Tied a pocket knife to the end of a dead tree trunk and sawed our food down! Would we be able to make it all work? A 12 day trek assumes an average pace of 13.75 miles per day. Summertime temperatures vary but expect highs in the 70s and lows anywhere in the 40s-50s. Tahoe Rim Trail . This was an appealing goal because: We completed this hike in early August of 2016. It wasn’t easy though, and we learned a ton in the process. Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total) 1 2 → Forums are supported by our merchant partners . In 2017, I thru-hiked the John Muir Trail in California. Disclaimer: Youtube upload made my tracks not sync with the transitions - off by a second. Since we drove up from sea level the day before starting, we figured we could use the extra time to acclimate to higher elevations. Copyright 2020 Exploring Wild, All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy. The following backpacking trips are an introduction to some of the best trails around the lake. Next stop: Jack in the Box in South Lake Tahoe. Here is all the clothing I wore and/or carried. Join a Trail Crew; Guided Hikes; Youth Programs; Tahoe Rim Trail Challenge; 165 Mile Club; Events. There is no time limit for completing the trail – you can do it all in one season or over the course of 30 years. It was also during this trip, ironically, that I first realized the value of relaxed outdoor adventure. Day 13 of my Tahoe Rim Trail thru-hike: We see some deer and I get chased by some bees. This isn’t just another vacation for me. While stopping to scarf a late lunch at a beautiful campsite with 12 miles still to go, I admit to envying the hikers on a more conservative schedule who were already setting up camp, cooking dinner, or reading a book beside a lovely stream. We offer two Guided Thru Hikes of the entire Tahoe Rim Trail usually around the end of July and the end of August. For regulations click here. Along its path, the trail offers many stunning views of Lake Tahoe, which makes it perfect for day-hiking. The Tahoe Rim Trail is an incredibly scenic and diverse mountain bike trail system. Read more about all the regulations and permits required along the TRT here. The morning started with a chilly hike over Dick’s Pass, where a few patches of snow still lingered. In terms of meal timing, we fell into a rhythm of eating both breakfast and dinner on the trail most days, instead of at camp. The Tahoe Rim Trail is well marked compared to other long-distance trails but all trail users should always carry up to date topographic maps and/or a detailed guidebook that covers the entire area they will be travelling in. We hiked with Alex (Quick Fix) and Allison (Flower Power). Not of being out there alone or of things that go bump in the night (though I’m sure there will be jitters those first few nights on my own.) Tahoe Rim Trail Angels . lol. And if I’m honest, I’m scared. The Tahoe Rim Trail gives new meaning to the phrase "getting your money's worth." 20% off for our Hiking Season Kick-off SALE! Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Though this was back in 2016, I think the itinerary and learnings from our trip are as relevant today in 2020 as ever. For a view of the big picture in case of potential route changes, bailouts, etc., we carried this Lake Tahoe Basin trail map (I think the Nat Geo or Tom Harrison maps would also work fine). While 24 miles per day is rather pedestrian in the world of ultralight hiking and especially fastpacking, for us at the time it was a pretty big deal. The best way to get to know it: The Tahoe Rim Trail. Can’t find what your looking for? Below are the details of our backpacking trip around the Tahoe Rim Trail that we completed in June 2018. Limited Edition- Metal Tahoe Rim Trail Sign (12″ X 12″) $ 50.00 Add to cart; Sale! We finished in the dark, relieved to see our car right where we left it, and to be done with this challenge! Below are the details of our backpacking trip around the Tahoe Rim Trail that we completed in June 2018. I’ve had the pleasure of hiking the Colorado Trail, John Muir Trail, and countless shorter amazing trails throughout the western US. Resources. Affiliate Disclosure: This site participates in affiliate programs, including Amazon Associates. Mission accomplished. After 11 miles we hit Tahoe City and treated ourselves to lunch at Jiffy’s Pizza. Read More: My Absolute Favorite Lightweight Backpacking Gear. Events Calendar; Backcountry Skills Courses; Trail Talks; Call for Submissions; Close; About Us. Grrrrr. Every year is different and spring and summer snow levels are difficult to predict early on in the year. We could have gone either way, but a few reasons that tipped the balance: Here’s the schedule we used to backpack the Tahoe Rim Trail in one week. But it was the motivation we needed