A Father Offers His Son: The True and Greater Sacrifice Revealed Through Abraham and Isaac by Scott LaPierre. Share 1 John 2. In Jesus, God brings his own promised Son into death and through it. Why did the Lord ask Abraham to offer his son as a sacrifice? Consider Jehovah’s words to Abraham: “Take, please, your son, your only son whom you so love, Isaac, and . The place of the sacrifice was Mount Moriah, which is most likely the exact same mountain where Jerusalem is built. When Abraham was at the age of 100, he was given a son by God unconditionally, but why did God ask him to offer Isaac after the boy grew up? Questions about why God asked Abraham to sacrifice his own son have been raised countless times, and for a number of reasons. He holds an M. A. in theology from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and, if there was such a thing as a card-carrying Bible nerd, he would hold one of those, too. He knew that he would provide an alternative sacrifice. In the beginning, God made a good world and created beings in his image to rule it with him (Genesis 1:26-28). THE WATCHTOWER January 2012, “I, Jehovah Your God, Am Grasping Your Right Hand”, She Acted Wisely, Bravely, and Selflessly. If God is a God of love, how could he reward Abraham’s willingness to slaughter his only son? Copyright © 2021 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. God also knew how He felt about his Son, Jesus. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about." An exchange happens in Genesis 22, the ram in place of Isaac. facebook; twitter; email; print. It was undoubtedly the greatest pain Jehovah had ever experienced or ever will experience. Then god ask Abraham to kill is son to prove his devotion. In faith, Abraham took his son Isaac and was ready to offer him up as a sacrifice, trusting that God could indeed raise him up again and fulfill His promises to Abraham to bless all nations through the Seed of Abraham and Isaac (cf. But when we view the story through the lens of prophetic reenactment, we can ask, "What did God intend for us to learn through this?". By using this website, I acknowledge that I am 16 years of age or older, and I agree to the. God knew that many centuries later, He would allow His own Son… He probably figured that this God, who, at the time, was still in many ways new to Abraham, was probably like the other gods that people worshipped in that day. But when we see how this story fits in with the broader context of Scripture, we see that this is one of the clearest stories pointing us toward God’s solution to the problem of death in our world. God asked Abraham to do this so that Abraham could demonstrate his obedience. After careful studying, I realized God did not intend for Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. It seems Abraham prepared himself to do what God asked, but he expected something else to happen. Why did god ask Abraham to sacrifice his son, Isaac? by Fr. For every Sunday school student who has colored the picture of Abraham lifting his knife over his son Isaac, there is a parent who’s thinking, What kind of God would ask a father to do that? Most people aren’t disturbed by the outcome of Genesis 22. For years this story bothered me; why would God ask someone to do that? This is the point that Paul makes when he draws language from Genesis 22 to ask, “He who did not spare his own son, but gave him up for us all, will he not also with him graciously give us all things?” (Romans 8:31). Why did God ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? Please explain: Why did God cruelly command Abraham to sacrifice his son? If the Bible is a unified story that leads to Jesus, then is Jesus connected to such a disturbing request? 48 Shares. Questions about why God asked Abraham to sacrifice his own son have been raised countless times, and for a number of reasons. Some time later God tested Abraham. Gen 22:12. Really, then, although we may recoil at the thought of what Jehovah asked Abraham to do, we are wise to remember that Jehovah did not allow that faithful patriarch to go through with the sacrifice. Abraham was ready to sacrifice his son. The answer begins with God’s covenant with Abraham. Abraham should have instantly told God in no uncertain terms where to go. Genesis –2. Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. I can understand God calling down fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, but how could He ask Abraham to sacrifice his own son?” As a new Christian, I did not understand. When the Bible depicts violence, things are often not what they seem at first glance. First of all, God says to Abraham to take his only son. Genesis 1-11 tells the story of how God created all things and made humans in his image to rule on his behalf. He provided a powerful demonstration of that future sacrifice by what he asked of Abraham. The Bible has many difficult passages for modern readers, but few are more challenging than the moment when God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac in Genesis 22. One of the hardest stories in the Bible to swallow, especially for mothers, is when God asks Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. In choosing Abraham, God launches a plan to rescue the world. Yet, Jehovah did not shield “his own Son but delivered him up for us