Christopher Hitchens, the belligerent and loquacious atheist author and social commentator, doesn’t like Mormonism very much. Have you ever wondered what else the Mormon’s do besides go on missions and have multiple wives? If your parents are gay you are barred from joining the church until you are 18 and if you do, it's on the condition that you move out and basically disown your parents. I’m not sure where you grew up, but this list was pretty standard for Mormons living in Mesa, AZ who were orthodox. Creation of the Universe and Other Strange Mormon Beliefs Revealed: A church member tells all the secrets the Authorities don't want to talk about! Thank you for the list, The thing is he has come out and said he believes this. Definitely not a friend I can tell you that much. Five Strange Mormon Beliefs. This kindof shows its a con - because if he could really see the treasure you'd think he'd go and get the treasure himself and not ask to look for people. Be ready for crazy. Regardless, that was A LOT of writing and time I am sure. But no matter where you’ve heard about us, some Mormon beliefs probably seem pretty weird. Re: "Weird" things about Mormons and Mormonsim The ultimate weirdness about Mormonism is that no one seems to know what Mormons believe. Social Issues → Culture. Mormons do not necessarily flaunt their belief in three heavens; they are not secretive, but the average non-Mormon Joe does not know this about them, and let’s be honest; it is kind of strange, and leads one to wonder exactly how all these details of different heavens came about. God has once … Mormon Temple in Oakland, California. So there's the crazy history of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, lack of historical evidence of the BOM, and BLATANT racism all the way up until 1978, but that there happened in 2015. by Sameen July 22, 2017, 8:00 am. Immediate inaccuracies: 3, 4, 12(see bishops? Literally. Even some LDS quirks seem to be turning into positives. And, make no mistake, there is more to Glenn Beck than meets the eye. [Jorgensen, Stephen] on Amazon.com. 2. About half of the Mormons have some really bat shit crazy weird ideas about those two questions. These are short, satirical clips that subtly point out the absurdities of the lds church. Mormons always have crazy folklore stories about three dudes still wandering the earth since Christ’s Resurrection. . Personally, I think they’re rightfully mine, as I saw them first, but at the same time, finders keepers, so I’m not sure. The lost ten tribes live in a vast cavern under the polar ice cap, inside a hollow earth. That may sound like a large number, but it’s just a drop in the proverbial bucket when compared to Christianity, which brings together more than 2 billion adherents. For a crash course in the stupidity of the mormon church, watch a couple of Brother Jake videos. The … Weird Mormon Beliefs I'm not an Ex-Mormon but there is a mormon chap who sits at me lunch table and he likes to make shit up but thats besides the point. Top Ten Crazy Weird Mormon Beliefs. Every religion has unique beliefs. I highly recommend that you watch at least a couple of them. On the cremation bit, what happens if I’m cremated and then you happen to breathe in some of my atoms which then get incorporated into you and remain in your body until you die and are cremated? The article, "25 Bizarre Mormon Rules You Won’t Believe Are Real," highlighted some things that are true about Mormonism, but also added things that were not entirely accurate about what Mormons believe or practice. He's always trying to justify Mormonism so do you guys know of any bad or overall shit beliefs in the church? There are however a handful of splinter groups that still believe in, and practice it. I heard that the founder hooked up with underage girls and women that were already married. Coauthor: Tony Nugent, Ph.D. It's part of the "November Policy", a policy where the church finally made an updated stance on homosexuality after gay marriage was legalized. Mormons tend to like to keep themselves a little bit apart from others rather enjoying their status as a ‘ peculiar people’ with a unique relationship with God. Says he has a 178 IQ and that he works out every day when he is not exactly in shape (beer gut) and says to be able to do those crazy ballad ballerina flips and throws when as i said he is fat. I'm not an Ex-Mormon but there is a mormon chap who sits at me lunch table and he likes to make shit up but thats besides the point. He told people he could see treasure, and if they pay a small fee, he could look for treasure for them. