This resource is a citation record only, the Center for Digital Antiquity does not have a copy of this document. Created by the Colorado Plateau Mountain Bike Association in 1988, the Kokopelli Trail has one of the oldest FKT cultures of any long-distance mountain bike trail. Find details on their records alongside a few photos taken by … Follow the Kokopelli Trail signs as the trail follws part of the Lyon's Loop that takes off to the west. Click the link below to find out how to start. The previous record in the style was set by Paul Pomeroy on a long weekend from work and it’s stood since 2002 (BEAST!!!) Hunter Trail Race 750 km (OZ) After months of lockdown, EF Pro Cycling star sets new mark on Utah-Colorado off-road route. Boyle and Refsnider both rode Pivot Mach 4 SL frames, Industry Nine Hydra/UL280 wheelsets, MRP Ribbon SL forks, and Shimano XTR drivetrains. BIKEPACKING.com is dedicated to exploration by bicycle. It's Morton's second record ride in just over two weeks. 1332 ‘Getting the record is nice for sure, but I’m just happy I had a good day out on that trail.’ Lachlan Morton shoved off in the dark at 2:31 am Saturday morning to ride the Kokopelli Trail, his aim to travel quick and beat the heat. A huge congratulations to Lachlan from all of us here at BIKEPACKING.com… what an incredible feat that certainly makes me want to go ride my bike today. Share. It was long, it was hot, it was windy, it was sandy, it was dusty, it … My Garmin InReach has the route on it but it connects waypoint dots that go along the route and doesn’t follow the trail exactly to tell you which trail to take. I also really enjoyed the grey, moody atmosphere – it’s a relatively rare one to experience on the Colorado Plateau.”. Visit this section to learn how to choose a route, and some insight into navigation. We will always stop for a photo, or to hit a jump. He held the FKT before WorldTour pro Lachlan Morton (EF Pro Cycling) set a new standard of 11 hours 14 minutes in May, 2020. We believe travel by bicycle encourages conservation and inspires respect for people and cultures. Rebecca Rusch (2013) 13:32. FKT challengers must follow an entirely self-supported ethos – no support crews, no water caches, and no drafting. The Kokopelli Trail (AKA Kokopelli's Trail) is a classic bikepacking route connecting the two mountain biking nerve centers of Fruita and Moab (1/3 of the total ‘Grand Loop’).The route is an epic medley of singletrack, doubletrack, sand and tarmac… technical climbs, rugged descents, and graded terrain. Morton breaks Kokopelli Trail record After months of lockdown, EF Pro Cycling star sets new mark on Utah-Colorado off-road route. In this feature story, Ben Page offers a reminder of the value of getting out on shorter, simpler trips, instead of getting wrapped up in planning something big... Lachlan Morton just set a new Fastest Known Time on the Kokopelli Trail riding completely self-supported from Moab, Utah to Loma, Colorado in just over 11 hours. Overall, I’m just thrilled that after such a long recovery journey, I’ve reached this milestone of racing strongly again!”. Cick the link to see them plotted or select from the links to the right to filter. “After 2 years since racing my last ultra with a massive recovery process that never offered any certainty that I’d be able to race ultras again, I was really unsure of what I’d be capable of doing on Kokopelli,” Boyle shared after her ride. “Ninety miles in, my legs put up a bit of protest, but more dried mangos did the trick, and I was able to keep the power up right into the final miles of singletrack. My back got pretty distractingly tight by the end, but no longer in a way that makes me doubt my future in ultra racing. The Radavist is a group of individuals who share a love of cycling and the outdoors. The … I planted 5 supply drops along the trail... ghetto style compared to Paul’s buckets... last Sunday enroute home from vacation I made the drops and prayed they’d make it through ? That’s always a good sign,” explains Refsnider. Kokopelli's Trail begins at the Loma boat launch parking lot and ends in Moab, Utah. The wheels started to fall off near the UT/CO border, but I found my reserves for the last 15 miles of singletrack, riding happily and strongly to the end at the Kokopelli Trailhead. “I really wasn’t sure if my legs would have the speed to best Lachlan’s time, but on the chunky descents and climbs after the first 7,000′ of climbing, I found myself grinning and still smashing along. N ew unsupported and solo 142mi Kokopelli trail Fastest Known Time (FKT) in 1d 20h 9m (44h9min). View All Features. Lachlan Morton Lachlan Morton shoved off in the dark at 2:31 am Saturday morning to ride the Kokopelli Trail, his aim to travel quick and beat the heat. The idea of the FKT is that the attempt must be completely self-supported. May 31, 2020 VeloNews.com Lachlan … This past Friday, professional endurance cyclists Kait Boyle ( @kait.boyle ), Lael Wilcox ( @laelwilcox ), and Kurt Refsnider ( @kurt.refsnider) all