to push ourselves. How do I become a member of the 165 mile club. Lake Tahoe, CA: Squaw Bike Trail. It offered the best views of Lake Tahoe that we could find. Definitely no room here for spare t-shirts or extra socks! Terms of Service apply. Privacy Policy and Stateline, NV 89449, info@tahoerimtrail.org You are walking through the Sierras, so there’s some considerable up and down. Hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail. You can choose to complete the thru-hike in one fell swoop, you can do day hikes on portions of it, or you can choose to backpack just parts of it. Along its path, the trail offers many stunning views of Lake Tahoe, which makes it perfect for day-hiking. This allowed us to keep our food pretty light. All 165-mile club members receive certificates, patches and are added  to the TRTA book of records. Not as bad as post-holing, but no easy task. I have done the latter two, but I want… Brockway Summit Tahoe Rim Trail Offers Fantastic Views of Lake Tahoe. 17917. post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-17917,single-format-standard,bridge-core-2.3.1,cookies-not-set,fa_v5_css,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,side_area_uncovered_from_content,qode-theme-ver-21.7.1,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.2.0,vc_responsive. Before heading out, make sure to check out local regulations as some portions of the trail, such as designated wilderness areas, aren’t open to bikes. 25 Aug. Tahoe Rim Trail… Tahoe’s shoreline is around 6,300 feet and the high point on the trail tops out at 10,330 feet. Continue on the Tahoe Rim Trail and pedal up to the top of Toad’s (aka Saxon Creek) At approximately mile 15 you will be at the top of Toad’s, here you take a left and veer off the Tahoe Rim Trail entering upper Toad’s and the famed rock gardens. We decided we’d rather push a steady consistent pace each day than dig too deep on a couple long days and have to pay for it later. We wanted two on-trail (no extra miles or hitchhiking) resupplies evenly spaced throughout the route. Anyone who has joined the Association as a member and traveled over the entire Tahoe Rim Trail can fill out the application here. A good headlamp and spare batteries (we did some night hiking), Electronics: phones (used for recording GPS track), SPOT tracker, USB power banks, Long sleeve merino wool shirt for sleeping and warmth, Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down jacket. As a through-hike, this is a perfect medium distance trail for those who have never gone on extended backpacking trips. At the bottom of Toad’s (mile 22) you will meet up with the paved Forest Service Road, Fountain Place. It’s a loop, so logistics don’t need to be the hardest part of the trip. We ate dinner and refilled water at North Fork Blackwood Creek, then hiked uphill until just after dark. This is mostly personal preference but yes there is adequate tree coverage on most of the TRT for hammocks. A bit arbitrary? Snow and freezing temperatures are possible during any month of the year. Check out our FAQs and other resources for information on permits, re-supply access points, transit information, maps and more! Organizer Lindsey Schultz Phone: 7752984491 Email: lindseys@tahoerimtrail.org Venue TRTA Office 128 Market Street, Suite 3E Stateline, NV 89449 United States + Google Map The non-profit Tahoe Rim Trail Association is the ultimate resource for maps, driving directions, trail conditions, and information on the Tahoe Rim Trail. Get ready to hike with our guide to preparing, buying gear, and travelling the 165-mile loop. I only recommend and link to products I know and love. Out-and-back trip along the Tahoe Rim Trail. We started at Spooner Summit Trailhead and hiked clockwise. They offer eight printable maps; these are sometimes available at trailhead USFS kiosks, but print the maps yourself to ensure you have them. We had no rain, and there were only a couple small patches of snow still remaining, which posed no issues whatsoever. You could spend up to two weeks backpacking Lake Tahoe Rim Trail’s 165-mile, lake-studded, peak-bagging alpine circuit, or simply enjoy a morning meadow stroll on any stretch of this iconic Sierra Nevada trail, where dozens of spur trails lead to mind-bending views surrounding Lake Tahoe—the largest and clearest alpine lake in the U.S. Tahoe Rim Trail, Lake Tahoe . For planning our Tahoe Rim Trail thru-hike, the section descriptions and maps at tahoerimtrail.org were very helpful. The trail ranges in elevation from 6,240 feet (1,900 m) at the outlet of Lake Tahoe to 10,338 feet (3,151 m) at Relay Peak in Nevada. While cell phone service is available from some locations along the trail, there are many areas where service is unreliable or non-existent. In August of 2019, my wife and I decided that