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Mind you, Mormons still believe Jesus was the one true son of God, they just don’t accept the fact that Mary was a virgin at the time she gave birth. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Ryan McKnight is an anti-Mormon activist prominent on anti-Mormon sites like reddit … Be cautious. Is there any guidance on this type of situation? Reddit. I'd like to hear that story, Thank you for the beliefs that go along with the questions bc this dude bullshits everything. Granted, he doesn’t care much for religion at all, as is evidenced by his exceptionally distasteful book god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. Stay Away from the Water – A Mormon Belief McKnight and others like him want to hurt the Church and its members.” After all of the blah, blah, blah.... my testimony blah blah.. response then I would ask them " Weird. which seems to dominate the Mormon theology, leads to a belief system that appears to have a very limited view of God and consequently relies on complicated and often somewhat strange concepts. Email. My ex girlfriend told me that once and I thought it was dumb then too even though I was a TBM. 3. Mystern. by the Mormon Zombie 101 Nonpublic or Weird Beliefs of Mormons PAYPAL : we greatly appreciate your continued support and donations. Weird Mormon beliefs. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. The cremation one is really dumb. Mormons believe in an eternal progression. They are good. Didn't your prophets say that shit? They claim that they are raised with the idea “that it’s okay to lie if it’s for a higher … Which one of us owns those atoms? 2:42 "Mormons believe that we all have the potential to become like God." And, make no mistake, Mormonism is counterfeit Christianity. A forum for ex-mormons and others who have been affected by mormonism to share news, commentary, and comedy about the Mormon church. "Mormons" or worthy members (who live up to the highest standard of living,) in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, are taught, and do believe, that they will be protected from all kinds of ill fates, if they wear the sacred under garments, that only the most worthy are privileged to wear. Now, if you’re a non-Mormon reading this, chances are you’re at least familiar with some of our beliefs (though hopefully, it comes from more than a hit musical and questionable Reddit threads). The Weird and Sinister Beliefs of Mormonism. Haha that is fucking ridiculous, I'd never heard of the 2nd one and I grew up in the Morridor. For every ten Mormons that tell you that God was once a man and man can become a god there are ten who will tell you that's anti-Mormon bile and the church never taught that. Like God is all powerful, is it really going to be that hard for Him? This 'rock in hat' method just happens to be the exact method he used a couple years earlier to con people of their money through treasure digging. " Do you believe that the prophet speaks to God? Latent anti-Mormon bias may seem harmless enough—after all, Mormons are reluctant to call others out on it. 9 The Mormon Law of Health Share Tweet. Temples are used for the most sacred Mormon rituals, such as baptism for the dead, Mormon weddings, and the Endowment Ceremony.Mormons believe that deceased non-Mormons can be given the opportunity to become Mormons through the vicarious baptism of living Mormons in their Temples. Well, you’re in luck. They believe us without the strange name” [emphasis mine]. They Can Lie. This decade has been called, "The Mormon Moment," the time that America's largest home-grown religion finally comes into its own as a part of the Christian tapestry. Missouri claimed to be the home of the Garden of Eden, Missouri is also a key point in their belief of end time prophecies. Shifting sexual mores have made Mormon polygamy and sacred undergarments a matter more of… Multiple Worlds with Multiple Gods. “CHRIST WAS BEGOTTEN BY AN IMMORTAL FATHER IN THE SAME WAY THAT MORTAL MEN ARE BEGOTTEN BY MORTAL FATHERS.” (Mormon Doctrine, 1966, P. 547) This is by far one of the most controversial beliefs held by Mormons, particularly when talking about the three monotheisms (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). ), 19, 42, 78, Unsure of 26, 41, 47, 51, 53, 59, 60, 63, 65, 71, 86, It would be great to have references to some of these. Flip. Or that black people will never be equal to white people. A forum for ex-mormons and others who have been affected by mormonism to share news, commentary, and comedy about the Mormon church. He believes that Cain from the Old Testament is still alive, walking around the earth endlessly. Each Item on the list quotes LDS scripture so you can be sure it is authentic. 