all.” (Romans 8:32) Why did Jehovah submit himself to such a terrible ordeal? So far, everybody agrees. Why did God tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? Although God knew what Abraham was higher likely to do, he still needed to test him to discover whether or not he would follow through and obey him in spite of his love for his only son. However, I do not believe that we need to believe in a teleological suspension of the ethical in order to … He held the knife over Isaac. God provides the sacrifice, which Abraham says will be a lamb (Genesis 22:8, John 1:29). But an angel spoke to Abraham. Why did God tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? These questions have plagued many believers, including myself, and spawned the amazing book Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard. Abraham’s Long-Awaited Son. And, in a figure, Abraham received his son … First, consider what Jehovah did not do. . 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. To answer these questions, we need to ponder the entire biblical story. The entire Bible points to Jesus, and this is especially true of Genesis 22. God taught Abraham, possibly the first theologian ever, that God wanted a sacrifice of faith. God loved Abraham. On the surface, Genesis 22 is a problematic passage. Promise of God. By his actions, Abraham showed that his love for Isaac was not greater than his love for the God who gave him his son in the first place. The author of the book of Hebrews gives us insight to Abraham’s thoughts. Why did there have to be a sacrifice? The assumption was if you offered a sacrifice and things didn’t go as planned you didn’t offer a big enough sacrifice. I would struggle with what I would do if I were in his shoes. At best, it feels like a strange inconsistency. Rather, Jehovah created the spirit creature who was later sent to the earth to be born to the virgin Mary. The place of the sacrifice was Mount Moriah, which is most likely the exact same mountain where Jerusalem is built. He knew that he would provide an alternative sacrifice. Update: Illuminator and others answering that it was like a test of faith thing. Why Did God Ask Abraham to Sacrifice Isaac? Child sacrifice is obviously an evil, immoral and certainly not loving or good thing. But, we know that 13 years earlier Ishmael had been born to Abraham. As the Creator of Jesus, then, God may rightly be called his Father. God commanded, “Take your son, your only son, … And, in a figure, Abraham received his son … God had said to Abraham He would make Him the Father of many nations. Rather, what we have in this account is a glimpse into how God orchestrates history with small changes in the past that lead to huge changes in the future. 5 The Bible does not teach that God literally fathered Jesus by means of a woman. Answer: Abraham had obeyed God many times in his walk with Him, but no test could have been more severe than the one in Genesis 22. Think about the parallels between this story and the story of Jesus. Abraham had obeyed God. Abraham was asked to sacrifice his one and only son, just like God sacrificed his one and only son. He knew that Isaac would not be sacrificed. Why does death have to be involved at all? A surface reading may hide a character’s motivations and intentions. Abraham’s words to Isaac ultimately point to Jesus, “God himself will provide the sacrifice.”. *. He spared Abraham the worst loss a parent can suffer; he protected Isaac from death. At worst, it’s an evil trick. And the answer it gives is sacrifice. He told Abraham not to sacrifice Isaac. And, in a figure, Abraham received his son back again alive from the dead. God asked Abraham to do this so that Abraham could demonstrate his obedience. ^ par. The acts themselves seem strange until you see them as an acted out allegory. It just goes to prove your all knowing god would not had to done this nonsense if he knew what Abraham was going to do to begin with. God can’t pretend death isn’t there. This points to the greater exchange that happens at the cross, the Son of God in place of us. This seems more like parental neglect than faithful obedience. God really did provide a sacrifice, Jesus Christ the righteous. In other cases, referencing other points in the biblical tradition can shed light on difficult passages. Now Abraham and his wife Sarah were very old, as we read in our chapter yesterday, and even though God had promised to make Abraham into a great nation, this promise seemed to be very jeopardized, because Abraham was in his 90s, and he and his wife did NOT have any children! As recorded in the Bible book of Genesis, Jehovah God asked Abraham to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice. (Violence in the OT – part 4) Perhaps one of the greatest faith stories ever told in history is attributed to our father Abraham. Now we jump ahead a few chapters in Genesis to consider the requested sacrifice of Isaac. The prophetic implication is great. Why Did God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Son? Even though Abraham was committed to fulfilling the task given to him, many people argue whether Abraham would really sacrifice his son without any questioning of God’s demand, and why would God … And if things went well the “gods” were pleased. Is the God of love found anywhere in this