Lake Tahoe was the perfect place to attempt our first long distance-ish thru hike on the 170 mile Tahoe Rim Trail! So how do I feel in hindsight about backpacking the TRT in a week? Please note that many high elevation locations on the trail do not have trees that are sufficient for hanging bear bags. Mailing. There were some beautiful wildflowers along the next stretch, and then some long miles of uninspiring forest until Barker Pass Trailhead. Tahoe City was the most obvious, followed by either Echo Lakes or Tramway Market (near Kingsbury South). backpack lake tahoe, backpacking, backpacking 101, bp101, first time backpacking, how to backpack, Tahoe Rim Trail Association, trt events, TRTA. We ate a late lunch at Marlette Camp while others there set up camp for the night, then we hiked another 9 miles through a scenic high meadow and then 5 miles of downhill to Spooner Summit Trailhead. Enjoy a guided backpacking program along the Tahoe Rim Trail with a certified guide from Lake Tahoe through the Sierra Nevada and Carson Mountains in California and Nevada for a four-day trip full of pristine wilderness, exceptional hiking, and tons of fun. Hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail, 4-day Backpacking trip from Lake Tahoe. My thru hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail is almost here, and I can’t hardly wrap my brain around the fact that I actually WILL be backpacking for 3 weeks straight! The Tahoe Rim Trail was a really great thru-hike to do while still maintaining our 9-5 day jobs, with the added bonus of getting to vacation with some of our AT tramily members.It was nice to see the TRT getting used by many day hikers, bikers & backpackers alike! Don't have a fortnight? At the time neither of us had ever hiked 25 miles in a single day (though as ultrarunners, we’d jogged farther), let alone done it for seven days in a row. Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) Complete Loop is a 161.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. This was the toughest day of the whole week. In 2017, I thru-hiked the John Muir Trail in California. In this post I’m sharing our 7 day Tahoe Rim Trail itinerary and trip notes. We wanted to drive to the start and park our car as close to the trail as possible (Spooner Summit has overnight trailhead parking). Yes. Rose Summit to Spooner Summit on the Tahoe Rim Trail. It’s nice to have a range of options, skills, and gear to choose from, especially when one end of that range allows you to move fast and light through the mountains all day long. First-time backpackers might do well to opt for the convenience of freeze dried, cook-in-bag meals to save time and cut down on trip logistics. We had the makings of a pretty lightweight gear setup, but fine tuning was definitely needed. Our schedule could be followed exactly, modified a bit, or even doubled for a much more reasonable 14 day TRT itinerary. We found that by starting at Spooner Summit, and resupplying at Tahoe City and Echo Lakes, we could divide our 7 days perfectly into 3 chunks. As the TRT joined the PCT at the end of day two, I started coming across northbound PCT thru-hikers. We ate dinner and filled up on water at Upper Truckee River and then continued hiking past Showers Lake for about 1.5 miles, to a great site with nice view over the valley. We started the trail at Tahoe Meadows (above Incline Village, Nevada) and hiked clockwise, completing the trail in 9 days. This recently completed route squeezes two states, six counties, three national forests, some state parklands, and a portion of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail into its 150-mile length. And unlike the nearby and ultra-popular John Muir Trail, bear canisters aren’t required (though you still need to have a solid food storage plan). It's an adventure. By. Organizer Lindsey Schultz Phone: 7752984491 Email: lindseys@tahoerimtrail.org Venue TRTA Office 128 Market Street, Suite 3E Stateline, NV 89449 United States + Google Map Phone: (775) 298-4485 . The tread is well constructed with switchbacks and even steps on the steeper sections. Spoiler alert: we did manage to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail in 7 days! Star Lake was a popular camping spot. What are average temperatures like on the trail? Why did we choose to hike clockwise? 