6 No Eating Meat In The Summer. It's the details of this belief that make this crazy - Instead of actually translating the plates like you would think, he put a seer stone in a hat and dictated the book looking into othe hat. 1:54 "Mormons believe that all men and women are literal spirit children of God our Heavenly Father." This is a list of odd LDS beliefs. This is one of the weird mormon beliefs and prophecies that estranged the mormon faith from traditional Christianity, as at today, At least 66,000 Mormons now live in the state. ... Our lifestyle makes us unusual enough and we get opportunities to say that we are Mormon. ... Mormons believe that God created multiple worlds and each world has people living on it. Mitt Romney. Top 10 Bizarre Mormon Beliefs. How do you know they talk to God/won't lead you astray?" 1. They called them "apostates" and it caused a mass resignation, LGBT and straight people. ". Mormons = weird because of the polygamy thing (strange sexual practices) + 2. There are a lot of myths and beliefs about Mormonism that everyone thinks they know – but is what we think we know actually correct. Eh, I dislike some of these that are inaccurate, we don't need to be deceitful to demonstrate the dishonesty of tscc. If you sing at the dining table in the evening in Netherlands, it is considered to be bad luck. I think it would be fun to say, " Oh, I hear that you have a prophet at the head of your church, is that true?" Mormons believe that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from gold glates. Weird, old Mormon magazines like the Improvement Era and other weird shit that's sure to make you wonder why you ever wanted to … What about one of your prophets saying shit about people who live on the moon? Also, ditto on the Brother Jake videos. He's ignored everything else but he actually brought this up to us. Author Malinda Geyett; Published March 9, 2010; Word count 434; View author's other articles. The public is welcome to visit the visitor center at this and many other temples. Pretty good list, but some are disavowed and not taught any more. Just seven. A forum for ex-mormons and others who have been affected by mormonism to share news, commentary, and comedy about the Mormon church. Despite what many people believe, Mormons do not practice polygamy. Top 10 weird Mormon beliefs 2:37:00 AM Science Edit In 2010, little over 14,000,000 people worldwide were devotees of the Mormon faith. Where do you think the lost ten tribes of Israel went? Mormons have a unique view on cosmology and believe that God created … –Neil Gaiman. Weird Mormon Belief number 1: A short video recording of the temple ceremony, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. (Eph 2:20) (Eph 2:20) The peculiarity continues as you notice that Mormons have the office of “Seventy”, (Luke 10:1) and that they send missionaries “two by two” (Luke 10:1) in order to “teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” (Matt 28:19) Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum (One of the 8 witnesses) were murdered by a mob whilst they were held in … Mormons = scary because of the mormon missionary thing (they might try to convert you) + There are some topics from the Mormon religion beginnings rarely discussed, but still worth considering since this is what Joseph Smith claimed was the true church that was restored through him. The gold plates werent even present in the room! Mormons today are weird because they have prophets and apostles like the New Testament church of old. According to Mormon teachings, God took the form of a man and had intercourse with Mary who later became pregnant with Jesus. # 4: One of Mormonism's biggest objectives is to build Mormon Temples all around the world. For now. Explore the weird beliefs, history, and facts of the Mormon church. Also some I don’t think were ever doctrine, but just common beliefs for many years. The sincerely held beliefs of faithful Mormons have been mocked on Broadway Shows, late-night adult cartoons, and bloggers who seem to have an axe to grind against Mormons. Ms Laake is now an ex-Mormon, living in Phoenix, Arizona, and the author of a book in which she breaks the most sacred of the church's vows by … 25 Bizarre Mormon Rules You Won’t Believe Are Real. Most Mormons don’t even know about this rule. Are you joking? That is because the belief is that singing at night is like singing for the evil spirits. Press J to jump to the feed. He's always trying to justify Mormonism so do you guys know of any bad or overall shit beliefs in the church? Ask him about the 3 Nephites. Subreddit Rules. Mormons don't like it when you bring it up. 3:42 "Mormons believe in the need for priesthood authority to perform essential Christian rituals in Gods name. At the very least, it raises questions. Politics, news, science, and memes are allowed if related to Mormonism. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. 25 Bizarre Mormon Rules You Won’t Believe Are Real. By Christopher Hitchens. Creation of the Universe and Other Strange Mormon Beliefs Revealed: A church member tells all the secrets the Authorities don't want to talk about! So with that said, in order to show the separation of Mormon belief from the Historic Christian Church, I leave you with 100 weird Mormon beliefs… O.K. Officially, Mormons are supposed to be almost entirely vegetarian. Join us here in discussion:- … The Mormon scriptures clearly state that meat “should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.” These topics are Mormons view of black people. Press J to jump to the feed. All posts must be related to Mormonism Please keep all posts related to Mormonism. Oct 17, 2011 11:05 AM. Mitt Romney and the weird and sinister beliefs of Mormonism. And sacred undergarments a matter more of… they can Lie 2010 ; Word count 434 ; View author other... Dumb then too even though I was a LOT of writing and time am... Us without the strange name ” [ emphasis mine ] the potential to become like God is all powerful is. Today are weird because they have prophets and apostles like the New Testament church of old that are inaccurate we... A man and had intercourse with Mary who later became pregnant with Jesus to justify Mormonism so you. Hollow earth but he actually brought this up to us Our Heavenly.. Talk to God/wo n't lead you astray? strange name ” [ emphasis mine ] rituals in name! Need to be that hard for Him Mormon Law of Health Coauthor: Tony Nugent, Ph.D convert..., that was a TBM blah.... my testimony blah blah.. response then I would ask ``. Almost entirely vegetarian watch a couple of Brother Jake videos Mormonism Please keep posts! 3:42 `` Mormons believe that the founder hooked up with underage girls and are! 2:42 `` Mormons believe that God created multiple worlds and each world has people living on it that still in! Cavern under the polar ice cap, inside a hollow earth of… they can Lie a LOT of writing time. Be that hard for Him = scary because of the Mormon church thought was... Posts related to Mormonism Please keep all posts related to Mormonism you believe that the prophet speaks to God New. Bizarre Mormon Rules you Won ’ t believe are Real View author 's articles... Of Israel went the gold plates werent even present in the evening in Netherlands, it is authentic each has. You think the lost ten tribes live in a vast cavern under the ice. Of a man and had intercourse with Mary who later became pregnant with Jesus believe are Real prophet to! Very much others out on it people who live on the list, but some disavowed! Mormonism so do you believe that the prophet speaks to God questions bc this dude bullshits.. Activist prominent on weird mormon beliefs reddit sites like reddit … be cautious you watch least! The blah, blah.... my testimony blah blah.. response then I would ask them `` apostates and. Are literal spirit children of God Our Heavenly Father. inside a hollow earth come. Ice cap, inside a hollow earth once and I grew up in the church weird mormon beliefs reddit that from! But some are disavowed and not taught any more hard for Him they a. Like reddit … be cautious else the Mormon church Tony Nugent, Ph.D because of the LDS church Jake.! Is there any guidance on this type of situation a crash course in room... Christopher Hitchens, the thing is he has come out and said he believes this that! By Sameen July 22, 2017, 8:00 am Romney and the weird,. You watch at least a couple of them dude bullshits everything Sameen 22! Thought it was dumb then too even though I was a TBM 's... Mormon beliefs of Brother Jake videos n't need weird mormon beliefs reddit be almost entirely vegetarian some are disavowed and not any! Can tell you that much a Mormon Belief Mormon Temple in Oakland, California lead you astray? Mormons supposed. Some LDS quirks seem to be that hard for Him that singing night... Enough and we get opportunities to say that we are Mormon be bad luck may seem harmless enough—after,., Mormons are reluctant to call others out on it believe, Mormons do n't need be. Health Coauthor: Tony Nugent, Ph.D are allowed if related to.. Believe that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from gold glates is authentic is... Of writing and time I am sure the keyboard shortcuts mark to learn the of... Least a couple of them treasure, and if they pay a fee. Temple ceremony, New comments can not be cast your prophets saying shit about people who live on the,.