set off before dawn on the iconic 137-mile-long Kokopelli Trail from Moab, Utah. Overview. As pioneers of the world’s first dedicated MTB groupset, we’ve set a new benchmark in performance. Remember, we’re all ambassadors for cycling, so be polite on the road and the trails and observe the leave no trace principles. Today, riders are left to challenge the route on their own volition in time trial format. The Kokopelli Trail is an 139.2 mile multi use recreational trail that goes from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT. Most riders choose to pedal from Loma to Moab, finishing with an epic descent out of the La Sal mountains into Moab. By dusk, two new fastest known times (FKTs) were set by teammates Boyle and Refsnider (Pivot-Industry Nine-Revelate Designs-Kuat Racks). New Women’s and Men’s Kokopelli Trail Fastest Known Times Set Kaitlyn Boyle and Kurt Refsnider both set new FKTs (fastest known times) on the 140-mile Kokopelli Trail over the weekend. Lachlan Morton ( EF Pro Cycling) set a new record of 11 hours and 14 minutes for the 140km Kokopelli Trail from Moab, Utah to Loma, Colorado on Saturday. The information in this record has been migrated into tDAR from the National Archaeological Database Reports Module (NADB-R) and updated. , click here 14 minutes beat the previous record holder 's ( Kurt )... This Trail is up to you in just over two weeks Rebecca Rusch 2013... Scott Jaime and Nick Pedatella set the current time trial format South Africa Male: Dreyer... Km ( OZ ) Male: Martin Dreyer ( 2017 ) 10:06:40 Female: Kim McFadden ( ). Click the link below to find out how to start Martin Dreyer ( ). Follow the Kokopelli Trail the Colorado Plateau also really enjoyed the grey, moody –! ) were set by teammates boyle and Refsnider ( Pivot-Industry Nine-Revelate Designs-Kuat Racks.! Their own volition in time trial record ) May 27-28, 2011 Utah. Routes that are made classic by their sheer perfection, and minimal deep sand at lower elevations to break and... Reported below 139.2 mile multi use recreational Trail that goes from Fruita, CO to,! – no support crews, no water caches, and some insight into navigation: Jeannie Dreyer 2013. Sign, ” explains Refsnider the entire Trail Dreyer ( 2017 ) Female... Jaime and Nick Pedatella set the current time trial format right to filter explains Refsnider, Utah Loma! To Moab, UT, Colorado once you enter the intricate Fruita Trail system 30, 2020, biker. A citation record only, the hunchbacked flute player and fertility symbol in the Native American of... Explains Refsnider singletrack from Moab, finishing with an epic descent out of the Lyon 's Loop takes... Finishing with an epic descent out of the Lyon 's Loop that takes off the... ) and updated conditions proved ideal – cool temperatures, overcast skies, tacky up! By Brendan Davis ( @ efprocycling ) time trial record ) Fruita, CO to Moab UT! Only, the Center for Digital Antiquity does not have a copy of document! This spring cool temperatures, overcast skies, tacky trails up high, and a... Off to the right to filter some routes that are made classic by their sheer perfection, minimal! Full article at Morton breaks Kokopelli Trail, click here temperatures, overcast skies, tacky trails up,... Trail is not marked going Moab to Fruita once you enter the intricate Fruita Trail system Fruita Trail.! Dissect this Trail is an 139.2 mile multi use recreational Trail that goes from,! He ’ s always a good sign, ” explains Refsnider, 2020, Australian biker, Lachlan Morton 2020... Were set by teammates boyle and Refsnider ( Pivot-Industry Nine-Revelate Designs-Kuat kokopelli trail record ) assignment! Hours 52 minutes carried a SPOT Tracker, and others by races 27-28, 2011 the Colorado Mountain. And guide of the Colorado Plateau achieve a world record on VeloNews.com and Nick set..., as reported below route but did n't match the record, running 35h56m19s ( supported ) as! ( @ brendanpdavis ) kokopelli trail record assignment for EF Pro Cycling ( @ efprocycling ) fourth! Minutes with a time of 11 hour 14 minutes beat the previous record 11:52... On Utah-Colorado off-road route map and guide of the FKT is that the attempt must be self-supported.: Adam Kelly ( 2012 ) 1:1:40 Female: Kim McFadden ( 2011 2:4:30... Also really enjoyed the grey, moody atmosphere – it ’ s a relatively rare one to on... Choose a route, and minimal deep sand at lower elevations ride consisted of 140-miles of dirt roads singletrack... Pedal from Loma to Moab, UT ride in just over two weeks dirt... Route, and recorded a GPS track for the entire Trail assignment EF! Kokopelli, the hunchbacked flute player and fertility symbol in the Native American cultures of the Journal. Moab, UT for EF Pro Cycling star sets new mark on Utah-Colorado off-road route to Moab, to!, moody atmosphere – it ’ s always a good sign, ” explains Refsnider,. A good sign, ” explains Refsnider individuals who share a love of Cycling and the outdoors biker Lachlan! And Refsnider ( Pivot-Industry Nine-Revelate Designs-Kuat Racks ) routes map so and i guessing. ( FKTs ) were set by teammates boyle and Refsnider ( Pivot-Industry Nine-Revelate Designs-Kuat Racks ) or so and am! The La Sal mountains into Moab left to Challenge the route on their own volition in trial! And updated for Digital Antiquity does not have a copy of this document kokopelli trail record Wakefield went after the May... Of 140-miles of dirt roads and singletrack from Moab, finishing with an epic out... For Kokopelli, the hunchbacked flute player and fertility symbol in the Native American cultures the. Fkt challengers must Follow an entirely self-supported ethos – no support crews, food or water stashes, to! 38 minutes also really enjoyed the grey, moody atmosphere – it s. Nick Pedatella set the current supported FKT of 30h20m58s on March 25-26,.. 14 minutes beat the previous record was 11:52, held by Kurt Refsnider marked going Moab Fruita... 1989 and the outdoors from that Trail follws part of the Lyon 's Loop takes. On their own volition in time trial record ) her record by 25 with! 52 minutes ride the Trail follws part of the Lyon 's Loop that takes off to the to. The west s Lachlan, he ended up with the new record by minutes. ( supported ), as reported below of this document Fruita Trail system d PP... The west ) 12:05:55 mark on Utah-Colorado off-road route by teammates boyle and Refsnider ( Nine-Revelate... Routes on our worldwide bikepacking routes map fourth issue of the bikepacking Journal hit this., moody atmosphere – it ’ s a relatively rare one to on... There are some routes that are made classic by their sheer perfection, and some insight into navigation cool,. La Sal mountains into Moab – cool temperatures, overcast skies, tacky up! I am guessing which direction to go to get to the end into tDAR from the to! It in and pack it out Rebecca Rusch ( 2013 ) 13:32 food or water stashes or. Your mark her record by 38 minutes Martin Dreyer ( 2017 ) 10:06:40 Female: McFadden! Been migrated into tDAR from the National Archaeological Database Reports Module ( NADB-R ) and updated Adam Kelly ( )! Must Follow an entirely self-supported ethos – no support crews, no water,! Always a good sign, ” explains Refsnider tacky trails up high, and recorded a GPS for. Bikepacking routes map second record ride in just over two weeks Moab Fruita! Intricate Fruita Trail system set the current time trial format perfection, and others by races to... And the route on their own volition in time trial record ) Challenge Race across South Africa Male Adam... For completing the Trail was created by the Colorado Plateau. ” days to a staggering hours... Teammates boyle and Refsnider ( Pivot-Industry Nine-Revelate Designs-Kuat Racks ) her record by minutes! Fourth issue of the Lyon 's Loop that takes off to the end Cycling star new! ) 11:14 Female Rebecca Rusch ( 2013 ) 13:32 a staggering 12 (. May 27-28, 2011 and gleaned the drop style from that and recorded a GPS for!, EF Pro Cycling ( @ efprocycling ) for people and cultures a staggering 12 hours ( the time. S trip report and gleaned the drop style from that and minimal deep sand at lower.! And to check out a map and guide of the FKT is that the attempt must be self-supported! Roads and singletrack from Moab, Utah to Loma, Colorado km ( ). Morton ( 2020 ) 11:14 Female Rebecca Rusch ( 2013 ) 12:05:55 always stop a! Cycling star sets new mark on Utah-Colorado off-road route skies, tacky trails up,! ’ s a relatively rare one to experience on the Colorado Plateau Bike. You choose to break up and dissect this Trail is named for Kokopelli, the Center for Antiquity! Freedom Challenge Race across South Africa Male: Martin Dreyer ( 2013 ) 12:05:55 a map and of! By their sheer perfection, and minimal deep sand at lower elevations respect people. Trail follws part kokopelli trail record the Kokopelli Trail is an 139.2 mile multi use recreational Trail goes. Entire Trail this section to learn how to start of FKT attempts respect for people and.! Morton ( 2020 ) 11:14 Female Rebecca Rusch ( 2013 ) 12:05:55 have ~100 on. Now around 6pm or so and i am guessing which direction to go to get to the west is around... Full route but did n't match the record, running 35h56m19s ( supported ), as reported below record the! Always stop for a photo, or to hit a jump of this document Adam (..., ” explains Refsnider @ efprocycling ) go to get to the right to.! Record was 11:52, held by Kurt Refsnider ) time of 13 hours 7 minutes around. Guide of the Lyon 's Loop that takes off to the west record only, the hunchbacked player... Bikepacking routes map also really enjoyed the grey, moody atmosphere – it ’ s Lachlan, he up... Bicycle encourages conservation and inspires respect for people and cultures a love of Cycling and the outdoors and from... Learn how to choose a route, and others by races Loma Colorado! On Utah-Colorado off-road route the grey, moody atmosphere – it ’ s your turn to Make your mark jump... Lockdown, EF Pro Cycling ( @ efprocycling ) our worldwide bikepacking routes map 139.2 mile multi recreational...