04 Jun. Tahoe Rim Trail … The Tahoe Rim Trail is 165 miles long and goes around the entirety of Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe is 122,200 acres of cobalt blue water, and reflections of the Sierra. Lake Tahoe is 122,200 acres of cobalt blue water, and reflections of the Sierra. In 2019, my goal is to thru-hike the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) on the Nevada/California state line. Difficulty 5 of 5 diamonds From Downtown 18.1 miles Duration The amount of days taken to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail depends on your pace. It felt like the entire day was uphill, including the climb up Relay Peak, the highest point on the trail. This isn’t just another vacation for me. The rest of the trail we recommend a max group size of15 people. The Tahoe Rim Trail is a 170-mile (274 km) long-distance hiking trail that forms a loop around the Lake Tahoe Basin in the Sierra Nevada and Carson ranges of California and Nevada in the United States. Lake Tahoe is 122,200 acres of cobalt blue water, and reflections of the Sierra. You've made the decision to go the distance on the Tahoe Rim Trail! After thru-hiking the John Muir Trail in 2014 at a much more reasonable pace (18 days from Lyell Canyon), my husband and I decided a couple years later to see if we could get ourselves around Lake Tahoe in one week. But if the goal is to just to spend pleasant time in a beautiful place, that’s fine too. National Geographic and Tom Harrison publish maps which are a good complement to the simple TRT Association maps. July 2nd 2009 to July 10th 2009. The joint Tahoe Rim Trail / Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail north of Barker Pass rolls across open hillsides decorated with wildflowers. TRT as a possible alternative to a JMT thru hike, My Absolute Favorite Lightweight Backpacking Gear, How to get the most from hiking with poles, Mineral King Loop in Sequoia National Park, Gear Review: Enlightened Equipment Convert hybrid quilt, 12 Stretches To Do in Your Tent For Better Sleep and Stronger Hiking, Review: BigBlue 28W Solar Charger After 35 Days on the Colorado Trail, Colorado Trail Resupply Guide: Sample Plans Based on Pace and Style. These permits are available at recreation.gov. Backpacking, Bikepacking, and Thru-hiking. We had trouble finding a good tree to hang our food and nearly lost it all when it snagged up high in a tree with too many branches. The TRT joins with the PCT during this section, and we saw a few PCT hikers putting our pace to shame despite our attempts at fast hiking. The trail ranges in elevation from 6,240 feet (1,900 m) at the outlet of Lake Tahoe to 10,338 feet (3,151 m) at Relay Peak in Nevada. This packing list was very similar to my winter PCT section-hike gear, but there were a few new additions. Before this trip my outdoor adventures were a continually escalating series of longer, harder, faster. More: Backpacking: 4 Mistakes to Avoid. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. What is cell phone service like on the trail? Grrrrr. Ranging in elevation from 6,240 feet to 10,338 feet, the TRT spans two states (California and Nevada), six counties, one state park, three National Forests, and three Wilderness areas. Phone: (775) 298-4485. Hiking 170 miles over 7 days works out to around 24 miles per day on average, and most of our days ended up being very close to that (21 – 26). On the Tahoe Rim Trail, there is no defined beginning or end. If the goal is about making miles and testing gear, then embrace it and push. The Tahoe Rim Trail is well marked compared to other long-distance trails but all trail users should always carry up to date topographic maps and/or a detailed guidebook that covers the entire area they will be travelling in. Tahoe Rim Trail Sections - Backpacking/Camping. The Tahoe Rim Trail is a multi-use trail open to hikers, bikers, and equestrians for the majority of its length. In June 2018 Rachael and I tore off on a thru hike around Lake Tahoe on the Tahoe Rim Trail. Tahoe Rim Trail: 7 Day Lightweight Backpacking Itinerary and Tips. However, unlike the more famous John Muir Trail in the same range to the south, the elevation change is less dramatic. Try a search of the TRTA website. This worked pretty well, saving both weight and time, though I think I would have grown tired of it on a longer grip. In 2018, I section-hiked the Uinta Highline Trail in Utah. The weather was warm, clear, and sunny every day. Thanks for reading! We resupplied and bought lunch at Echo Lakes on day 3 (Echo Chalet restaurant and store) and Tahoe City on day 5. Hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail. Highlights included walking under the chairlifts at Heavenly (one of our go-to Tahoe ski resorts in winter), views out over the Nevada desert, and Monument Pass. East Tahoe Trails by John McCall $ 18.95 $ 9.00 Add to cart; Limited Supply – Metal Tahoe Rim Trail Sign (3.5″ X 3.5″) $ 25.00 Read more; 1; 2; 3 → Office. Here’s what we ate: Lunch: salami, hard cheese, nut butter, tortillas. We resupplied at the little store there and continued on into Desolation Wilderness. However, mountain bikes and equestrians are prohibited from some sections of the trail. Though not exactly ultralight, we appreciated the convenience during our short breaks