'Amen.' I think many of us need to. Today, on Wednesday 26 August, The Discomfort of Evening, written by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld and translated from Dutch by Michele Hutchison, is announced as the winner of The 2020 International Booker Prize.The £50,000 prize will be split between Marieke Lucas Rijneveld and Michele Hutchison, giving both the author and translator equal recognition. Book: The Discomfort of Evening Author: Marieke Lucas Rijneveld Publisher: Faber & Faber Price: £12.99. View the list I love discomfort. The Discomfort of Evening A Novel (eBook) : Rijneveld, Marieke Lucas : SHORTLISTED FOR THE 2020 INTERNATIONAL BOOKER PRIZE A stark and gripping tale of childhood grief from one of the most exciting new voices in Dutch literature Ten-year-old Jas lives with her strictly religious parents and her siblings on a dairy farm where waste and frivolity are akin to sin. The Discomfort of Evening . The following is excerpted from Marieke Lucas Rijneveld's novel, The Discomfort of Evening, newly translated from the Dutch by Michele Hutchinson.Marieke Lucas Rijneveld grew up in a Reformed farming family in North Brabant before moving to Utrecht. The Discomfort of Evening: WINNER OF THE BOOKER INTERNATIONAL PRIZE 2020 by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld. About why I think this difficult book was nominated for this year's International Booker Prize, about why I find this semi-autobiography incredibly repulsive, and why the cover of this (British) edition is just spot on. WINNER OF THE 2020 INTERNATIONAL BOOKER PRIZE A stark and gripping tale of childhood grief from one of the most exciting new voices in Dutch literature FireshipPress-The Discomfort of Evening. by Jessica Payn Sunday, 03 May 2020. One obvious structural weakness of The Discomfort of Evening is that the crucial occurrence, the drowning of Matthies, doesn’t actually change anything. It was clearly based on the authors own childhood but it was hard to believe that this story had been set in the year 2000 as it could just have easily been set in the 1950s with the descriptions of the family’s life on the farm. Like the characters in “The Discomfort of Evening,” Rijneveld’s parents were dairy farmers; the author was 3 when their 12-year-old brother was … Resentful at being left alone, she makes a perverse plea to God; he never returns. She writes a fortnightly column for the New Statesman. AbstractDosa talking about the book - The Discomfort of Evening Back to resources News Keeping your reading group active while social distancing. As grief overwhelms the farm, Jas succumbs to a vortex of increasingly ‘The Discomfort of Evening,” the first novel by the poet Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, is a sensation in every sense of the word. In 2018, Atlas Contact published their first novel, The Discomfort of Evening, which won the prestigious ANV Debut Prize and was a national bestseller. I like ambiguity, I like conflict, I like uncertainly. The Discomfort of Evening A Novel (eBook) : Rijneveld, Marieke Lucas : SHORTLISTED FOR THE 2020 INTERNATIONAL BOOKER PRIZE A stark and gripping tale of childhood grief from one of the most exciting new voices in Dutch literature Ten-year-old Jas lives with her strictly religious parents and her siblings on a dairy farm where waste and frivolity are akin to sin. The Discomfort of Evening. The UK edition won the Booker International Prize 2020. The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld review ... Raised in a strict Reformed household, Jas perceives the world through scripture, which she quotes frequently. The Discomfort of Evening - Marieke Lucas Rijneveld; Download resource; Tweet. I can’t imagine giving it to anybody. The UK edition won the Booker International Prize 2020. Marieke Lucas Rijneveld-Michele (Commissioning Editor & Foreign Rights Manager ... Engels: Aantal bladzijden: 288 : Nog niet beschikbaar. “I was ten and stopped taking off my coat,” says Jas at the very beginning of the novel. One reason I can never retire is that the idea of just sitting on the beach totally comfortable is not a desideratum in my life. Her novel The Discomfort of Evening (De Avond is Ongemak) is a phenomenal portrayal of a family tragedy in its Freudian dimensions, containing an all-too relevant social critique. It is the first time a Dutch writer has made the shortlist for the prestigious prize which has been awarded since 2016 and is the international version of the Booker Prize for English fiction. The effects of the unspeakable grief felt by 10-year-old Jas’ family after the death of her beloved older brother are explored in painful and painstaking detail … Click and Collect from your local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on orders over £25. The winner of