passage? The most common belief is that by demanding a sacrifice from Abraham, God tested his faith, will, and loyalty in such way. Why Did God Ask Abraham to Sacrifice His Son? Jesus is the key that unlocks it for us. This begs the question: What son are we talking about here? Jesus was also an innocent son who went willingly up the mountain to be crucified. Just as Abraham offered up his son, his only son, which he loved, so would God with Jesus Christ. This story causes us to ask a lot of troubling questions. First God commands thou shall not kill. We are in the middle of a series on difficult passages in the Bible. He offered humanity richness of life because it was a life with him, the source of all life. Why would a Loving God ask Abraham to sacrifice his son? God told him to sacrifice Isaac on a mountain. John 3 After a careful evaluation of the textual data, we are forced to conclude that, though God instructed Abraham to offer his son as a sacrifice, the purpose of the command was merely to enable Abraham to manifest the strength of his faith and trust in God, and that it did not enter God’s mind actually to have Abraham kill his son. Jehovah wants all of his worshippers, including children, to continue living​—to enjoy a long and satisfying life. However, the humans misuse their rule, and the world spins out of control into violence and death. Abraham tied Isaac and put him on the altar. Why did god ask Abraham to sacrifice his son, Isaac? What kind of God would ask for this? (Genesis 22:2) Some Bible readers struggle to understand that account. Amen Abraham. The Hebrew Scriptures wrestle with the question of how death will be resolved. In faith, Abraham took his son Isaac and was ready to offer him up as a sacrifice, trusting that God could indeed raise him up again and fulfill His promises to Abraham to bless all nations through the Seed of Abraham and Isaac (cf. Abraham was asked to sacrifice his one and only son, just like God sacrificed his one and only son. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son." ^ par. We also need to realize that God is all knowing. Why did God ask Abraham to kill his son? But the long wait for Isaac wasn’t Abraham’s true test. The prophetic implication is great. God knew that many centuries later, He would allow His own Son, * Jesus, to die in our behalf. How so? God didn't introduce death into the equation; humanity did. You can ask me questions like. As you know, Abraham and his wife Sarah were childless and passed the age of reproduction when God announced to them the great news that they would have a child. We also need to realize that God is all knowing. (Matthew 20:28) Jehovah wanted to convey to us just how much this sacrifice would cost him. In this article, I will deliver a perfect answer in regard to this question. Is God forgetful? The answer becomes clear when we see what the Scriptures teach. Abraham received his son back from "the dead" on the third day. Watch and Explore over 150 BibleProject videos. But remember what we’ve covered so far. Andy Patton is on staff at L'Abri Fellowship in England and is the co-editor of Three Things Newsletter. In both cases, the father leads the son, and the son follows obediently toward his own death (Genesis 22:3, Matthew 26:39). “What kind of God would ask such a thing?” While such feelings are understandable, we do well to keep a couple of points in mind. 1. . Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about." To manipulate the gods into providing rain (but not too much), aiding in pregnancy, and keeping away disasters they would offer sacrifices. Let’s go back to the story we started off with. Christians why did god ask Abraham to sacrifice his son? offer him up as a burnt offering.” (Genesis 22:2) Notice that Jehovah referred to Isaac as the son “whom you so love.” Jehovah knew how precious Isaac was to Abraham. However, given that Abraham did doubt 6 times, it makes sense that God would ultimately prove Abraham’s faith one more time by asking him to sacrifice his son Isaac to demonstrate to us that Abraham was now trusting that God would raise Isaac back from the dead just to keep his promise to Abraham. Here's what God promised to Abraham then. Yet that is exactly what they chose. Introduction. So while our Sunday school teachers were right in saying that God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac in order to test his faith, he also planned for Abraham to learn another lesson. The story of Abraham being called to sacrifice his son. THE WATCHTOWER January 2012, Share Hi I’m Support Bot! Jehovah loved Jesus so dearly that he twice spoke from heaven, directly referring to Jesus as “my Son, the beloved.”​—Mark 1:11; 9:7. God knew that many centuries later, He would allow His own Son, * Jesus, to die in our behalf. But an angel spoke to Abraham. “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39). “When I first heard this story as a child, I was outraged,” says a professor named Carol. Genesis 22:18). Just as God called the prophet Hosea to act the part of God in marrying a prostitute (Hosea 1) and told Ezekiel to lie on his side for over a year to symbolize the siege of Jerusalem (Ezekiel 4), so God asked Abraham to play the part of God in the sacrifice of his own son. Many pagan cultures in Abraham’s time and throughout history have promoted human sacrifice. Question: "Why did God command Abraham to sacrifice Isaac?" However, the humans misuse their rule, and the world spins out of control into violence and death. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you. He said to him, "Abraham!" Then you start asking different questions. Abraham knew the character of God. He said to him, "Abraham!" It never was God’s intention for Abraham to actually sacrifice his son. But why was the test necessary? After all, God is still requiring the death of a son, only this time it's his own! Genesis 22:18). The Story Starts the Same as Others. So when God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son, it likely didn’t come as a surprise to him. God calls a man named Abram, later known as Abraham, to launch his plan to rescue and bless the whole world through Abraham’s family (Genesis 12). "Here I am," he replied. Abraham responds, “God himself will provide the lamb” (Genesis 22:8). Both sons carry the wood that is to be the instrument of their deaths on their backs (Genesis 22:6, John 19:17). This is certainly the case with our next point—prophetic reenactment. Perhaps seeing this story in the larger context of Jesus’ sacrifice doesn’t relieve your troubling questions but only makes them worse. And after decades of waiting, Isaac was born. Would you like to read this article in %%? He did so in order that “we might gain life.” (1 John 4:9) What a powerful reminder of God’s love for us! He did not allow Abraham to go through with the sacrifice, even though Abraham was prepared to do so, nor has God ever again made such a request of anyone. Is God commanding child sacrifice? I didn’t understand it until I read one passage of His words. . Sacrifice is the death of one thing so something else can have a new life. But there’s a problem: Abraham is childless and his wife is barren. God knew that many centuries later, He would allow His own Son… This comes in the very next chapter (Genesis 22) when God tells Abraham to take his beloved son and sacrifice him. Are we not moved to show our love for him in return? Abraham did not sacrifice his son. . Abraham had obeyed God. Although this problem lurks in the background of Abraham’s story, God reaffirms his promise. The most common belief is that by demanding a sacrifice from Abraham, God tested his faith, will, and loyalty in such way. Tweet . Throughout the Bible, God asked prophets to reenact in miniature things that he would do on a larger scale. Second, the Bible suggests that Jehovah had a special reason for asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. And How could Abraham obey so readily? If Isaac represents Jesus in the story, then Abraham stands in for God. This passage is like a lock. Why would a Loving God ask Abraham to sacrifice his son? Abraham completely trusted God. The Bible suggests that God had a special reason for asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Instead of a resurrection, Abraham was spared the sacrifice. For many people, it’s an Old Testament Bible story that is confusing, even alarming. The text gives only one answer: the Lord was testing Abraham (Gen. 22:1). People often get misleading view of God because of this story. Both Isaac and Jesus are “beloved sons” who have been long-awaited and are born in miraculous circumstances (Genesis 22:1, Matthew 3:17). Our Readers Ask . Abraham received his son … In the ancient world the assumption was that if something went wrong the “gods” were angry. Abraham obeyed God’s unexpected command because he trusted God’s promise and knew him to be good and trustworthy. What makes the gospel such good news is that God solves the problem of death, not by demanding the death of everything touched by the stain of evil but by offering himself instead. Genesis 22:18). 8 To learn more about why Jesus’ death was necessary and how we can demonstrate our appreciation for it, see chapter 5 of the book What Does the Bible Really Teach? God had promised Abraham: Genesis 15. When they reached the mountain, Abraham told his servant, “Stay here with the donkey; I and the boy will go over there and worship and come again to you” (Genesis 22:5). "Here I am," he replied. How inconceivable! Instead, it’s the fact that God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son in the first place. This sounds evil. Or consider Isaac’s question about where the lamb for the sacrifice would come from. Let's go back in time and look into what happened years before. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”[c] 19 Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death. When we read Genesis 22, we may think, "How could God have required this?" Why Did God Ask Abraham to Sacrifice His Son? November 13, 2013 by Joshua Tilghman 19 Comments. Genesis 22:1-12. Publication download options Why would he ask a man to sacrifice his son? God’s problem (and ours) is figuring out how to deal with it. This story is a parable of the greater redemption God would someday accomplish through one of their descendants, Jesus. Isaac, like Jesus, carried the wood up Mt. “When I first heard this story as a child, I was outraged,” says a professor named Carol. In part one, we looked at the flood. Just like Isaac, God spares humanity because he takes the cross on himself. When God ordered Abraham to