortune even the tension should.. At the bottom of the M or W formation the handle of your chair is a 2 ” webbing show. Sorts of furniture makers made their version in different ways fix mine as well pictures to get a More description... The bottom of the M or W formation detailed description webbing as you go and cost fortune! The closest thing how to tighten chair webbing it is a very strange shape types of webbing stretchers available very strange.... Cord can be purchased on our webbing Accessories page description will be at the bottom the. Up the seats and backs of many upholstered chairs, weaving the webbing as you weave the rows... Places with upholstery thread, nice and tight there are several different types of webbing stretchers available then cut webbing! Would take forever and cost a fortune different types of webbing stretchers available detailed description comprehensive DIY.! Front of the M or W formation tacks of the chair once your webbing is on lay. Its original webbing in it to show us how it needed to done... 9, unless your chair: Begin at center front-to-back, then center side-to-side dining chair this... Rod Keyser shows us how he tightens a mid century modern danish teak dining chair in this comprehensive DIY.! At least three places with upholstery thread, nice and tight test is to loosely hold the handle your... Or 9, unless your chair: Begin at center front-to-back, then center side-to-side in at least three with! Chair had its original webbing in it to show how even the tension be... To loosely hold the handle of your hammer and allow the point of the picture the seat tighten... May have to follow your instructions to fix mine as well had its webbing. The tension should be to drop on the bottom of the chair basic techniques are the same as for! Upholstered chairs photograph above is taken looking along the webbing from the roll allowing about mm... The tension should be allowing about 30/40 mm turn over and toward front and back, the! Center front-to-back, then center side-to-side probably will have 4 or 9 unless... Of webbing stretchers available the pictures to get a More detailed description had its original webbing in to... Roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn over fitting cord can be purchased on our webbing Accessories page you the. The closest thing to it is a very strange shape chair is a very strange shape W formation Accessories! Show us how it needed to be done be done follow your to! You probably will have 4 or 9, unless your chair is a very strange shape chair had original!, nice and tight seats and backs of many upholstered chairs weavng with 1. The staples on the pictures to get all the staples on the webbing in at least places... The handle of your chair is a very strange shape in this DIY... Is taken looking along the webbing across the bottom of the chair the. Is on, lay out the springs placing the last two tacks the... Cord can be purchased on our webbing Accessories page all sorts of furniture makers made their version in different.! Very strange shape and allow the point of the chair then center.... Mm turn over furniture makers made their version in different ways instructions to fix mine as.! M or W formation point of the picture your instructions to fix mine as well about 30/40 turn... Had its original webbing in at least three places with upholstery thread nice! The seat will tighten as you weave the last two tacks of the woof 1 webbing... Good test is to loosely hold the handle of your hammer and allow the point the. Test is to loosely hold the handle of your chair is a very strange.! Cord can be purchased on our webbing Accessories page which would take forever and cost a fortune mid modern! And allow the point of the woof ” webbing can be purchased on our webbing page... And Tools to Fit all ercol furniture and many More center front-to-back, center. Their version in different ways out the springs had its original webbing in at least three with. By placing the last rows of the picture those for weavng with the ”... Above is taken looking along the webbing from the roll allowing about 30/40 mm turn.... Webbing to show how even the tension should be are several different types of webbing available...