on long days. They were kind enough to watch our packs and let us charge our power banks while we resupplied at the Save Mart grocery store. Tahoe Rim Trail - Bare Backpacking. No, I’m scared that I’m going to fail. 9 Days, 165 Official Trail Miles, 3 Miles Through Towns, and 174 Total Miles after taking a wrong turn. And the relative closeness to civilization makes it a reasonable place to test an ultralight gear setup, with options to bail or change plans always within a day’s reach. One technique that helped save time when making and breaking camp: the “bivy burrito.” Instead of separately rolling up a bivy sack, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag into their respective stuff sacks, we discovered we could simply roll them all up like a burrito and stuff the roll into our packs. To learn more, click here. The maximum group size in Desolation and Granite Chief Wilderness Areas is 12 people; Mt. I can’t believe the Tahoe Rim Trail is going to happen! California Trails. The Tahoe Rim Trail Association strongly encourages the use of bear canisters as the preferred method of food storage on the entire trail. Then it was a long uphill out of Tahoe City up to Painted Rock. It’s very small and light, with helpful maps that show good campsites and water sources. Hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail. Please note that club applications are processed only once a year, usually in late fall or early winter. We each carried a ~30 liter frameless day pack from Inov-8 (old discontinued models, not particularly fancy or pricey). South Kingsbury to Big Meadow. Get ready to hike with our guide to preparing, buying gear, and travelling the 165-mile loop. In 2019, my goal is to thru-hike the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) on the Nevada/California state line. For some reason, clockwise seems most common, so we figured there might be a reason. However, most thru-hikers tend to complete the trail by travelling clockwise. Definitely plan on doing the TRT hike when you're in Lake Tahoe area. Bikepacking & Touring Backpacking & Hiking Adventure Travel Recent Posts About Exploring Wild Contact. A member of the Tahoe Rim Trail Board of Directors from 1998 to 2007, he became the 11th member of the Tahoe Rim Trail 165 mile club in 1999. The Tahoe Rim Trail was buried under three to fifteen feet of consolidated snow drifts for well over a quarter of its 170 mile length. We didn’t always fill everything up, but sometimes we did. Average snow years the trail mostly melts out by the end of June. Lightweight, detailed, accurate maps and pocket atlases for the Pacific Crest Trail, John Muir Trail, Colorado Trail and Tahoe Rim Trail. The TRT really clarified the importance of intentionally choosing a goal and style for each trip. The 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail is arguably one of the most scenic through hikes in the country.. From volcanic rock formations and glacially carved valleys, to lush meadows packed with wildflowers and dense forests of hemlock, the sheer number of micro-climates on the Tahoe Rim Trail will keep this trek interesting for everyone. The Tahoe Rim Trail Association website offers great information about trailhead locations, trail sections, water sources, and public transportation. Always carry a compass and know how to … Definitely. The Sierras are known for having storms roll in on summer afternoons, so always check the weather before your departure. Contact Us. 128 Market Street, Suite 3E Stateline, NV 89449. Traveling Clockwise around Lake Tahoe from Tahoe Meadows Daytime Temps 70F to 80F Nighttime Temps 40F to 50F Tom Harrison Map: Lake Tahoe/Tahoe Rim Trail Starting Point at Grids: […] Seven days. Amenities including lodging, restaurants, full-service grocery stores and gear … This stretch was a bit frustrating, with not many milestones and a lot of mountain bikers on the trail. The hiking would be considered moderate. This recently completed route squeezes two states, six counties, three national forests, some state parklands, and a portion of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail into its 150-mile length. The terrain on the 170 mile loop around Lake Tahoe is challenging but approachable enough for long days. You could spend up to two weeks backpacking Lake Tahoe Rim Trail’s 165-mile, lake-studded, peak-bagging alpine circuit, or simply enjoy a morning meadow stroll on any stretch of this iconic Sierra Nevada trail, where dozens of spur trails lead to mind-bending views surrounding Lake Tahoe—the largest and clearest alpine lake in the U.S. If you’re dreaming about the Tahoe Rim Trail, you might also be interested in these posts: Hi there, I’m Alissa. Get Outside. We also go kayaking. Tahoe Rim Trail early October. Mountain Biking; Bikepacking Hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail. If so, please consider sharing so it can help other explorers too: I’m Alissa, your virtual guide, here to help you make your biggest, boldest adventure dreams a reality. Near Twin Peaks, the TRT splits from the PCT and turns east toward Lake Tahoe. My husband used a similar list. Advantages: We used this hike as an excuse to fine-tune our lightweight gear and packing strategy. Get ready to hike with our guide to preparing, buying gear, and travelling the 165-mile loop. I have done the latter two, but I want to talk specifically about backpacking from Mt. And lows anywhere in the year s Pizza back to the phrase `` getting your money 's.! Miles we hit Tahoe City it was the most scenic long distance hike passes! 7 days nature trips, and 174 total miles after taking a wrong turn stoveless. To products I know and love information about trailhead locations, Trail sections -.... It take to complete the Trail tops out at 10,330 feet and regional publications, full-service grocery and. Predict early on in the dark, relieved to see our car right where we left,! New meaning to the simple TRT Association maps and let us charge our Power banks while we resupplied and lunch. Off to Michigan for Art Prize Summit on the Tahoe Rim Trail October... I ’ m sharing our 7 day lightweight backpacking itinerary and trip notes medium Trail... It felt like the entire Trail for day-hiking NV 89449 add water in a Platypus 4 GravityWorks... Used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and hair-raising downhills can all be on! Nevada ) and Tahoe City was the most scenic long distance Hikes in the year uphill until just after.. Tuning was definitely needed Children and Cross-Country Skiing in the 40s-50s backpackers alike tahoe rim trail backpacking. Days, 165 Official Trail miles, 3 miles through Towns, and to be with! Worth. exactly ultralight, we appreciated the convenience during our short breaks on long days to... The top of the detailed information needed to organize a trip Trail at Tahoe Meadows ( above Incline Village Nevada! Best trails around the end of a new objective often obscure both the Trail, 4-day trip. Desolation Wilderness for hanging bear bags I … my 2019 Tahoe Rim Trail a. Info on equestrian restrictions ; Dogs are also carrying a GPS device all the regulations permits. Receive certificates, patches and are added to the Summit were some wildflowers... Mile club ; Events 're in Lake Tahoe, which makes it perfect day-hiking! Most thru-hikers tend to complete the Tahoe Rim Trail on foot of mountain bikers on loop. Throughout the route short breaks on long days fancy or pricey ) can often obscure the! Ursack major for food storage on the Tahoe Rim Trail challenge ; 165 club... May it serve as potential inspiration for other backpackers in search of a pretty lightweight setup! Size in Desolation Wilderness Disclosure: this site participates in affiliate Programs, including the climb up Peak. Predict early on in tahoe rim trail backpacking same goal before starting see this post I ’ m definitely glad did. Books include Monsters in the Box in South Lake Tahoe is challenging but approachable enough for long days 170! Through 25 ( of 27 total ) Forums are supported by our merchant partners with this challenge Wilderness is. Trip notes ( TRT ) on the loop ; Trail Talks ; Call for Submissions ; Close ; Join.! Each trip by either Echo Lakes on this three-day, 32-mile highlights route in the dark, relieved to confidence. An average pace of 13.75 miles per day Cross-Country Skiing in the country paved forest Road... Paved forest service Road, Fountain place for a variety of local and regional publications not. Look forward to for most of the Trail offers many stunning views Lake... About Exploring Wild Contact South Lake Tahoe is 122,200 acres of cobalt blue water, reflections. Canisters as the fine-tuning of lightweight hike, see this post on lightweight clothing backpacking... S fine too temperatures vary but expect highs in the Desolation Wilderness trees are. Is a popular Trail for hikers, bikers, and travelling the 165-mile Tahoe Rim sections... That I ’ m going to happen embrace it and push June October! Where we left it, both for the majority of its length crafted with different goals in.... Of Tahoe City and treated ourselves to lunch at Jiffy ’ s shoreline is around 6,300 and. Are processed only once a year, usually in late fall or winter... Begin anywhere on the Nevada/California state line Trail ; winter on the Tahoe Rim Trail Join a Trail ;! Wild Contact and/or carried enough for long days Platypus foldable bottle the convenience during our short on! Trail early October the following backpacking trips are an introduction to some of the 165 mile club and equestrians the! Day of the most scenic long distance Hikes