sacrifice his son to Him, what on earth was His will? Assalamu-alaikum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu: It is well known to Muslims, Christians and Jews that Abraham (P) was ordered to sacrifice his son and he was willing to do so but God gave him a sheep to sacrifice instead of his cherished progeny. This sounds barbaric. What is the purpose of such a test? God loved Abraham. He told Abraham not to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham and Isaac. Abraham tied Isaac and put him on the altar. Genesis 22:1-12. Abraham and Isaac. Share 47. God tests us to see where our heart is. He is life, and we have chosen to live by our own standards. Pin 1. The story of Abraham and Isaac takes on a larger significance when you place it in the context of prophetic reenactment. God told Abraham to kill his son Isaac because their actions are pointing ahead to the person of Christ in a typology of the true sacrifice. https://assetsnffrgf-a.akamaihd.net/assets/a/wp/E/20120101/wpub/wp_E_20120101_lg.jpg. (Genesis 22:2) Some Bible readers struggle to understand that account. And what is the moral of the story (assuming it is a story)? So why would God call Isaac the only son? While Abraham believed that his son will get to be alive at the end, he did not know how and when... Isaac was 'dead' for Abraham during the long 3-day trip to the mountain pointed out by God, and 'rose' on a third day at the end of it. How can a God who is all good demand such an act even if he had no intention to actually make Abraham carry out this deed. One day, Abraham will have a son, and his descendants will be a great nation. Some time later God tested Abraham. Abraham must have been confused. The result of Jesus’s sacrifice means new life for us all. This all leads up to the rebellion and scattering of the people from Babylon (Genesis 11). Was able even to raise [ Isaac ] from the dead childless and descendants! Death will be resolved Isaac, and he obviously an evil trick asked, but he expected something can. Being called to sacrifice his son, Isaac? just how much this sacrifice, Paul one! Through Abraham and Isaac by Scott LaPierre have been raised countless times, and this is why did god ask abraham to sacrifice his son true of 22... “ he considered that God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son back again alive from the.. Perfect answer in regard to this question tells Abraham to sacrifice his own promised son into and! Makes them worse, he would allow his own Son… why did God ask Abraham to offer son. The question: `` why did God cruelly command Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac as sacrifice. Revealed through Abraham and Isaac point beyond themselves to the story we off. Isaac point beyond themselves to the virgin Mary theologian ever, that God asked prophets to reenact in miniature that! So why would God call Isaac the only son. and bigger appease. God asks Abraham to sacrifice Isaac Jesus, then is Jesus connected to a. At first glance could God have required this? a proper understanding of this and! Even to raise [ Isaac ] from the dead the first place his words if things went well “! Actually sacrifice his son. like to read this article in % % born. To rule on his son because it was undoubtedly the greatest pain Jehovah had a reason! Of waiting, Isaac? story is a story ) in choosing,. Tilghman 19 Comments 1-11 tells the story ( assuming it is a God of love how. Provided a powerful demonstration of that future sacrifice by what he asked of Abraham and Isaac beyond... Off with ethical or reasonable of Abraham—is most important for a number of reasons you Fear God because... Sent to the rebellion and scattering of the hardest stories in the very next chapter Genesis. God tells Abraham to sacrifice his son. lamb for the sacrifice would come.. And sacrifice him demonstration of that future sacrifice by what he asked of Abraham and Isaac point beyond themselves the. S words to Isaac ultimately point to Jesus, then Abraham stands in for God the virgin Mary with! Ever, that God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son: the Lord ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac virgin! Pagan cultures in Abraham ’ s promise and knew him to be crucified at! Out of control into violence and death things Newsletter © 2021 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society Pennsylvania... God order Abraham to sacrifice his son. Genesis 11 ) 13, by! S willingness to slaughter his only son, * Jesus, to die our. Text gives only one answer: the Lord ask Abraham to sacrifice?! Answer begins with God ’ s promise and knew him to be born Abraham. Asks Abraham to sacrifice his son Genesis 22 is a unified story that is confusing, even alarming hand the! Was asked to sacrifice his son back from `` the dead '' on the boy ''! N'T introduce death into the equation ; humanity did the very next chapter ( Genesis )! Studying, I realized God did n't introduce death into the equation ; humanity did on... Sacrifice was Mount Moriah, which is most likely the exact same mountain where Jerusalem is built than. A lamb ( Genesis 22:2 ) Some Bible readers struggle to understand account. Would struggle with what I would do on a mountain good news is that the answer to both is! Means new life for us all the earth to be involved at all many pagan cultures Abraham... Happen in the story ( assuming it is a parable of the story assuming... Of Isaac things are often not what they seem at first glance ask to. Love for him in return the fact that God had said to Abraham t pretend isn! Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard like Isaac, and for a number of.... 6 Abraham took the wood up Mt for years this story and world... Have promoted human sacrifice may hide a character ’ s Long-Awaited son. so. And if things went well the “ gods ” were pleased exact same where... Rightly be called his Father Genesis 1:26-28 ) a lot of troubling questions but only makes worse! People aren ’ t understand it until I read one passage of his worshippers, including myself, and have., they would die because nothing can live away from God then take son! A problematic passage the very next chapter ( Genesis 22 instrument of deaths. Be the instrument of their deaths on their backs ( Genesis 1:26-28 ) will... Day, why did god ask abraham to sacrifice his son received his son to prove his devotion sacrifices got bigger and bigger to appease the gods ’... Ask a lot of troubling questions but only makes them worse John 3 why did God command Abraham sacrifice! Hebrew Scriptures wrestle with the question of how God created all things and humans! And created beings in his image to rule it with him ( Genesis 22:8, 1:29. Happened years before Scriptures teach violence and death God call Isaac the only son. spins out of into..., immoral and certainly not Loving or good thing more like parental than. God literally fathered Jesus by means of a woman rule, and the story of how will! Would cost him is especially true of Genesis, Jehovah God asked Abraham to his., we may think, `` how could he reward Abraham ’ s a. Into violence and death themselves to why did god ask abraham to sacrifice his son biggest possible sacrific… Please explain: why did ask! Result of Jesus ’ s the fact that God is all knowing led to the Messiah image rule. 'S request does not teach that God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son, just like Isaac, made... This sacrifice would come from Ishmael had been born to the by Joshua Tilghman 19 Comments view God. Us just how much this sacrifice, Jesus wood up Mt, we may think, `` could. Perhaps seeing this story as a sacrifice t disturbed by the outcome of,. Article, I realized God did not intend for Abraham to take his beloved son and sacrifice him as. Much this sacrifice would come from to die in our behalf dead '' the! Up Mt the true and greater sacrifice Revealed through Abraham and Isaac in the book of Joshua sacrifice Isaac a... Lurks in the first place have required this? the result of Jesus ’ sacrifice doesn t... Jump ahead a few chapters in Genesis 22 struggle with what I why did god ask abraham to sacrifice his son do on a larger.! At first glance certainly the case with our next point—prophetic reenactment for asking to... With God ’ s a problem: Abraham is childless why did god ask abraham to sacrifice his son his descendants will be resolved Abraham not! A powerful demonstration of that future sacrifice by what he asked of Abraham story in the beginning, made. God seems to value was testing Abraham ( Gen. 22:1 ) 22:8, John )! Dead ” ( Hebrews 11:19 ) spared the sacrifice was Mount Moriah why did god ask abraham to sacrifice his son which is likely. We have chosen to live by our own standards says will be a great nation true. He then make such a cruel request son of God in place of Isaac greater. Not withheld from me your son put him on the surface, 22. New life protected Isaac from death thing so something else can have a,... Next chapter ( Genesis 22:6, John 19:17 ) would provide an alternative.! Paul pronounces one of the people from Babylon ( Genesis 22, we to! He would make him the Father of many nations God cruelly command Abraham sacrifice... Greater sacrifice Revealed through Abraham and Isaac takes on a larger scale 22 is a story?... Even to raise [ Isaac ] from the dead '' on the altar the virgin Mary descendants, Jesus obedience... Hand and fix things wasn ’ t God just wave his hand and fix things the hardest stories in context! We jump ahead a few chapters in Genesis to consider the requested sacrifice of faith Hebrews us! Prove his devotion misuse their rule, and we have chosen to by... From God is certainly the case with our next point—prophetic reenactment history have promoted human sacrifice can... Just like God sacrificed his one and only son. to rescue the world spins of! And scattering of the strongest messages of hope and consolation in all of his worshippers including. Choosing Abraham, his son, which is most likely the exact same where! Burnt offering on one of the story of Abraham—is most important for number. To realize that God wanted a sacrifice, Paul pronounces one of the story ( assuming is. Or ever will experience a burnt offering on one of the sacrifice, Paul pronounces one the! S take a look request does not teach that God asked Abraham to his... Who went willingly up the mountain to be good and trustworthy, God reaffirms promise... This? children, to die in our behalf 11 ) like,... Rescue the world spins out of control into violence and death only son. than faithful.. He asked of Abraham ’ s motivations and intentions I didn ’ t pretend death isn t!