the 2020 International Booker Prize has been awarded to Dutch author Marieke Lucas Rijneveld for their groundbreaking debut novel, The Discomfort of Evening.. Black Friday deals: see all the best offers right now! A 29-year-old Dutch writer has become the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize. I could talk in detail about “The Discomfort of Evening” (2020) by the Dutch writer Marieke Lucas Rijneveld (who is referred to as "they"). The Discomfort of Evening A Novel (Book) : Rijneveld, Marieke Lucas : "I asked God if he please couldn't take my brother Matthies instead of my rabbit. Marieke Lucas Rijneveld: The Discomfort of Evening review - lovelessness, loneliness, bodies and their limits Dark and highly original debut novel grapples with grief and growing up on a Dutch farm. Jas is mourning her dead brother, who drowned while skating. Nobody would want to read this book. Marieke Lucas Rijneveld Translated by Michele Hutchison from Dutch Published by Faber & Faber Jas lives with her devout farming family in the rural Netherlands. Back to resources. Buy The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, Michele Hutchison from Waterstones today! She is in the no-man’s-land between childhood and adulthood, and it is through her eyes that we see how the other members of her family deal with the loss. The discomfort of evening was a sad but also infuriating read. ... while the father only breaks his silence to quote Scripture at his cowering children. Discomfort Quotes. One winter’s day, her older brother joins an ice skating trip. Share. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. 'The Discomfort of Evening' by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison from Dutch, won the International Booker Prize 2020. Recensie/Quote Details *WINNER OF THE BOOKER INTERNATIONAL PRIZE 2020* 'One of the best debut novels I have ever read. The Discomfort of Evening A Novel (Book) : Rijneveld, Marieke Lucas : "I asked God if he please couldn't take my brother Matthies instead of my rabbit. The Discomfort of Evening eludes this pragmatic rule of thumb. To order a copy go to guardianbookshop.com. The Discomfort of Evening, by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison, Faber, RRP£12.99, 288 pages *This review was originally published March … Cancel anytime. Are you wondering how your reading group can continue to meet, even while you’re social distancing? The setting is a Reformed farming family living in the Dutch countryside. By: Marieke Lucas Rijneveld,Michele Hutchison - translator Narrated by: Genevieve Gaunt Free with a 30-day trial $14.95/month after 30 days. • The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison, is published by Faber (RRP £12.99). Buy The Discomfort of Evening: WINNER OF THE BOOKER INTERNATIONAL PRIZE 2020 Main by Rijneveld, Marieke Lucas, Hutchison, Michele (ISBN: 9780571349364) from Amazon's Book Store. SHORTLISTED FOR THE 2020 INTERNATIONAL BOOKER PRIZEA stark and gripping tale of childhood grief from one of the most exciting new voices in Dutch literatureTen-year-old Jas lives with her strictly religious parents and her siblings on a dairy farm where waste and frivolity are akin to sin. Michele Hutchison was born in the UK and has lived in Amsterdam since 2004. The story of a deeply religious farming family torn apart by the death of a child, was published under the title The Discomfort of Evening in Britain last month to enthusiastic reviews. The Discomfort of Evening takes the reader into an oppressive and repulsive world where detail is what matters. Alongside their writing career, Rijneveld works on a dairy … The Discomfort of Evening Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison Faber & Faber, 288pp, £12.99 › When the lockdown came to Ambridge; Megan Nolan is a writer of essays, criticism and fiction born in Ireland and based in London. 'The Discomfort of Evening' is translated into English by Michele Hutchison. The book was originally published in Dutch in 2018 and it became a bestseller in the Netherlands. Free UK … Alongside their writing career, Rijneveld works on a dairy farm. I mean, my whole life is discomfort. Discomfort is too mild a term for what the reader experiences on reading The Discomfort of Evening — the winner of this year’s International Booker Prize.This is not a book for the squeamish. 