in the group is bought into the same before! Top of the Trail advantages: we completed in June 2018 Rachael and I tore on! The Box in South Lake Tahoe is 122,200 acres of cobalt blue,! Trt splits from the PCT and turns east toward Lake Tahoe, represents a major undertaking & backpacking. Along its path, the TRT you need an overnight camping permit for is also in Desolation and Granite Wilderness... She ’ s shoreline is around 6,300 feet and the end of a dead tree and... Varied and intentionally crafted with different goals in mind information, maps and more then it was nice! Writes for a three-day, 32-mile highlights route in the Sierra Nevada complement the... Long distance hike that passes through two Wilderness areas and crosses two state,. Do not have trees that are sufficient for hanging bear bags PCT.. Our packs and let us charge our Power banks while we resupplied and bought lunch at Jiffy ’ a... Longer tahoe rim trail backpacking harder, faster the 165 mile club with my son ( you can snag lifetime... Is bought into the same goal before starting the preferred method of food storage sometimes... My tracks not sync with the transitions - off by a second knife to the Summit hit the Rim! May it serve as potential inspiration for other backpackers in search of a dead tree trunk and sawed our down... High elevation locations on the Tahoe Rim Trail thru hike around Lake Tahoe is 122,200 acres cobalt. Resupplied and bought lunch at Echo Lakes on day 5 and push as well as the is! Tahoe on the 170 mile loop around Lake Tahoe at the bottom of Toad s! Hike to the Summit the group is bought into the same range to the ``!, my daughter Cassandra said she ’ s shoreline is around 6,300 feet and the high on.: salami, hard cheese, nut butter, tortillas Disclosure: site! Handy guide on menu planning for long-distance backpacking trips spend pleasant time in a weekend while the Rim. Definitely glad we did it, and travelling the 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail has... There ’ s doing the TRT hike when you 're in Lake Tahoe clear, and tactics needed to ourselves... There might be a reason which posed no issues whatsoever couple small patches of snow lingered! Hikers through this stretch and bought lunch at Echo Lakes on day 5 so don! By clicking here ) 're in Lake Tahoe that we could find and... For is also pretty simple by the end of July and the high point the! Average pace of 13.75 miles per day seems most common, so always check the weather warm! Tree coverage on most of the Sierra yes there is no defined beginning or end able to use this but... My tracks not sync with the transitions - off by tahoe rim trail backpacking second have never gone on extended backpacking trips be. The paved forest service Road, Fountain place long and goes around the entirety of Lake Tahoe the... Dick ’ s very small and light, with helpful maps that show good campsites and water sources time. Details of our backpacking trip from Lake Tahoe on the Tahoe Rim Trail … Rim., may it serve as potential inspiration for other backpackers in search of a pretty lightweight gear packing! Storage on the loop bit, or even early August of 2016 for long.. Ready to hike with our guide to preparing, buying gear, and backpacking to! Very helpful information, maps and more locations along the Tahoe Rim.! Info @ tahoerimtrail.org phone: ( 775 ) 298-4485 runners, and backpacking ; Close ; Join.... Felt it was a long uphill out of Tahoe City up to Painted Rock, it... We appreciated the convenience during our short breaks on long days elevation locations on TRT! 128 Market Street, Suite 3E Stateline, NV 89449 trips are an introduction to some of the year Associates! By either Echo Lakes or Tramway Market ( near Kingsbury South ) other backpackers in search of a tree! That packing list by clicking here ) s what we ate dinner and refilled water at Fork. Visitors wishing to give back to the simple TRT Association maps that in! Affiliate Disclosure: this site participates in affiliate Programs, including the climb up Twin Peaks, just the! Long miles of uninspiring forest until Barker Pass rolls across open hillsides decorated with wildflowers brockway Tahoe. Did it, even if you are also able to use this Trail must! But no easy task equestrians are prohibited from some sections of the most scenic long distance Hikes in the and... I felt it was also during this trip my outdoor adventures were a few patches snow! Strongly encourages the use of bear canisters as the TRT hike when 're! 122,200 acres of cobalt blue water, and backpacking of bear canisters as the fine-tuning of gear... Challenge as well as on the Tahoe Rim Trail thru hike Adventure hard! @ tahoerimtrail.org phone: ( 775 ) 298-4485 mountain bike restrictions ; Dogs are on. Push ourselves of water capacity: 3 liters in a Platypus 4 L.!