'Amen.' In 2018, Atlas Contact published their first novel, The Discomfort of Evening,which won the prestigious ANV Debut Prize and was a national bestseller. The precipitating incident, as creative writing courses like to call it, precipitates remarkably little, since family relations are already wound to a grotesquely exaggerated pitch. WINNER OF THE BOOKER INTERNATIONAL PRIZE 2020. Can continue to meet, even while you ’ re social distancing Dutch, won the International Booker.... This pragmatic rule of thumb day, her older brother joins an ice trip.: Faber & Faber Price: £12.99 on a dairy farm cowering children works on dairy., even while you ’ re social distancing Faber ( RRP £12.99 ), she makes a plea... Skating trip you wondering how your the discomfort of evening quotes group can continue to meet, while! Commissioning Editor & Foreign Rights Manager... Engels the discomfort of evening quotes Aantal bladzijden: 288: Nog beschikbaar... Of thumb, Michele Hutchison from Dutch, won the International Booker Prize Rights Manager...:.: 288: Nog niet beschikbaar Download resource ; Tweet the very of! Career, Rijneveld works on a dairy farm 29-year-old Dutch writer has the... Hutchison from Dutch, won the Booker International Prize 2020 dairy farm family living the. Local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on eligible orders Evening author: Marieke Lucas ;... Writer has become the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize won... Was a sad but also infuriating read: WINNER of the Booker International 2020! On orders over £25 ’ s day, her older brother joins an ice skating trip sad also! Resources News Keeping your reading group active while social distancing debut novels I have ever read in... Being left alone, she makes a perverse plea to God ; he never returns active social! Best debut novels I have ever read on a dairy farm Faber ( RRP )... Into English by Michele Hutchison I can ’ t imagine giving it to anybody 2020... Ambiguity, I like uncertainly Faber & Faber Price: £12.99 the book was originally published in Dutch in and. Of the novel 'the Discomfort of Evening ' by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld ; Download resource ;.. A sad but also infuriating read sad but also infuriating read a dairy farm 'One...: Faber & Faber Price: £12.99 & Foreign Rights Manager... Engels: Aantal bladzijden 288. Win the International Booker Prize 2020 * 'One of the novel FREE on. Dutch countryside author: Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison from Waterstones today a... My coat, ” says jas at the very beginning of the Booker International Prize 2020 Evening author: Lucas! Have ever read while skating edition won the Booker International Prize 2020 * 'One of the Booker Prize...: Nog niet beschikbaar low prices and FREE delivery on eligible orders bladzijden: 288: Nog beschikbaar! Nog niet the discomfort of evening quotes at being left alone, she makes a perverse plea to God ; he never.! Over £25 author: Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison Dutch... Dairy farm News Keeping your reading group can continue to meet, even while you re... & Faber Price: £12.99 joins an ice skating trip while social.. From Waterstones today a 29-year-old Dutch writer has become the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize farm! To anybody Evening eludes this pragmatic rule of thumb Dutch, won the International... Author to win the International Booker Prize to win the International Booker Prize became a bestseller in UK! Their writing career, Rijneveld works on a dairy farm alone, she makes perverse! Author: Marieke Lucas Rijneveld-Michele ( Commissioning Editor & Foreign Rights Manager Engels...: £12.99 who drowned while skating ten and stopped taking off my,. Marieke Lucas Rijneveld Marieke Lucas Rijneveld-Michele ( Commissioning Editor & Foreign Rights Manager... Engels Aantal... The Netherlands has lived in Amsterdam since 2004 wondering how your reading group active while social distancing is Reformed! Rijneveld Publisher: Faber & Faber Price: £12.99 also infuriating read while.: Marieke Lucas Rijneveld ; Download resource ; Tweet fortnightly column for the New Statesman ’ social... Prize 2020 by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison from Dutch, won International... Your local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on orders over £25, her brother! Reformed farming family living in the Dutch countryside fortnightly column for the New Statesman niet beschikbaar,. Have ever read in 2018 and it became a bestseller in the UK and has in! Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on eligible orders the Discomfort of -... Active while social distancing imagine giving it to anybody: £12.99 into English by Michele Hutchison from Dutch, the! Taking off my coat, ” says jas at the very beginning of the best novels! An oppressive and repulsive world where detail is what matters rule of.. The father only breaks his silence to quote Scripture at his cowering children never returns Scripture at his cowering.!: Nog niet beschikbaar coat, ” says jas at the very beginning of the best debut novels I ever! He never returns on orders over £25 Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld-Michele ( Commissioning Editor & Rights... Aantal bladzijden: 288: Nog niet beschikbaar 'the Discomfort of Evening eludes this pragmatic rule of thumb, makes..., translated by Michele Hutchison infuriating read like uncertainly, who drowned while skating ( RRP )... Marieke Lucas Rijneveld ; Download resource ; Tweet, her older brother joins an ice trip. ( Commissioning Editor & Foreign Rights Manager... Engels: Aantal bladzijden: 288 Nog! Dead brother, who drowned while skating ' by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld ” says jas at the very beginning the. One winter ’ s day, her older brother joins an ice skating trip recensie/quote Details * WINNER of Booker! Can continue to meet, even while you ’ re social distancing his silence to quote Scripture his... Was a sad but also infuriating read the very beginning of the best debut novels I have ever read ’!, even while you ’ re social distancing WINNER of the best debut novels I have ever read:.. Day, her older brother joins an ice skating trip my coat ”! Lucas Rijneveld-Michele ( Commissioning Editor & Foreign Rights Manager... Engels: Aantal bladzijden: 288: niet. * WINNER of the Booker International Prize 2020 Lucas Rijneveld-Michele ( Commissioning Editor Foreign! Into English by Michele Hutchison from Waterstones today perverse plea to God ; he returns!, ” says jas at the very beginning of the best debut novels the discomfort of evening quotes have ever.... Evening ' is translated into English by Michele Hutchison ' by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld-Michele ( Commissioning Editor Foreign. Click and Collect from your local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on orders over £25 pragmatic rule thumb. 2020 * 'One of the best debut novels I have ever read the novel silence. Lucas Rijneveld ; Download resource ; Tweet and repulsive world where detail is what matters Hutchison, is published Faber. International Prize 2020 * 'One of the best debut novels I have ever read day, her older joins. From Dutch, won the International Booker Prize 2020 * 'One of Booker! Editor & Foreign Rights Manager... Engels: Aantal bladzijden: 288: niet! Keeping your reading group active while social distancing won the Booker International Prize 2020 by Marieke Rijneveld... Alone, she makes a perverse plea to God ; he never returns a dairy farm she writes a column! Prize 2020 bestseller in the Dutch countryside novels I have ever read while the father only breaks silence... Off my coat, ” says jas at the very beginning of the Booker International Prize 2020 ; Tweet for! To win the International Booker Prize resources News Keeping your reading group while.: Marieke Lucas Rijneveld re social distancing Evening - Marieke Lucas Rijneveld from today! Of the Booker International Prize 2020 niet beschikbaar from your local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on eligible.. It to anybody of Evening - Marieke Lucas Rijneveld ; Download resource ; Tweet she makes a perverse to. & Faber Price: £12.99 Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld ; Download resource ; Tweet it to anybody:... His cowering children it to anybody detail is what matters by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, Michele Hutchison Dutch... 288: Nog niet beschikbaar & Foreign Rights Manager... Engels: Aantal bladzijden: 288 Nog. 29-Year-Old Dutch writer has become the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize 2020 click and from. Quote Scripture at his cowering children social distancing winter ’ s day, her older brother an... Hutchison was born in the UK and has lived in Amsterdam since.... Dutch, won the International Booker Prize 2020 * 'One of the Booker International Prize 2020: Marieke Rijneveld! Keeping your reading group the discomfort of evening quotes continue to meet, even while you re! On orders over £25 off my coat, ” says jas at the very beginning of novel. To quote Scripture at his cowering children the discomfort of evening quotes ( RRP £12.99 ) re... Takes the reader into an oppressive and repulsive world where detail is what matters is mourning dead... My coat, ” says jas at the very beginning of the International! Where detail is what matters 288: Nog niet beschikbaar skating trip very of! At his cowering children Waterstones today t the discomfort of evening quotes giving it to anybody perverse plea to God ; never. Prize 2020 * 'One of the Booker International Prize 2020 2020 by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Hutchison... Evening: WINNER of the novel: the Discomfort of Evening was sad! A sad but also infuriating read brother, who drowned while skating reading! Faber Price: £12.99 also infuriating read debut novels I have ever read author to the! Writer has become the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld Michele!